Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 10-24-2012, 07:31 PM

Unhappy How long does it take for an inmate to transfer out of county?

I am trying to find an inmate. How long does it take for the inmate to be transferred from the county facility, registered and finally reaching his "prison" destination? He told me not to worry if I didnt hear from him for a while, that this would happen. BUT, How do you not worry when you have NO IDEA where the man you love is at? Someone PLEASE help me out here!

Last edited by MissinAndWishin; 10-24-2012 at 07:33 PM..
Sponsored Links
Old 10-25-2012, 01:56 PM
PTO Staff on LOA

PTO Super Moderator Superstar of the Year 

Thanked 4,927 Times in 3,178 Posts

Hi MissinandWishin! I moved your post here in hopes that you will get more answers. I'm not familiar with the Federal system, but in the Texas State system, intake can take up to three months. Its a waiting game, I know. I hope you hear from him soon! Good luck!
Old 10-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 9,598 Times in 5,843 Posts

There is no way to guess how long it will take for the bop to move him to his designated prison. He might be able to find out from the county jail when his federal transit will begin. Once the US Marshals have him, and he lands in any federally owned prison, it will list him on the inmate locator every day, so you will know where he is.
http://www.bop.gov/iloc2/LocateInmate.jsp

He might stop at other local lockups as well as in bop prisons too, in which case the locator will show him as being "in transit". If he goes to a federal detention center, he could stay there for from weeks to months until he is designated to his permanent prison. He should be able to call you from there after he is established on the bop inmate phone system.

If that does happen, he may also move through a number of other temporary stops (from days to months again) after leaving the FDC on his way to his home prison.

There is no logic to how they move inmates. I left FDC Miami on the same day as another inmate who was going to the same prison as I was. He arrived in two weeks, while it took me nearly 4 months to get there. I hope his move is quick.
Old 10-26-2012, 10:06 PM

Thank you for answering me. Although I still dont feel any better. The system has his first name misspelled and makes it more difficult. When I went to the BOP sit, I could never find him. Then I remembered that his previous county jail had his name wrong. I used it (Gary instead of Garry) and it says "in transit",,,,,The place he was at before told me where he was "supposed" to be going, but he isn't there yet or at least thats what they told me when I called and asked. I didnt have his number (he may not have it yet) but bc I was able to tell his whole name, age & birthdate They assured me he was supposed to go to Ashland Ky. Its only been 9 days but it feels like a lifetime! Its the NT knowing that makes it even worse. I know that as soon as he gets settled into wherever he goes that he will contact me. I keep waiting for a phone call or letter. [/b]
The Following User Says Thank You to MissinAndWishin For This Useful Post:
fbopnomore (10-27-2012)