Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

North Carolina General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in North Carolina that do not fit into any other NC subforum

Old 06-09-2013, 01:32 PM

Default How to find out if a prison is closing???

Ok everyone, need a little help here. My babe is in Robeson Correctional in NC. There's a new budget proposal that if passed, will shut down about 4 prisons in NC. My babes prison is one to be shut down. They say if it does, it'll be closed August 1st. The kicker is, my babe gets out the end of August!!! Anyways we're trying to find out for sure if that's gonna happen, so he can put in for a transfer to another prison, that will be close to home. Hrs worried they'll ship him out a few hours away.
Does anyone know if this is true...that it'll be closed come August 1st? How would I go about finding out? Thanks everyone for any help!
Sponsored Links
Old 06-09-2013, 02:51 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

Since your question is state specific, I've moved your thread so the people most familiar with the NC system can help. I wish you the best of luck!
Old 06-10-2013, 03:03 AM
Why? When? Who? Where?

1st - Yes, it's still a PROPOSAL; http://osbm.nc.gov/thebudget Pages 199 and 200, has Wayne CC, Bladen CC, Duplin CC, Robeson CC, and Western YI closing.

The NC Senate has their proposed budget: http://www.ncga.state.nc.us/FiscalRe...2013-05-22.pdf
Pages 78 and 79 has those already listed AND Buncombe CC and Orange CC.

After the House and Senate get through debating the budget a final budget goes to the Governor, if he signs it with those facilities still in the budget, it's a done deal.
If he vetoes it, it's back to debate and compromise.

If it does close - you're LO will not have to put in for a transfer - they (That big computer in Raleigh) will have already figured out where he's giong next. Then when it comes time for his release he will be sent to a facility near where he is being released. Normally, it is a couple days before release but can be the same day as his release.
The Following User Says Thank You to 2021 For This Useful Post:
Renee (06-10-2013)
Old 06-10-2013, 04:41 AM

Thank you for the info. My babe said they already started transferring guys out of there. But they haven't been told yet that its a sure thing.
Just hate the fact he's going to be transferred so close to his release date. His case manager already started the process of his release. I've got to talk to the case manager and confirm the fact I'm picking him up. Its just crazy.
Thanks again.
Old 07-27-2013, 07:02 AM

My son is at Western Youth and they have begun moving the inmates out. My son said they all are suppose to be out by Oct. He's 3 hours ago from home now. He has a year and a half left to serve. Any ideas if he will be moved near home?