Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > TDCJ - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

TDCJ - What You Need to Know Whatever you need to know about the Texas Department of Criminal Justice can probably be found here!

Old 08-20-2013, 02:47 PM

Default Leaving Soon. Need info on " In Prison DWI Program"

Hello, I will soon be in system, as I sign for 13 yrs. Aug. 29th, " DWI ".
I have some questions and hope for some answers or opinions as time is getting short.I have read about the waiting time from county to TDCJ and also the intake proceedure, but not much insight on the " In Prison DWI Program". Does inmate have to request program or will it be offered during ITP investigation, also does inmate have to become eligible for parole before being transfered to program if accepted. Thanks to all, for any info and God bless.
Sponsored Links
Old 08-20-2013, 02:56 PM
PTO Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator Staff Superstar Two Time Winner Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 19,694 Times in 9,353 Posts

I'm sorry to hear that your date is coming up so soon Have a safe & speedy journey; May you make parole first time up!

I've moved your thread to the TX sub-forum for TDCJ - What You Need to Know so you may find the info you need
The Following User Says Thank You to patchouli For This Useful Post:
yrrab (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 03:39 PM
Donation Award 

I'm relatively new as well. My husband is serving 20 yrs for DWI and yes it appears the only programming comes at parole decision. However, if you GP I believe you have access to AA
The Following User Says Thank You to OnlyInTexas For This Useful Post:
yrrab (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:33 PM

Thanks for the info... I'm glad to know AA is available, I've been going since Mar. 24, it has really worked for me and its a great program to obtain sobriety.
The Following User Says Thank You to yrrab For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (08-20-2013)
Old 08-20-2013, 05:41 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,179 Posts

Yes, AA is available. The DUI program is with a parole decision. It's an FI-6. Here is the Texas Board of Pardons and Paroles Voting Options Page. I wish you the best of luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (08-20-2013)
Old 08-22-2013, 12:21 PM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

The only DWI "program" is available only as an exit program required by an approval of parole by an FI-6 vote. So, you can't request it and it won't be part of your ITP. If the board reviews you for parole it has the option to approve parole but require that you complete the DWI program before release. The parole boared uses a number of different voting options to define such pre-release programs and the FI-6 vote specifies the DWI program.

Whether or not the board might utilize that voting option may depend on timing of the parole vote with respect to your Projected Release Date. On a 4 year sentence there may well be only one review and vote for parole prior to your PRD. Ever after that, early release would only come by approval for Release to Mandatory Supervision and exit programming is not avilable for such releases. If they did get in a second review and vote it would come so close to your PRD that you likely couldn't finish the program before it arrived and so they probably wouldn't have the FI-6 as a viable voting option. In general, a persons Release to Mandatory Supervision on their Projected Release Date is also subject to review and approval by the parole board but if someone has already been approved for parole but not yet released by the time their PRD arrives they will not vote the PRD but instead release them to Mandatory Supervision on their PRD. They will not want to get someone started into an exit program but then have to yank them out for release before they are finished so they won't even vote that way if there isn't clearly enough time to complete the program.

If you happen to be ineligible for Release to Mandatory Supervision due to some previous offense or this one happens to be accompanied by a finding of the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon then the issue with proximity to your PRD (will be the same as the Maximum Sentence Date) remains except that it would be the end of your sentence that would interrupt completion of the program and not something that the board, by policy, would allow to happen.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 08-22-2013 at 12:27 PM..
Old 08-22-2013, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobinsMan View Post
The only DWI "program" is available only as an exit program required by an approval of parole by an FI-6 vote. So, you can't request it and it won't be part of your ITP. If the board reviews you for parole it has the option to approve parole but require that you complete the DWI program before release. The parole boared uses a number of different voting options to define such pre-release programs and the FI-6 vote specifies the DWI program.

Whether or not the board might utilize that voting option may depend on timing of the parole vote with respect to your Projected Release Date. On a 4 year sentence there may well be only one review and vote for parole prior to your PRD. Ever after that, early release would only come by approval for Release to Mandatory Supervision and exit programming is not avilable for such releases. If they did get in a second review and vote it would come so close to your PRD that you likely couldn't finish the program before it arrived and so they probably wouldn't have the FI-6 as a viable voting option. In general, a persons Release to Mandatory Supervision on their Projected Release Date is also subject to review and approval by the parole board but if someone has already been approved for parole but not yet released by the time their PRD arrives they will not vote the PRD but instead release them to Mandatory Supervision on their PRD. They will not want to get someone started into an exit program but then have to yank them out for release before they are finished so they won't even vote that way if there isn't clearly enough time to complete the program.

If you happen to be ineligible for Release to Mandatory Supervision due to some previous offense or this one happens to be accompanied by a finding of the use or exhibition of a deadly weapon then the issue with proximity to your PRD (will be the same as the Maximum Sentence Date) remains except that it would be the end of your sentence that would interrupt completion of the program and not something that the board, by policy, would allow to happen.
Will try to apply your info, but I'm a little confused. My sentence will be 13yrs. not 4yrs. Thanks
Old 08-23-2013, 08:06 AM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

Sorry. I don't know why I had 4 years in my mind when I wrote my reply. In that case there would be plenty of opportunity for the parole board to parole you via the DWI program should they choose to do so. Your sentence has been enhanced by a prior felony that involved a trip to prison. Since you're asking I would presume that you didn't previously do time for DWI and exit via that program. It is relatively new. That might keep you viable as a condidate for it this time around.

The point I was trying to make was that there is no DWI specific program available other than the one that only the parole board can require as a pre-release condition for parole. There isn't much in that information to apply as far as how you do your time. There are a couple of helpful classes available, though. For example, my wife really liked her Cognitive Intervention class, which I would think applies well in the case of DWI.

Last edited by RobinsMan; 08-23-2013 at 08:09 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to RobinsMan For This Useful Post:
Renee (08-23-2013)
Old 08-24-2013, 04:04 PM

Quote:
Sorry. I don't know why I had 4 years in my mind when I wrote my reply. In that case there would be plenty of opportunity for the parole board to parole you via the DWI program should they choose to do so. Your sentence has been enhanced by a prior felony that involved a trip to prison. Since you're asking I would presume that you didn't previously do time for DWI and exit via that program. It is relatively new. That might keep you viable as a condidate for it this time around.

The point I was trying to make was that there is no DWI specific program available other than the one that only the parole board can require as a pre-release condition for parole. There isn't much in that information to apply as far as how you do your time. There are a couple of helpful classes available, though. For example, my wife really liked her Cognitive Intervention class, which I would think applies well in the case of DWI.

Thanks, I got DWI #5 in 1998, 4 yrs. went to TDCJ for intake but was bench warranted back to county to work as trustee. PIA'd from county at 22months. I didnt recall hearing of any program back then. Guess I'm blessed with offer of 13 yrs. since DA's first offer was 30 yrs. Habitual. Maybe 3 nights a week AA with documentation for 5 months has helped with offer. I sure know it has helped me. When I sign I'll have a few days over 5 mths. sober and thats a miracle for me.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to yrrab For This Useful Post:
che'sbaby (11-16-2013), OnlyInTexas (08-25-2013)
Old 11-16-2013, 06:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:

My brother was sent to the DWI program at East Texas Treatment Facility without a parole vote. In fact it was about 4 months after he got a 1-year set off. There was no warning, he was woken up at about 2 am and told to pack up because he was a last minute addition to the chain, and after two weeks at the Walls he was at ETTF and programming in the DWI program. We both feel it was a God send, but still not quite sure how he got there. He thought it was an excellent program, and seems to have gotten quite a bit out of it.

Unfortunately when his review date came up at the end of the six months, he once again got a 1-year set off and is now at Hamilton waiting for his next review date, which will come up a few months before his short way date.

PRM
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to pgstr For This Useful Post:
OnlyInTexas (11-19-2013), RobinsMan (11-18-2013)