Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan General Prison Talk > Michigan Prison Visitation - General Q&A
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Prison Visitation - General Q&A This forum is for general, nonspecific questions & discussions related to visitation in Michigan facilities. If you have a question about or want to discuss visitation in a specific facility, please visit that facility's subforum category in the Michigan forum.

Old 03-08-2006, 10:03 AM

Default Can a felon visit an inmate in prison?

I have not got to visit in a very long time. We have both made mistakes due to alcohol and drug use. He is doing his time in prison and I on the other hand turned to drinking when he got locked up and landed some trouble of my own. I am on probation for a felony drinking and driving in 2002, I was convicted in 2004. I have since quit drinking and neither one of us want drugs or alcohol in our lives. It was definitely the root to our problems. With such trouble would I still be able to visit?
Old 03-08-2006, 10:14 AM
Very Much Missed Administrator
Donation Award 

Probably not, but there's always a chance. Submit a visitors application and if its denied then appeal to the warden where he's at and they might approve it.
But they all get along and
EVERYONE is happy!

R.I.P. Sally! This Dragon is Flying High Again.. WE LOVE YOU & Will Never Forget!
Old 03-08-2006, 02:32 PM

Thank You I Will Try!!!!!!
Old 03-26-2006, 07:24 PM

good luck with getting visits, let me know how it goes, my boyfriends brother just asked me that same question tonight, he has a felony on his record but it was from a while ago he is no longer on probation so I am hoping he will be able to visit, he did 10 years and wants to be there for his brother. Good luck to you
Old 03-27-2006, 05:41 PM

Sunshine - Immediate family members are allowed to visit if they have a felony, as long as he is included in his PSI as an immediate family member or they can document it through birth certificates.
Old 03-27-2006, 05:51 PM

thank you so much he will be thrilled that he can go.
Old 04-26-2006, 06:57 AM

My son was denied visits to his brother. Since he has been moved is there a chance he could be approved this time?
Old 04-26-2006, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prisoners mom
My son was denied visits to his brother. Since he has been moved is there a chance he could be approved this time?
Yes he should re-apply, if he is denied write a letter to the warden, the policy clearly states that immediate family members are exempt from the "no felon visitors".
Old 05-19-2007, 11:02 PM
Ex - Inmate

Default Can i visit someone being a ex-con

Can i visit someone if i been off parole for almost 18 months.

Any info would be great...

barry
Old 05-22-2007, 01:03 PM

I am a convicted felon. I am also on probation my husband is my co-defendent. We were not married at the time when I started to visit him.

In order for me to do so I had to seek permission of the warden and also I needed to get permission from my PO. He had to fax a letter of permission to the warden. I also wrote the warden asking permission.

Onced approved you are approved for any prison. I married my husband soon after though just to be on the safe side (beside loving him). I am on probation in two different counties but I report to a county that I am not on probaton in. I didnt want any problems with the 3 PO's.

Last edited by Melindaknapp; 05-22-2007 at 01:04 PM..
Old 05-23-2007, 03:55 PM
No BULLSHIT member

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 8,653 Times in 3,535 Posts

MrsD and DJB'swife are both correct. Prison policy states that visitation for visitors with a felony record is limited to immediate family only. However, that would not stop me from at least trying. Perhaps if you make a convincing enough case the warden may make an exception. Nothing is lost by trying.
josie231 (11-30-2012)
Old 06-02-2009, 11:19 AM
Closed

How about an ex-wife on probation for her second drunk driving? Would she count as immediate family?
Old 06-02-2009, 03:02 PM
Danny's 1 and Only

no ex wife is not immediate family - only current family

until my Aunt gets her 1st chance.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:57 PM

This might be in the wrong spot but - Will I be able to visit him once he goes if I'm a felon? We are married, and have a 16 month old son, and where married for 1 yr before the charges. It's the same case, same charges, he went to prison and i'm getting away with probation because i was honestly innocent. But will they keep us apart in prison? We live in IL.
Old 05-26-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melindaknapp View Post
I am a convicted felon. I am also on probation my husband is my co-defendent. We were not married at the time when I started to visit him.

In order for me to do so I had to seek permission of the warden and also I needed to get permission from my PO. He had to fax a letter of permission to the warden. I also wrote the warden asking permission.

Onced approved you are approved for any prison. I married my husband soon after though just to be on the safe side (beside loving him). I am on probation in two different counties but I report to a county that I am not on probaton in. I didnt want any problems with the 3 PO's.

did they let you see him? My hubby and i have been married for 2 yrs, a yr before the case, but he got 3 served, will i be able to visit him with out 1 y/o son? I have been crying for days, worried I can't because I will be on probation, since they charged me too since i live here.
Old 02-21-2013, 11:28 PM

Unhappy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melindaknapp View Post

Girl I am going through the same thing right now . we are co defendants and on NO CONTACT . I want to marry him . was it hard for you to get into the visit ?
Old 02-22-2013, 06:18 PM

Keep in mind that he can't have contact with a known felon once out (nor can you, if you are probation or parole). That rule applies to fiancées, too. Doesn't matter how long ago it happened. A felon is a felon is a felon. Doesn't matter if you are still on paper, either. Just a head's up.
Old 03-15-2013, 09:59 PM
Account Closed

Quote:
Originally Posted by pookiedoo2 View Post
Keep in mind that he can't have contact with a known felon once out (nor can you, if you are probation or parole). That rule applies to fiancées, too. Doesn't matter how long ago it happened. A felon is a felon is a felon. Doesn't matter if you are still on paper, either. Just a head's up.

That's actually not always the case - just a heads up
Old 03-15-2013, 10:37 PM

In Michigan it is...unless that person is a spouse or immediate family member. Not sure about the rules in CA. Our parole strictly states no contact with known felons. EVERY parole stipulation says that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImJustMe123 View Post
That's actually not always the case - just a heads up
Old 03-17-2013, 11:19 AM

it would probably have a lot to do with how long it's been since the last crime was committed by the person that's on the outside.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:37 PM

I have a felony and im hoping tomce my children father asap.my felony is 8 years old
Old 06-19-2013, 03:40 PM

Default Visitation for felons

I want to go see my children father in prison and my felon is 8 years old and sum months so im hoping to get approve. We live in michigan. Do ne one have any thoughts. The children are immediate family members so i am the mother so shouldnt i get approved.???
Old 06-19-2013, 04:19 PM

Being 8 years old they should approve you. But i guess that depends on what it was for. Maybe include a note that you are the only one who can take your kids in to see their dad. Also make sure you are on the list of people he has asked to be included