Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 03-25-2013, 10:09 PM

Default Home clean for 17 months now what?

Well he is home now for 5 days...thank god....he wants help....we talked about it the hole time....he got his medical from the state today...he is keeping busy...he has a curfew bc he is on a bracelet for the next 90 days....tomorrow he get tested....by parole/ts;.////they will decide if he needs drug classes....he said he never has been clean this long in jail; or outside...how can i recognize problems...? i hope there is never problems....this was definetly his rock bottom and he wants to be the change he never had....now what?
Sponsored Links
Old 03-25-2013, 10:18 PM

Thanked 1,687 Times in 833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by msandre88 View Post
Well he is home now for 5 days...thank god....he wants help....we talked about it the hole time....he got his medical from the state today...he is keeping busy...he has a curfew bc he is on a bracelet for the next 90 days....tomorrow he get tested....by parole/ts;.////they will decide if he needs drug classes....he said he never has been clean this long in jail; or outside...how can i recognize problems...? i hope there is never problems....this was definetly his rock bottom and he wants to be the change he never had....now what?
Get yourself to your own meetings and start a recovery program that is geared towards loves ones of addicts.

His addiction will be with him for the rest of his life! He will have to stay commited to his own recovery and find a good, strong support system.

If he starts coming home late, or not coming home at all, lying about where he has been and who he has been with....attitude, if he starts getting edgy or mean....there are so many different things to look for, but the most important thing of all is that YOU do your own program...so that if he does relapse, it will not be the end of YOUR world.

You commented that "parole will decide if he needs drug classes or not", hun, he should be asking for any and all education he can get on staying clean and sober.

Peace~

Last edited by JustBeingMe67; 03-25-2013 at 10:19 PM..
Old 03-25-2013, 10:46 PM

Default thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by InmateLover67 View Post
Get yourself to your own meetings and start a recovery program that is geared towards loves ones of addicts.

His addiction will be with him for the rest of his life! He will have to stay commited to his own recovery and find a good, strong support system.

If he starts coming home late, or not coming home at all, lying about where he has been and who he has been with....attitude, if he starts getting edgy or mean....there are so many different things to look for, but the most important thing of all is that YOU do your own program...so that if he does relapse, it will not be the end of YOUR world.

You commented that "parole will decide if he needs drug classes or not", hun, he should be asking for any and all education he can get on staying clean and sober.

Peace~
\
you are right i need to get to my own classes bc i dont know honestly what i would do if he relapses...it is weird already to see a different person he truely is...but i need to prepare my self for the worst...he will be going to classes on his own...just he needs to GOT TO WANNA ALL THE TIME...WHICH i believe he does....
Old 03-25-2013, 11:04 PM

Thanked 1,687 Times in 833 Posts

But you are more worried about him then you are yourself and that is NOT healthy! You need to be focusing on YOU and let him focus on his own recovery. It sounds like you could be dealing with a bit of codependency and there are meetings for that too....called CODA...I have attended them myself and they are GREAT! Along with Al-anon meetings.

Peace~
Old 03-26-2013, 11:24 AM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,592 Posts

You asked about signs & symptoms--this is from Helpguide.org
Drug abusers often try to conceal their symptoms and downplay their problem. If you’re worried that a friend or family member might be abusing drugs, look for the following warning signs:

Physical warning signs of drug abuse
Bloodshot eyes, pupils larger or smaller than usual.
Changes in appetite or sleep patterns. Sudden weight loss or weight gain.
Deterioration of physical appearance, personal grooming habits.
Unusual smells on breath, body, or clothing.
Tremors, slurred speech, or impaired coordination.
Behavioral signs of drug abuse
Drop in attendance and performance at work or school.
Unexplained need for money or financial problems. May borrow or steal to get it.
Engaging in secretive or suspicious behaviors.
Sudden change in friends, favorite hangouts, and hobbies.
Frequently getting into trouble (fights, accidents, illegal activities).
Psychological warning signs of drug abuse
Unexplained change in personality or attitude.
Sudden mood swings, irritability, or angry outbursts.
Periods of unusual hyperactivity, agitation, or giddiness.
Lack of motivation; appears lethargic or “spaced out.”
Appears fearful, anxious, or paranoid, with no reason.
Warning Signs of Commonly Abused Drugs
Marijuana: Glassy, red eyes; loud talking, inappropriate laughter followed by sleepiness; loss of interest, motivation; weight gain or loss.
Depressants (including Xanax, Valium, GHB): Contracted pupils; drunk-like; difficulty concentrating; clumsiness; poor judgment; slurred speech; sleepiness.
Stimulants (including amphetamines, cocaine, crystal meth): Dilated pupils; hyperactivity; euphoria; irritability; anxiety; excessive talking followed by depression or excessive sleeping at odd times; may go long periods of time without eating or sleeping; weight loss; dry mouth and nose.
Inhalants (glues, aerosols, vapors): Watery eyes; impaired vision, memory and thought; secretions from the nose or rashes around the nose and mouth; headaches and nausea; appearance of intoxication; drowsiness; poor muscle control; changes in appetite; anxiety; irritability; lots of cans/aerosols in the trash.
Hallucinogens (LSD, PCP): Dilated pupils; bizarre and irrational behavior including paranoia, aggression, hallucinations; mood swings; detachment from people; absorption with self or other objects, slurred speech; confusion.
Heroin: Contracted pupils; no response of pupils to light; needle marks; sleeping at unusual times; sweating; vomiting; coughing, sniffling; twitching; loss of appetite.

In each post you were entirely dedicated to your son, his needs and his treatment. InmateLover is completely right--you need to take care of you. You need to have support and education to help yourself--which helps your son. You also need to have some parts of life which are about you and your happiness. The whole of your life cannot be about your son and drugs; do something fun, take a cooking class, join an exercise group, meet friends for dinner...make sure that you have relationships outside of the one with your son and with his addiction. Find a therapist to help you discover yourself and start to invest in you! All the best!

So...What's your point?

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
Irish17 (03-26-2013), jancy (04-16-2016)
Old 03-26-2013, 06:21 PM

Default Signs and Symptoms of Addiction

Thank you Isomnia CT. By chance, do you know the signs for pain medicine like Oxycodone. My LO displayed no signs and everyone was totally shocked when the bottom fell out due to a robbery to pay for the drugs.
Old 03-26-2013, 07:42 PM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Superstar of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 3,922 Times in 1,592 Posts

This is what Narconon.org had to say:

Drowsiness, sometimes to the point of nodding off
Sedation
Euphoria
Lightheadedness
Itching
Nausea and vomiting
Constipation
Low blood pressure
Respiratory suppression
Headache
Dry mouth
Sweating
Constricted pupils, although overdose may bring about dilated pupils.
Overdose deaths can occur due to respiratory suppression, especially when oxycodone or any opiate is combined with another drug that suppresses respiration, like another opiate, benzodiazepines or alcohol.
If a person is unable to get his (or her) usual dose of oxycodone, they will begin to suffer from withdrawal symptoms. He will be restless, agitated and sweaty. He'll suffer from muscle and bone pain, depression, diarrhea, chills, insomnia, vomiting and nausea.

Don't let this be your sole source of information. Attend meetings for friends/family to gain information as well as support. This list may provide a basic and helpful start, but you need support in place for you, too. Take care.

So...What's your point?

The Following User Says Thank You to InsomniaCT For This Useful Post:
Irish17 (03-26-2013)