Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > UTAH > Utah General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Utah General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in Utah that do not fit into any other Utah subforum.

Old 09-27-2011, 08:41 PM

Default Utah sentencing matrix

Does the parole board always go by the matrix that they "recommend" if the said inmate hasn't been in any trouble? Just curious I know close to nothing about all of this. So many questions don't know who to ask...
Sponsored Links
Old 09-29-2011, 10:01 AM

Sometimes. From what I've seen it's all over the place. Sometimes higher, sometimes lower. If we were going by the matrix my husband wouldn't be in prison in the first place, just probation. No disciple, commended him for his hard work and accountability, no criminal record, then an 8 year rehearing. In general the current board has been more harsh than normal though. For the first time ever 3 out or 5 board members are former prosecutors (never been more than 2 at a time) and all it takes is a majority vote to keep someone in there.

But, his cell mate had a matrix around 10 years and is getting termination after 6, and he's just sat on his butt most of the time.

There are many insanely inconsistant examples... it's quite frustrating.
Old 01-02-2012, 09:18 AM

Our husband are subject to Utah's Indeterminate Sentencing, therefore it is entirely up to the board to do what they choose. As far as I have been able determine, SOs are the one offender that they are in no hurry to let out. Wish i could be more help.

Old 01-13-2012, 01:19 AM

My man was told 21months on his matrix and got 18 months from the board of pardons. He will be home in 80 days... woot woot!!
Old 01-16-2012, 04:25 PM

The Utah BOP is extremely inconsistent. One person may get a 4 month time cut for completing a program while another may get a pat on the back and no time cut for the same accomplishment. They seem to give the biggest time cuts to those offenders who can prove they have a one way ticket out of the state. I guess that is their brilliant plan to reduce our state's high recidivism rate.
Old 01-30-2012, 03:45 PM

From what I've been hearing (current/previous inmates, mostly) you usually get sentenced to 50% of your matrix. For example, my Honey's matrix is 36 months on a 0-5, we've both been told by several different sources to expect approximately 18 months served.
Obviously that can be affected by C-notes, bad behavior, additional charges, completion of programs, etc etc.

(Can't wait until our BOP hearing in March so I can see if this really applies!)
o.O
Old 02-02-2012, 02:12 PM

When my husband 1st went to prison, he was told by other inmates in A-west (R&O) that everyone was receiving about 1/2 the guideline months from there matrix. So we were shocked/devastated when we got his matrix and he received the guideline months. In other hearings I observed just previous to my husband's hearings, other inmates were told by the hearing officer that his recommendation to the board would be a few months more than the matrix - so they had an opportunity to finish one program or another. I would expect him to receive the guideline months with a 2-4 month early release from the guidelines if he is in a program like HOPE or something.
Old 02-07-2012, 01:08 PM

Ahhhh I hope not...we'll see, though. I have my fingers crossed >.<
Old 02-19-2012, 02:16 PM

Have you looked over the matrix to make sure it is correct? Also is your guy in any programs right now? They'll most likely give him time off for that. Also, does he have restitution? They will also give less time for restitution being paid in some cases.
Old 05-09-2012, 08:15 AM

So here's my update: He went in front of the Board yesterday - the Board member's suggestion to the Board will be to give him his full matrix of 33 months due to his previous criminal history. No time off for completing the HOPE program, nothing. On top of that: a No Contact order will go into effect once he's released (I am the victim of record) until his parole officer determines otherwise. The horrific part of that is that we have a baby together -- almost 3 months old, now. No consideration for our family unit, none.

He tried to discourage me from driving down there (Gunnison from SLC is a BRUTAL DRIVE, oi), I'm not sure if it's because he was worried that my presence would cause the Board to issue said No Contact order or because he didn't want me hearing his charges laid out like that -- like he's the worst kind of person, which I know he's not.
It can take up to 3 weeks for the Board to make their final determination, I'm just going to keep checking back every day. I read my statement and honestly I don't think it made an ounce of difference. But then again, who knows.
Only time will tell.
Old 05-17-2012, 09:23 AM

Did you find out if the board went with the recommendation of 33 months?

Our time is coming up and i'm getting more anxious!
Old 07-03-2012, 03:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oct2011 View Post
Did you find out if the board went with the recommendation of 33 months?

Our time is coming up and i'm getting more anxious!
30 months
Houstonsgal (09-16-2012)
Old 09-16-2012, 04:23 AM

My Dads was 96 months he has now been in for 10 and they just gave him 20 more our family is trying to fight it if you would like you can check out my face book page facebook.com/indeterminatesentencingabuse I wish you and yours luck and hope it goes good for you unfortunatley for me it looks like I have a 11 year old daughter that will never get to know her grandpa
Old 09-16-2012, 08:44 PM

Default Matrix

Quote:
Originally Posted by GignZ View Post
When my husband 1st went to prison, he was told by other inmates in A-west (R&O) that everyone was receiving about 1/2 the guideline months from there matrix. So we were shocked/devastated when we got his matrix and he received the guideline months. In other hearings I observed just previous to my husband's hearings, other inmates were told by the hearing officer that his recommendation to the board would be a few months more than the matrix - so they had an opportunity to finish one program or another. I would expect him to receive the guideline months with a 2-4 month early release from the guidelines if he is in a program like HOPE or something.
Does the BOP usuallybtake into consideration time already served?
Old 09-20-2012, 09:22 PM

Default Anyone here?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonsgal View Post
Does the BOP usuallybtake into consideration time already served?
I am really trying to understand all of this. But, it seems that, although many read, no one takes the time to reply. Please, remember the Golden Rule and let's try to help each other.
Old 09-21-2012, 05:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Houstonsgal

I am really trying to understand all of this. But, it seems that, although many read, no one takes the time to reply. Please, remember the Golden Rule and let's try to help each other.
Try calling the BOP they are very helpful in my experience. I wish I could help more. Good luck.
The Following User Says Thank You to e&jalexander80 For This Useful Post:
Houstonsgal (09-22-2012)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:09 PM

The BOP does what ever it wants too. There is no rhyme or reason to any of it.