Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > UNITED KINGDOM PRISON FORUMS > Transatlantic Connection
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Transatlantic Connection Forum specifically for UK members with loved ones in the US prison system or US members with loved ones in the British prison system.

Old 05-01-2012, 01:49 PM

Default I'm back from my trip....... and moving to the USA

Hi Guys.....Bangers&mash here!!

I'm back from my 12 week visit in the U.S......woohooo .....or maybe that should be boohoo ....

Anyway a lot has happened since I last posted on here...when that was I don't know but I've been gone since the 8th February so it's quite sometime.

As some already knew I had a pen pal that I wrote to for over three years, well anyway he got released in Feb and I had to go over to be with him. When he first got released we went through some ups and downs but that was to be expected. After a few weeks he found work and started earning some good money...I am so proud of him!! Then in March he proposed to me and I accepted. On the 14th April we got married and it was the happiest day of my life. I have returned to the U.K as this is my home but I now need to decide how I get to be with my hubby in the states. The visa process looks so confusing and it somewhat puts me off even pursuing all that's ahead.....

Anyway I hope you've all been well and I must apologise for not keeping you up to date with my news...

The Following User Says Thank You to Bangers&mash For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (05-04-2013)
Sponsored Links
Old 05-01-2012, 03:13 PM
English Super Moderator

PTO Super Moderator PTO Ambassador of the Year 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,517 Times in 6,747 Posts

Yippeee, Congratulations on your brilliant visit and coming back as a Mrs

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
Bangers&mash (05-01-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 03:26 PM

Awwww thanks my dear....how thoughful of you..I am really struggling being so far away from my new hubby.....The next dilemma is immigration........oh my what have I got myself in too........lol
Old 05-01-2012, 06:21 PM
Busy Dizzy Admin
Donation Award 

Thanked 19,988 Times in 5,052 Posts

Congrats to you both.

Having just emigrated to Australia, I would strongly suggest you find yourself a reputable migration agent/advisor. It makes life a lot easier and in the long run saves you a lot of leg work.

I have no idea if there are such things as agents for the US, but we used one to help us complete the process for Aus. and he was a godsend.

Rach xx

Download your copy here: PTO Quarterly

The Following User Says Thank You to Rachel For This Useful Post:
Bangers&mash (05-02-2012)
Old 05-01-2012, 08:45 PM

Wow that's amazing congratulations to you both and I hope you don't have to wait to long to be together again x
Old 05-02-2012, 12:25 AM

Congratulations to you both!! I hope the visa situation doesn't take too long to work out so you can be together again!

Capital punishment is the most premeditated of murders, to which no criminal's deed, however calculated, can be compared. Albert Camus

A man may be destroyed but not defeated. Ernest Hemingway
Old 05-02-2012, 11:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rachel View Post
Congrats to you both.

Having just emigrated to Australia, I would strongly suggest you find yourself a reputable migration agent/advisor. It makes life a lot easier and in the long run saves you a lot of leg work.

I have no idea if there are such things as agents for the US, but we used one to help us complete the process for Aus. and he was a godsend.

Rach xx
Thanks for the congratulations I am a very happy peep right now.....

Rachel thanks for the advice...Actually me and my husband (Feels weird saying that Lol) are looking in to hiring an immigration lawyer, I think this will take the strain off as I've heard submitting the visa's by yourself can be very hard to do. It will probably cost around $2000 but he's sure worth it........
Old 09-28-2012, 09:17 AM

Default Update

Hi All!

Once again I apologise for not being around. Me & hubby have been going through a very tough time since I returned home. He hasn't been coping at all well and it's so frustrating because there isn't anything I can do from here. He's been on parole nearly eight months now and by the looks of it will be off in February next year, so not long.

He doesn't have a driving licence due to losing it from a DUI he got before he was incarcerated. He then proceeded to buy a car and had been driving it for a few weeks before I found out. He lives out in the wilds and usually gets lifts to work but sometimes they don't show up so he then proceeds to drive himself to work and I can understand that he doesn't have a choice sometimes. He's working so hard and earning well and I'm proud of him, I really am but this scares the hell out of me because I don't want anything jeopardising his parole. I do understand it's difficult for him being without transport and a licence but he doesn't have long left & I'm so concerned. The last few weeks he's been trying his best not to drive and I'm proud of him but it doesn't stop me from worrying about him. I just wish I could be there, be that wife that can take him to work, shopping etc. But I can't until my I-130 is approved and that could be months.

Anyway, just wanted to vent and let you all know what's going on.
Old 09-29-2012, 02:37 PM
English Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Great to see you back but I am sorry to here things are so stressful for the both of you. I can understand your concerns about him driving and he probably can too but sometimes its just so easy to jump in the car. I hope your I-130 is through soon and you can be there by his side

Old 02-28-2013, 09:36 AM

Smile

Hi All

It seems like forever since I was on here It's funny, the longer you stay away from a forum the harder it seems to come back. I do feel guilty that I haven't taken the time out, it's just that life has been hectic here. So please accept my apologies.....

Anyway, I thought I would drop by and give you all an update. As some of you might know me & hubby applied for the I-130 last July, well were currently at the 'Affidavit of support' part. This is a crucial part because hubby needs to prove that he can support me. One problem is that he has only been out just over a year so has just one years tax returns. On the I-864 form they require you to put three years tax return figures. I am hoping that the fact hubby is earning roughly $28,000 says to immigration that he's well over the poverty level so in turn doesn't mean we need a co-sponsor....

I suppose the main reason I am posting this is so I can help anyone else that is thinking of going down the visa route some advice & support. Because it's the most confusing, mentally draining and emotional thing I've ever had to deal with. So if I can be of assistance please feel free to contact me

Anyway, I do hope your all well and life is good.....xx
Old 03-01-2013, 03:09 AM
English Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Welcome back Bangers Its great to see you on here again and I am glad things are progressing for you and your husband. The information about your visa etc is very useful so please continue to update us

The Following User Says Thank You to lisainengland For This Useful Post:
Bangers&mash (03-02-2013)
Old 03-02-2013, 05:28 AM

Thanks Lisa....I will keep one and all updated on my visa process. I know how daunting the whole process is, so if I can relieve the stress for someone else who is going through it then I'm quite happy to be of assistance...
The Following User Says Thank You to Bangers&mash For This Useful Post:
Jinty62 (06-16-2013)
Old 05-04-2013, 09:22 AM

Default Update on visa

Hi Everyone

Well as promised I am back to give you all an update on my visa process. The good news is that last week I received an interview date for my CR1 visa at the American Embassy in London. Before you have this interview you have to attend a medical in London. This I have booked for the 22nd May. So it looks like I will be moving to America around the second week of July.

I can't tell you how hard it's been over the years. Falling in love with someone who's in prison, being so far apart from each other has been hell. Then marrying someone you can't be with is even harder. The visa process from start to finish has taken nearly a year and my has it been a long year. But I'm thankful that me and hubby have kept fighting to be with each other, because it's worked out in the end.

So to all of you that are thinking of settling down with someone from overseas, don't give up, keep strong and fight for what you want because I am proof that love will succeed....
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bangers&mash For This Useful Post:
benignneglect (05-04-2013), brunhilde (05-04-2013), Jinty62 (05-04-2013), lisainengland (05-04-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 04:48 AM

Smile Update

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bangers&mash View Post
Hi Everyone

Well as promised I am back to give you all an update on my visa process. The good news is that last week I received an interview date for my CR1 visa at the American Embassy in London. Before you have this interview you have to attend a medical in London. This I have booked for the 22nd May. So it looks like I will be moving to America around the second week of July.

I can't tell you how hard it's been over the years. Falling in love with someone who's in prison, being so far apart from each other has been hell. Then marrying someone you can't be with is even harder. The visa process from start to finish has taken nearly a year and my has it been a long year. But I'm thankful that me and hubby have kept fighting to be with each other, because it's worked out in the end.

So to all of you that are thinking of settling down with someone from overseas, don't give up, keep strong and fight for what you want because I am proof that love will succeed....
Thought I would let you all know that I was approved my spouses visa in London on the 10th June Already have passport and visa in hand!! All that's left to do now is pack up my belongings and make my new life in the U.S.A.....
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bangers&mash For This Useful Post:
D's baby (06-16-2013), Jinty62 (06-16-2013), lisainengland (06-16-2013)
Old 06-16-2013, 04:53 AM
English Super Moderator

Donation Award 

Brilliant news, Congratulations I hope you have many years of happiness in the USA

Old 06-16-2013, 09:00 AM
His dimples

Thank you for giving the rest of us starting out on this journey hope �� congratulations and I hope you will both be very happy ��
Old 06-16-2013, 09:35 AM

Thank you for your posts......just goes to show that love can concur all! Good luck in your new life. Hope you enjoy living in the US and may I say "Welcome"
Old 06-16-2013, 10:36 AM

That's absolutely wonderful! Congratulations! I'm going through the joys of immigration also, but I'm doing it from the US. We married while I was here on a student visa so I'm hoping the whole process will be plain sailing.
Best of luck to you and your new life
Old 06-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Donation Award 

Congrats! Best of luck on your new life!