Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 08-17-2011, 09:45 PM
My ❤ is in Cali Moderator

Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 

Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by amickeyfan View Post
He is not getting treatment while in prison. They placed him in a work camp where there is no drug counseling.. go figure that one...
I feel for you, as a mother I know when our children are hurting it hurts us too.

Prisons that still offer any kind of treatment are few and far between. At this stage of the game it would be best to get him the Big Book from AA and have him work through the chapters. Regardless of 'what' the drug of choice its a useful book.

Treatment is no good if the person does not wholeheartedly want it. Many times it requires changing everything from that 'old' life, friends, places, etc. All that will do is get him back in trouble.
CDCr kicked him out of the SHU, YAY!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sammy's Girl For This Useful Post:
LifeTraveler (08-18-2011), lisainengland (08-18-2011)
Sponsored Links
Old 08-18-2011, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrtansassygrl View Post
Hi I love to have any info on this...so if anyone has any holla back please!
I can give you personal experience if you'd like plus I am a psych major
Old 03-16-2013, 08:03 PM

I never thought about coming online and looking at other posts but this one just hit me. I was talking to day about Scott and his past problems with his cousin and his cousin started telling me of his childhood, and the problems he had when he was small to jr high to hs, to adulthood. And even though in the medical field where I work it never occurred to me that he would have bipolar issues. I know most ca prisons dont really offer mental health programs, all the freaking cuts they have made but i plan to take him to a doctor this week and have him completely looked over, not just with his attitude, but mental status. This is a very good post with alot of very valueable information. I have a few co-workers that do have bipolar disorder, but you would never know it because they take their medications for it. I looked up mental health and inmates here in ca whether county jail or prison, and the satistics are overwhelming. I also came upon a site on google about the hole as they call it, and how that will cause a normal person to become manic, yet they offer no support, or treatment for it in ca prisons, which i need to say that our Goveneror is a idiot and the programs they have cut here in ca for inmates whether cj or state prison or even ASH make me sick. Stress in our prisons here are extreme yet no services are offered to help any of these people attempt to do their time with counseling and medications to help them stay focused so they can do their time and once out seek out help with the aid of parole or probation.
Old 03-20-2013, 01:59 PM

This, I sadly fear, is an epidemic through out our country! It makes no sense why any correctional facility would not provide the services one needs to help maintain them. This includes proper medication they need to be on, therapy, and so on. From what I've seen in my state, there is nothing offered to help rehabilitate so when they are released they can function and contribute to society. It's appalling to know that many people incarcerated are not given medication or proper treatment of any kind to stabilize them. you are so right on the mark also that many go in with no real mental issues, but if put in the hole or experience harsh or traumatic treatment by officials or other inmates, this will cause them to end up having some physiological problems.
Old 08-02-2013, 09:36 AM

Default Local Mental Health Support

For all of the people with mental health challenges for themselves or loved ones, here are three national organizations that advocate for and are supportive of mental health:
Mental Health America (MHA), National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI), and the Depression and Bipolar Support Alliance (DBSA).

These organizations have local affiliates throughout the country and can be a good source of information for mental health resources available in your area.
The Following User Says Thank You to Tim5312 For This Useful Post:
lisainengland (08-03-2013)
Old 09-11-2013, 02:36 PM

My husband was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder on Monday. I feel like since he was released from prison 10 months ago that I have been living in an on-again off-again Hell.

He will be doing fine...then all of the sudden he'd disappear for a few days on a crack binge...and dummy me, the enabler, kept (keeps) letting him come back. He was supposed to be starting medication to treat the bi-polar disorder today, don't know why they didn't get him started on Monday.

Last time he went on a binge was July 15th. He had been doing so well, got a promotion at work, bringing home $4k a month, which has really helped. We went on vacation and things were really good. On vacation, he told me he felt like he needed a psychiatrist and that he never wanted to go back to drugs, he recognized who he could and couldn't associate with, and was working a minimum of 60 hrs per week. I was finally starting to let some of my guard down and trust him and have faith in him that he's finally going to live life the way its supposed to be.

On Monday he went to the psychiatrist, was happy that he was diagnosed and said its a start to feeling "balanced"...went to a car dealership, was approved and drove away in a brand new car, after giving them a check for $500 down. He was so proud of himself, because he did it all on his own. I was proud and happy for him too....but at the same time scared to death for him to have his own form of transportation. As we were sitting there I reminded him of how well he's been doing and how he has to stay focused. He said "I already know, I gotta stay away from Colfax" ~ Colfax is a crack infested street of low-lifes. Keep in mind, this was Monday night...yesterday, Tuesday morning, he supposedly got up and went to work...I haven't seen him since.

I just checked his bank account....he has spent $675 since yesterday afternoon...the check to the dealership hadn't came through yet. It literally took him less than a day with a car to screw up. He went on another binge, drove directly to Colfax, didn't pass go. Now he is going to blame the bi-polar disorder, which I understand he has, but really?

He texted me this morning saying "Babe Im not trying to make you mad, I f*#ked up". I don't even know what to do. I'm so over all of this. I'm tired of being let down, I am tired of having faith & hope. I HATE that I love him...I love him but I hate him all at the same time. I know he can't keep coming home after a binge and me letting him in. It's so hard and embarrassing to admit that I have been so weak. I am thinking that now that he took out all of that money from the bank, knowing he wrote a check to the dealership, that he will get charged with fraud and car theft...I have no clue if that will happen, but how could it not? He's driving around in a $25k car that he hasn't paid one penny towards. A part of me is praying he gets stopped and put in jail and the dealership could just get their car back. I didn't sign anything and I had nothing to do with that purchase, but I'm also afraid that they will come after me for it since we are married.

I swear to God I hate my life right now. I'm tired of it all. I don't think my husband will ever kick his crack addiction....even if he can go months between his binges, he still is an addict...an addict with bi-polar disorder. I am so angry and sad at the same time. I don't even know how to handle any of this.

Old 10-14-2013, 05:52 PM
Sam

You are not alone. Mine is inside. Has bipolar and some other disorders. He is doing the same shit inside. We are having arguments over it. I threatened to leave. I told him he needs to be in the treatment program. I don't know what to do either? I love him too more than anything. He has been my love. It's hard. Yes its the bipolar and yes its being an addict but its both. Yell at your man and pick up the pieces before it blows up. That is what I would do. My man already went crazy. That is why he is inside. His crazy was worse because it involved guns. Your man is out. Go give the car back to the dealer and never let him drive again. He's proven he is not responsible period.
Old 10-14-2013, 10:50 PM
Donation Award 

Hang in there, crack is hard for those guys to get away from. He needs to move to another town and NOT go back into that one unless he has someone with him to keep away from that stuff. Crack seems to make people with this seems normal, Very strange, going to jail won't help, he NEEDS a treatment center he can't just leave from till he's balanced out ,, I no its hard, I pray he'll stay on his meds and work through the whole crack mess .. GOD speed help for him!! Remember people, places and things are there down fall..HUGS