Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Prison Legislation & Laws
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Prison Legislation & Laws Discuss and learn about pending legislation or changes in laws that affect various prisons and institutions

Old 06-11-2010, 12:38 PM

It been a while since I've been up here but I have gotten alot of great information from it, thank you! Me and my husband had overheard a conversation during a visit about some one finding out a way of buying themselves out of prison and we were trying to find out if it was true. His bid is almost up now but he wanted me to try to find out if that was something that could be done. If you've heard of this please let me know because I don't want him to get his hopes up to high over nothing and I am curious myself. Thanks!

Last edited by mzjones626; 06-11-2010 at 01:22 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 07-08-2010, 06:05 PM

I heard that Obama passed letting alot of missouri inmates out on early release and I read it on the net myself but haven't been able to find anything out sence can anyone help me plz....
Old 08-02-2010, 04:15 AM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyfavor View Post
same in mississippi. lets all pray that god lets this go through

I agree with you in Jesus name! Lord let your will be done! God bless you
Old 12-07-2010, 11:52 PM
Banned

The Legislation and laws are materials which are primarily include Federal laws, rules, and regulations. Federal judicial decisions are in some state laws and arbitration and mediation are general research and reference sources that is professional associations and legal-related how-to solve in the locations.
Old 12-15-2010, 04:32 AM
Banned

corrections in the rule. The legislation and laws are making with the help of the different types of people who are having the authorities to make the laws. The corrections in the rules and regulations, and criminal justice committee are update by the authorized peoples.
Old 12-16-2010, 06:59 AM

Hello I am new here and I have been searching to find out where to look for anything affecting gain time laws in Florida...It is a rumor that they are looking at reduction in gain time from 85% to 65%, I do not know where to even start. Is there a certain committee or branch of Florida government that would be looking at this? Is there somewhere I can write to get this moving? I am in Tx and my love is in Florida...He is serving 15 years for BURGLARY with a 15 year enhancement under Florida's Violent Career Criminal Act. THERE WAS NEVER ANY VIOLENCE...so any information on changes to Florida's VCC enhancement is also of interest. I am so lost and do not know where to start...any help would be greatly appreciated
Old 02-03-2011, 09:03 PM
Community Leader

Wink Congressman Robert Scott (D-VA)

Congressman Robert Scott (D-VA) will be notified regarding the:

Bill Would Reform Law That Denies Access To Courts For Victims Of Prison Rape And Other Abuses

Also, I will contact the ACLU New Orleans Attorney and the Chairman of the U. S. Senate Judicial Committee.

Sometimes, it is well worth it, to contact the U. S. Department of Justice in the State where the inmate is located.
Community Leader
rmmcdonald@charter.net

Quote:
Originally Posted by asonsmom View Post
I DON'T KNOW WHERE THIS GOES - SO IT GOES HERE

House Introduces Crucial Prison Litigation Reform Legislation

December 16, 2009
Bill Would Reform Law That Denies Access To Courts For Victims Of Prison Rape And Other Abuses

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

WASHINGTON – Congressman Robert Scott (D-VA) introduced landmark legislation today that is aimed at reforming how prisoners can bring lawsuits defending their rights. Congressman Scott’s bill would reform the Prison Litigation Reform Act (PLRA) which was originally passed by Congress in 1996 as a way to stem the tide against what were thought to be frivolous lawsuits by prisoners. Since that time, the law has been used repeatedly to deny justice to victims of rape, assault, religious rights violations and other serious abuses. The American Civil Liberties Union has been fighting for necessary reforms to the PLRA on several fronts and lauded the introduction of Congressman Scott’s bill, H.R. 4335, The Prison Abuse Remedies Act of 2009 (PARA).

“The PLRA was passed to curb what were thought to be frivolous lawsuits but it has instead slammed shut the doors of the courthouse to our country’s prisoners who have suffered true and legitimate harm,” said Michael Macleod-Ball, Acting Director of the ACLU Washington Legislative Office. “Prisoners can suffer torture, unsanitary conditions and degrading treatment and still not meet the requirements to file a lawsuit under the PLRA. Our nation’s prisoners should not continue to be further shackled when it comes to their legal rights.”

For over a decade, the ACLU has opposed certain provisions of the PLRA that prevent prisoners from bringing lawsuits about inhumane treatment and undermine constitutional protections. For example, the PLRA requires that prisoners exhaust the internal complaint process of their correctional institution before they can file a lawsuit. This requirement may sound simple, but in practice it allows prison officials to apply complex and often arbitrary rules that make it impossible for a prisoner to complete grievance processes, especially if the prisoner is mentally ill, illiterate or a juvenile. In addition, this requirement exposes prisoners to retaliation from guards, especially where prisoners are required to give their paperwork to the very guards who have abused them, leading to intimidation, more abuse and a culture where prisoners fear filing complaints because the consequences of standing up for one’s rights can ultimately make life in prison worse.

"For too long, prisoners have been impeded from seeking redress of their most fundamental constitutional and human rights in federal court,” said Amy Fettig, staff attorney with the ACLU National Prison Project. “It is imperative that the rule of law be returned to U.S. prisons and jails by restoring the ability of federal courts to hold them accountable for violating the Constitution.”

One of the worst requirements of the PLRA mandates that prisoners suffer a narrowly defined physical injury in order to get compensatory damages. Under this provision of the law, some courts have found that victims of sexual assault or prisoners who have had their right to religious freedom violated are denied relief under the law because they were not “physically injured” for purposes of the PLRA.

Application of the PLRA to youth is especially dangerous because children are even more vulnerable than adult prisoners to sexual abuse and other victimization, and many youth either do not know of or do not understand the grievance systems in their facilities, and many more fear retaliation for filing grievances. As a result, the PLRA effectively bars many incarcerated youths, their parents and advocates from being able to address serious problems with their conditions of confinement.

“The PLRA only worsens an already crippled criminal justice system,” said Macleod-Ball. “The new bill is more important than ever with more than one in 100 Americans behind bars, ever-shrinking state budgets and increasingly abusive conditions of confinement. We urge Congress to pass the Prison Abuse Remedies Act as quickly as possible.”

For more information on PLRA visit ACLU org prison restrict
Old 02-04-2011, 06:39 PM

Default 65%

I was just informed that the inmates in P.A. who would be eligible for the 65% were given papers in regards to the bill should be going in front of the President next month. My husband only has 17 months left. I pray to god that he signs the bill.
Old 04-25-2011, 10:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by drika88 View Post
Am new on this site. Have a question. As of now, inmates with aggravated charges have to serve half of their sentence before parole eligibility. My son, in Middleton Unit in Abilene Texas has heard rumors of possible legislation pending changing the time to one fourth of their sentence. Does anyone have any info on this subject
As of November 2010, all "3G" offenders in Texas must serve at least 50% of their sentence before being up for parole under the sentencing guidelines.
Old 05-11-2011, 03:09 PM
Banned

In my opinion this is the better option to be choosing the right correction in law and to be justify for the people are very happy to know about the legal changes in constitution Congressman Robert Scott introduced landmark legislation today that is aimed at reforming how prisoners can bring lawsuits defending their rights.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:50 PM

Default curious

are they going to bring back good time for 2012..i heard that was wondering if it was true.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:53 PM

Default curious

my fiance has til may 2012 to be home with his family..i heard some talk that there going to bring back good time,does anyone know if thats true???please tell me it is..
Old 01-02-2012, 10:54 AM

Default sentencing

will i get 33% off a 2 year sentence for a dui w/injury and a prison prior under the assemby bill 109 ? please help.
Old 01-02-2012, 10:58 AM

will i get 35% off my 2 year for dui w/injury & prison prior under the assembly bill 109 for low offenders ? please help.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:02 AM
Donation Award 

Default No New Texas House bills for less time served

I live in Austin, Texas and keep track of any new House bills regarding less time served and unfortunately this 83rd legislation does not show any related bills pending I'm sorry to say.
Old 03-23-2013, 12:07 AM
Donation Award 

As of March 2013 the Texas 83rd legislation session has not presented any new bills to say the contrary. Still have to serve 50% of sentencing.
Old 03-25-2013, 12:19 PM

Smile Legislation & Laws

Quote:
Originally Posted by highlyfavor View Post
same in mississippi. lets all pray that god lets this go through
Hi

I live in Clarksdale ,Mississippi and need to really know 100% of the laws.

I am trying to really understand The Bill of rights in a simple term where I get a better understanding in a legal way because I do know that prisoner rights has been and still is violated.Please do not say ask the lawyer,because a Pub Def do not care at all.I need to learn the law and I do have some questions I really need answers to now,I know you not a lawyer, am I correct?Searching for answers are very hard and frustrated even if I am on the correct website,which is Mississippi criminal law,felony cover sheet-armed robbery 2 cnts
Agg assault 1 cnt
Possession of firearm by felon
Offense # 97-3-79,97-3-7(2) (b),97-37-5

is there statue of limitation for indictment?my son was in jail more than the limit I found on the website (which is 127 days). when he did go in front of judge first time, thevideo had not been submitted because the police didn't give it to DA,they continue 2 more time and still no video until week ago.To put it simple the police had video more than a year(even though the DA ask for it) my son say he guilty(4/26/2011) and he still say guilty week ago and judge say he it is possible that my son may get 60 yrs.The sentence is 4/1/2013. now the lawyer say for me to tell judge about my son and he may give my son less time, but in court there were several people that has the same exact charged and is still walking around town, on probation.I have a lot more questions about some really terrible things that happen to him in jail 2003,2004 that violated his rights,but anyway is this legal? also my son ask lawyer for a speedy trial, but lawyer say the system is behind, is that legal? amendent rights 5,6 has been violated,it more but can you help me get answers to these issues.
Old 03-28-2013, 02:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missyjo01 View Post
Ok, so I have never done this before so here is goes. My husband of 19 years and the father of our 2 beautiful children 13 yr old boy and 6 yr girl is curently in Prison for Drugs. He is currently in a program called SATP and he absoultely HATES IT! He says that it is run by other inmates and is TERRIBLE he is not even allowed to discuss it or he will be punished?? He wants out NOW but he is not sure what effect this will have on him for future release. He has a clemency hearing in Feb 2010. We are hoping and praying that he will be released right after but his release date currently is April 2011. He got 10 years..you know more than people get for manslaughter..or 5 DWI's..Does anybody know where I can get some info on this program and the effects that this might have on his release? Thanks to all!
my son also was in program, called delancey st. san francisco. was told if he did not do this program for 2 years, he would receive 10 years, for non violent offenses. Needless to say, he was too young to be in this program, that denounces your family, and he is now serving his sentence. What a fing joke., sorry, tell him to walk the walk, talk the talk, but do not quit.
Old 03-29-2014, 10:58 AM

I am not sure this will effect many of you, but there is legislation in NY that would increase inmates merit earned good time they are trying to pass. It is referred to as the Montgomery bill, and has been proposed many times, but never gets passed the crimes committee. Right now in NY you serve 7/8 of a sentence, the bill would make it so that you could be eligible for serving basically 2/3 of a sentence, which means on a 20 year sentence it would be a couple of years less. In a nut shell of course, but still it is less time, and I don't know about everyone else but when you are counting days, even one less it a blessing. My husband has just about 6 years left on a 20 year bid, so I have been doing this a long time. lol Funny when he went in he was a "G" now he says I am, I earned my stripes, as many of us have. Anyway be in encouraged, thing slowly change, but get involved and sign the petitions in your state for reform, and hopefully it will be enough for them to listen someday. Have a blessed day.
The Following User Says Thank You to LM's Tink For This Useful Post:
trueblue73 (03-29-2014)
Old 08-29-2014, 11:36 PM
B_M_F

Very interesting, thanks for the info!