Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > TEXAS > Texas General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Texas General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Texas that do not fit into any other Texas subforum.

Old 01-10-2010, 07:16 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 729 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by sadmom1988 View Post
I can not seem to concentrate, my daughter is having a hard time in school as well. Is this a good place, I one year a long time for smoking pot. it is wrong but the law is law. The lawyer told us that my boy is not strong enough that it will be tuff. How tuff is it he is well mannered and polite. He always respects. How do we now where he is going?
sadmom - I mean NO disrespect toward your attorney but after having my son go through two bouts of SAFP and now the county SATF New Start program I do not understand how your attorney can relay that to you if he has not gone through the program. I do not mean to come across as a smart aleck - I just find it very frustrating as to some of the information that is just thrown out there! And it instills fear in us as loved ones which is actually worse than the fears of the unknown because we believe they know what they are talking about. Pls accept my apologies for the rant! My son is also a very kind hearted, well mannered loveable young man - and tho he is not "cured" he survived SAFP and progressed on his road to recovery.

SAFP is a behavior modification program in a therapeutic setting. It can be mentally challenging because it is designed to have the addict recognize ways of thinking (common phrase is called dope fiend thinking or dope fiend behaviors) - become aware and accountable of their behaviors and the affect it has not only on them but those around them and remove past behaviors. As loved ones we know that loving them to death has not saved them - there must be another way. They are not coddled nor are they abused - but they are made to be accountable for their decisions.

Please ask any question that crosses your mind - It's been almost five years ago that I was sitting looking for information just like you and I look forward to sharing any and all information I can to make this journey easier for you!

Blessings ~ Janice

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

Sponsored Links
Old 01-23-2010, 05:45 PM

Default Tx safp

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sugie View Post
My son is finishing his last month at Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge. Be happy to answer any questions that I can. Just PM me.

Sugie
Hi, My son will be Judge-mandated to a special needs SAFP, for those with mental or dual diagnosis The lawyer asked around, and was told they thought around Lubbock, Tx. Any info on this type of SAFP? How will I find out about this designation in TDC site? I've heard few encouraging histories of SAFP, its program or administration. Is the Judge giving correct info? Thanks for any info.
Weary Mom
Old 03-31-2010, 11:13 PM

My wife just got SAFEP ordered today. I have tons of questions if anyone can plz answer. I have read alot of posts but that are older i'm sure a few things have changed so here goes....
1. How soon will she be transfered to SAFEP?
2. When she arrives will se be alowed to call to tell me where she is and that she is fine?
3. Will i have to get a home phone due to that call being collect i only have cell phones.
4. If she uses the program to turn her life around how long will she stay? 6 months?
5. How long and how often are visits normally?
6. Is there still a pilot program or sober living where she can come home after the six months? If so how do i go about makeing sure we can get that? We dont really want to do the halfway house thing we have a 1 year old son and possibly a baby on the way...we will know in the next few days.
7. If she is indeed pregnant will that extend her stay in SAFEP? If shes pregnant she is only about a month along.

Thanx ahead of time
Old 03-31-2010, 11:45 PM

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 1,158 Times in 729 Posts

Hi tmgomez - I can offer the information as I know it during my sons SAFP time - if anything has changed I'm sure that someone will offer their updated info -
Quote:
Originally Posted by tmgomez View Post
My wife just got SAFEP ordered today. I have tons of questions if anyone can plz answer. I have read alot of posts but that are older i'm sure a few things have changed so here goes....
1. How soon will she be transfered to SAFEP?
County wait time may vary from 30-90 days . I think it may depend somewhat on the county as some have claimed three weeks.

2. When she arrives will se be alowed to call to tell me where she is and that she is fine?
When your wife arrives she'll be processed into the unit and meet with her counselor - she will be allowed a monitored five minute phone call to let you know that she's arrived.

3. Will i have to get a home phone due to that call being collect i only have cell phones.
Yes - have you checked out the Phone Forums? You will find the procedure for set up and other helpful information

4. If she uses the program to turn her life around how long will she stay? 6 months?
The SAFP program is six months or nine months for special needs.

5. How long and how often are visits normally?
She will receive the paperwork for her visitation list during processing. She will need to fill it out exactly as it appears on the identification that will be used. If she turns it in during processing give the unit a call after a few days to verify if it's been approved. Our process went quickly and I was able to visit in about ten days. Visitation is either Friday or Saturday between 8:00 - 5:00 for two hours.

6. Is there still a pilot program or sober living where she can come home after the six months? If so how do i go about makeing sure we can get that? We dont really want to do the halfway house thing we have a 1 year old son and possibly a baby on the way...we will know in the next few days.
I don't know if this also varies by county. My sons halfway house after SAFP was a condition of his judge's sentencing. And instead of 45 days he had to stay the full 90. Others have qualified for the pilot program and went directly home. My friend obtained the information from her husbands PO shortly before his release.

7. If she is indeed pregnant will that extend her stay in SAFEP? If shes pregnant she is only about a month along.
Hopefully someone else will come along with personal experience with this. My initial thought is that the pregnancy would put her in a special needs (medical) unit which might possibly extend her SAFP to the nine months. But that is purely speculation on my part.

Thanx ahead of time
I hope that I have been of some help.

"Though I am surrounded by troubles, You will bring me safely through. Your fist is clenched against my enemies. Your power will save me."

Old 04-01-2010, 06:53 AM

Thank you very much for you quick reply. This entire thing has me so stressed out, and i cant imagine how scared my wife is. I hope this will turn her life around and she relizes what is important to her so we can get on with our lives and live a long happy life together.
Old 04-11-2010, 01:27 PM

Default safp info HELP

Quote:
My son is finishing his last month at Sayle SAFP in Breckenridge. Be happy to answer any questions that I can. Just PM me.

Sugie
Hi I have lots of questions.How long before first visit,hows the treatment,hows the food do they treat the inmates good etc?Any info would be greatly appreciated
Old 04-14-2010, 04:49 PM

my friends boyfriend is in brazoria county (2wks) waiting on chain to go to safp, he got 9 months, so it could be a while before he goes and none of this county counts, what does the county do with the time this guy has served there. just thinking out loud.
Old 04-14-2010, 05:02 PM

Babyguz1, the sad answer is: nothing. It's a waiting period and counts for nothing. Nice!
Old 04-22-2010, 01:11 PM

Thanked 5,095 Times in 1,458 Posts
Default Hackberry Unit-Safp

Here is some information that maybe helpful to some.

Hackberry Unit is in Gatesville, Texas. It is a seperate unit inside of other units. The address is 1401 State School Road.

Your loved one is given a very short phone call that is on speaker phone to you within the first few days to let you know where they are. There is a phone number that I will look for that you can use to call and try to locate your family member. They wear white scrub looking uniforms and have nothing when they first arrive. They get to go to the "store" once every two weeks. Their voculabary will change quickly once there. It is entirely up to you to have money on their accounts so that when they go to the store, they can get the very basic things they need. I used jpay, and it was fast, 3-4 days for the money to hit her account, and the fees were reasonable. They are allowed to shower only every two days. They are fed pork, pork,pork. They work. They are assigned a "big sister." They are not allowed to touch each other, and for the most part they are not allowed to talk to each other either. They are in "dorms", which are actually large spaces with cubicle walls.

Visitations are on Saturday and Sundays. 8:30 am ish to like 3 pm ish. Your family members will be delighted to see you and bring change for the vending machines, as they love this. The change should be in a ziplock bag. When you go to visit, usually allowed very quickly after they arrive, 1 week to 2 weeks, be very patient. You will need to have your car gone thru, both coming and going out, need to know their #. (That's right, their number and more on this later) They are allowed two adult visitors at one time and children is pretty much unlimited-space provided. The visit room is about the size of a large bedroom in a cinder block cement floor building and it does have windows. On really nice days, you may be allowed to visit in the little grassy yard area which is at the entrance of the visit building. It gets very loud in the visit room, so be prepared. They are searched when they come in to visit and before they leave at visit. you are allowed to hug and cheek peck them when they come in and as you are ending your visit. The kids are allowed to sit in the laps and play and hug and cuddle with them, also they have a few books for the kids. They must sit in a chair where they are facing the guard and they are not allowed to get up once they have come in and sit down to visit. You will be searched when you go to visit at the entrance gate to Hackberry unit itself. There is air conditioning in the visit room, but most of the time it does not do an adequet job and is very noisy. They can not talk about certian things so if you are not satisified with some answers they have for your questions, please understand.

More in another note, or you may pm me.

The Following User Says Thank You to Missymama For This Useful Post:
mamajmg (04-28-2010)
Old 11-10-2010, 07:09 AM

Is there a link or info piece somewhere that I can send to my son who wants to know WHAT is SAFP and What is it ABOUT? All I get on here is HORROR stories! He needs to know WHAT is IT! What are the RULES? What is it LIKE? Is it like General Population? Come on people! All I can get is STORIES! He NEEDS to know FACTS!
Old 12-08-2010, 05:06 PM

Default 4 months county, 6 months SAFP..in Texas

found out yesterday that i go back to court jan 18,2011
if i take the plea bargin i will get 4months county, 6months SAFP

was wondering if anyone had anyy advice or could answer some ?'s i have about SAFP
Old 12-16-2010, 09:57 AM

Default New and need some Info

Hi I'm new to all of this, but my fiancee was just transfered to a SAFP facility. I haven't heard anything from him yet about where he is actually at, but some sources I have found out that he is in the East Texas Treatment Facility in Henderson, TX. Can anyone tell me anything about this SAFP facility? I'm also wanting to know about visitations. I've heard that visits are contact visits, but then I've also heard that contact visits are only for immediate family and spouses. If anyone can give me any information I would really appreciate it.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JA0320 View Post
Hi I'm new to all of this, but my fiancee was just transfered to a SAFP facility. I haven't heard anything from him yet about where he is actually at, but some sources I have found out that he is in the East Texas Treatment Facility in Henderson, TX. Can anyone tell me anything about this SAFP facility? I'm also wanting to know about visitations. I've heard that visits are contact visits, but then I've also heard that contact visits are only for immediate family and spouses. If anyone can give me any information I would really appreciate it.
Hello!
My husband has been in the SAFP program at ETTF and should be going to a HWH this week..I can tell you that the visits are contact visits if you are immediate family, spouse or common law married.. Make sure he has you on his visitation list.. You can call 1-972-964-7010 and set up a phone account, you will have to pay a minimum of $55.00 and that will give him about 6 phone calls to the number you pay for.. The phones are usually turned on after 5pm on Fridays and they can use the phone all weekend.. During the week the phones are off. Visitation is Sat and Sun from 8-5.. If you can get there early (before 10 am) they have a family education class... if you go to that, you can spend an extra hour with him.. but they put you in a smaller room and from my experience, watch you like a hawk. The normal visits are in a cafeteria like setting.. with vending machines.. bring about 15 dollars in quarters. Let me know if you have any more questions!!
Alondra
Old 12-16-2010, 03:18 PM

Thanked 5,095 Times in 1,458 Posts

Safp-

Daughhter went to Hackberry Unit...9 month program, she was there a bout 11 and a half months. Had to wait on room in the halfway house. Visits are in a little room with lots of people. Is this prision? physically located in the center of many woman's prision...go thru two check ins. The stories are true about the time...used to be referred to as "chairs". It is awful. Results in some hard core issues-vary person to person. We got thru it, and daughter still doesn't talk much about those times. Techinally not prision, however they get a prison ID#...so as far as I am concerned, it is prison. Shows up when ID is checked afterwards too...sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Last edited by Missymama; 12-16-2010 at 03:20 PM.. Reason: adding
Old 12-16-2010, 10:32 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,625 Times in 1,768 Posts

JohnnyA375, SAFP is a prison in every sense of the word. It is considered a behaviour modification unit but it is still prison. Clients (used very loosley) sit in chairs up to 16 hours a day attending one session after another. After awhile they are allowed a job. My daughter worked as yard maintence for a while and in the kitchen for awhile. They have study workbooks, do lots of writing (not much home, they dont have time) and are kept very busy. I do not know what kind of facts you are looking for that has not been answered here somewhere. There success rate is around 3% of their clients remaining clean and sober. This is not a typo!! SAFP treats any kind of addiction be it drugs or alcohol. There were no phones when my daughter was there. Visits are fairly nice if you get to sit outside. Think concentration camp and you can fill in the rest

Diane

People that matter don't mind, and People that mind don't matter!
Old 12-17-2010, 01:47 AM
Advocate

Some are and some are TDCJ. For instance, Jester and Estelle are Gateway run. Johnston Unit is TDCJ. Even though some are privately run, they are still bound by TDCJ policy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Been There 2 View Post
SAF-P is NOT a TDCJ program. It is a commercial, privately operated, privately staffed "treatment" program that is usually conducted "next door" to a TDCJ unit. Clients are referred by a judge, not a prison administrator.

Why the delay? Again there is no real central control, and the county judges simply regard this as an option to get people out of county facilities. They also have the right to release a client, revoke him and send him to TDCJ facility if he is not "doing the program". So there is going to be delays if the judges over-prescribe this method of treatment.

BT2
Old 12-21-2010, 10:24 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 5,625 Times in 1,768 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by cjSweetwater View Post
Some are and some are TDCJ. For instance, Jester and Estelle are Gateway run. Johnston Unit is TDCJ. Even though some are privately run, they are still bound by TDCJ policy.

I agree. The Hackberry unit in Gatesville is privatly run but make no mistake, they are under TDCJ rules and policies...

Diane

People that matter don't mind, and People that mind don't matter!
Old 01-13-2011, 02:04 AM

where are the possible places females would be sent in texas??
Old 01-13-2011, 09:18 AM

Thanked 4,947 Times in 2,969 Posts

For SAFP? Henley in Dayton, Halbert in Burnet and Hackberry (Crain Unit) in Gatesville.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:47 PM

Smile You are heavensent

Quote:

Sugie
My son is finishing his last month at Sayle also. Where is your son going next? Can you tell a difference? Did it help him? I don't know anything about their program. I was told that at some point they would encourage family members to take part...never heard anything from them. Did you take part of your son's recovery. Just not sure of what to expect next. Your feedback would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-27-2012, 09:38 PM
My Son Is HOME

my son is in the walker saylr unit and is 20 days out from coming home..he will do 3 months at the 1/2 way house here in Amarillo texas where he lives...Im trying to find out about the Amarillo house cause its pretty new here

Old 01-05-2013, 07:49 AM

Default Places males are sent for SAPF

So far I have found these units that have SAFP for a FI 6R . Glossbrenner, Jester 1, Johnston, Sayle and LeBlanc. Is this correct? Are there any others?
Old 01-05-2013, 03:18 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,179 Posts

I don't know when it was last updated, but this is TDCJ's Unit Directory - Region/Type of Facility/Map. Hope that helps!
Old 01-05-2013, 05:18 PM

Thank you- I did look at this link and it seems to have a good description of the types of services at the units.

http://www.tdcj.state.tx.us/unit_directory/index.html

Quote:
Originally Posted by Renee View Post
I don't know when it was last updated, but this is TDCJ's Unit Directory - Region/Type of Facility/Map. Hope that helps!
The Following User Says Thank You to keith74mom For This Useful Post:
Renee (01-05-2013)
Old 01-05-2013, 05:40 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,928 Times in 3,179 Posts

You may want to check out THISthread, too. Again, I'm ont sure when the map was last updated!
The Following User Says Thank You to Renee For This Useful Post:
keith74mom (01-06-2013)