Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

San Quentin State Prison (SQ) - California Topic and discussion specific to San Quentin State Prison located in San Quentin, California.

Closed Thread

Old 04-29-2012, 10:30 PM

Default Been gone a while.

I haven't been able to visit my man since mid February... Finances, family, children obligations... Weather. Can someone or everyone tell me about visiting changes? A lot can change In a short few months.
1 dress code
2 have they gone to email scheduling general population visiting appointments or can I just still show up?
3 no need to know about bringing my child, I come alone.
4 money
5 pictures
we write each other every week so mail isn't an issue. Not coming till end of may but I want to be prepared...
Thanks in advance
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 05:43 PM

Going next weekend to visit. My hubby is now in the ranch?! I know nothing about it!! Do I have to schedule a visiting appt??
Old 05-02-2012, 10:28 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skyebo View Post
Going next weekend to visit. My hubby is now in the ranch?! I know nothing about it!! Do I have to schedule a visiting appt??
They have a ranch at SQ? Have you checked him on the CDC locater to see if he is still at SQ?
Old 05-02-2012, 12:32 PM

Thanked 1,048 Times in 654 Posts

Quote:
The last time I was at SQ they do have a ranch.. It's for low level offenders..
You can't wear jeans, because it is what the inmates wear. It is a contact visit, but call to make sure.. This number is for reception appoitments. (415) 455-5022
If it's not the right number, hopefully they can tranfer you or give you the right number. I wish you the best of luck.

Old 05-02-2012, 11:03 PM

Maybe it's not called the ranch? Lol I think I just thought that's what it was called. It's still SQ for sure though. He said it's a dorm and that he level 1 now. He works driving the buses with the COs back and forth.. Idk what it's called. I'll call the number though just to check! thank you!

Also?!?!? Is there somewhere I can call to ask where he's housed so I don't have to wonder like this?
Old 05-03-2012, 10:04 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Maybe it's not called the ranch? Lol I think I just thought that's what it was called. It's still SQ for sure though. He said it's a dorm and that he level 1 now. He works driving the buses with the COs back and forth.. Idk what it's called. I'll call the number though just to check! thank you!

Also?!?!? Is there somewhere I can call to ask where he's housed so I don't have to wonder like this?
Call his counselor or the visiting room. They are pretty tight about giving out that sort of information in case you are an enemy or something but if you are an approved visitor or on his contact list they will probably tell you at least what area he is housed in so you what visiting area etc. I have never heard of a "ranch" at SQ, although there is one at CMF.
Old 05-07-2012, 09:50 AM

Is the visiting room number the same as the number the previous "his1" poster said? If he isn't reception do I need to make an appointment?? He told me that they said I don't need to make an appointment but the housing that he said I keep forgetting -_- (mommy brain)
Would this outfit be okay or would they make me change?? I'm wearing a sports bra so no worrys with underwire. The shirt doesn't show cleavage. My skirt is long. Idk about the shoes though. Can I wear "dressy" sandals?

https://ne1.attach.mail.ymail.com/us...GgBZ1UFiMbJQ--

https://ne1.attach.mail.ymail.com/us...lqVa0OMxlK9Q--

https://ne1.attach.mail.ymail.com/us...JTECkmXPzb9w--
Old 05-10-2012, 12:02 AM

My question is: What can I wear to keep warm when I am visiting? Can I wear a coat, a down vest, etc.? I read scarves are not permitted and that I need either a "clear" raincoat or a "clear" umbrella if it is raining. Can anyone advise me where to find these things? If it is not raining, but it is cold, can I wear a sweater over everything or a coat? I usually wear layers wherever I go in Northern California, so that's why I am asking. Thank you!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:10 AM
DLC-MyLove-MyLife

Used to visit my husband at SQ, it's been a little while though. I hope this helps...

Maybe it's not called the ranch? Lol I think I just thought that's what it was called.
SQ used to have a ranch. I heard it closed and was moved into H Unit(where we used to visit), which was the next lowest level of security-
still Level 1.

My question is: What can I wear to keep warm when I am visiting?
You can wear a coat if it's cold-they'll have you take it off to go thru the metal detector, it will go thru the scanner with your shoes. I live about 40 mins from SQ-if you're visiting soon, the weather has been very nice & warm here so doubt you'll need a coat (maybe a sweater if you're going early since it's located right on SF Bay)-definitely won't need raincoat or umbrella.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dougiesb For This Useful Post:
His1 (05-29-2012), marie8899 (05-29-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:32 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
My question is: What can I wear to keep warm when I am visiting? Can I wear a coat, a down vest, etc.? I read scarves are not permitted and that I need either a "clear" raincoat or a "clear" umbrella if it is raining. Can anyone advise me where to find these things? If it is not raining, but it is cold, can I wear a sweater over everything or a coat? I usually wear layers wherever I go in Northern California, so that's why I am asking. Thank you!
Just remember if you layer, they will have you strip down to the lowest layer. If the lowest layer is unacceptable then they will send you up the hill the the suppert center to borrow clothes. They do no like many layers....I have worn a shirt with a sweatshirt/jacket and all was well because my shirt was acceptable - if you cannot see the bra (no underwire at all!) or the outline of the bra at all you will be OK. I would suggest to stay away from white.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidzMom For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (05-27-2012)
Old 05-10-2012, 09:36 AM
Donation Award 

Would this outfit be okay or would they make me change??

I could see anything on the links provided - they just took me to the Yahoo login page. Did anyone else have luck?

I'm wearing a sports bra so no worrys with underwire. The shirt doesn't show cleavage. My skirt is long. Idk about the shoes though. Can I wear "dressy" sandals?

Dressy sandals are OK from what I have seen. I would stay away from too much "bling" or metal though to be on the safe side. I have worn summer sandals without a back strap and it was no problem.
Old 05-10-2012, 04:47 PM

Help! My hubby's in H unit and se're visiting Saturday! Idk where I'm supposed to go or visiting procedure?? Anyone have this info?? I'll be driving. I feel ready with outfits, money, etc but idk where I'm going besides where the general prison is!
Old 05-10-2012, 06:32 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Help! My hubby's in H unit and se're visiting Saturday! Idk where I'm supposed to go or visiting procedure?? Anyone have this info?? I'll be driving. I feel ready with outfits, money, etc but idk where I'm going besides where the general prison is!
After you take the SQ exit off 580 (it is the first exit when you get off the Richmond Bridge or the last exit before you get on the bridge, depending on which direction you are coming from) follow the signs to SQ, it will take you to the gates of the prison. When you come to the stop sign facing the prison gates you will see a small building on the left where the hobby shop is. Turn down the little road just to the side of the building, it is clearly marked for visitors parking. Park and walk back up the little to road to the small building, enter on the parking lot side for H-Unit unless you can't use stairs in which case you can use the other entrance at the other end. You will then be in "the tunnel". If you get there before 7:00 you can get a number from someone at the front of the line. Go to the door at front of the line, which is in the middle of the tunnel and get the visitor form from the little table and fill it out while you are in line. They will begin processing visitors at 7:30 beginning with the 8:00 appointments. You don't need one for H-unit. Once they have processed the 8:00 appointments they will begin processing mainline (north block, H-Unit and part of West Block). They buzz the door open and you go in on your turn. Present your ID, and visitor form. Take your money, etc out of your bag so they can inspect it. Take off your jacket and anything else to your last clothing layer. Show them your pockets are empty. Once you are cleared and your ID, form, plus a print out are handed back to you, you step to the metal detector. Then, just like the airport, take off your shoes, belt and any jewelry that might set of the detector and place everything, money, id, jacket in the bins to go through xray. Step through the metal detector when the CO tells you to. Once through, get a stamp on your right wrist. Put on your shoes, belt, etc and wait for the shuttle to H-unit. I haven't been to H-unit but I'm sure it is not that different from north block where you present your id, printout and form to the first officer, he keeps the id and gives you the form and printout, and he lets you into the visiting area. You give the form and printout to the visiting room CO and then you take a seat while they call to have your guy come to the visiting room
Old 05-11-2012, 12:02 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket7 View Post
You will then be in "the tunnel". If you get there before 7:00 you can get a number from someone at the front of the line. Go to the door at front of the line, which is in the middle of the tunnel and get the visitor form from the little table and fill it out while you are in line. They will begin processing visitors at 7:30 beginning with the 8:00 appointments.
As of April 26,2012 procedure has changed. You will no longer fill out the forms - you will be called in and the officer will input your information into the computer and print out your visitor form. IDK about the getting a number part as I visit in reception BUT the people in line are very helpfull from what I have experienced!

ENJOY YOUR VISIT
Old 05-17-2012, 07:05 AM
Banned

Hello Ladies....
Can someone tell me how many visitors a SQ Death Row inmate can have at one time. I am not to sure where he is at but he did tell me that visits were in a cage. Also how far away do you have to live to be elegible for extended visits? Thank you!
Old 05-18-2012, 05:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmy2gurlz View Post
Hello Ladies....
Can someone tell me how many visitors a SQ Death Row inmate can have at one time. I am not to sure where he is at but he did tell me that visits were in a cage. Also how far away do you have to live to be elegible for extended visits? Thank you!
I believe you have to live 250 miles or more, to qualify for extended visits. If you qualify, you will get 12 hours to visit, spread out on Thur, Sat and Sun. For extended visits, you must write to SQ 30 days before your intended visit date and request the dates that you want to visit. Then, you must call in 2 weeks before the dates that you want to come, to verify that your request was granted.

I am not sure how many visitors can visit at one time. Maybe someone will come along to answer that question. You could also post this question in the Capital Punishment forum, too.

If he is Grade A, you will be visiting in a 'cage.' I think they all measure 4x7, except for one which measures 5x8. If he is Grade B it is behind glass.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to rosebud04 For This Useful Post:
appygal (06-27-2012), meandmy2gurlz (05-19-2012)
Old 05-19-2012, 07:14 PM
Banned

Rosebud4....Thank you so much. I am about 8 hours away driving wise so i would be over the 250 miles. I appreciate your help!
Old 05-27-2012, 12:56 PM

Default What can I wear to keep warm?

Thank you! Glad I can wear a coat. I can't visit yet (due to lockdown) but I'm worried it may be raining the day I am able to go. I read something about a "clear" umbrella or raincoat. Does that mean something without a color? Does anyone know where to find one (easily)? Also, they talk about a "clear" plastic purse (small). Any idea where to find that? What do other people use to carry things in? I would prefer to use something I could attach to myself (like a waist-pack or something around my neck) so I don't leave my money somewhere. Is there any legal way to do this? I guess the only other alternative is to put things in your pockets, if you have some. Any comments appreciated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dougiesb View Post
Used to visit my husband at SQ, it's been a little while though. I hope this helps...

Maybe it's not called the ranch? Lol I think I just thought that's what it was called.
SQ used to have a ranch. I heard it closed and was moved into H Unit(where we used to visit), which was the next lowest level of security-
still Level 1.

My question is: What can I wear to keep warm when I am visiting?
You can wear a coat if it's cold-they'll have you take it off to go thru the metal detector, it will go thru the scanner with your shoes. I live about 40 mins from SQ-if you're visiting soon, the weather has been very nice & warm here so doubt you'll need a coat (maybe a sweater if you're going early since it's located right on SF Bay)-definitely won't need raincoat or umbrella.
Old 05-27-2012, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by marie8899 View Post
Thank you! Glad I can wear a coat. I can't visit yet (due to lockdown) but I'm worried it may be raining the day I am able to go. I read something about a "clear" umbrella or raincoat. Does that mean something without a color? Does anyone know where to find one (easily)? Also, they talk about a "clear" plastic purse (small). Any idea where to find that? What do other people use to carry things in? I would prefer to use something I could attach to myself (like a waist-pack or something around my neck) so I don't leave my money somewhere. Is there any legal way to do this? I guess the only other alternative is to put things in your pockets, if you have some. Any comments appreciated.
Hi Marie,

You can bring you money in a clear ziplock baggie. You don't have to buy a clear purse. If you want to buy something cute, you can google 'clear purses prison' and several sites will pop up. Many companies are around that make clear bags, because the employees at the prisons, at many retail stores and some schools, etc have to have clear purses/bags. So, a clear bag or purse is easy to find. You can also use a clear cosmetic case, that I am sure you can find at Wal-mart. Here is an example of one site, this specific page is showing the cosmetic bags, but they also have tote bags...

http://www.theclearbagstore.com/shop...bags-c-11.html

I know you want to attach the purse, so I googled 'clear fanny pack' and several came up in images/shopping. Here is one...

http://www.getabag.com/content-produ...anny_pack.html

I googled 'clear umbrella' and then went to images/shopping and clicked on some. Here is one at target...

http://www.target.com/p/Futai-Clear-...a/-/A-13328326

Here is a link for a clear rain poncho, you can order from amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S2I3Z0/...SIN=B004S2I3Z0

Last edited by rosebud04; 05-27-2012 at 09:32 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to rosebud04 For This Useful Post:
marie8899 (05-28-2012)
Old 05-28-2012, 01:05 PM

Default "Clear" accessories

Your response brought a smile to my otherwise unsmiling face! Thank you for all the links (beyond the call of duty). I will go to every one of them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by rosebud04 View Post
Hi Marie,

You can bring you money in a clear ziplock baggie. You don't have to buy a clear purse. If you want to buy something cute, you can google 'clear purses prison' and several sites will pop up. Many companies are around that make clear bags, because the employees at the prisons, at many retail stores and some schools, etc have to have clear purses/bags. So, a clear bag or purse is easy to find. You can also use a clear cosmetic case, that I am sure you can find at Wal-mart. Here is an example of one site, this specific page is showing the cosmetic bags, but they also have tote bags...

http://www.theclearbagstore.com/shop...bags-c-11.html

I know you want to attach the purse, so I googled 'clear fanny pack' and several came up in images/shopping. Here is one...

http://www.getabag.com/content-produ...anny_pack.html

I googled 'clear umbrella' and then went to images/shopping and clicked on some. Here is one at target...

http://www.target.com/p/Futai-Clear-...a/-/A-13328326

Here is a link for a clear rain poncho, you can order from amazon...

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B004S2I3Z0/...SIN=B004S2I3Z0
Old 05-29-2012, 11:47 AM
Donation Award 

Marie,

You should know that if you are visiting reception you are not allowed anything but your ID and a single key. The clear purses/bags etc are for the contact visits. I watched a mother be turned back several times because she was trying to bring money in a clear bag (then her pocket) to visit reception. You are not even allowed paper in your pockets. A coat /jacket is fine but you need to have your pockets empty.....
The Following User Says Thank You to KidzMom For This Useful Post:
dmoneyswife (08-16-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 09:45 PM

Default Visiting Reception

I'm so glad you posted this. Only a key and an ID (who would have thought?). I guess that just means don't bring money, don't bring the purse, and hope it's not raining (just ordered a "clear" umbrella!). I really appreciate your response. I feel better knowing at least I can bring a coat. Thanks very much!

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidzMom View Post
Marie,

You should know that if you are visiting reception you are not allowed anything but your ID and a single key. The clear purses/bags etc are for the contact visits. I watched a mother be turned back several times because she was trying to bring money in a clear bag (then her pocket) to visit reception. You are not even allowed paper in your pockets. A coat /jacket is fine but you need to have your pockets empty.....
The Following User Says Thank You to marie8899 For This Useful Post:
dmoneyswife (08-16-2012)
Old 05-29-2012, 11:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidzMom View Post
Marie,

what if you getting to the prison by public transportation because i don't have a reliable vehicle at the moment. So I have to catch BART and a bus just to get there and back (i have to use $ for that). Do they have lockers that you could put your personal belongings in?
Old 05-30-2012, 09:28 AM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie_Wifey View Post
what if you getting to the prison by public transportation because i don't have a reliable vehicle at the moment. So I have to catch BART and a bus just to get there and back (i have to use $ for that). Do they have lockers that you could put your personal belongings in?

Yes - they have lockers with keys. I believe they are at no cost. The lockers are located in the hallway that you wait in so it will not be difficult to find them. Just put your items in the locker and take the key and your ID in with you.

I hope your trip goes smooth and enjoy your visit!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to KidzMom For This Useful Post:
appygal (06-27-2012), Bobbie_Wifey (05-30-2012)
Old 05-30-2012, 06:07 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie_Wifey View Post
The lockers cost .50 and they only accept quarters so be sure to have 2 quarters with you.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to cricket7 For This Useful Post:
appygal (06-27-2012), Bobbie_Wifey (05-30-2012), KidzMom (05-31-2012)
Closed Thread