Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR FAMILY & FRIENDS > General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

General Prison Talk Does your issue not fit into another forum? Post it here. Find support, answers and assistance.

Old 04-27-2012, 10:54 AM

Default Which is worse, State or Federal Prison?

I was wondering what is the difference in State and Federal Prison? And is one better or worst then the other? My hubby is currently serving time at WCI in Cumberland MD which is a medium federal prison. Thank in advance for your time :-) and if anyone else has a love one there, how is it really there? I'm very new to the site, so thanks again.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-02-2012, 08:02 PM
gachristy

My husband has done roughly 20 years altogether in the State system. He is now in the Federal system...we think...HANDS DOWN the Feds are the worst. Going through there courts is horrible. They seem to be able to do anything they want...rules??? Laws??? They are the government, they are ruthless. Sentencing is scary, and they can ship them ANYWHERE! The judge recommended a close prison, they sent him 700 miles away!!! They pay hardly anything when you get a job. Not as much phone time, only 300 mins per month. So, the answer to your question from me is FEDS are worse.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to gachristy For This Useful Post:
mallafri (05-06-2012), only1love (05-06-2012), SchweiksGirl (05-02-2012)
Old 05-02-2012, 08:07 PM
gachristy

Default sorry

I shouldn't have been so harsh. If your husband doesn't get in the "mix" of things, he will be ok. The only good thing that came out of this is that I KNOW my husband will never be in trouble again after FED time, and we now appreciate what's important, and he found God...he's not one to just jump on that bandwagon, this is the first. I haven't seen him for 2 years since this all happened...he's too far, I'm just trying to work and hold our home together, he's got another year to do, thank God.

Good luck, I'm sure your husband will be fine, and it sounds like he has a loyal wife that is there for him!
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gachristy
I shouldn't have been so harsh. If your husband doesn't get in the "mix" of things, he will be ok. The only good thing that came out of this is that I KNOW my husband will never be in trouble again after FED time, and we now appreciate what's important, and he found God...he's not one to just jump on that bandwagon, this is the first. I haven't seen him for 2 years since this all happened...he's too far, I'm just trying to work and hold our home together, he's got another year to do, thank God.

Good luck, I'm sure your husband will be fine, and it sounds like he has a loyal wife that is there for him!
Thanks hun, I know your husband is a lucky man to have such a caring and loyal women by his side :-) I'm glad he's turned his live around for the better. Just continue staying strong and that year will be over before you know it. By the way you weren't harsh at all, you just kept it real. Lol. My hubby had been sentenced already, they didn't give him fed time WIC was the only place they had room for him.
Old 05-02-2012, 09:36 PM

My husband would also say FEDS by far. Has done 15+ state time in Oklahoma and almost a year so far in federal. Like the other poster said the good that came off it is he NEVER wants to go back again.

Old 05-04-2012, 10:17 AM

I think they're LO's were just use to doing state time.Fed time Is way better than state prisons,the only bad things are that you have to do 85% of your time and they might send you far from home.Prison is prison(fed or state)but one thing for sure is the feds feed you better and thier commisary is cheaper.....peace
The Following User Says Thank You to funbag For This Useful Post:
jackdact (05-05-2012)
Old 05-05-2012, 11:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbag
I think they're LO's were just use to doing state time.Fed time Is way better than state prisons,the only bad things are that you have to do 85% of your time and they might send you far from home.Prison is prison(fed or state)but one thing for sure is the feds feed you better and thier commisary is cheaper.....peace
Well the judge ordered 9 years at DOC, but they placed him at WIC because of no room anywhere else. Would he still have to do 85% of his time?
Old 05-05-2012, 05:08 PM

If he was sentenced in MD state court,he will do md state time which is atleast 50% of your time for violent crimes and atleast 25% of your time for non-violent crimes before you go up for parole.If he was sentenced in fed court he has to do 85% of his time.
Old 05-05-2012, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by funbag
If he was sentenced in MD state court,he will do md state time which is atleast 50% of your time for violent crimes and atleast 25% of your time for non-violent crimes before you go up for parole.If he was sentenced in fed court he has to do 85% of his time.
It was in Maryland state court for a non-violent crime. He has time served since March 15, 2011. So he'll probably have about 3 years to do since it's 25% of 9 years. Thanks!
Old 05-05-2012, 08:48 PM
gachristy

My husband is from WA state and has done alot of time in a WA state prisons. I don't know what the food is like in other state facilities but FED food compared to WA state food is HORRIBLE. My husband is in Herlong, CA and the food is horrible, there are mass lockdowns, and it's just worse than WA state. All prisons are bad, but I've never seen anything like this and he's been in a lot of prisons. He also has spent time in Oregon and the food and day to day spending your "time" is much better. I was drug into his FED case and had to do 60 days at the Federal detention center "Seatac" and I gotta say the food was HORRIBLE. I think with the combination of being millions of miles away from home, and all that I listed above just seems overwhelming. There seems to many more "games" that the FEDS play with you as an inmate or even just part of the system that the state plays. Just when you get used to the rules and the way that you are to do time...they change it...nothing consistant, but like I said before, it definitely is a deterrent, that's for sure. I wish he would have gotten in trouble with the FEDS 20 years ago...he would have gone straight then!!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to gachristy For This Useful Post:
funbag (05-06-2012), only1love (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 01:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gachristy
My husband is from WA state and has done alot of time in a WA state prisons. I don't know what the food is like in other state facilities but FED food compared to WA state food is HORRIBLE. My husband is in Herlong, CA and the food is horrible, there are mass lockdowns, and it's just worse than WA state. All prisons are bad, but I've never seen anything like this and he's been in a lot of prisons. He also has spent time in Oregon and the food and day to day spending your "time" is much better. I was drug into his FED case and had to do 60 days at the Federal detention center "Seatac" and I gotta say the food was HORRIBLE. I think with the combination of being millions of miles away from home, and all that I listed above just seems overwhelming. There seems to many more "games" that the FEDS play with you as an inmate or even just part of the system that the state plays. Just when you get used to the rules and the way that you are to do time...they change it...nothing consistant, but like I said before, it definitely is a deterrent, that's for sure. I wish he would have gotten in trouble with the FEDS 20 years ago...he would have gone straight then!!!
I think the system is so messed up and they are always changing things. I heard that state is better then I also heard that the Feds is better. I think it just depends where you are. Its sad all our tax money goes to them and they can't even feed our love ones decent food, it's just sad. Smh. Does your husband have much longer to do?
The Following User Says Thank You to _lil0320 For This Useful Post:
funbag (05-06-2012)
Old 05-06-2012, 12:48 PM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 10,093 Times in 6,110 Posts

The federal prison conditions are going downhill fast because of overcrowding. 3 high steel bunks in tiny 2 man cells, where it is impossible to sit on your own bunk without hitting your head on the next one, or the ceiling if you were unlucky enough to be on the top, was the worst part. They were also always cutting back food service too.

There are lots of really nasty federal prisons, so the club fed myth is totally false.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fbopnomore
The federal prison conditions are going downhill fast because of overcrowding. 3 high steel bunks in tiny 2 man cells, where it is impossible to sit on your own bunk without hitting your head on the next one, or the ceiling if you were unlucky enough to be on the top, was the worst part. They were also always cutting back food service too.

There are lots of really nasty federal prisons, so the club fed myth is totally false.
We would assume that the conditions would be better cause they have more money invested then the state. Smh.
Old 05-06-2012, 01:52 PM
Banned

The absolut worste with federal is no parole!!! Doesn't matter if you've changed your life around, if you're ready to come back outside as a law abiding citizen, you're still gonna do your time! Plus the overcrowding's horrible!
Old 05-06-2012, 03:46 PM

Fed is the worst hands down purely because of the 85% rule and the ability for them to be shipped around the country at a moment's notice. I couldn't imagine having to relocate more than once to be with my boyfriend. The rest depends on the state. Since I am MWI I would probably be denied access to visits. The Feds do have corrlinks though. I would be besides myself with joy if Texas ever implemented that system. Also in Texas you have to have a land line in your name to receive a call from your loved one. The whole security issue is ridiculous. Plenty of states allow prisoners to call Cell phones. If Texas would allow me my man to a cell phone in my name then I would have more money to send him. I guess TDCJ likes sharing that money with AT&T.
"I'm selfish, impatient and a little insecure. I make mistakes, I am out of control and at times hard to handle. But if you can't handle me at my worst, then you sure as hell don't deserve me at my best."
-Marilyn Monroe

Old 05-06-2012, 04:14 PM

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,375 Posts

Federal sentences are longer than state sentences. And you have to do 85% of that time unless they take away your good time and you have to do 100% of your time.

The rec time is not consistent. It is at the discretion of the guards.

The food is horrible and scarce. Food poisoning is frequent

Commissary is cheaper than state, however there is very little on the list that is even remotely healthy. It is all junk food.

Medical care is practically non-existent

Rules are made up as they go along and often change from day to day or from shift to shift.

Mail is not easy

Visitation is not often and many places are only video visits

Phone time is 300 minutes regardless of the amount of money on the books

They can and will move an inmate any time they feel like it without telling you or the inmate to any location that suits them. ( My man was moved 7 times in 36 months. This gave me the opportunity to evaluate 7 different federal facilties- so this is not just one place I am referring to.)

The guards lie like rugs about everything from location, medical status to time left in a housing unit.

Federal SHU- very filthy- desolate surroundings. No psych eval while in SHU as is policy and often no rec time at all for SHU inmates

Overcrowding is a huge issue.