Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ARIZONA > Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Arizona DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Arizona Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 05-05-2012, 01:53 PM

Default Food Visit question!!

(oh my...ME, asking a question?!)

I'm cooking and packing food for Paulie's food visit. I am grilling steaks tonight...and will slice and put into zip lock bag.

But my question is regarding the clear lidded containers that you buy "soup" in at the grocery store!?

Paul wants tomato soup...which I bought at Safeway. It's still sealed!

I also have a few other of these same containers and I have mashed potatoes and veggies in them.

They are sorta of a milky color...and it's VERY obvious why kind of food is inside.

I also have tiny little see thru containers (from Fresh and Easy...they use to sell mousse in them). I have cream cheese in these. Also butter. And hollendaise sauce! And BBQ sauce. Will all these be ok!? Each container is about 1/2 cup!

Does the container have to be COMPLETELY clear or will these work?

Bacon, banana nut bread, asperagus (cut) will be in zip locks!

Also regarding ice cream. It will be Paul's mom and I traveling. Can I bring TWO quarts of Ben and Jerry's totally sealed in?!!?!

Any advice greatly appreciated.

Sponsored Links
Old 05-05-2012, 07:12 PM

I have the Food Visit Regulations form in front of me right now and it's saying that all food must either be in plastic wrap, wax paper or in see through containers. Any container that is not completely see through will not be allowed. It also says that condiments must be pre-packaged in single serving packets but then it says salad dressing is allowed in its own see-through container. Hmmmm....a bit confusing to me! Although I am easily confused (: Ice cream is allowed...1 per person and it must be in the original sealed/unopened container...pint size only. Hope this helps
Old 05-05-2012, 09:58 PM

I know it varies from prison to prison how picky they are. However, your best bet is to hit some place like big lots and pick up some cheap clear plastic tupperware for things you don't want to put into sandwich bags. The stuff is cheap and it will save you a lot of grief. They also sell little ones that you can put things like bbq sauce in. As for the others, it can be hard to say if they will let butter and cream cheese in, your best bet is to package it in bags or clear plastic containers and be prepared to toss it if they decide not to allow it in.
Old 05-05-2012, 10:01 PM

Thanked 1,069 Times in 354 Posts

Why risk it? What passes through one day will be rejected another. Your best bet is to give them no reason what so ever to deny anything.
Old 05-06-2012, 07:08 AM

ive never had a problem putting condiments in seperate containers. The soup should be fine in the orignial package as long as they can see through it.
i even took ranch sealed up in the bottle.

have fun hun...never hurts to take extra baggies in case they do have to take things out and you can put them in the there.
Old 05-06-2012, 11:59 PM

I know it's kind of late but maybe for next time. I had many food visits and zip locks work the best for everything, that way they don't have to open it up and poke thru it, they can just mush it around thru the bag. but if you need a container I used the ones you get at the deli at Frys. Sometimes they gave them to me free or charged me 10 cents each. always bring extra zip locks to keep in your car just incase they don't like the container. every time i went it seemed like everyone inturperated the rules differently.
The Following User Says Thank You to MyGirlCori For This Useful Post:
RoseIsARoseIsA (06-05-2012)