Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TX State Jails, Private Prisons, Treatment & Parole Facilities Forums > Formby State Jail - Texas
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Old 09-20-2004, 10:41 AM
God, I miss him

Unhappy ????Good Time in State Jail????? Formby Unit - Texas

Am I right to understand that there is no possibility of good time in state jail? I am so confused about all of this. I was also told that there was a law passed a few years ago that allowed for good time, but it wasn't effective until Sept. 1st of 2004 and they (TDCJ) aren't required, but are allowed to grant good time. My Husband is currently serving a 21 month sentence in the Marshall Formby Unit in Plainview, Tx. and I don't know anything about this kind of stuff. Can anyone help me? Thank you
Sponsored Links
Old 09-20-2004, 11:01 AM

Not sure on that one. I thought state jail was a one day for one day serve but the way TDC does things who knows.

I'm sure someone will be by soon with the info you need.

Good Luck!

Old 09-20-2004, 11:55 AM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,143 Times in 596 Posts

If he is doing state jail time it is day for day. Now if he is doing tdc time and is just housed at a state jail he should be able to get the time credits. unless of course it is an 3g offense, where there is no good time counted towards sentance
Old 09-20-2004, 01:36 PM
God, I miss him

I do appologize for my stupidity, but what exactly is a 3g offense? This is just all new to me, I have no idea how the system works, other than it doesn't work right!! But I do appreciate ANY info anyone can provide for me. Thank you again
Old 09-20-2004, 01:49 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

I got this straight from the TDCJ web page. I hope this helps clarify things for you. let me know if you have anymore questions. I will be glad to help. It can definately be very confusing.

"3G" Offense refers to the offenses listed in Article 42.12, Section 3G of the Texas Code of Criminal Procedure. Offenders convicted of a "3G" offense encounter highly restrictive conditions of discretionary release, including a higher percentage of calendar time served before being considered for release. Examples of "3G" offenses are murder, capital murder, indecency with a child (with sexual contact), sexual assault of a child, aggravated kidnapping, aggravated sexual assault, aggravated robbery, use of a deadly weapon, and any offense with an affirmative weapon finding.

State Jail Offenders are offenders sentenced to confinement in a state jail facility after being convicted of a state jail felony. The maximum sentence length for these offenders is 2 years.
Old 09-20-2004, 01:52 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

I found this also i hope it helps explain it a little.. This was on the TDCJ website.
http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/publicat...goodcondct.htm

Good Conduct Time

Many offenders may shorten their prison stay by earning time credit for good behavior and by participation in work and other programs. This privilege is not available to State Jail offenders (Article 42.12, Section 15 (h) (I), Code of Criminal Justice). Accumulated good conduct time may be forfeited as punishment for violation of institutional rules or refusal to participate in required treatment programs.

The two principal time-earning categories, state approved trusty and line class, each have different time-earning levels with a specific number of days that can be earned for each month actually served. Besides behavior in prison, the amount of good time that can be earned is also affected by the circumstances of the offense of conviction as determined by the sentencing court and by the State laws relevant to good conduct time that were in effect when the offense was committed.

Good conduct time may apply to an offender’s prison confinement in terms of eligibility for release to parole or mandatory supervision. For certain offenders serving sentences for assaultive offenses, good conduct time is not used to calculate parole eligibility. TDCJ Board policy does not allow offenders to regain that good conduct time that was lost due to disciplinary action.

Last edited by MoMo; 09-20-2004 at 01:53 PM..
Old 09-20-2004, 02:03 PM
God, I miss him

I really do appreciate the info, and I had recently been to that website, and read about the fact that state jail offenders were not eligable for good time. But my husband had heard "rumors" about the state passing a new law or house bill on sept. 1st of this year, and had said something about good time. So I contacted his "court appointed" lawyer, and asked him about this. He told me that it wasn't a new law, it was passed a few years ago, but didn't come into affect untill the 1st of this month, and TDCJ wasn't "required" to give good time for state offenders, but was allowed to. So that got my hopes way up. Do you think he was just feeding me a line? Should I contact another criminal justice attorney and ask the same question? I'm just all out of ideas on what to do. :::frustrated:::
Old 09-20-2004, 02:15 PM
Texas Tornado
Donation Award 

I would call the classifications section of the unit he is on and ask them your question. i personally have not heard of this "new" law. That or you can call 936-295-6371 and ask for classifications and they could probably tell you.

I hope this helps.
Old 09-20-2004, 02:20 PM
God, I miss him

I think I will give that a try. I hope they don't run me around in circles!! Thanks again