Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Lost in the System
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Lost in the System Are you having problems locating someone in jail or prison? Place your missing person ad in this forum, as well as find out what resources & techniques others are using to find loved ones in the system.

Old 03-14-2015, 09:38 AM

Exclamation Joe Williams, Sing Sing Soprano Sax

In December 1972--before he had an album out--Bruce Springsteen did a show at Sing Sing.And two weeks before that, B.B. King did a Thanksgiving Day 1972 show there.

For years I have been obsessed by the story of an inmate who jumped onstage at both of those shows, and played a small, soprano
saxophone--and through some research I have determined that his name was Joe Williams.

I want to do a story about prison life post-Attica, and want to center
it on a real person--in this case, Joe Williams. He was about 5'3" tall, and very muscled. My research has taken me to online databases but I have not been able to come up with anything about him, or whether he is alive (he would be in his mid-Seventies today). In the attached photograph Joe is in the center playing soprano sax with B.B. King.

I did locate one inmate named "Dallas" who spent some time with Joe Williams at Attica in the late Sixties.

I am writing to ask for your help--any suggestions you might have as to someone I can contact, or some other approach I might take, would be greatly appreciated at the email address Removed per policy; Please contact member via pm system
Attached Images
File Type: jpg joe williams.jpg (563.8 KB, 14 views)

Last edited by patchouli; 03-14-2015 at 08:18 PM.. Reason: removed email address
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2015, 08:20 PM
PTO Administrator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 29,333 Times in 13,663 Posts

Representation of PTO
We are proud of our community and welcome members of the Media or Researchers to enter into dialogue with us about our aims, objectives and site structure.
As this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature towards the families of those incarcerated.
PTO is not a dating site nor is it in any way a campaigning or political community. We are not affiliated to any religious organisation and operate an open door, equal-opportunity environment.
Any representation that suggests otherwise is not acceptable and we ask that you do not use our name in any such article or presentation.

Disclaimer for Members (Media Representatives)
PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any researchers or involved research institution.
PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from a research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.
Members contact media representatives at their own risk and under their own cognisance.

Media/Journalist/Researchers – Requirements for PTO Membership/Acceptable Conduct
PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.
We do, occasionally, allow media/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members.
Any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members.
Members of the media must obtain permission from PTO Administration before posting requests for information and/or contact details.
Media/Researchers who send unsolicited messages or post requests for information without express permission may be removed from this community.
Click Here
Old 12-15-2016, 12:55 PM

Default Joe Williams

I am not associated with any media or media outlet--I am an individual who is simply trying to locate what may have happened to the Joe Williams mentioned in my original post. I understand the need to be circumspect and to respect the privacy of all individuals. Eventually, if I am amble to locate Mr. Williams, I might--with his written permission--do a story about his time at Sing Sing. Thank you.

- Eric Meola, removed phone number per policy

Quote:
Originally Posted by patchouli View Post
Representation of PTO
We are proud of our community and welcome members of the Media or Researchers to enter into dialogue with us about our aims, objectives and site structure.
As this is a prisoner-oriented site, any media stories evolving from PTO communication should be that of a positive nature towards the families of those incarcerated.
PTO is not a dating site nor is it in any way a campaigning or political community. We are not affiliated to any religious organisation and operate an open door, equal-opportunity environment.
Any representation that suggests otherwise is not acceptable and we ask that you do not use our name in any such article or presentation.

Disclaimer for Members (Media Representatives)
PTO does not endorse any media outlet, journalist, member of the media or media story/report, or any researchers or involved research institution.
PTO does not screen or authenticate any person(s) claiming to be from the media or from a research institution, nor does PTO authenticate their motivations for obtaining the information.
Members contact media representatives at their own risk and under their own cognisance.

Media/Journalist/Researchers – Requirements for PTO Membership/Acceptable Conduct
PTO welcomes journalists and/or members of the media to learn and educate themselves about prisons, prisoners, and their loved ones, as well as students and researchers doing research on these subjects.
We do, occasionally, allow media/researchers to request information and personal stories from our members.
Any information obtained from this site must be credited to Prisontalk.com and its members.
Members of the media must obtain permission from PTO Administration before posting requests for information and/or contact details.
Media/Researchers who send unsolicited messages or post requests for information without express permission may be removed from this community.

Last edited by sass4221; 12-15-2016 at 01:42 PM..
Old 12-15-2016, 02:25 PM

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,682 Posts

All inmates whether released or still incarcerated are listed on the NYS Doc inmate locater. It will tell you if he has been released or is still locked up. If he's still in jail, you could write him.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:02 PM

Default He Doesn't Show Up

Unfortunately Joe Williams is a common name and I only have an approximate birth year--1930. And I'm not even sure how accurate that is. I've tried looking at all the matches and none of them seem to be "him".

Quote:
Originally Posted by thatwiz View Post
All inmates whether released or still incarcerated are listed on the NYS Doc inmate locater. It will tell you if he has been released or is still locked up. If he's still in jail, you could write him.
Old 12-15-2016, 03:22 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,674 Times in 7,090 Posts

Have you contacted some of the Attica prisoners from the riot? Or the woman who just released a book about the attica prison riots (very good book, btw) - they would be the people I'd start with.

If you're doing research of any kind for any reason, they do the media warning.

Good luck with your search. Let me know if you connect - I would start with the woman who wrote Blood in the Water - released in August of this year. https://www.amazon.com/Blood-Water-A.../dp/0375423222
link to the Amazon page for it. She's about as current as you're going to get with prisoners who were in the riot. She's also a good resource for finding inmates who were there.
Old 12-15-2016, 05:10 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,195 Times in 10,380 Posts

He would be 86 years old if he is still around. I hope he is, and you can locate him.