Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > WASHINGTON > Washington Parole, Probation & Release
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Washington Parole, Probation & Release All information & questions relating to parole, probation or release in Washington should be posted here.

Old 03-28-2012, 11:51 PM

Question Release address & victim concerns? Advice needed

My first post! I usually just browse around on PTO and find the answers to my questions but I need some help with this one.

My husband's ERD is set for July 19 and his release plan/address is in the review process and will hopefully be approved. We are now hearing that there are "victim concerns" and he may not be able to be released to the county of origin and might have to wait until 30 days before ERD to apply for "transitional housing" in another county. They can then approve or deny that (in there timeframe) and then have to give the victim another 30 days notice!! I'm frustrated because we know the law says they have to be released to county of origin (unless certain circumstances) and our whole life is here. My job, kids, church--his whole support system is here. He's a first time offender, never used drugs/alcohol, done all of his programming, etc.

Has anyone dealt with this before or have any advice about how to get our address approved in this county?

Sponsored Links
Old 03-30-2012, 11:33 AM

In general, if the residence and county of origin is denied based on victim issues, there is not a whole lot that can be done. A blanket prohibition like that would indicate some serious concerns by DOC.

The 30 day notification takes place upon approval of a release plan, not after his ERD date. If he has to release to transitional housing, he's probably looking a release date a week or two after his ERD date.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WA CCO For This Useful Post:
connie73 (04-16-2012), GettingClose19 (03-30-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 07:17 PM

Hmm. Well at this point it might just be my husband assuming. I called HQ about it and the release plan has not been denied--still being reviewed. I guess they give the victim opportunity to say they have concern and then try to address it? Strange system. I don't see how transitional housing would even be a good thing if he has no support in the area. fyi not a SO or anything related.

Thank you for the info.
Old 05-10-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA CCO View Post
In general, if the residence and county of origin is denied based on victim issues, there is not a whole lot that can be done. A blanket prohibition like that would indicate some serious concerns by DOC.

The 30 day notification takes place upon approval of a release plan, not after his ERD date. If he has to release to transitional housing, he's probably looking a release date a week or two after his ERD date.

Who makes the decision to approve or deny the address on the release plan if there are victim concerns? My husband's counsellor says its the CCO...is that true? and if so would they deny an address in the county of origin based on the victim worried about "running into him in town shopping/doing business, etc."? The judge gave 18 months community custody and a lifetime restraining order at sentencing- which you would think would cover those concerns? Seems like lots of crimes would involve victim concerns...how would anyone get a release plan approved???? I'm hoping you can shed some light WA CCO. Thank you in advance!
Old 05-11-2012, 08:47 AM

The CCO and supervisor make recommendations for denial with the field administrator making the final decision to deny a release plan.

DOC does not impose geographic restrictions without serious victim concerns. Inferring from your posts, you live in a small county and he was convicted of a serious violent offense against the victim.
Old 05-11-2012, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WA CCO View Post
The CCO and supervisor make recommendations for denial with the field administrator making the final decision to deny a release plan.

DOC does not impose geographic restrictions without serious victim concerns. Inferring from your posts, you live in a small county and he was convicted of a serious violent offense against the victim.
Yes to the small county- not tiny but smaller than say King. As for the offense -yes violent, but it is not labeled as serious violent. Victim was not hurt physically in any way.