Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 04-06-2016, 02:07 PM

Default Second Chance Act

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandjen View Post
Everyone listen--A new LAW has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to NOT give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..Sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers ANYONE can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..The rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. PM member) Its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.
Hello, my husband is eligible for 6 months of halfway house time in April 2017. How can we request the additional HH time through Second Chance Act? Need to know what steps to take and where the forms are that you mentioned. Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 04-06-2016, 04:38 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,196 Times in 10,380 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. The decision on additional half way house time is totally up to the bop. It used to be impossible, a big joke to the staff, but now I have read where some inmates have been given more than 6 months in a HWH. Your husband needs to discuss it with his unit team case manager, who will make the recommendation to the warden on the amount of HWH they will recommend.

Then it will be up to the HWH to say if they have an available bed on the date the bop requests. If not, he will be sent there when they can accommodate him.

No forms that I am aware of (that post was from 2010), and definitely don't count on it until it actually happens.
Old 05-27-2016, 05:00 AM

Default 2nd chance act forms

Can you pm me the forms for the 2nd chance act please----

Quote:
Originally Posted by chrisandjen View Post
everyone listen--a new law has been passed entitling each inmate review for 12 months halfway house. Instead of special circumstances being needed for more than 30-60 days, it is now a law that special circumstances are required to not give 12 months. This is great progress, but if you don't push for it, you won't get it. The jails are still working off the old system, and will continue to do so if we don't push for our rights. To get considered for more than 30-60 days, you will need to submit a form and a writ to the court..sounds difficult but it is not. I have the exact papers anyone can copy and fill in the proper name, case number, charge, and date of release..the rest is cookie cutter. If you need help, contact me at (email removed per policy. Pm member) its a simple process. I've done it for my husband and we've helped a fellow inmate that has no family on the outside. Its that easy. Be pro active and help get your family reunited faster. ....or you could just sit back and wait for the full sentence to be served..its up to you.
Old 05-27-2016, 03:03 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome to Prison Talk. That post is from 2010.
Old 06-07-2016, 10:00 PM
Richard's WVGURL

How does this work? My boyfriend got 5 months and 2 months halfway house. Can we get this? He got it for dirty UA's.
Old 06-08-2016, 07:56 AM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

It depends on what the prison decides to do with him. If the judge's order specifies 2 months in a HWH, that's probably what he will get. Most supervised release violation sentences of less than a full year serve every day of it before they are released.
Old 08-22-2016, 11:43 AM
7721dan

Default Re: 2nd chance act

What is it that the case manager or Bop looks for in an inmate to give him the most halfway house time available
Old 08-22-2016, 01:59 PM
Site Moderator

Donation Award 

I don't know, but I have read that a shortage of available HWH space is one factor for denying anything beyond 10%.

My opinion is that the bop has to be dragged, kicking & screaming, before they ever do anything that is beneficial to their prisoners, see also "compassionate release".

When I brought the 2nd chance act up to my unit team, they all laughed.