Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > OREGON > Oregon Prison Visitation
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Oregon Prison Visitation All information & questions related to visitation in all Oregon facilities should be posted here.

Old 04-26-2012, 02:55 AM

Default What is visiting like at OSP?

I just found out my husband is probably being transferred from EOCI to OSP. I was just curious how the visiting works there and how the environment is. Thanks so much
Old 04-26-2012, 03:39 AM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,625 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&F1403 View Post
I just found out my husband is probably being transferred from EOCI to OSP. I was just curious how the visiting works there and how the environment is. Thanks so much
I visit my fiance at OSP and to me it is a dungeon. All of the guards seem nice, accept for one lady that was a bitch to me my first visit. I have not had to deal with her since then. The guards in the visiting room are nice, and the guy that takes the pictures is really cool.

Be careful what you wear, as they can be pretty picky at times. I always wear very basic clothing, just in case. If you are traveling far, it is wise to bring an extra set of clothing.

If you get there early (morning visit), you cannot go up to the prison until 10 til. You have to stand at the garbage can out by the parking area, or sit in you car. Once it is 10 til, you walk up the sidewalk and into the front of the prison, then you will enter the visitors area, sign in, and wait to be called to go through the metal detector. There are lockers you can put stuff in and a token machine. Once you have made it through the metal detector, they allow 10 people at a time to go through to the visiting room. If there is more than 10, you have to wait until those 10 get taken to the actual visiting room. There are two gates you have to go through before entering the visiting room.

The inmates only get one bathroom break about half way into the visit. So, if you have someone that has a small bladder, they are screwed if they drink alot while visiting.

There is an area in the back of the visiting room that has a little play area for kids, if that is something you are wanting to know about.

After my first visit, things have been good. I do however set off the stupid metal detector every time I go, and I am not wearing an underwire. I have to hold the clasp on my bra and walk through sideways. You have three trys to get through it, after that, they either pat you down or turn you away.

I hope this clears things up for you a little bit. If you end up visiting there, I hope you have good luck!

Peace~

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to InmateLover67 For This Useful Post:
.random.person. (08-19-2012), S&F1403 (04-27-2012), Scott (05-03-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:44 PM

Thank you, it sounds a lot more stressful than EOCI. There it is pretty laid back. But I'm just happy my husband isn't going to be a five hour car ride away now
Old 05-01-2012, 03:36 PM

I agree EOCI is amazing. I go there every month to see my BF. He is going to be transfered to a minimum soon and it might be OSP or Santiam?

Old 05-02-2012, 12:35 PM
Madden's NEVER give in!

My husband is at EOCI as well and it is the only place I have had visits. And my husband will be going minimum in less than 60 days now as well. But the talk of his minimum housing sounds like it will be Mill Creek. Where do you travel from to go visit....and will he be closer once he is moved to osp? I'm in central oregon so I already have that five hour drive (and I am going up to pendleton tomorrow evening, to surprise him on Friday morning with a much needed visit ) I think that we tend to get comfortable and learn what does and what does not work in visiting and just as u get into the swing of things, with the COs in visiting , then they up and switch all the COs on ya,, just to start that whole awkward cycle over again. Its the fear of the unknown that we really want answer for. But I believe that no matter where we All end up,,, we are all going to be just fine. And you know that there is nothing that would keep you away from "visits" now really...its the one thing we do have, the visits, and realistically, it could be anywhere. . . And we would still go and be there no matter what
Old 05-03-2012, 01:56 AM

It is hard to learn how each visiting works. First he was a SRCI, which was 8 hours away. Then he got moved to EOCI (where the visiting was a lot better and more organised) which is about a five hour drive, and now he is going to be at OSP. But to me this is amazing because now it will only be a twenty minute drive! I'm so excited. Now I can see my husband a few times a week instead of about every two months. And we'll be saving a lot of money because when I visit him at EOCI I usually stay a few days so that means gas, hotel, and missing work. So this is truly a blessing.
Old 05-08-2012, 12:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by judgeMadden View Post
My husband is at EOCI as well and it is the only place I have had visits. And my husband will be going minimum in less than 60 days now as well. But the talk of his minimum housing sounds like it will be Mill Creek. Where do you travel from to go visit....and will he be closer once he is moved to osp? I'm in central oregon so I already have that five hour drive (and I am going up to pendleton tomorrow evening, to surprise him on Friday morning with a much needed visit ) I think that we tend to get comfortable and learn what does and what does not work in visiting and just as u get into the swing of things, with the COs in visiting , then they up and switch all the COs on ya,, just to start that whole awkward cycle over again. Its the fear of the unknown that we really want answer for. But I believe that no matter where we All end up,,, we are all going to be just fine. And you know that there is nothing that would keep you away from "visits" now really...its the one thing we do have, the visits, and realistically, it could be anywhere. . . And we would still go and be there no matter what
I come from WA. So its a 6 hr drive. Him going somewhere in Salem will be about a 3 hr drive. So a lot closer, and his family live there so I wont have to get hotel. Im going May 24th through that sunday I can't wait its been two months.

Old 05-30-2012, 11:53 PM

my man got moved to osp hes been there about 3weeks already. the guards were rude cuz i didnt really know how things worked there so i was new to everything. and then when sometimes i get there right when its time to check in and the fucking call my man late for his visit ill be sitting in the visiting room for about an hour! ugh.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Missing_Him<3 View Post
my man got moved to osp hes been there about 3weeks already. the guards were rude cuz i didnt really know how things worked there so i was new to everything. and then when sometimes i get there right when its time to check in and the fucking call my man late for his visit ill be sitting in the visiting room for about an hour! ugh.
I have been getting to OSP about 7:15 and they have already taken the early-birds down, so I end up waiting for my fiance, however, I have never waited longer that 15 minutes or so.

When I used to get there before they opened visits, he would be waiting on me. It also depends on how many people are in front of you, I noticed the more there is, the better the chances are for him to wait on me, which I kinda like..lol

I remember my first visit there, I did NOT have a good experience, but once they get to know you, they are much better.

Peace~

Old 06-03-2012, 12:08 AM

I will agree most of the guards at OSP are so rude! Especially the older gentleman at the front desk with the mustache. It's such a big change from EOCI
Old 06-03-2012, 06:00 AM

Does anyone know how visiting works for infants like do they have a dress code if so what is it?
Old 06-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,888 Times in 1,282 Posts

My (admittedly very vague) understanding of infant's/children's dress code is that it has to follow all the same rules as adult dress codes. All of the children I've seen at visitation were pretty well covered up. No babies only in diapers, for example. I've only seen one baby and that one was in a long sleeved onesie type thing (the kind that sort of look like sleeping bags below the waist).
Old 08-19-2012, 03:49 PM
Hey there :D

My mom, my sister, & I used to go to OSP a lot to visit my stepdad. InmateLover67 is absolutely right, DEFINITELY bring an extra outfit with you, just in case. Some of the guards can be pretty grumpy, but some of them are okay.

You can bring a small clear bag down to visiting with you (even a ziploc bag is fine, last I knew) to carry your photo ID, locker key, & tokens. The tokens are used for the vending machines down in visiting- nooooo "street money!" There's a money-to-tokens machine upstairs that takes quarters, $1, and (I think) $5.

After they take you down to the visiting room your inmate may already be there or you may have to wait a few minutes for him to get there, depending on when they told him he has a visitor (and where he was in the facility when they told him). When you guys first meet up you can have a hug and a kiss if you want to, but after that (if it's just the two of you) you have to sit across from each other at little tables (you can hold hands all throughout the visit, though). If it's you and other people/another person visiting him together, there's bigger seating on the far side of the room and the visitors can sit next to him.

InmateLover67 is right, the inmates only get 1 chance to go to the bathroom. Visitors can go whenever they want to, just get the key from the guard at the desk and don't forget to sign in on the clipboard.

Almost all of the times that I visited my stepdad we could get pictures taken if we wanted. They're Polaroids taken against a gray-ish purple-ish marbled background- for holidays they sometimes have something special like a Christmas tree. I remember one Easter one of my stepdad's buddies dressed up as the Easter Bunny to pose in the pictures, if people wanted. XD

The guards usually give a five-minute time warning when it's almost time to leave. When it's time you can do the hug-and-kiss deal again. My stepdad always walked with us up to the vending machines, then we had to part ways.

There's a break at about noon (I can't remember the exact time), a perfect time to grab a quick lunch if you're doing both morning and afternoon visits. If you're coming back to afternoon visiting, be sure to get back on time so you don't have to wait in a super-long line. Remember, the earlier you are on the front desk visitor's list, the earlier you'll be called to go down and the more likely it is that you'll have as much time with your inmate as possible.

I hope you have a nice time with your guy, and don't let the guards bring you down. Sometimes we just have to remind them "Hey, I'M not the one who's locked up here!"
and not for disaster,
to give you
a
future
and a hope.'"
--Jeremiah 29:11

Old 08-31-2012, 06:04 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andresgirl3 View Post
I agree EOCI is amazing. I go there every month to see my BF. He is going to be transfered to a minimum soon and it might be OSP or Santiam?
OSP is NOT minimum, it is med/max...they closed the minimum at OSP.

Peace~

Old 08-31-2012, 06:07 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Quote:
Originally Posted by S&F1403 View Post
I will agree most of the guards at OSP are so rude! Especially the older gentleman at the front desk with the mustache. It's such a big change from EOCI
It is funny that you say the older guy with the stash is grumpy....I thought that too until I started killing him with kindness...he has ligthened up a ton. They all have their moods, but then again I would too if I had their job...not fun.

Peace~

Old 08-31-2012, 07:35 PM

LOL.... That's so funny you said that about the man with the stash because he has gotten a lot nicer now that he recognizes me since I go so often.