Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Straight Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Straight Talk The general Ex-Offender discussion forum. If you have done time, this forum is for you.

View Poll Results: How effective is visitation for our beloved inmates?
Extemely effective 911 87.51%
Very effective 99 9.51%
Somewhat effective 24 2.31%
Not effective 7 0.67%
Voters: 1041. You may not vote on this poll

Old 07-26-2011, 04:35 AM
Buddy loves Shar

The last time I saw my man, it was love at first sight. I didn't care it was behind the glass, it was so worth seeing him. I have been trying my damnedest to go see him a couple times of year but something always comes up. Finally, I get to see my man this weekend and we are soooo excited!!! It will be a privilege visit and we get to touch and kiss. Am I scared? Hell yes! The touch and feeling will be the highlight of my weekend. So I do believe that visits are important. And even a phone call and letter but seeing the person face to face will give them hope and love they truly need.

Sponsored Links
Old 07-26-2011, 03:11 PM

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaMisses View Post
Hello Everyone,
My name is Talaya and I am in the process of opening a transportation business that will provide transportation to and from correctional institutes for those wishing to visit an inmate.
This is where you guys come in...
How effective do you think visitation is for an inmate?
If you are an ex inmate can you please speak on the subject for me?
Thank you, Talaya.
Hi, Talaya
I think this is a wonderful idea and will be helpful to many people, really wish there was something like that in Florida, but I think it is wonderful!!!!!
Old 08-01-2011, 08:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell's Wifey
Hi, Talaya
I think this is a wonderful idea and will be helpful to many people, really wish there was something like that in Florida, but I think it is wonderful!!!!!
Great idea!!
Old 10-02-2011, 07:39 PM
2015 release date

Where will this transportation thing take place at? Thats all my man has to get him by. Visits mean the world to him.

Mrs. Rocha
Old 03-10-2012, 11:30 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,457 Times in 1,914 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Solos-1(n)only View Post
Where will this transportation thing take place at? Thats all my man has to get him by. Visits mean the world to him.

Mrs. Rocha
Sorry but the first posting was several years ago.
Old 03-10-2012, 11:51 AM

Red face

my husband has been incarcerated for a little over a year and he has always reminded me how important for an inmate to get a visit or a letter he has even mention that when ever they call them for visitation they all get excited n shave in some cases its a motivation for them to go on and do the time and keep theyre heads up and let them do the time not time do them
Old 03-10-2012, 11:53 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rell's Wifey View Post
Hi, Talaya
hello Talaya i think this is a wonderlful idea
Old 03-11-2012, 03:28 PM

Default Transportaion

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaMisses View Post
Hello Everyone,
My name is Talaya and I am in the process of opening a transportation business that will provide transportation to and from correctional institutes for those wishing to visit an inmate.
This is where you guys come in...
How effective do you think visitation is for an inmate?
If you are an ex inmate can you please speak on the subject for me?
Thank you, Talaya.
I beleve its a really good thing for all Inmates, however my man doesn't want me to visit because he thinks that I will get hurt, or in a accident. I live in Washington Mo. he is in WMCC, in Cameron Mo. 5 plus hours away. My friends think he has a woman there and he doesn't want me to see. I don't believe that at all. He has been trying to get moved closer, through a Vocstional tranfer, so he wouldn't worry as much. We will see. But anyway good luck on the Tranportation project.
Old 03-20-2012, 08:45 AM

Visits are extremely important it keeps some of them sane. All forms of communication is important but just to see a loved ones face or touch it gives them a taste of the outside world and it definitely brightens their day, week or month.

Old 03-21-2012, 10:11 PM

I agree with most here, visitation is a necessity. I was incarcerated for 6 months in federal prison & during that time I had 0 visits. My family was far away & could not afford to come see me. At times I felt like I was losing touch with reality, since so much had changed in my life overnight. My fiance is on year 7 of a 8 year sentence and I try to see him as much as possible.
The Following User Says Thank You to MsFord For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (06-24-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 03:04 PM
Account Closed

No doubt that visitation is just as necessary as a money order in prison. Its a very special message in a visit. Lets a person know that he still has the support of his love ones.
Old 05-03-2012, 10:42 PM
Scooby's Girl

It's important to them for sure, they miss is too and a visit let's them know that we still care and haven't forgot about them, it also gets them out of their cell or dorm for a few hours so, yeah visits are important.
Old 05-14-2012, 04:23 PM

Post Visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksgal View Post
Visitation is extremely important! My man has told me on more than one occasion, that if it weren't for the fact he'd lose his visits, he would have been in a fight. It's a great motivator to keep themselves out of trouble and it gives them something to look forward too!
I agree the thought of losing visits is what keeps my man from getting into fights over stupid petty stuff and keeps him from getting involved with anything ie; groups etc. That could cause him more trouble :-)

Old 05-14-2012, 04:35 PM

Well for my baby he says thats what he looks forward to all week. He says his visits with me is what keeps him motivated to do the right thing
Old 05-14-2012, 05:55 PM

Post Visits

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricksgal View Post
Visitation is extremely important! My man has told me on more than one occasion, that if it weren't for the fact he'd lose his visits, he would have been in a fight. It's a great motivator to keep themselves out of trouble and it gives them something to look forward too!
I agree the thought of losing visits is what keeps my man from getting into fights over stupid petty stuff and keeps him from getting involved with anything ie; groups etc. That could cause him more trouble :-)

Old 05-22-2012, 09:42 PM

Due to our circumstances, I haven't been able to visit my LO for the past 4 years. He is up for parole in 6 months, which means he may be home in 8 months, after a 21 year bit. Central Office said it is up to the institution if they want to let me in or not...He has no family to visit him. I'm his next of kin, his POA, and where he will be paroling home to. I am attempting to pen a letter to his current warden, requesting a special visit. I feel like it's very important, especially because he may be just about to come home, and we need to re-familiarize ourselves with each other in a physical way, instead of only over the phone. I figure I have one shot at this letter to write it well. Any suggestions as to what to write to try to get this visit granted? Maybe there are things I've neglected to include over the years. He says this warden is reasonable, and it's my best shot...any suggestions will be greatly appreciated! TY all so much.
Old 05-23-2012, 01:22 AM
Banned

It's so much effective for me....
Old 05-24-2012, 12:05 PM

As a former inmate who has served about 3 years combined, I will say that visits are very important for our mental well being. When you're stuck in a block with all of the same guys day after day, week after week, year after year, it takes a mental toll on you. So, getting to see your loved ones face to face and seeing your children smile is very refreshing and comforting. I only got about 6 visits in 3 years, but I remember every one of them.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Eastmax For This Useful Post:
A.D. Wifey (09-13-2012), Arda123 (05-10-2013), Sheryl P. (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 03:22 PM
Donation Award 

I think visits can be the single most important thing for inmates... It keeps them connected to the outside world and I (as does my inmate husband) believe it helps with the transition back into society.

After 13 years of being incarcerated (and only 17 months until home) I truly believe my husband would be completely institutionalized without constant visits to keep him updated in everyday life.
Old 07-23-2012, 10:56 PM
Chuck's Wife Lovey

It is extremely important for the inmates and their loved ones as well. Like for me when the sent my husband from Indiana to Arkansas it took me 7 months for me to go see him because of my car problems and trying to find someone that would take me was a hassle as well.

Old 08-19-2012, 06:00 PM
Hey there :D

Visitation is everything for us! His family & I are only able to see him once a year, so visiting time is like a holiday that we look forward to all year.
and not for disaster,
to give you
a
future
and a hope.'"
--Jeremiah 29:11

Old 09-18-2012, 03:55 PM
チェッカー
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,368 Times in 396 Posts

I've been seeing this thread for over a year now and I don't believe I've ever responded to it except to cast my vote in the poll. I want to respond to it now after giving it some thought.

I have been in and out of prison 5 times with the last time doing 10 flat on a quarter. Been out 12 years now. Out of the 5 incarcerations the only one I ever got any visits during was the 10 flat. During that 10 years I got 2 visits from my parents and 1 visit from a prospective employer. I had half a dozen family members on my visiting list, but only my parents visited, and only twice.

For me, it did not make a difference in the least. Don't get the idea I think visits are unimportant. Quite the contrary. I think for the men and women that get them they are pretty much what their world revolves around. I have had cell mates that would literally do pretty much nothing else but talk about and plan on their visits.

I never gave visits any thought at all. When my parents would tell me they were going to make a trip to come visit I was real concerned that they'd be safe and not stretch their funds too thin in order just to talk to me for a while, but I DID enjoy seeing them and being able to give them a big hug. When they would leave it never occurred to me that I should want them to make the trip on a regular basis. I was doing MY time and did not want to share that with my family members. I wanted to be in their life, but I could not do that appropriately until I was released.

Mind you who are reading my post here, I am only opening up about myself. I do not and would not expect many others to feel the same way. A big difference between me and most incarcerated individuals is that I had no wife, girlfriend, or children waiting on me. That probably would have made things quite a bit different.
Old 09-27-2012, 07:05 PM

Glad you made it through all of that and seem to be doing great outside.
Old 12-10-2012, 12:48 PM
BabyLove

We have contact visits every weekend and thank God for that...I travel 2 hours each way to spend time with him and I look forward to the drive it helps put me in the zone so I'm relaxed and calm when I get there. We have bonded deeper now that we get to look into each others eyes again and touch each other. I going on a mission to Africa for 2months next year...thatz gonna be so hard for the both of us. Visits are ubbba important for him and it helps me stay connected with him and his needs.
The Following User Says Thank You to roxizona For This Useful Post:
Kittykat5112 (07-01-2013)
Old 04-30-2013, 04:07 PM

I have to agree that this is a wonderful service. Considering the hardships most loved ones have financially, I wonder about how financially lucrative it could be.

But, yes, my guy has kept his nose clean, turned the other cheek, and allowed to let theft and harrassment go without reacting for the sake of our visits. It is what is getting him through this time.

And I see the look in his eye when I bring one of the kids. It makes all the world seem brighter knowing that he has a life outside of there and is loved.
The Following User Says Thank You to cmsb For This Useful Post:
OffenderNoMore (04-30-2013)