Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The War on Drugs - and the results of it
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

The War on Drugs - and the results of it A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: people who get drug and or related cases should get sentenced to?
some kind of rehab to overcome addiction 489 94.40%
go straight to jail - "I have no sympathy for DOPERS!" 29 5.60%
Voters: 518. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-25-2011, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mom in fremont
YOU Are right!!!!!
I totally agree with u on this. I know when a person has abused drugs and they like the way it feels well most everyone like sex after they try it right. Well try telling a person they can't have sex for the rest of their lives. Uh hello! Its the same when using drugs. No one can tell me they didn't give themselves a hand job or two and not tell anyone.

Sent from my T-Mobile myTouch 3G Slide using PrisonTalk

The Following User Says Thank You to michelio For This Useful Post:
monkeychatter (04-28-2014)
Sponsored Links
Old 06-26-2011, 08:25 PM
bigd'sgirl

i agree that the sentences for non-violent drug charges are way too harsh. my husband is serving 4 yrs for 4gms of cocaine, 1st drug offense, had turned life around, was clean and had started his own autobody business several months before he was actually charged. our county doesn't have drug courts like some of the neighboring counties or he would be home serving supervised probation, going thru drug rehab and other programs instead of being locked in a cell 19 of 24 hrs with nothing to do but stare at 3 walls and go crazy
The Following User Says Thank You to bigd'sgirl For This Useful Post:
Msnat (04-02-2013)
Old 02-20-2012, 03:51 PM

I honestly believe that a drug addict needs rehab, not prison. Especially first time offenders. My boyfriend is 22 an prior to prison he had a horrible addiction to Meth. He was accompanied by his cousin in making Meth. They are both first time offenders an caught a 6 year an 9 month sentence..they did a bad thing an deserve to be corrected, but 6 years an 9 months is ridiculous.. they need help an I feel like in prison they are not gonna get it.. would you honestly put a man dying from cancer in prison just because he has cancer. No absolutely not. Just like cancer drug addiction is a sickness that needs treatment .. I've been through addiction myself and rehab is the reason im 3 years sober.. had someone put me in prison it would have made me angry an bitter and I would still be using. These men an women need our help and something needs to be done to keep them from re-offending..
The Following User Says Thank You to Andreah For This Useful Post:
Valerie (03-17-2012)
Old 02-20-2012, 04:06 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

Prison should be reserved for violent offenders only, and for those who cannot or will not attempt to improve themselves or make restitution to their victims (most thieves and embezzlers, to my mind, ought to be put to work to repay what they have stolen). I have no sympathy for anyone who sells drugs to kids (even though taking him off the streets only leads to someone else stepping into the vacancy), and do not believe they should receive leniency. However, it is ridiculous to hand out a multi-year sentence to someone merely because they had some substance in a pocket or were indulging in said substance at home.

In particular, it is hypocritical to the extreme to prosecute possessors or users of marijuana while the government has no objection to alcohol and tobacco, receiving lucrative tax revenues from both. To my knowledge, no one has ever died directly from the use of marijuana (excepting those who attempt to drive while stoned or the like). The mere use of alcohol and tobacco kills hundreds of thousands of Americans every year.

It seems odd, also, to imprison meth users when millions of Americans are on various prescribed amphetamine derivatives for ADHD and other conditions (in some cases, WEIGHT LOSS!). There are abundant treatment resources available for addicts which will yield far better results than planting FELON on someone's forehead, effectively placing him on the fringes of society for life.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
hisgurl2012 (03-14-2014), MrsCetina (04-20-2012), Valerie (03-17-2012)
Old 06-08-2012, 12:59 PM
I miss my son!!!

I have one better than that that makes me so, so mad. My son at 18 yrs old sold on two separate occassions within a week of each other to a "so called friend" a few pills. One was 3 pills for $20 and other was 7 pills for $50. It was adderall and Xanax. I don't remember which was which though. The "friend" was a sheriff dept's CI and was wired for video. He initially received TWO counts of sale of controlled substance and received TWO 20 yr felony convictions, 18 yrs suspended and serve 2 yrs in a trusty program at the county jail. He was convicted and went into the program in July 2011. He did so well in the program that within five months he moved to the highest position in the trust program. Well, the officers involved in the arrests didn't like the fact that my son had changed and was doing great. They made up all kinds of lies about him as well as his father and I which caused him to get kicked out of the program. On May 21, 2012 he was resentenced to TWO 20 yr sentences, 10 yrs suspended and 10 years to serve (will be served at same time, concurrently I think) because professionals held a personal grudge against him and could not stand to see him improve himself. My son was a first time offender. How is this right? How is it right for police/officers/etc. to use kids to use other kids to get their arrests rates up and throw these kids in jail/prison BUT not help any of them? Unless you are parents that have lots of money and can buy your kids out of it this is what is happening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andreah View Post
I honestly believe that a drug addict needs rehab, not prison. Especially first time offenders. My boyfriend is 22 an prior to prison he had a horrible addiction to Meth. He was accompanied by his cousin in making Meth. They are both first time offenders an caught a 6 year an 9 month sentence..they did a bad thing an deserve to be corrected, but 6 years an 9 months is ridiculous.. they need help an I feel like in prison they are not gonna get it.. would you honestly put a man dying from cancer in prison just because he has cancer. No absolutely not. Just like cancer drug addiction is a sickness that needs treatment .. I've been through addiction myself and rehab is the reason im 3 years sober.. had someone put me in prison it would have made me angry an bitter and I would still be using. These men an women need our help and something needs to be done to keep them from re-offending..

Old 06-08-2012, 03:46 PM
The Janitor Of God

Thanked 1,115 Times in 555 Posts

How does this sort of thing benefit society in any way? On top of everything else, your son apparently has medical problems and almost undoubtedly will not receive treatment or medication for in prison.

How much does it cost to keep someone in prison for 10 years these days? What is the cost to society for the ten years that person is not gainfully employed, self-sufficient, and paying taxes? Here is one less worker, one less consumer, one less contributor to his community. What is that worth?

I won't discuss time with family/friends/significant other because that is beyond price. So is the basic principle of Justice, which in a free society should be capitalized, but I begin to wonder about America more and more each day.

If you have a petition/Facebook page/what have you for your son, please let me know by PM if you prefer. I am swamped with various activities at present, but will do my best to make time if I can be of help in any way. If you can provide me with the state/facility/jurisdiction (state/federal) he is in, I may have some suggestions. No need for names at this point since you don't know me--I cannot reasonably expect your trust unless and until I have earned it.

THIS NUT WON'T CRACK

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DaveMoff For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (10-13-2012), queenlynch (11-01-2012), SusanWayward (06-08-2012)
Old 04-01-2013, 02:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslilbaby
I totally agree, It is just that, say a young dumb kid gets caught dealing and they throw this kid in a place with murders, rapists, it doesn't seem right... u know?
What's happening there and here is that state governments are buying into prison privatizations! Corrections Cooperation of America (CCA) is a big prison buisiness! The buy prisons in certain states,and the governor of that state enters a contract with them that promises to keep their prisons at least 90% full for 20 years!!!! IKR!! And their target is non~violent offenders! Since the state owned prisons get the violent offenders! And by keeping the quotas met...their are kickbacks to your local D.A.s,Judges,& sheriff dpt.!
Old 04-02-2013, 09:17 AM
Loving a Lifer!
Donation Award 

hmmm... depends on the circumstances. i was arrested 23 years ago with less than a 1/4 gram of cocaine. i was not an addict. i did it sporadically when i went to a club. that would have been ridiculous to send me to prison. i did have to go to an outpatient rehab. that was ridiculous too since i rarely did drugs. i was also had to go to narcotics anonymous. i was nothing like the people there. they were addicts. i never was... i am drug free today. :-)

Last edited by luv2run; 04-02-2013 at 09:18 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to luv2run For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (04-25-2013)
Old 04-02-2013, 10:41 PM

Wink

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigd'sgirl View Post
i agree that the sentences for non-violent drug charges are way too harsh. my husband is serving 4 yrs for 4gms of cocaine, 1st drug offense, had turned life around, was clean and had started his own autobody business several months before he was actually charged. our county doesn't have drug courts like some of the neighboring counties or he would be home serving supervised probation, going thru drug rehab and other programs instead of being locked in a cell 19 of 24 hrs with nothing to do but stare at 3 walls and go crazy
I totally agree. I think they are way to harsh on people with non-violent drug charges...especially 1st drug offense!! They dont even give them a second chance to better themselves.. Rather give them 7 years..without providing at least outside services with supervision.. I just feel there is a better alternative, then throwing them in the slammer for soo long :-(
The Following User Says Thank You to Msnat For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (04-25-2013)
Old 04-25-2013, 01:41 PM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Exactly and that raises the question that isn't part of this poll: Should the possession, use and small scale "distribution" of drugs even be a crime?

How about saving court ordered rehab for people who are committing other crimes that can be linked back to their drug addiction, because they're kinda proving they can't handle drug use responsbily?

And leave people who are functional/recreational users alone?

Drug user does not equal drug addict.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithsGrl View Post
hmmm... depends on the circumstances. i was arrested 23 years ago with less than a 1/4 gram of cocaine. i was not an addict. i did it sporadically when i went to a club. that would have been ridiculous to send me to prison. i did have to go to an outpatient rehab. that was ridiculous too since i rarely did drugs. i was also had to go to narcotics anonymous. i was nothing like the people there. they were addicts. i never was... i am drug free today. :-)
Old 05-19-2013, 12:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AngelFaceAlbion View Post
Like my fiance says..being in jail/prison isn't going to help..it's just going to make it worse and want that person to rebel worse once they get out. In post 'down state' prisons in PA (im not sure about other states) you can get more drugs than you could on the streets. I mean how the heck is that suppose to help? its not! My fiance tried to get into NA and the DOC won't let him because he's 'not sentenced yet', is what they tell him. They're are denying him self help. How are people spose to help themselves,when they are denied it..grr..i REALLY hate the government..

~*Angel*~
I totally agree with you...my fiance said the same thingabout how bad the drugs are in prison and on top. of that guards help them bring it in. if everyone is saying rehab don't work its because they don't want it to or because the rehabs should be better. i went to a rehab before(outpatient) it was a joke too, but if the states were to put in place better rehab facilities instead of prison then i believe society would be much better of! Education is what is needed!
The Following User Says Thank You to louis'girl For This Useful Post:
cocoa1966 (03-12-2014)
Old 05-19-2013, 08:18 AM

Well what sense does it make to throw away the keys to drug addicts and then, allow murders to go free. Treatment and mental health is lacking in this country and the answer has been jail. Makes no sense.

Last edited by thismom2; 05-19-2013 at 08:20 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to thismom2 For This Useful Post:
cocoa1966 (03-12-2014)
Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by joeslilbaby View Post
I know a ton of other things would consider each case different, but drug charges in general are what I am referring to here..
Is prison the answer for the people who get caught up in an addiction?
California has new laws for drug cases to go to rehab's insteed.... what do you think?
I agree, that most people who are caught up in a drug charge are addicts seeking more drugs
Old 03-12-2014, 01:41 PM

Rehab not Jail.
Old 04-06-2014, 05:32 AM

I used rehab and 12 step as a sort of retreat a knowing there's something better out there than the life i was living, just so I could ease my shame and created a false sense of security heading right back at it with "confidence" so I can relate to your point, but on the contrary 9 out of 10 addicts don't find help unless its forced with sever consequences and unfortunately the fear of death doesn't coincide in most cases but our freedom and separation from loved ones, well that's fairly effective. so I agree with the poll option of rehabilitation a must.
The Following User Says Thank You to inlandburton For This Useful Post:
utelady101 (04-06-2014)
Old 04-11-2014, 01:17 AM

At the medium-security facility I work at, probably well over 60% of the men there in the facility are in for drug-related charges. A lot of them were selling to support their own substance abuse issue, so I personally don't think that locking up first-time offenders is going to cure them of the underlying cause of their crime (selling drugs). My facility has 2 drug/alcohol treatment units where individuals who are in for drug-related offenses spend time in a program.

My main issue with locking people up for drug-related crimes is that prison time further stigmatizes the individual and separates them from society so they are now a 'felon' as well as an 'addict'. Even after they successfully complete the treatment program and complete their sentence/parole out early with good behavior--it's going to be more difficult for them to find employment, housing, etc. since they now have a felony on their record. Prisons are also pretty much the easiest places to get drugs of any kind and you don't need money to buy them--commissary items are traded frequently for drugs. My facility is pretty thorough about regular searches, and we still find drugs all over the place...not exactly the best environment for someone trying to stay away from drugs, eh?
The Following User Says Thank You to mcatalina For This Useful Post:
barbie16118 (04-11-2014)
Old 04-15-2014, 08:14 PM
Liz

Prison doesn't solve the problem. As a mother and ex~wife of an alcoholic, 3 week treatment centers don't work either. Yes in both cases there was follow up. But we need to admit we have not learned how to effectively treat addiction.

Further, with private prisons in business, there is no incentive to cure and there is the financial incentive to fill up beds we are paying for under contract regardless of empty or occupied.
Old 04-27-2014, 12:10 AM
In His Space
Donation Award 

They need to help individuals who get these drug charges instead of trying to throw the book at them. Yet, the penal system is built to benefit those who are trying to make money and keep money floating.
Old 04-28-2014, 04:49 PM
Manny

My son was in a program and got released early due to over crowding and now back on drugs. GO figure.
Old 05-18-2015, 02:17 PM
Banned

Well it depends what they are doing to get the charges.

If they are shooting robbing and stealing for drugs then maybe the should get in trouble for breaking the law.

If its just simple use then they should get help. America is becoming a joke and so is the war on drugs.

Make the shit regulated and legal and we will have the same useage without this money machine called prison.
Old 06-30-2015, 01:05 PM

Quote:
I totally agree, It is just that, say a young dumb kid gets caught dealing and they throw this kid in a place with murders, rapists, it doesn't seem right... u know?
You Might say is in fact flat out wrong that non violent offenders are housed with murderers and rapists and truly criminal people. The impact on the non violent offender is they become violent, depending on the amount of time served....
Old 06-30-2015, 01:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by I°20west View Post
What's happening there and here is that state governments are buying into prison privatizations! Corrections Cooperation of America (CCA) is a big prison buisiness! The buy prisons in certain states,and the governor of that state enters a contract with them that promises to keep their prisons at least 90% full for 20 years!!!! IKR!! And their target is non~violent offenders! Since the state owned prisons get the violent offenders! And by keeping the quotas met...their are kickbacks to your local D.A.s,Judges,& sheriff dpt.!
The treatment the correctional officers exhibit is meant to be abusive, degrading, and I think they were trying to put me through some traumatic confinement in solitary, if I hadn't survived being held captive four months in my early twenties by a serial rapist, it might've been worse for me.
It did mess with me, knowing through personal experience what suicide watch is like, a inmate was scared of me, she lied and said I told her I wanted to kill myself, so I stayed the rest of her sentence in solitary, a lip over two weeks, you don't know what time of day it is
Same brown bag meal every meal lights on at all times
Nothing
No clothes
I was on my period
Naked bleeding in a hole.
Nice.
So glad to be getting away from serving that sentence and four years parole is over as of this January.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:44 PM

Depends on the drugs involved. Weed should be legal across the board. But I think the US should take the example from other countries and treat the addicted as patients and not criminals. Now with dealers it's another story. If they find you with firearms and several pounds of something on you, then it's probably not just for personal use.
Old 07-09-2015, 02:38 PM

Default Alternative to Incarceration Programs in New York

Quote:
I know a ton of other things would consider each case different, but drug charges in general are what I am referring to here..
Is prison the answer for the people who get caught up in an addiction?
California has new laws for drug cases to go to rehab's insteed.... what do you think?
Here in the state of New York many people have made the change to become set free from drugs. Like any other thing it is a choice, desire, a rock bottom, sick and tired of being of sick. Some have had to go to prison to finally decide enough was enough. Since Drug addiction is considered a mental health issue we need to address this sickness.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:11 AM

I think that the sad thing about our prison system is, I am pretty sure more then half of the prison population is incarcerated on probation/parole violations due to drugs. The system doesn't care with all these private prisons now its all the about the money. The more people in prison the more money the prison makes which in turn the more kickbacks the state gets. It's really sad that that we have 330 million people in this country and china has like 2.8 billion and we have a substantial amount of more people in prison. I think it is something like over 3 million where china has 600 and some thousand. Whats wrong with that picture. I am sorry I am ranting. Although you can look at it from two sides since I have been a drug addict. I did heroin for 8 years now clean 13 years and I did not do a 12 step program or anything. I changed the people I hung out with found different hobbies and so forth. I got tired of going to jail and letting myself and my family down is why I stopped using drugs. So on one had jail keeps you clean and it really sucks being in jail. But jail is really just a waiting game. So you might not ever change or come out worse then when you went in. On the other hand rehab is easier and I personally would much rather be in a rehab then go to jail. But you can play the game in both situations. The question is if I knew that I would go to rehab every time I messed up or got high would I still be clean? Truthfully in my opinion you have to want to change yourself. If you still want to get high there is no jail or rehab that is ever going to stop you from achieving that. The reason why NA didn't work for me is because I didn't want to be reminded everyday of all the stuff that I did wrong in my life and I didn't want to subject myself to people that got high in the past. If you have a bad day or something it's easier to talk another addict into going to get high with you. I felt that if you distance yourself from all addicts and that type of lifestyle i had a better fighting chance.

Last edited by Slimruckus; 04-13-2016 at 07:14 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Slimruckus For This Useful Post:
Antynini (05-22-2016)