Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Native American Prisoner Discussions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Native American Prisoner Discussions Dedicated to Native American prisoners and their loved ones.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:46 AM

Default LPDOC'S Urgent Call to Action: Release Leonard Peltier

At this time, we want as much pressure exerted on the White House as possible. The message? Release Leonard Peltier!

We prefer that you call or write. Letters and phone calls are taken far more seriously by the White House.

President Barack Obama
The White House
1600 Pennsylvania Avenue
Washington, DC 20500

You can Fax your letter, if you like: 202-456-2461.

Comment line: 202-456-1111 or -1112. If you have trouble getting through, call the main switchboard (202-456-1414) and ask to be connected to the comment line. Lines may be busy or you might be placed on hold. Don't be discouraged by this. Hit that redial button or wait for your call to be answered. Remember that you're competing for phone time with other organizations, as well as competing with your fellow Peltier supporters. Keep trying.

You may send an e-mail, but e-mail won't be nearly as effective:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact.

If your oganization wants to demand Leonard's release, submit a message to the White House here:
http://www.whitehouse.gov/contact/organizations.

Sponsored Links
Old 11-19-2010, 10:34 AM
Believer in hope

A brave man, in my prayers.
Old 02-11-2012, 10:53 PM
Donation Award 

He is indeed a political prisoner being used as
an example for so called "Cop killers".

Old 02-14-2012, 10:10 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

I don't know if he did it or if he didn't. I really don't care. But I do know that I was on the Pine Ridge Reservation from 1972 to 1974 and then again was living there from 1977 to 1980. I remember the poverty and the fear of every last person living there, including me. I was just another unknown child trying to grow up in horrible, inhumane conditions. We had no running water. We had no food. It was so cold. There came a time when there was no wood left to heat the house and it was still the middle of winter. The snow was too deep for us to go and find more. We threw our sewage pot out into the ditch beside the house every morning and the packs of wild dogs would come and eat it. These were big, mean dogs and I never knew if they were going to eat me next. I was afraid of those dogs every time I went out the door or tried to walk to the school bus. They ran in packs, like wolves, but that was just a fact of life. I remember the children who were going to elementary school with me who had no parents and were living with their "traditional" grandparents at the time. There was no heat in their houses. There was no money. There was no food. There were no presents at Christmas like the rest of the American society had. There were shoot outs every day. I remember the bullets hitting the log cabin that we lived in and having young girls grab us and lay the younger children down on the floor so we, 5, 6, and 7 year old children wouldn't be hit. We all learned how to lay on the floor, how to get out of the way of flying bullets. We were taught by 12 and 13 year old girls and they laid ontop of us to protect us while we stayed awake all night, scared out of our wits. If the Catholic Church hadn't schooled us and fed us, nobody would have. To this day, I thank the nuns of "Our Lady of Lourdes" in Porcupine and "Mission" in Calico for taking care of me. I remember being stuck on the muddy roads. I remember hunting for food so we could eat and then falling through the ice on the creek and walking home nearly frozen and still bringing nothing home to put on the table. We spent a lot of time going hungry. I remember AIM and Russel Means. All the other names of those accused are familiar to me. And I remember the FBI coming in and taking over. I remember standing at Wounded Knee, right there at the site of both the Wounded Knee massacre and the Wounded Knee event just a year after it happened. Let me tell you, I don't know if "they" did it or not, but if they did, then, yes, it was self-defense. The government tried to exterminate an entire nation, never stepped in to stop the violence or the hunger or the poverty. But they sure spent alot of money on the simple destruction of an entire society. People died every day. It was just the way it was. But nobody in this government has ever been held accountable for the damage they did. Just the same way as it went 99 years before. Yes, Leonard my have done a dirty deed, but he most certainly was not the only one that had ever commited during that era on the Pine Ridge Reservation. What the U.S. government did to these people and didn't do for these people was beyond criminal. It is time for our government to own up to their own crimes. Let the man go, he was only doing what he knew to be right at the time. Kill or be killed. Which would you choose? Let him go and call it even, it would do a lot of healing for the Lakota Souix Nation. He's done his time, but I don't think a single U.S. official has ever done theirs.

Last edited by lovesjames; 02-14-2012 at 11:05 PM..
Old 07-16-2014, 11:40 AM

Leonard is still waiting and hoping to be set free, write and call the President asking him to sign executive clemency for Leonard Peltier, Leonard is considered a political prisoner by amnesty international and the F.B.I. Has admitted to losing documents and not having proof that Leonard killed anyone , the witness tampering and fear that was instilled in the P one Ridge residents was horrific. Leonard's health continues to decline I am hoping he gets some freedom before he passes.