Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation > Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Testimonies and Success Stories Information, inspiration, and resources for addiction.

Old 01-28-2015, 10:56 PM
It's all I have left.
Donation Award 

Question Any stories of crack addicts successfully managing their addictions?

I'm looking for a little encouragement. Unbeknownst to me, my ex-husband was an active crack addict when we got married. I've been through all of the chaos, heartache, and drama that is stereotypical for a relationship with an addict. Despite the fact that I loved him I had to divorce him to keep him from taking me down with him. He is currently incarcerated as an indirect result of his addiction. I continue to love him, but I do so from a distance. I offer support and encouragement, but I made the decision to no longer allow him to have close proximity to the inner circle of my heart until I could be reassured that his addiction is effectively managed.

Everything that I've read and many people who have been in this position before indicate that the statistics for recovery for those with this specific addiction are dismal. I'm desperately hoping that there are some success stories out there - that there indeed is a way to beat this chemical demon.

Thank you in advance. I look forward to your responses.

Counting time one day at a time.

Last edited by clingingtohope; 01-28-2015 at 10:59 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 01-29-2015, 06:43 AM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,480 Times in 10,034 Posts

There are some good stories, but certainly not many. Probably the best of them is Patty, one of our RED staff members, but she's on vacation right now.
clingingtohope (01-29-2015), Wendy1918 (01-31-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 07:12 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,639 Times in 673 Posts

I don't know any crack addicts, but one of my best friends is an ex-meth addict who has been clean almost 2 decades now. Financially he has not been very successful, but he has stayed clean through great adversity. He is active in NA, and when I say active I mean it is pretty much the focus of his social life. As a friend, I could not ask for a better one. I know meth and crack are two different things, but I have heard they are both just has hard to stay off of.

I don't know if that helps, but I can tell you this. You have to ignore statistics when it comes to someone you know personally. I was told that statistically with my background I stood a less than 5 percent chance of staying out of trouble for more than 3 months when I was released. My chance of living down a 15 year parole was next to zero. Guess what? That was 15 years ago and I am still out and still crime free. So much for statistics.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (01-29-2015), Wanderer77 (01-30-2015)
Old 01-29-2015, 10:43 PM
It's all I have left.
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nimuay View Post
There are some good stories, but certainly not many. Probably the best of them is Patty, one of our RED staff members, but she's on vacation right now.
Thanks, nimuay. I'll do a search on her name.

Old 01-29-2015, 10:44 PM
It's all I have left.
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Checker View Post
I don't know any crack addicts, but one of my best friends is an ex-meth addict who has been clean almost 2 decades now. Financially he has not been very successful, but he has stayed clean through great adversity. He is active in NA, and when I say active I mean it is pretty much the focus of his social life. As a friend, I could not ask for a better one. I know meth and crack are two different things, but I have heard they are both just has hard to stay off of.

I don't know if that helps, but I can tell you this. You have to ignore statistics when it comes to someone you know personally. I was told that statistically with my background I stood a less than 5 percent chance of staying out of trouble for more than 3 months when I was released. My chance of living down a 15 year parole was next to zero. Guess what? That was 15 years ago and I am still out and still crime free. So much for statistics.
Appreciate that perspective, Real Checker.

Old 01-30-2015, 06:37 AM
Spook's Lazy Butt

my ex husband of 5 years was a crack addict when i met him, and still was when i left, and she was there in his life 10 years prior to my relationship with him, his snow white in the form of a rock always came before i did. it was the hardest thing i had to go through in my life, the relationship ended. iv been through it all watching him and dealing with his addiction, never thought it was as serious as it was. Overall what i learned is people have to want to change, nothing in the world will make them unless they want too, it came before his own son and myself. I understand what your going through, But i do know people who have came off meth and been clean for years, from my understanding they are both very hard to get off of.

The Following User Says Thank You to LillyVphoenix For This Useful Post:
clingingtohope (01-30-2015)
Old 01-30-2015, 06:26 PM
It's all I have left.
Donation Award 

Thanks for sharing this, LillyV. Like you, this is the hardest thing that I've ever had to live through in my life. Looking down the road I never could have comprehended that I would have experienced the things in my life that I've experienced with him.

Old 04-20-2016, 09:11 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,598 Times in 791 Posts

20 + years of being a crack addict I have been clean over 13 years. was it easy ? NO. Is it any easier ? Some days yes other days I still crave that crazy life style of chasing crack. I just have to check myself and call up on my higher power to guide me through the rough days. Enjoy the rest of the days of being free
HisSoul (05-12-2016), patchouli (04-20-2016), sidewalker (04-22-2016), WeepingWillow (04-20-2016)