Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > PENNSYLVANIA > Pennsylvania Prison Phones, Packages & Mail
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Pennsylvania Prison Phones, Packages & Mail Use this forum to discuss Pennsylvania prison Phones, Packages & Mail issues & topics.

Old 05-03-2012, 10:02 PM

Default Outside Purchases

My husband has been trying to order a Prayer Rug for 2 months now by doing an outside purchase. I think that is what it is called.
I have called Inmate Accouts, the mail room, the Chaplin and his counsler. We have been given the run around. The prision has no Imam that I can talk to about this issue.

Has anyone else had a problem with outside purchases when it comes to relgious items??
Sponsored Links
Old 05-04-2012, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshiesWife View Post
My husband has been trying to order a Prayer Rug for 2 months now by doing an outside purchase. I think that is what it is called.
I have called Inmate Accouts, the mail room, the Chaplin and his counsler. We have been given the run around. The prision has no Imam that I can talk to about this issue.

Has anyone else had a problem with outside purchases when it comes to relgious items??
My husband just went up so I'm not sure about outside purchases. However I sent his prayer rug and kufis from the Islamic place on 52nd street. I have sent my brother in law things from there in the past and he has gotten them without an issue. They also have a website. It may be easier than trying to go through the red tape at the prison.
Old 05-04-2012, 03:51 PM

I tried to send one when he was in Graterford it was confiscated and it was from Islamic Place! He is in Greensburg now and they told us that he has to do an outside purchase.

We have been given the runaround Insha'Allah it will work out as Allah knows best.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:05 AM

insha allah..

thats a mess..I will ask around to see if I can get some information for u.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoshiesWife View Post
I tried to send one when he was in Graterford it was confiscated and it was from Islamic Place! He is in Greensburg now and they told us that he has to do an outside purchase.

We have been given the runaround Insha'Allah it will work out as Allah knows best.
Old 05-05-2012, 12:14 PM

Alhamdulillah thank you sister. It is a mess. I want to avoid getting a lawyer. I am going to try again on Monday Inshallah. He has been using a towel as a prayer rug but he has been allowed to keep his kufis.
Old 05-06-2012, 09:26 AM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,686 Times in 977 Posts

The DOC allows prayer rugs. While there is no full-time Imam at his institution, you can speak with the Facility Chaplaincy Program Director (FCPD) there. In simple words, he's the Head Chaplain, whether a priest or a minister. This individual will be the one who knows the process best, because he has to sign-off on the Outside Purchase Order form. I recommend that your husband send him a Request Slip or simply try to speak with him personally. You can also call him directly.
Old 05-06-2012, 12:22 PM

We have been going through this process for the 2 months something is always "getting lost" they have taken the money off his account twice. The process has been done more than once. I have called the chaplains office at his request left messages no return calls. Still no prayer rug.

He has done what he is supposed to do. I get it he is not the only prisoner. What other options do we have.
Old 05-12-2012, 08:38 PM

PTO Moderator 

Thanked 1,686 Times in 977 Posts

If they deducted the money from his inmate account, then the prison actually cut the check each time. Thus, the problem is occurring after the order is sent from the prison -- either with the vendor or with the Property Room upon arrival of the rug.

You might try calling the Business Office at the prison and seeing of they can tell you what happened each time, since the money was put back into his account (I presume) after each attempt.
Old 05-13-2012, 08:10 AM

It was a whole bunch of miss understandings going on. We got it taken care of. I was able to order it for him but I had to use the same exact vendor and order the same rug he was trying to order with the outside purchase.

He did get his money back. Thanks for the feed back!!