Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Drug & Alcohol Treatment & Rehabilitation For those whose lives have been touched by addiction to drugs, alcohol or otherwise. For addicts and those who care about them.

Old 06-05-2012, 08:33 AM

Default Alcohol and drug treatment

I dont understand why the court system make you take substance abuse classes if you sell drugs and get caught? Thats crazy! Alcohol use is legal and people arent gonna stop drinking so why send them to treatment?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-05-2012, 10:42 AM

PTOQ Editorial Team Member Staff Superstar Winner Easter Egg Hunt 2013 - Participant 

Donation Award 

Thanked 2,975 Times in 1,392 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amy35 View Post
I dont understand why the court system make you take substance abuse classes if you sell drugs and get caught? Thats crazy! Alcohol use is legal and people arent gonna stop drinking so why send them to treatment?
Because selling drugs is NOT legal. Because apparently something happened that may have put you and or someone else in danger?Because you may have an addiction?

PTO Quarterly Winter Edition
Follow the Link to the newest Edition!

Old 06-05-2012, 11:17 AM
Account Closed

Thanked 2,008 Times in 862 Posts

Quote:

Maybe so the drug dealer can see, first hand, what the effects of selling drugs can do to his buyers. What if it could be proven that this drug dealer's drugs were the direct cause of a death, and the Court's were able to charge him/her for murder? Just saying....

I dated a guy, long ago, that was ordered to go to the coroner's office for a day. It was part of his probation and I can tell you it worked! He'll never agree to drag race with a friend again.
Old 06-05-2012, 11:22 AM

Thanked 1,694 Times in 837 Posts

Quote:
Even though alcohol is legal, some people have an addiction to it, and most of the time, they are convicted of a crime due to being under the influence. Some people will stop drinking if it becomes problematic and they choose to go to treatment.

If someone is caught selling drugs and convicted of it, then most of the time, they are sent to substance abuse classes. It is the norm.

What do you suggest they do if someone is convicted of selling drugs? What would be your idea of a plan of action against future sales?

Peace~
Maya2007 (06-22-2012)
Old 06-17-2012, 08:09 PM

From what I understand it is the rationale of the system that if they see, through a program, the damage that is caused from what they sell, it might make a difference. I have been told by dealers themselves they would rather do a program than do time. Unfortunately they also say it hasn't done anything but make them super careful about continuing to sell.

Spongebob " What do you normally do when I'm gone?"
Star " Wait for you to get back!!"
Old 06-17-2012, 08:24 PM

We don't know everyone's situation.. so the programs are just one size that fits all... hopefully a lot of these folks benefit from the programs. I sure hope my jailbird does... what he did to support his drug habits was so devastating to me and his family, so I definitely see the value in these programs!

Old 06-17-2012, 09:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ieatcupcakes View Post
, so I definitely see the value in these programs!
You are right to there being a value. Even though D didn't make it through and about a third of his group have been revoked that means two thirds do make it to graduation. They have a big ceremony every May. Some of the friends I made by going to DC with D are doing amazing.

Spongebob " What do you normally do when I'm gone?"
Star " Wait for you to get back!!"
Old 06-18-2012, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bdwell View Post
You are right to there being a value. Even though D didn't make it through and about a third of his group have been revoked that means two thirds do make it to graduation. They have a big ceremony every May. Some of the friends I made by going to DC with D are doing amazing.
That sounds fantastic, bdwell. I am hoping jailbird has that kind of positive feedback. He needs it so badly and he wants it. He only has been around negative and drug-addicted people ( asshole/dysfunctional family and druggie friends ) and that is all he has known. He says he had an amazing time in a drug rehab which only lasted one month. Well, one month isn't enough is it? Haha. Thanks for your response...