Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 09-16-2010, 10:28 PM

Thanked 1,921 Times in 844 Posts

DNA evidence can be useful in the following situations: If it would be difficult or almost impossible for the crime to have been committed without the perpetrator leaving behind his own DNA or there is DNA evidence at the crime scene that could only have (or very probably) came from the perpetrator. An example: A victim who was strangled to death has fresh blood or tissue under her fingernails. This probably happened when she was fighting back and she scratched the perpetrator. Therefore, this blood and tissue needs to be tested for DNA. If it doesn't belong to the person who was convicted, there is a strong probability that the person is innocent -- unless there is credible evidence that more than one person was involved.

Here is another example from a famous case in Colorado -- the Tim Masters case. Victim was murdered, and her body was dumped in a field. The body was then mutilated and posed. Her pants and panties were pulled down, and her vagina was cut open. The perpetrator would have had to pull her pants and panties down, and therefore, he would have touched certain places on her clothes and grabbed on hard enough that he would have left little bits of shed skin cells behind. There is a very new and sophisticated DNA test that can test the DNA in these microscopic pieces of dead skin. The clothes were tested, DNA was found that did not belong to the victim, but guess what!! It wasn't Tim Masters' DNA either. The DA then "surrendered" and Tim Masters went free after being locked up for 10 years. This DNA test wasn't even available at the time of Tim's trial in 1998.

Many people were wrongly convicted of rape and/or murder before DNA testing even became available. Especially rape cases where the victim was lying. Another famous case is Gary Dotson in Illinois. He was convicted in 1979 based on the testimony of the "victim." She had a large semen stain in her underwear. There was no DNA testing in 1979, but fortunately, her underwear was saved. Several years later, she recanted, and told the judge that she made the whole thing up and falsely accused Mr. Dotson because she was afraid of getting in trouble for having sex with her boyfriend. (She was just a young teenager). However, the Judge ruled that her recanted testimony was not "credible" and refused to give Mr. Dotson a new trial. However, the governor commuted his sentence anyway, so he got out. He still maintained his innocence. Then, years later, DNA testing became available. Because people were curious, the semen stain in the underwear was finally tested. And, guess what!! The DNA in the semen did not belong to Gary Dotson, but belonged to the boyfriend!! This was a big relief to Gary Dotson because it conclusively proved that he was telling the truth and he was wrongly convicted.

However, in cases, especially recent cases, where the forensic evidence was thoroughly tested for DNA, it is unlikely that future tests will yield different results. As DNA testing becomes more and more sophisticated, and these sophisticated tests are done before trial, there will be fewer and fewer stories like the Gary Dotson and Tim Masters story.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Colorado_Lawyer For This Useful Post:
Niki (09-23-2010), poolside (09-16-2010)
Sponsored Links
Old 10-31-2010, 02:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by *RaymondzWifey* View Post
I am in complete agreement...My husband is doing 15yrs plus another 5 for a enhancement of a misdemeanor crime he did when he was 16 yrs old. His controlling case was for bodily harm on 2 counts. His co defendant was his identical twin brother.His brother will be out the gate in just 20 days,and the twist on my husbands case is that his twin brother was also threatened with if he didnt testify against his twin then he'd be given 69 yrs. to life{what a joke...What life}and the other guy at the scene that was identified in a lineup at the scene by the victims walked ,why???His grandfather was a Superior Court Judge at the courthouse that their trial was set at ,so you already know the ending on this story. My husband was not identified by the victims,he went to get his van out of impound 5 days later,first he had to go get a clearance from the L.A. P.D. why would he go there if he was guilty??? thats only the beginning this seriously would take too long and never make any more sense than yours.I'll pray for you and your man to see justice someday with all this...*RaymondzWifey* as e=CTemen-Mojica;1246303]Well the innocence project only haelps those that have dna to prove their innocence. What if that is not the case. My husband is innocent and it was even brought up at his trial that the person that testified against him at trial said while on the whitness stand that he lied on his statement because he was beaten by police and threatened with a 25-life sentence if he did not change his statement, and even with that they still convicted him and found him guilty. What can I do he was only 14 years old at the time and now he is going to be thirty this year. He was sentenced to 9-life, and has done 15 years so far. He has been denied at 4 parole boards already. What do I do help please. Anyone that has advice pm me.#4 Member loving my lifer club
[/quote]
Same basic story for my guy the two men who did the crime finished their time in a few years while my guy is down for 37 years. He didnt do the crime and the man who did ("friend") of his passed away 2 years ago. It is a sad life that can steal a mans life from him for something he didnt do. Is not a DNA case and so basically no one will reopen it. No one was hurt, he was not accused of murder or rape or any of that stuff and yet they stuck it to him because he didnt offer to help nail other men to the cross. The general public needs to know this and their story needs to be heartd!
Old 10-31-2010, 02:24 PM

I totally think the innocence project is the best. They have helped hundreds of men. There are thousands out there though that need help and the courts threw away the key. EVERYONE NEEDS TO MAKE SOME NOISE HERE!
Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 PM
Banned

This is the best and excellent way of done a great work in passionately. These are some major issues that Many people were wrongly convicted of rape and/or murder before DNA testing even became available. Especially rape cases where the victim was lying. Innocence project is very difficult to be solve out.
Old 07-02-2011, 09:41 AM

Default Pa

Can you give me any information on Pennsylvainia resourses. Is the an Innocence Project in PA? If so, please provide me with this information. It is urgent. Thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilady24 View Post
I work at the Innocence Project in Illinois. New York is DNA only, some others are not. We do DNA or non-DNA cases. Please feel free to email me if you have ANY questions... *email removed per PTO policy*
Old 07-02-2011, 02:02 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,529 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaaunt View Post
Can you give me any information on Pennsylvainia resourses. Is the an Innocence Project in PA? If so, please provide me with this information. It is urgent. Thank you.
http://www.innocenceprojectpa.org/

Here ya go. Hope it helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to sass4221 For This Useful Post:
patchouli (08-08-2012)
Old 09-13-2011, 07:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilady24 View Post
I work at the Innocence Project in Illinois. New York is DNA only, some others are not. We do DNA or non-DNA cases. Please feel free to email me if you have ANY questions... *email removed per PTO policy*
Can you give me an Innocent address that is not a DNA case
Old 07-10-2012, 03:20 PM

Can someone help me please. In NC is it DNA only?

If someone has already been turned down by innocent project (because all the evidence were already present when he took the plea bargain), is that avenue closed forever?

What if he felt coerced and threatened into taking the plea, and what if the evidence against him was clearly insufficient (supposed victim retracted statement and no physician evidence of wrongdoing at all), yet DA decided to prosecute.

Ty in advance
Old 07-10-2012, 03:48 PM
Super Moderator

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Thanked 4,829 Times in 2,529 Posts

Here is the link for the NC Innocence Project. Hope it has info useful for you.
Old 12-23-2012, 04:51 PM

Does anybody now the criteria for which the Innocent Project picks up your case?
Old 03-06-2014, 05:45 AM

Lightbulb Habeas Corpus

Quote:
Originally Posted by biglar36 View Post
The innocence project deals with cases where physical evidence can prove innocence. If you will contact me here or at email removed per pto policy, pm member for info., I will let you know if I can give you some good advice. I am an expert on habeas corpus and that may be how you will have to go with this case.
Your reply was very helpful. I would love to learn more about the habeas corpus. My boyfriend is an innocent prisoner and has served 19 years thus far. His public defender has filed a motion and he is seeking to have a new trial, but the judge keeps cancelling his court hearing and then the date gets pushed back 4-5 months. These postponements have happened several times. I'm very curious to learn more about how habeas corpus could possibly help his case. If you could pm me, that would be greatly appreciated. Thank you so much!
Old 01-21-2016, 03:21 PM

Innocence projects have grown, along with DNA technology and (some) prosecutors' increased respect for that technology in exonerating the innocent.

It's been years since the first post.

Websites, locations, etc., have very likely changed.

Note the increasing numbers of exonorees.