Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 04-30-2015, 07:47 AM

Default Sweat lodge issues

MY BF was sent out of CA to CCA tallahatchie in Mississippi. He is Yurok and states in CA they get sweat like twice a weak, at Tallahatchie he said he is lucky if it happens once a month. Their spiritual adviser is a black minister that has no idea about Native American ritual or spirituality. BF says they let women on the sweat grounds, theres no respect for his religious rights and im not real sure how to direct him in resolving this. Is there any way he can get back to CA because of this? currently they are trying to place him with other races because they have very few Native Americans i know they can't do this either but it seems when your out of state they do as they please. Help would be appreciated. TIA
Sponsored Links
Old 04-30-2015, 10:03 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,187 Times in 10,376 Posts

In the majority of prisons in the US, the races are mixed, so that won't get you anywhere. If his religious ceremonies are being denied, try contacting the ACLU. Religious practices are protected by the Constitution, for everyone, including inmates.
Old 04-30-2015, 02:11 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,661 Times in 7,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore View Post
In the majority of prisons in the US, the races are mixed, so that won't get you anywhere. If his religious ceremonies are being denied, try contacting the ACLU. Religious practices are protected by the Constitution, for everyone, including inmates.
true, Religious practices are protected, however, that doesn't mean that the facility has to negate their safety concerns. Nor does it mean that space has to be exclusive to one religious practice. You're not going to be able to keep female COs from the sweat grounds, nor will you have a ton of luck trying to get the prison to reapportion its guards so that they can sweat more often.

I would contact his tribe's religious leadership. There are enough natives incarcerated that if that leadership can't help, they know somebody who can. Getting a qualified religious advisor to the facility can take time (everybody has to go through security clearance, and he'll have to demonstrate his qualifications), but it can be done.

I'd leave the race card and the gender card out of it, since there are plenty of natives who are not exclusively one tribe, and some are black. And, as stated, he's not going to be able to keep female COs from the grounds. It's just not going to happen.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
sweetpee1980 (04-30-2015)
Old 04-30-2015, 08:01 PM

Thanks for the info. He has been in and out of San Quentin and old Folsom quite a bit I don't know if they treat things differently there or what. I understand the female co situation and also cell mate situation but again maybe it's different in California? I will surely pass in the info about a spiritual leader.
Old 04-30-2015, 08:51 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,661 Times in 7,086 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee1980 View Post
Thanks for the info. He has been in and out of San Quentin and old Folsom quite a bit I don't know if they treat things differently there or what. I understand the female co situation and also cell mate situation but again maybe it's different in California? I will surely pass in the info about a spiritual leader.
Yes, there are differences. There are differences in staffing, scheduling, and populations. Though Native Americans are always a minority in every prison I've encountered, the degree of that minority varies widely, especially if you break it down further by tribe.

If he wants decent help addressing some issues, and an explanation of what he can and cannot expect, he should talk with his tribe. Most tribes have legal counsel that will work to protect Native rights. The Native attorneys I've met have been mainly Lakota, and have been awesome - I love working with them because they are smart, creative in their thinking, and very ethical. The spiritual leader of his tribe can help find a more appropriate spiritual leader if one exists in his area. He may have to be a bit flexible, and he may have to do some stuff correspondence/telephonic as a spiritual advisor who can meet his specific spiritual needs may not be available locally.

And yes, the ability and frequency of sweats varies greatly from facility to facility. Some facilities do not have sweat lodges. Some facilities have such extreme security concerns that nobody is allowed the "stuff" required for their practice, including sweat lodges.

dated but relevant: http://www.pluralism.org/reports/view/103

recently in KY:
http://www.komonews.com/news/nationa...258700771.html

look into the execution of Darrell Young Elk Rich - he was denied a sweat before execution in CA in 2000, so even CA will deny sweats to some prisoners simply based on security.
Old 05-17-2015, 10:20 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by sweetpee1980 View Post
MY BF was sent out of CA to CCA tallahatchie in Mississippi. He is Yurok and states in CA they get sweat like twice a weak, at Tallahatchie he said he is lucky if it happens once a month. Their spiritual adviser is a black minister that has no idea about Native American ritual or spirituality. BF says they let women on the sweat grounds, theres no respect for his religious rights and im not real sure how to direct him in resolving this. Is there any way he can get back to CA because of this? currently they are trying to place him with other races because they have very few Native Americans i know they can't do this either but it seems when your out of state they do as they please. Help would be appreciated. TIA
i had no idea these things happened