Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in California should be posted here.

Old 07-13-2012, 03:58 PM

Default CA Parole Changes for 2012?

My husband has been home for 2 years now. We live in another state and he is due to get off parole 12/15/12 (interstate compact). This is one year early since he's been doing so well. He called to confirm his parole release date and was told that on the computer 12/15/12 is his release date, but that a new law had passed in California stating that violent offenders now had to do 100% of their parole time and that everyone was under review.

Is this true? Has there been any changes made to CA parole?
Sponsored Links
Old 07-13-2012, 09:40 PM

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaitinginSD View Post
My husband has been home for 2 years now. We live in another state and he is due to get off parole 12/15/12 (interstate compact). This is one year early since he's been doing so well. He called to confirm his parole release date and was told that on the computer 12/15/12 is his release date, but that a new law had passed in California stating that violent offenders now had to do 100% of their parole time and that everyone was under review.

Is this true? Has there been any changes made to CA parole?
I haven't heard anything about any new laws, but it's not surprising- much of what happens with parole doesn't occur because of a new law, but rather they decide 'how' they are going to interpret an existing law.
Old 07-13-2012, 11:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2sleepy View Post
I haven't heard anything about any new laws, but it's not surprising- much of what happens with parole doesn't occur because of a new law, but rather they decide 'how' they are going to interpret an existing law.
I thought violent offenders always had to do all of their time? Can you post that law or tell me where to find it ??

I am responsible for what I say but not responsible for how you react
Old 07-13-2012, 11:28 PM

I also heard they are not letting any inmates transfer to other cities because of the budget cuts and now that each city is paying the bills .... We own property out of state will he be able to go home ?????

Old 07-14-2012, 08:54 AM

Thanked 2,482 Times in 1,121 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox_Rider View Post
I thought violent offenders always had to do all of their time? Can you post that law or tell me where to find it ??
a violent offender is eligible for discharge review after doing 2 years of a 3 year parole term, but when the board does discharge reviews, they can consider the original crime and the offenders history and deny discharge even if they are doing everything right. For an out of state transfer, the receiving state has to approve it if the parolee has a spouse or immediate family member there, but California can deny it and I can't find anything stating that they even have to give a reason for denying it. Here's a PDF file that explains a great deal of this stuff:
http://prisonlaw.com/pdfs/ParoleManual,Mar10wforms3.pdf If you go to prisonlaw.com there is also an addendum to that but I didn't see anything relevant to a person doing time for a violent crime.

Last edited by 2sleepy; 07-14-2012 at 08:55 AM..
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to 2sleepy For This Useful Post:
Fox_Rider (07-15-2012), GottaMakeIt33 (08-12-2012), light at end (07-14-2012), Patrickj (07-15-2012), sidewalker (07-15-2012)
Old 07-15-2012, 05:44 PM

We are in Cali .. Oopsie but we are moving to AZ ...