Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 08-04-2006, 02:01 PM

Default Texas mom needs advise on programs that my son can attend. He has a drug addiction

My son is in serious trouble and is currently in the county jail awaiting sentencing on a felony theft of property 20k-100K and evading arrest detention w/ vehicle charges. He has had multiple misdemeanor charges before this incident and has been getting into trouble intermitedly for the past 10 years. He has a drug/alcohol problem and I believe he is bipolar. After researching online he has almost every symptom of this illness. How can I get the court to do a psycological evaluation on him while he is in jail? Can anyone give me advise on programs that would take him and that I can suggest to the DA (We are in the DFW North TX area)? What is best way I can help my son at this point? He has such a good side and it breaks my heart that he is in this predicament. If you have any advice/contacts please reply...
Sponsored Links
Old 08-04-2006, 02:09 PM
Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator Pumpkin Hunt Participant 2014 Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 27,475 Times in 10,032 Posts

Trying to approach the addiction without dealing with the other mental health problems is virtually fruitless - and you may have to pay for his evaluation (I know nothing about Texas, but in NY one may do this and submit it to the court).

I know your heart has been breaking for a long time, and you have my sympathies . . . take a deep breath, log in often, and ask anything - and it may help to introduce yourself in the proper forum, and cruise around the Texas postings for more info.
Welcome, welcome.
Old 08-04-2006, 03:20 PM
First Timers Club #95

Do you have a lawyer?? Well the lawyer will ask the judge and the judge if he feels that it should be done will order a evaluation!! But I know this first hand if they feel (cause there is no test) that he is Bipolor thats not going to get him off. The prisons are full of people that are bipolor and have mental problems. Of course It might help for less time maybe. you know ever case is different. so you never know. Good luck I'll cross my fingers for you and your son.
Old 08-04-2006, 05:25 PM
dianna4444

Was he convicted? how did he plea? Did he have representation from an attorney? was there a plea bargain? the first thing you need is a good lawyer. It depends on the judge regarding an evaluation, but in most cases it is not considered just as ginger said.
My son was arrested for the same thing just about his lawyer was able to get him a plea bargain for time in jail then IPS, but a very high restitution to cover all the damages to the automobile, my son made it through 3years and finally after a violation (twice) they sent him to prison he did 2 1/2 years.
I know you are probably unable to sleep, eat and all you can think of is your son (i went though it myself, cried alot)
Again you need a good lawyer, good character letters helped also from friends, girlfriends, employers, teachers preachers, etc.
be strong, and when you need help and words of encouragement theres alot of persons here who have been through the same things that can help you through it
best wishes and our prayers are with you
Old 08-06-2006, 01:38 PM

It just happened last week and he hasn't been given an attorney yet. The car he wrecked was a police car and I know the judge will throw the book at him based on his past. He admitted to me he was suicidal because he has nothing, lost his girlfriend, and his roommates kicked him out. He is on 23 hr lock down at the jail and when I saw him yesterday was very emotional. I don't know how he walked away from the accident. The car crashed though a pipe fence going over 100 mph and all he has are cuts on his face from the airbag. He has difficulty maintaining relationships, has a history of taking advantage of people, and there aren't many people who would write a letter except for his family. He just doesn't seem to care and isn't responsible enough to follow through with restitution. He's just a mess. He doesn't know why he acts this way, he wants so much to be held in high regard, but his actions and impulsiveness keep bringing him down. Some say I've enabled him and I have given him so many fresh starts but he is unable to stay on track. I really think it's a chemical imbalance.
Old 08-06-2006, 07:16 PM

hey, i dont know what your financial situation is, but sounds like your gonna have to pay out of pocket for an eval on your son. doesnt sound very likely that the judge will order this due to circumstances.however when your son does have an attorney it wouldnt hurt asking the judge, but dont get your hopes up. buy the way, nearly every inmate in the ky. system is medicated for one phsycological reason or another. and nearly any of them have funding for follow-up treatment upon release.(thats the commonwealth for you.) but if im right texas is commonwealth too!! GOOD LUCK TO YOU!!
Old 08-16-2006, 01:02 PM

Hi, I am also a addict and bi-polar. I am from Ft.Worth and been out of prison for a little over a year. I am h ere to tell you unless you have alot of cash and a good attorney there is nothing to be done. They diagonosed me in prison and before I even went to prison. Your lucky if you get the right medication that you need. The system is not to sympathetic with the situation. Especially when it comes to controlled substances. I have an excellent attorney. He is expensive but very good and in good with alot of the criminal judges in Tarrant County. He is located in Hurst,Texas on Precient Line Rd. His name is Stephen Handy. If you would like to ask me futher questions please email me at my email address at crosbyt2002@yahoo.com
Old 10-26-2006, 04:05 AM

Should seek th help of your lawyer and pray a lot...
If the judge ask for an evaluation, you will have done 75% of the road..
I am sure that thing will then get very different
Old 10-26-2006, 05:47 AM
Donation Award 

The attoreny is the one who will be able to help you get him off with the fact that he is bipolar. our attorney sent my son to a doctor to evaluate him but he was not bipolar instead he called it peer pressure is why he had acted out the way he did. the doctor spoke in my sons behalf with the judge and at his court sentencing day and that helped some. get an attorney!! good luck to you. Jeannie
Old 10-26-2006, 09:16 AM
Pepper4308

Default My Son Too

I'm also in FW texas and son got arrested last night for evading, drug possesssion and assault on an officer (police wrecked their car chasing him). He already had a possession charge last month. We have an attorney and am just waiting to hear what to do next. Looking into SAFE P, which is a court ordered rehab facility. I'm hoping the judge will order that cuz if he gets out on bond ($$$$) then he'll go back to his bad habits. I'm going broke on this kid, but he's my only child and I love him dearly. Don't know how he got on this path, but it's a path to nowhere. Does anyone have information on SAFEP in Texas?
Old 10-26-2006, 05:12 PM

Hi, I had a private mental evaulation done on my son because he is so far off in left field but it did no good at all but at least I can say I tried. Good luck and God Bless
Old 12-22-2007, 12:54 PM
giz

Find Out From Your Lawyer ,,,let Him Know That Your Son He Needs Help Then Pray That Your Son Will Receive Your Wanting To Help Him Out Is He Ready I Pray That He Does Want The Help
Old 12-22-2007, 08:32 PM

Hi! My heart and prayers are with you on finding a place where your son can get some treatment. If you talk to the da and let them know you are supportive, maybe he will help you also. Above all i hope and pray your son is ready for help, because without his cooperation and desire to change, there is nothing you or anyone else can do. I just finished up 15 years in federal prison in Ft. Worth for charges I got trying to support a severe cocaine dependency in 1992. I spent the last 15 years trying to make sure i didn't go back into drugs via drug program and lots of classes and college. Family suport is important and if you can communicate with your son and he wants to stop drugs, before he ends up like i did with an 17.7 year sentence, maybe he can pull up before he crashes. Work with the da and courts, let them know you are supportive of your son and willing to help. Check on drug courts in the area also. Like the fella said, prisons are full of mentally ill and bipolar people, asking for departure for mitigating circumstances possible, but not unique. Good luck.
Old 12-23-2007, 07:44 AM

So if they aren't in jail or prison as of yet but you know they have a severe addiction even though they aren't willing to admit what can you do besides sit & wait on that dreaded phone call or knock on the door. My son is living in Houston I live in Ft. lauderdale. My only recourse is looking at his cell phone records. His apartment complex manager is the one that called me to let me know what is going on. He is out the suppose to be going to school. I just found out on the 14th of Dec. that he got kicked out of school the middle of Oct. All the while he is calling me because we were helping him because we belived he had finally gone straight. I was sending him money for food or calling & ordering him pizza. He even called a few weeks ago because he had to do something for school & needed 75.oo so of course I sent it. Now I can imagine him sitting there with his druggie friends laughing & saying all he has to do is call his mama & we can eat or get our fix. Man he had me snowed really good this time. I guess we have been going thru this for a good 15 years. He will be 30 years old in a few weeks & I am beginning to think he will never change. I am so heart broken, big ole lump in my stomach, not sleeping,eating,taking my medication. It really is such an ugly cycle. Thank's for letting me rant. Maybe writing about all this I can stop thinking about it. My head & heart hurt.
Old 02-12-2010, 01:32 AM
gone :)

Staff Superstar Two Time Winner 

Thanked 1,997 Times in 1,325 Posts

I just saw your thread. There are centers in FT Worth. The C.R.U is one of them , there is also the Billy Gregory Pine Street Center. They do have some good group sessions ,counselors, therapists , etc....
Contact me if you have questions ,
Blessings,
Orchidia

ex wife of an inmate
mother of an ex jail addict
devoted friend
faithful pen pal
AWARD WINNER for best job done and dedication 2010-2011

Last edited by orchidia_168; 02-12-2010 at 01:35 AM..
Old 02-14-2013, 05:15 AM

This makes sense to me because they are self-medicating both the depressive and the manic states.
Old 02-15-2013, 08:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texasmom2346 View Post
My son is in serious trouble and is currently in the county jail awaiting sentencing on a felony theft of property 20k-100K and evading arrest detention w/ vehicle charges. He has had multiple misdemeanor charges before this incident and has been getting into trouble intermitedly for the past 10 years. He has a drug/alcohol problem and I believe he is bipolar. After researching online he has almost every symptom of this illness. How can I get the court to do a psycological evaluation on him while he is in jail? Can anyone give me advise on programs that would take him and that I can suggest to the DA (We are in the DFW North TX area)? What is best way I can help my son at this point? He has such a good side and it breaks my heart that he is in this predicament. If you have any advice/contacts please reply...
A few questions - do you have a good attorney? If not - get one. A good attorney is crucial in getting the judge on board with rehab.
Frankly you will probably have to pay for evaluation and treatment.
How old is your son? if 16-21 there is an amazing long term residential program in South Georgia with a 90% success rate the best of any organization in the country. Most judges will accept treatment at The Paul Anderson Youth Home in lieu of incarceration.
If 22 or older I suggest you research the various programs listed on Prodigal Child Ministries web site.

A good attorney and an excellent treatment program are essential.

Good Luck!
Old 02-15-2013, 10:08 PM

Thanked 2,385 Times in 836 Posts

Just an FYI this is a realllly old thread from 2006 the original poster hasn't been on this site in a long time...2006.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lordbew/us For This Useful Post:
Klewis (02-15-2013), LifeTraveler (02-17-2013)