Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > NORTH CAROLINA > North Carolina Prison Profiles
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

North Carolina Prison Profiles This forum is for profiles and general information on all North Carolina prisons.

Old 02-16-2009, 10:30 PM

Default Polk Correctional Institution

My boyfriend went to Polk Correctional Institute on Saturday. He doesn't really understand or know what is going on. He thought he was going to be in Morganton or Rutherfordton or Polk County somewhere since his mom lives in Polk County and I live in Buncombe. He was transferred to Polk from Buncombe. I hate this whole mess. I feel like I am out of the loop on everything and that the love of my life has been taken away. He and I have known each other for 4 years now and just started officially dating back in May 08 but off and on dated for almost a year. And now he has been taken away from me. It sucks none to say the least. How do people do it? How can you stay so strong and not hate the world when the person you love is taken by the DOC? How is visitaion at Polk? I have so many questions and no one seems to have any answers. I am so stuck.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2009, 10:47 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

1st - Welcome to PTO

2nd - There are many here that will help and answer your questions from actually going through what you are going through right now

3rd - Here is a link to the Family and Friends Handbook - http://www.doc.state.nc.us/Publicati...07handbook.pdf
It may answer some of your questions

So ask all the questions you can think of - try to be specific - there are so many differences in sentences, custody grade, etc that cannot be answered with a general statement.

As for How one can stay so strong - the others here in PTO will be better at that answer. I'm sure many of them will respond!
The Following User Says Thank You to 2021 For This Useful Post:
Blondewind (11-28-2010)
Old 02-17-2009, 10:10 AM
Hubby is home!! (: <3

It's hard sometimes to stay strong but really, what other choice do you have. You can break down, but that won't do any good, especially for him. He needs for you to be strong so he can stay strong!!!! If you have a weak moment, try to do it away from him. I don't have any information on Polk other than what is on the website, but someone on PTO can help answer your questions about that. If I can stay strong honey, anyone can. No, it's not easy at times, but I just want what's best for my loved one that's incarcerated, so you 'll learn to deal!!! Take care.
Old 02-17-2009, 03:28 PM

Is he coming from County? If so they use Polk as a processing camp, meaning he gets processed and then will ship closer to home later if DOC sees fit...this process can take a month to 3months. Call and talk with Jonie Penny...she is the head coordinator for NC transfers. How do we stay strong...prayer, faith, and love. You will make it too if you want to bad enough. Good luck to you both and Welcome to PTO!!
Old 03-15-2009, 10:44 AM

I'm facing time in Polk. It's really used for 18-30 yr old offenders, isn't it? It seems to be one of the better prisons in my opinion though. I just hope that you stay strong, and seeing all of you women on here so devoted to your men just makes me feel so much better about going in and leaving my woman
Old 06-04-2009, 03:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRights View Post
I'm facing time in Polk. It's really used for 18-30 yr old offenders, isn't it? It seems to be one of the better prisons in my opinion though. I just hope that you stay strong, and seeing all of you women on here so devoted to your men just makes me feel so much better about going in and leaving my woman

No Polk is used to house inmates 19-25.
Old 06-04-2009, 11:37 PM
Why? When? Who? Where?

http://www.doc.state.nc.us/dop/prisons/polk.htm

"Due to the demand of prison space, in 2003, Polk's age criteria for inmates changed from 18-21 year olds to 19-25 year olds."
Old 03-19-2010, 10:36 AM

Not to upset you or anything, but I did time in the NC prison system (and am facing more time) and when I was in, people always referred to Polk as "Gladiator School". Because of all the fighting going on down there. All the young guys thinking they have to prove something or whatever. But, keep your head up, because if he keeps to himself he'll be okay. As long as he isn't a person that irritates others and is a cool dude, he should be okay. Although, if he does get called out, he better not back down or they will fuck with him everyday until he leaves that prison.
Old 03-19-2010, 01:00 PM

Sounds like me might be there just for processing? My son was there for 3 weeks last year for processing. It was July and they had no air conditioning so that was rough. He said the best way to deal with Polk is to do what you are supposed to, keep to yourself and don't make eye contact with the guards. If he does that, he should be fine. My son sat on his bunk most of the day and only spoke to a few people.

Try to hang in there. I know how hard this is for you. I did a lot of crying the first few months but slowly you learn how to cope. You will get through this and so will he. The best way you can support him is to put money on your phone, send him money for canteen and to write him lots of letters. For yourself, stay busy, stay strong, and come to PTO for support.

Jennifer
Old 03-19-2010, 03:02 PM

Thanked 3,954 Times in 1,615 Posts

staying strong is a day by day process. I have my ups and downs but I love my man so much and I have sooo much going on in my life now that i saty very busy and that helps!
Old 11-25-2010, 11:36 PM
He's home :)

I'm not 100% positive but I'm pretty sure it's for 19-25

And my apologizies I just noticed several had already answered that question!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoRights View Post

Last edited by c_rae; 11-25-2010 at 11:37 PM..
Old 12-29-2012, 10:35 AM
Jessridge

My boyfriend is being relessed soon from Polk correctional insitituion will they ship him close to home or do I pick him up there ???
Old 12-29-2012, 10:46 AM
Jessridge

Well Polk corrcetional ant this best place cause there is a lot of fighting and my boyfriend he got in to a fight that he couldn't get out of And the put him in the hole for 20 days but a few a days later there was this guy in the next hole had a sesure and my boyfriend kicked the door so the CO would come check the other guy out and they get mad at my man for kicking the door and they add more time so now he is going to be in the hole till he comes home in April and the took his mat and blankets so he had to sleep on the floor for 3 day but he finally got it back & now that's been a few weeks sense that happend but I got a letter from him the other day and I sent him $40 and they took $20 from him so I'm going to try to have him shipped close to home
Old 01-01-2013, 02:12 PM
Banned

yea ive been to polk like 2 years ago..i didnt like it and it is controlled movement and alot of fighting..everybody wants to prove they are tough..anyway if u have any questions hmu..oh yea they have a good breakfast but thats bout it..i hated everything else.
Old 02-21-2013, 08:36 PM

Damnnn my boyfriend just arrived to polk yesterday . he been in several county jails . but just got the rest of his time to serve yesterday. he asked his lawyer to move him closer to where my aunt is in Charlotte . so hopefully hes there just for processing.Im not to found of him being in polk due to the fighting reviews. He doesnt need any trouble . Hes a handsome hardheaded youngman that doesnt take shit hope things dont stir the wrong way with him and others . Im praying i dont need him in the hole or anything terrible like that. He did verygood in neuse and hyde doc . hoping the same for polk! :-(
Old 03-10-2013, 08:56 AM

Have things improved at Polk within the last year? My 20 yr old son may go there for processing until there is a bed at a DART facility. His crimes are all non violent, B&E, larceny.He is NOT a fighter. Very small, meek, quiet type. I am worried