Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Husbands & Boyfriends in Prison For everyone who has a husband, boyfriend or male partner incarcerated.

Old 07-23-2012, 05:02 PM
Riding With My Clyde

Default What Does Ride or Die Truly Mean

Okay Ladies, can y'all help me out? I am new to all of this and there are expressions I don't quite understand. Like what does being a Ride or Die Chick truly mean? I know it comes from the Bonnie & Clyde concept but I have seen it used basically as being a woman who doesn't cheat. Or does it mean staying with him no matter what he does or how he treats you? If you agree to be his Ride or Die does it mean he can do what he pleases and you just take it and stay no matter what?

Also, what does "holding it down" and "keeping it tight" mean?

Thanks y'all, I know I can be a bit ignorant. I just want to be there for my baby and he has always wanted a "Ride or Die Bitch."

His Bonnie
Sponsored Links
Old 07-23-2012, 05:11 PM

Thanked 3,926 Times in 1,179 Posts

I absolutely hate that term. I will not "ride or die" or be his "bitch".

What I will do and have done for the past 8 years is be there for him, and that does not mean "no matter what". If he is abusive to me in any way shape or form I am out of there. I am nobody's doormat.

My man is doing life, so I believe that gives testimony enough to where I stand in how I do this with him. I follow nobody's rules about how I do this, we do what works best for us.

If he were to ever refer to me as his "bitch" after everything I've been thru with him I would not take kindly to it, kidding or not.

My honest opinion is that those terms like "ride or die" are ridiculous and juvenile.

This is not a joke, this is not easy, the whole aspect of incarceration much less a life sentence involves much more than could be defined by such inane terms.
amyluvsny (07-24-2012), Critter07 (07-23-2012), dmg03 (07-23-2012), ernestopio (07-23-2012), HardHeadedWoman (07-24-2012), hoLdin_on92 (07-24-2012), InmateLover67 (07-23-2012), KatieM. (07-24-2012), Miss_A (07-23-2012), Nieves915 (07-23-2012), nimuay (07-24-2012), princessbird7 (07-23-2012), Rox73 (07-24-2012), ViVstaR (08-06-2012), Waitin4Kidd (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:16 PM
C.Coleman's Wife for life

Ride or Die means you stand by your man while he is in. No it doesn't mean he can abuse you and you still stay. My husband knows how to treat a woman and I am his ride or die. But at the same time he doesn't mistreat me either. Holding it down and keepin it tight means you still live your life but you write to him visit and things like that. You are still there for them.
His Bonnie (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:21 PM
Donation Award 

Ride or die is the same as the term do or die...means you are going to ride (the time) by any means together or die trying

The Following User Says Thank You to nicenjazzy For This Useful Post:
werewolfsgirl (07-24-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:26 PM
smile my LOVE..♥

I don't like using the term "ride or die chick".. For me, it's a woman who stands by her man through thick & thin.. is true & loyal, but most importantly always there by his side especially through something like a prison sentence. The term to me is also quite juvenile so I don't refer to myself as such. Every relationship is different though & can have their own definition of what "ride or die" means. I am by no means anyone's bitch or doormat. I stand by my man just as he stands by me. We are a couple, a team, it takes two to make a relationship work or not work I won't and have not tolerated any disrespect from him whatsoever. All in all I believe it's basically a woman who is truly loyal, faithful and respects her man to the fullest! That's just IMO.
Joshua's_Girl (07-23-2012), KatieM. (07-24-2012), NatesGurl (07-23-2012), ViVstaR (08-06-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 05:36 PM
Riding With My Clyde

Thanks y'all. I feel like I must apologize. I didn't mean the term "Bitch" as a form of disrespect. For me it very much depends on the context. if my man is being cute and playful he can get away with it. No one else can.
Old 07-23-2012, 05:40 PM
Stalking the mailman.....

I wasn't wondering what this means. I already knew what it meant, but J mention this in his letter today. But he used the term "bitch". I can't tell if he is joking or not and honestly I don't want to start a fight with him yet again. I just told him that this statement hurt me because he did technacially call me a "bitch". We shall see what he says in his response to it. I hope he doesn't blow up at me for just being honest with him!
Old 07-23-2012, 05:55 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,189 Times in 2,979 Posts

if you have to worry about him "blowing up" because you express honest feelings to him--you have bigger problems then him saying bitch.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Momma Ann For This Useful Post:
Critter07 (07-23-2012), D4C (07-23-2012), Joshua's_Girl (07-24-2012), Just Jen (07-24-2012), Miss_A (07-23-2012), nicenjazzy (07-23-2012), sartainme (07-24-2012), SimplyMe123 (07-23-2012), werewolfsgirl (07-24-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 06:27 PM
Account Suspended
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,839 Times in 1,993 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB's Girl View Post

What I will do and have done for the past 8 years is be there for him, and that does not mean "no matter what". If he is abusive to me in any way shape or form I am out of there. I am nobody's doormat.

My man is doing life, so I believe that gives testimony enough to where I stand in how I do this with him. I follow nobody's rules about how I do this, we do what works best for us.

If he were to ever refer to me as his "bitch" after everything I've been thru with him I would not take kindly to it, kidding or not.

My honest opinion is that those terms like "ride or die" are ridiculous and juvenile.

This is not a joke, this is not easy, the whole aspect of incarceration much less a life sentence involves much more than could be defined by such inane terms.
And to add to this, a lot of women associate "ride or die" as doing whatever their man asks. Such as smuggling in tobacco, drugs, cell phones, etc. Having sex during visits. Doing anything to try to get around the rules of DOC. All in the name of love.

Yeah, I ain't eva gonna "ride" like that.
Old 07-23-2012, 06:42 PM

I also dont really like that term. I love my man and i stand by him, I will be faithful, and loyal, but i will not condone certain bahavior. When i hear the term ride or die, i litterally cringe,,,,,, i am a wife who took vows for better or worse........

There is not a day or hour that I do not think of being in your arms!
The Following User Says Thank You to Nieves915 For This Useful Post:
Mrs.Best (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:56 PM

Me & my hubby say that. To me "bitch", it's not disrespectful because he's not using it to be that way. And ride or die just means that you're gonna stick by your man no matter what and always be there for him regardless of what life throws at you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Bearyspecial For This Useful Post:
T.Standon (07-30-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:13 PM

Everyone pretty much gave u the definition for ride or die..

"holdin it down" means that you keep everything under control or maintain your situation, household or whatever while he is gone.

" keep it tight" -means u keep urself looking right...not sloppy.. etc..

it can also mean not having sex or sleeping around...."

I personally don't use them...but a lot of people do...to each his own....
Old 07-23-2012, 09:18 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by His Bonnie View Post
Okay Ladies, can y'all help me out? I am new to all of this and there are expressions I don't quite understand. Like what does being a Ride or Die Chick truly mean? I know it comes from the Bonnie & Clyde concept but I have seen it used basically as being a woman who doesn't cheat. Or does it mean staying with him no matter what he does or how he treats you? If you agree to be his Ride or Die does it mean he can do what he pleases and you just take it and stay no matter what?

Also, what does "holding it down" and "keeping it tight" mean?

Thanks y'all, I know I can be a bit ignorant. I just want to be there for my baby and he has always wanted a "Ride or Die Bitch."

His Bonnie

I am not a ride or die woman and I am certainly no mans bitch...I might be a bitch to others, but I am not a mans bitch...lol I agree that using the term "bitch" is juvenile and immature.

What my fiance and I have is special and we are in each other's lives for a reason...we both know that at anytime things could change for either one of us, but we are enjoying our relationship and what we each have to offer the other....so, if we are meant to be together for the rest of our time on earth, we are okay with that....if we are not, we will move on to the next chapter of our lives...I am in no way saying a break-up would be easy, but neither one of us would allow it to be the end of our lives.

We love the love we have and we try and cherish the time we have together...so ride or die does not fit either one of us.

Peace~

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to InmateLover67 For This Useful Post:
comptontiffany1 (07-24-2012), JKB's Girl (07-23-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 09:51 PM

Ride or die is a woman who stays down with a man who cheats,lie,beat her ass,etc reguardless what he does SHES NOT GOIN ANYWHERE..some women whose ride or die will take a jail charge,kill,steal,etc for their man some probably will die for em too hell.

that what i think it means unless the HOOD TERM WHERE I LIVE!!..i not a ride or die not now not ever..and for any man to call u his woman a "bitch" is disrespectful keep letting them slide that might become something he always says cause ur okay with it..

Last edited by Mrs.taylor2011; 07-23-2012 at 09:54 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs.taylor2011 For This Useful Post:
hoLdin_on92 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.taylor2011 View Post
Ride or die is a woman who stays down with a man who cheats,lie,beat her ass,etc reguardless what he does SHES NOT GOIN ANYWHERE..some women whose ride or die will take a jail charge,kill,steal,etc for their man some probably will die for em too hell.

that what i think it means unless the HOOD TERM WHERE I LIVE!!..i not a ride or die not now not ever..and for any man to call u his woman a "bitch" is disrespectful keep letting them slide that might become something he always says cause ur okay with it..

That's the interpretation I have of "ride or die" and that's why I hate when my boyfriend tells me I'm his "ride or die girl" because I will not stay with him regardless of what he does, and i will not take any bids for him and stuff like that.
The Following User Says Thank You to MzRogers For This Useful Post:
hoLdin_on92 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKB's Girl

I agree with this 100%, as I've said before im no mans ride or die not even my boyfriends. There is a mutual limit.

The Following User Says Thank You to notyourordinary For This Useful Post:
Nieves915 (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 06:14 PM

Thanked 1,460 Times in 821 Posts

This prison stuff isn't "cute" and to me neither is this kind of terminology. My man would never refer to me in those terms because he already feels terrible enough that prison is a part of my life. When he first went in he said "You are a lady and prison should never be a part of your life...I'm ashamed that it is now." and he's wanted to protect me from as much of prison as he could...that would include phrases like this. I know he has learned a bunch of prison lingo and who knows what they all say amongst each other in their male bravado, but he would never speak to me that way.
Old 07-24-2012, 07:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MzRogers

That's the interpretation I have of "ride or die" and that's why I hate when my boyfriend tells me I'm his "ride or die girl" because I will not stay with him regardless of what he does, and i will not take any bids for him and stuff like that.
What you said i agree!! More like Dummie instead of ride or die.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mrs.taylor2011 For This Useful Post:
johnnysgirl1225 (08-01-2012), KatieM. (07-24-2012)
Old 07-24-2012, 10:47 PM

I say it depends on your age. At 46 years old I dont want to call myself a ryde or dye bitch,,,, LOL,,,, we each have our own sayings but we are all doing the same thing.......

There is not a day or hour that I do not think of being in your arms!
Old 07-24-2012, 10:53 PM

I have always interpreted this to mean someone who sticks with their man no matter what... Even when he gets locked up. When I hear that term, it always sounds like they are proud of the situation which I find strange. I don't use this type of terminology though, and neither does my boyfriend. We just don't use that kind of slang.