Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 08-20-2016, 02:00 AM

Default Nevada and it's failure to comply with Obama's sentencing reform

Nevada is the only state now to reform it's sentencing laws. They still refuse to put a cap on an inmates release date. Even despite Obama cutting off federal funding for Nevada's prisons, they still refuse to give in.They do not want to release anyone because they do not want to be seen as "soft" on their approach to dealing with crime. I have a question that I hop someone can help me with. I want to know if anyone has any up to date information on this issue. I want to be able to find out if they are making any progress. I have not been able to find anything on where to go to be able to follow their progress if any. I would be very grateful if someone can give me any accurate information or info on where I can go to get this info. Thanks
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2016, 07:47 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,202 Times in 10,384 Posts

Welcome to Prison Talk. I hope you are able to find answers from people who know.
Old 08-20-2016, 08:37 AM

Thanked 9,777 Times in 5,512 Posts

Few States have taken action simply because the PotUS wants it with regard to sentencing. I know the last serious overhaul in Texas came well before Obummer was even in a thought in anyone's mind at the national level. Further, there ARE revisions to sentencing in any jurisdiction, it is rarely something that is retroactive.

It is unclear what you mean by 'refusing to put a cap on release dates.' A sentence is what a sentence is...the statutes make it abundantly clear whether there is any sort of mandatory release prior to the expiration date. It's part of what amounts to truth in sentencing. Problems with non-discretionary releases are a large part of why, for example, Texas began reigning in mandatory supervision in 1987 and had ended non-discretionary mandatory supervision effective with offenses committed September 1, 1996 (20 years ago).

Federal funds do little to drive the prison budgets in MOST States.