Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Closed Thread

Old 09-20-2011, 06:03 PM
~NDNAVO~

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is
Hi everyone-I live in Virginia and worked as an inmate advocate I'm retired from taking on clients but if I can help with advice please let me know.
Hi! I was wondering if there is anyway you can help me get my boyfriend transferred closer to home. His mother is very sick, she has liver cancer. Is there anything I can do to help him get closer to home? He is in Mississippi,FCI Yazoo City Medium, and we live in Missouri. There is a facility outside of St. Louis, where I live, that he would like to transfer to but neither of us really know what steps to take. Any help is GREATLY appreciated, thak you!

Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2012, 07:37 PM

He can ask for interstate trade?
Old 01-23-2012, 10:56 PM
~NDNAVO~

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhDboundfelon
He can ask for interstate trade?
I didn't think u could do that in the federal system?

Old 01-29-2012, 03:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is
I would help inmates get their legal work done very cheaply. So many in there stay in prison and can't get out jsut because they can't get their legal work done. I would also help inmates get transferred, get proper medical care, help get them out of the hole. facing prison charges etc.
How do u help them get transferred?
Old 02-15-2012, 01:47 PM
Account Closed

My husband was transferred to CA due for behavioral issues...while I'm not in denial that he can be...well, his normal self, this was blown way out of hand. he hadn't had any write ups in several years and it was due to administration not liking his being so influential. His parents are getting older and may never see him again. Is there anyway to get him moved closer to home? thank you for any advice or info anybody has. Barbara
Old 07-09-2012, 04:37 PM

Default inmate advocate

I started becoming an advocate for inmates that are in the local facility in my area because my boyfriend got locked up and there are many prisoners that can not find a way to get messages or information to people or lawyers other than through an advocate. My boyfriend started asking me to help his cellmates and I did. I do not know if there are any certificates or training I need to do this, I just kinda fell into it.
Old 01-06-2013, 03:10 PM

I'm interested in finding an inmate advocate to help someone I know, I am looking into getting him any type of help that I can. PM me
thanks
Old 04-14-2013, 10:01 AM

Default In Segregation under investigation

My husband recently wrote a letter to Bobby Scott after being refused for transfer. Mr. Scott was kind enough to write a letter requesting that the matter be looked into and several days later my husband was approved for transfer.

A couple of days later they came into his cell and took everything (legal paperwork, letters, books, photos, commissary . . .) and was told he was under investigation but not what he was being investigated for.

After seven days they moved him to segregation but did not charge him with anything. He has been there for 11 days now even though their Operating Procedure 861.3 (VI. 7) "An offender may not be held in investigative status beyond ten calendar days unless they are being investigated by the Inspector General's Office". Still no-one has told him what he is under investigation for let alone charged him with anything.

I have spoken several times with the investigator and with the counselor that has been assigned to him but they will not tell me anything without my husband signing a consent form. He had written permission out on paper but they have told him this is not acceptable but then failed to give him the correct form. It should not take this long to get a simple form signed.

A couple of days ago the investigator returned his belongings other than the stuff he can't have in segregation (food, clothing, etc.) They did find that he had too many magazines and a couple of unauthorized pictures which he is sending home but again, no charges. He used up the last of his 2 calls for the month yesterday. He told me that are other guys in there on what he called Long Term Investigation for over 6 months who are also awaiting transfer.

The have told me that he is not being punished but I don't know what else to call taking all of his priviledges away. He has been disciplinary free for over 2 years and this is how they reward him. Is there anything that can be done or do I just have to pray his transfer comes through?
Old 04-14-2013, 09:28 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,592 Posts

Sorry you are dealing with all of this; it is miserable not knowing what to do, or if there is anything that can be done. I guess my first question is, does your husband want you to fight this? I ask as sometimes it can make things worse; I have had to agree with my LO that I would not advocate unless he cleared it first. Sometimes my "it isn't fair" nature can get the better of me--and make it worse for him. I am wondering if your system has an Ombudsman, or if there is an office of ombudsman located within your state. This may be a good place to contact. Another resource could be the ACLU; one of their major initiatives is to end prison solitary confinement and this serves as an excellent example. I am hopeful that better minds will contribute to your situation...good luck.

So...What's your point?

The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (02-23-2017)
Old 04-16-2013, 09:08 PM

Yes. He has asked me to see what I can do. I have been trying to get them to give him the paper to sign for release of information so they can tell me why he is under investigation for 14 days now. They won't tell him what they are supposedly investigating. I told them I have a power of attorney so they should just send me the form and I'll sign it myself. He just took my number and never called back. So now I am at that point where I am not sure I am doing more harm than good. They told me today that even though they were past the ten days allowed for investigation they just transferred his status to Administrative segregation pending investigation and that they could keep him there as long as they pleased.

Thanks for your help!

I appreciate your suggestions. I had thought about the ACLU but was not sure if they would be willing to help with "minor" issues. I will contact them and look to see of there is an ombudsman. I had not thought of that.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:52 PM

Default To the retired Virginia advocate.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcbc_is View Post
Hi everyone-I live in Virginia and worked as an inmate advocate I'm retired from taking on clients but if I can help with advice please let me know.
I have a friend in Sussex I State Prison. In February of 2013 my friend was given a painting job on the prison crew. The prison did not provide ladders for ceiling work; the crew was given chairs and rolling food carts to stand on. My friend was on a cart and fell off when the cart shifted. The prison waited a couple of days to x-ray his shoulder; since then he has had no medical treatment for this injury. A number of days later he had another inmate help him put his shoulder back in place. Since then the shoulder has gotten worse and is now involving his neck and the side of his head.

He has filed numerous complaints and requests for treatment to no avail. What can I do to help him get the treatment he needs? What can I suggest he do for himself? Thanks Chris
Old 06-21-2013, 02:39 AM

I support your work, prison is a bad place, one would understand if he has been through the system we give a helping hand in need. No matter who, what you have done, everyone deserved to be treated fairly and equally.
Old 10-11-2013, 10:55 PM

Default Need advice

Quote:
Hello, I need advice on a controversal issue regarding an inmate located in Virginia. This inmate was convicted to a crime he didnt commit, and there is proof of his innocence. He was sentenced to 95 years in prison. Please email me at (details removed in accordance to PTO policy. Please Pm member for info )

Last edited by lisainengland; 10-12-2013 at 03:50 AM..
Old 07-04-2015, 10:49 PM

I'd like to bump this post and say I am very interested in prison advocacy I am in portland oregon and anyone can message me if they want to collaborate. I have a background in data analysis and am working on a paralegal certificate. :-)
Old 10-07-2016, 11:58 AM

Default Can a Judge refuse a prisoner wearing outdoor clothes?

Quote:
I hope you can! I am new to the legal system and the UK and US system differs considerably.

Is it normal in the USA for a Judge to refuse a prisoner from wearing outdoor clothes during a trial?

What is the rationale for this decision? Is it to dehumanised the prisoner, or for further humiliation of the prisoner?
Old 10-08-2016, 02:32 PM
Donation Award 

Default My hubby and friend hubby were allowed to wear outside clothes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esther112014 View Post
I hope you can! I am new to the legal system and the UK and US system differs considerably.

Is it normal in the USA for a Judge to refuse a prisoner from wearing outdoor clothes during a trial?

What is the rationale for this decision? Is it to dehumanised the prisoner, or for further humiliation of the prisoner?

There was a big article on this but cant find it anywhere. It is to their advantage I believe to wear street clothes. I have not heard of a judge refusing this . but always the first time. I would speak to his attorney.
I had to prepare six sets for trial as did my friend.

(WE WILL BE 78 YEARS OLD)

I PRAY THE LORD KEEPS US BOTH IN HIS CARE.
Old 02-18-2017, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by christi0804 View Post
I know this guy who is in Lawtey Correctional Institution in Raiford, Fl. On Christmas day he was injured while working in the kitchen. One of the skillets with 400 degree water tip over on to his legs. He has 3rd and 4th degree burns and they refusing him medical attention. Now hie legs are started to turn green from infection. His been writing them daily asking to see a doctor. What should he do now?
I'd recommend pressing personal injury case
Old 02-21-2017, 08:21 PM

Please PM me! I have a fiance and a son that are incarcerated and I was hoping you can help me by PMing me so I can ask you a couple questions! Thank you! You're help will be greatly appreciated!
Old 02-21-2017, 08:33 PM
Site Moderator Gone Mad

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Thanked 13,882 Times in 5,341 Posts

The person who started this thread hasn't logged in for seven years. If you're looking for assistance, I would try posting your specific questions in the forum specific to your state.
Closed Thread