Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison & Criminal Legal Help!
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison & Criminal Legal Help! Ask questions, get opinions, and find resources on dealing with criminal justice legal issues, appeals, and more..

Old 04-03-2013, 08:30 AM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

A lawyer who specializes in appealing criminal convictions and/or the sentences imposed by the court.
Old 04-03-2013, 02:31 PM

Hello my boyfriend is doing 32 months. He was arrested May 8, 2012. He just got transferred to Wasco last week. So he's down almost one year now. His offense is nonviolent, but he has two prior felonies, one was violent. My question is, how much time will he have to actually serve? Since this offense was nonviolent and because of overcrowding can he still do the 50%? Please help
Old 04-03-2013, 04:37 PM
Site Moderator

PTO Site Moderator Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 17,199 Times in 10,381 Posts

If you can get a copy of the judge's sentencing order, you will be able to find out what he is facing from the actual statute he was convicted of, and any enhancements that might have been added. It is in his file with the clerk of that court.
Old 04-05-2013, 12:14 PM

The judge didnt give a percentage.
Old 04-16-2014, 01:50 AM

Default Friend gets Life sentence for conspiracy any HELP!!!

I live in FL. A friend of mine got Life for conspiracy of over 500 grams of meth in Nov. of 2008. Tomorrow will be his LAST appeal. I'm not for sure of all the details of what happened with his trial. I've been out of touch with him until recently I wish I could help him in some way. How can murderers get less time? We email each other daily so if anyone could help of what way to go and needs more info about his case first. I can get the information quickly if I don't know it. Someone pls pls help
Old 08-20-2014, 01:16 AM

My husband too got an enhancement for 15 yrs!! He was caught with felon in possession of firearms and has 3 prior "violent felonies". 2 of them were fleeing and eluding of which he committed when he was 19 and 21. (now 32) and the other felony was B&E when he was 14! These are all considered violent by the feds. Even though he has never been to prison before, and never hurt anyone! He has been gone for over a year now, and with good time I am hoping to have him home in 11.5 years. We have two daughters, and our whole family feels torn apart. I understand he was wrong, and he has done wrong in the past, but a 15 year enhancement is crazy!!
Old 09-08-2014, 08:49 PM

Default Please help

My husband has been sent to prison for a crime he really did not commit.There is video proof. I bailed him out and five days later they re-arrested him on the same charge. I bailed him out on the eleventh, I have proof, I went into tell them of their mistake and they had fixed their records to say he was released on the eighth from a failure to appear and that he was not charged with the second degry burglery until the sixteenth. But their is store video that proves he did not do it. The jail did not send me his mail, and did not give him the kite in which I explained to him that I had the proof that would set him free. He took the deal and I was never able to talk to him. He is in prison now and I never got to tell him anything. The law has bean broken here.
Quote:
Originally Posted by sptcrimlaw View Post
I prevously worked on a case regarding a similar issue. (I am an attorney in St. Petersburg, Florida.) Any way, there are 2 issues -- i.e. having the sentences run concurrently and structuring the sentence in a manner where he will serve the state and federal sentences in the proper jurisdiction. The first matter is simple -- it is always best to have the sentences run concurrently (at the same time). The next matter is more difficult. (the Federal Bureau of Prisons) has specific rules that set forth the procedure for determing where an inmate will serve his prison sentences when he/she has been sentenced to prison in state court and federal court. I do not have the rules in front of me so I don't want to misadvise you about this. However, I can cite a Florida appellate case that addresses some of the problems that arise re. federal and state prison sentences. See Sadler v. State, DCA Case No. 5D08-331, 33 Fla. Law Weekly D1164 (Fla. 5th DCA April 25, 2008). You can google this case and locate it there. You can also locate it on the 5th District Court of Appeal's webite at flcourts.org

Last edited by WildCardMinistr; 09-08-2014 at 08:53 PM..
Old 09-08-2014, 09:31 PM
attorney

Thanked 19,689 Times in 7,095 Posts

He took a deal. He probably gave up his right to appeal as part of that deal, and he allocuted saying that he did the deed. He doesn't have to put on a defense, and he can take the first deal that comes along the pike. The law doesn't protect him from making a bad decision. If he was mentally competent, he had the right to make the decision for himself, and he did. There's nothing you can do barring a showing that he wasn't competent and remains incompetent, or that he was unduly coerced into taking that deal. If he can't demonstrate torture or the like, he's going to have to deal with it, whether you agree or not.
Old 09-09-2014, 08:23 AM

Thanked 3,303 Times in 1,682 Posts

A deal may have been better than a trial, as just because you have evidence doesn't mean it is going to be believed. I am sure if it was available to you, it was available to his attorney and maybe it was deemed not helpful. Evidence that you think may not get someone convicted is not always that.