Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 12-19-2011, 08:02 PM

Thanked 5,131 Times in 2,375 Posts

The ONLY way to get HepC is via blood to blood contact! Period. So the blood of a contaminated person came in contact with your blood and you got contaminated. Can that happen sexually? If his penis is bleeding & nd you vagina is bleeding at the same time, then yes, it is possible. The disease is poorly understood, even by general practice physicians.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Missingmyman76 View Post
I have hep C and to this day the dr is not positive how I got it -- he is about 85% sure I got mine from my ex husband. I have never used any street drugs and both my tattoos were done professionally with me watching them open the needle packaging. I do know that he got very badly cut about 3 years into our marriage and I took care of it bandaging and cleaning and so forth; so I could have easily got it then b/c I worked with my hands and they were always cut ( did one of them open up-- I don't know) The only way I could have gotten it by a dirty needle is I'm diabetic and plenty of times hosp have brought my insulin already drawn up. That being said my ex had many blood transfusions back in the early 80's when they didn't test for it. My dr told me before my outbreak in 2009 that I had it for several years but did not know exactly how long. So that being said my kids then 2 and 7 had to be tested to make sure I had not passed it to them when they were born and thank God so far neither has it. I'm going to say this just be careful who you are with, how you have sex, who you help, bc no matter if you have never done anything bad to get it -- you def can and like me it can sneak up on you. I was at work and thought I had a virus b/c I got very sick like my sugar was dropping -- 2 bosses told me I was yellow. (Jaundice) I went to ER and spent 4 days in Hosp why they ran test after test and had all sorts of questions asked ( more from my nosey family than from the drs lol) b/c they thought my bf gave it to me. I can not pass it I have to low of a count now and my bf (hes the one in prison) does NOT have it. But that being said he has stuck by me this past year and told me that he will always be here even if it means there still is that slight risk my numbers could go back up. That being said now everyone knows why I stand by my man why he does his time; not just bc I love him very much but bc I could not have asked for a better support group when I was down and now I'm paying him back for loving me unconditionally. Nikki
Sponsored Links
Old 03-15-2012, 01:03 AM

Unhappy Hepititus C...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsbaby08 View Post
Ok sorry if i sound pissy but im mad right now and have a question to ask..Has anyone on here ever gotten hepatitis C through having sex , no drug use involved to other possible way to have gotten it but by just having sex with an infected person?? My fiancee has hepatitis C when i first met him he kept it from me because he was afraid i wouldnt wanna be with him and at that time not knowing as much as i do now about it he probably would have been right..Anyways he told me he didnt tell me because he was told by a doctor when he was in prison that hepatitis C was so rare to catch through sexual contact that they've never actually had any just sexual cases recorded that most where from tattoos or needles, drug needles mostly( that is how he caught it)...Anyways im tired of arguing with my mother about it 24/7 ive read plenty of websites saying the risks of catching it through sex are very low...I've been with him almost 2 yrs now and was pregnant(misscarriage) by him,tested and dont have it...
I'm sorry to say that...YES you can get it through sexual contact and your main concern besides the disease is 'if' you plan on having a child with this person... and you should have been told the truth. If you can live with someone not telling you important things that has to do with your life...then go ahead. My prayers go out to you...
Old 03-22-2012, 07:53 PM
Melody68

My fiancé and I discovered he had hep c when doing pre op for surgery in december and we have never used protection so there was concerns for me, mostly from him thinking he could have caused me harm but I went and talk to my Dr. Was tested and was negative. I told him nothing will change in our relationship. I will get regular testing and if one day I happen to get it then we will handle it. I love him and stand by him no matter what.
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody68 For This Useful Post:
dcrc50 (08-31-2012)
Old 03-23-2012, 11:04 PM
Banned

Oh man, i need to know cus my man just found out he had it. I dont do intravenous drugs so i thought i was ok. But my doctor told me that it can be passed sexually and it can lay dormant so get tested regularly.
My son has had health issues. He was born big, over 9 lbs but is 9 months old now and is only 15 pounds. They diagnosed him with somethin called failure to thrive. Which basically means hes stopped growin and they dont know why. He eats, hes happy and healthy. He crawls he says simple words mumma dada baba bimpa (binky). Hes seen teams and teams of doctors. I never thought to check him for hep. C. Or even mention it for that matter. Guess its time to call the doctor...
Old 03-24-2012, 10:12 AM
Melody68

You can get it through sex but it's rare I was told unless the sex is either rough or there's bleeding involved. I know my Dr said you can't through semen but I get tested regularly. I have kids with my oldest being handicapped but nothing to do with Hep C.
The Following User Says Thank You to Melody68 For This Useful Post:
Trondogs (08-05-2012)
Old 03-24-2012, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HisLoveAwaits

The treatment for Hep C is NASTY! It brings many to want to committ suicide. Its like having the flu a thousand times over. Prison might not be a good place for treatment.

However, tell your husband to go easy on his liver. Red meat and Iron is hard on a comprimised liver. The only thing he can do is take best care of himself possible. Good luck to you both.
Yea my brother in law went thru it. While he was in prison. He was so sick and he gained SO MUCH WEIGHT! But then, it went undetected. Je lost weight, got his muscles back and u would never know
Plus, my man has hep c and hes in prison. But they wont treat it. Unfortunately unless ur like dying they wont do much for u
Old 03-25-2012, 10:57 AM
Hangin' in there - Super Mod

PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 22,883 Times in 7,109 Posts

According to this Mayo Clinic piece

Quote:
If you're in a long-term, monogamous relationship with a partner who has hepatitis C, your risk of contracting hepatitis C is thought to be low. For these monogamous couples, the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) doesn't recommend routine condom use to prevent transmission. But couples should avoid sharing razors, toothbrushes and nail clippers.
It's worth noting, though, that "low" does not mean "non-existant", so I'd think that it would be wise to avoid types of contact that are considered especially risky, like sex when either partner has an abrasion or open wound and...uhm...er.... activities that rely on intense friction should probably involve condoms because "playing rough" can cause tiny tears and abrasions in delicate tissue, increasing the risk of contracting any virus or bacterial infection that happens to be lurking around.

In memory of Mrs. Dragoness

Speak your mind-
Even if your voice shakes

Specializing in pest control- Site Exterminator.

Last edited by LeBeau; 03-25-2012 at 11:04 AM..
The Following User Says Thank You to LeBeau For This Useful Post:
Trondogs (08-05-2012)
Old 04-05-2012, 09:54 PM

the only way to catch it is through contact with blood my husband has it and i have it to now
Old 05-01-2012, 02:16 PM
Melody68

My fiancé was just told today that even though he has Hep C he wouldn't be getting treatments in jail. They said it's an 18 month program and he has 16 weeks to go on his time.
Old 05-01-2012, 02:42 PM

Although that is correct, if you can get his medical records before he leaves it will not only save bunches of money for testing but it will also allow the doctors on the outside to gauge whether the disease is stable, active, in remission, etc.

The medication is not for everyone. Each patient must be evaluated on a case by case basis. The treatment is not easy. There are many side effects.

If the doctor determines that he does qualify for treatment, there is a way to get the medication for free as long as he is very compliant with the appointments to the doctor. I would suggest to start looking for a hepatologist in your area and find out how and when to begin treatment for him on the outside. It will still be 18 months of treatment. One year of medication and 6 months of follow up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melody68 View Post
My fiancé was just told today that even though he has Hep C he wouldn't be getting treatments in jail. They said it's an 18 month program and he has 16 weeks to go on his time.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:02 PM
Banned

I have gotten hep c through sex. Unfortunately, my fiance is a recovering intravenous drug user. He shared a needle with someone who had shared a needle with someone. Well he stopped using and i got pregnant with our second son. He went away right after the birth and i didnt get to talk to him for a few weeks. I was sooo sick.
When i did get to hear from him, bad news dont hate me babe i tested positive for hep c. So i got tested and im positive for hep c. Thankfully neither of my children are.
You can live a full happy long life, but u need to be careful and take care of urself. Limit drinkin and drug use, exercise, and listen to ur body.
I had to do 6 months of peg interferon and its not fun. But my hep c has since gone undetected. Im not cured but im not sick either.
Old 06-30-2012, 06:22 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1love
Although that is correct, if you can get his medical records before he leaves it will not only save bunches of money for testing but it will also allow the doctors on the outside to gauge whether the disease is stable, active, in remission, etc.

The medication is not for everyone. Each patient must be evaluated on a case by case basis. The treatment is not easy. There are many side effects.

If the doctor determines that he does qualify for treatment, there is a way to get the medication for free as long as he is very compliant with the appointments to the doctor. I would suggest to start looking for a hepatologist in your area and find out how and when to begin treatment for him on the outside. It will still be 18 months of treatment. One year of medication and 6 months of follow up.
You can have hep c and not need treatment. Unfortunately unless you are on the verge of dying or you are really ill they wont treat it.
Old 07-24-2012, 09:03 AM
Donation Award 

My husband got Hep C though his prison tats. My doctor told me that it would be veryunlikely I would get it. But, told me to be really careful if I have any sores or cuts in my mouth about kissing him at a visit.
Old 07-25-2012, 07:28 PM

Unfortunately unless you are on the verge of dying or you are really ill they wont treat it.[/quote]

This is not a true statement. I am not sure if you are referring to inmates or just people in general. Although the guidelines for treatment vary a bit, the criteria for treatment is very similar. The guidelines are a bit different. Treatment is available to inmates who qualify for treatment.

If a patient has genotype 1a-
  • They must have a minimum of 18 months remaining on their sentence to be considered for treatment.
  • They cannot have a history of depression or psych disorders.
  • They cannot have cirrhosis of the liver because the medication does not work if there is cirrhosis.
  • And the patient must be under 180 pounds. Some docs will push this to the 200 mark, however the medication does not work on individuals heavier than 90kg. The medication is dose dependent, and the dose is supposed to be weight dependent. The FDA however would not approve all doses due to side effects. The dose that was approved maxs out at 90kg.
  • They cannot be eligible for parole or work release and they must be in mental and physical shape in the doctor's opinion to endure the treatment without stops and starts for 1 full year followed by 6 months of follow up. The reason for this is that you cannot "partially treat" a patient. It must be an all or nothing decision.

If while on treatment, the side effects become so severe that they are debilitating or require hospitalization, the treatment will be stopped and will not be resumed.

6 months into treatment lab work is done to determine serological response. If the patient has not responded, the medication is not continued. If there is a response, the treatment continues for the remaining 6 months.

If the genotype is NOT 1a
Everything stated above for genotype 1a still applies except for :
  • Only 6 months of treatment is required. For those patients one year needs to be remaining on the sentence.
  • Again, no work release or pending parole permitted.
  • Treatment is given for the full 6 months, and the patient is observed for another 6 months.

In the free world, the doctors are free to do more frequent blood work. They can also adjust the dose up or down.

There is an enormous amount of information posted in this forum for Hep C and the treatment. As I always say, the treatment is not for everyone and each patient must be evaluated on a case by case basis.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kcouture7 View Post
You can have hep c and not need treatment. Unfortunately unless you are on the verge of dying or you are really ill they wont treat it.
Old 07-28-2012, 10:42 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by only1love
Unfortunately unless you are on the verge of dying or you are really ill they wont treat it.
This is not a true statement. I am not sure if you are referring to inmates or just people in general. Although the guidelines for treatment vary a bit, the criteria for treatment is very similar. The guidelines are a bit different. Treatment is available to inmates who qualify for treatment.

If a patient has genotype 1a-
[*]They must have a minimum of 18 months remaining on their sentence to be considered for treatment. [*] They cannot have a history of depression or psych disorders.[*] They cannot have cirrhosis of the liver because the medication does not work if there is cirrhosis. [*]And the patient must be under 180 pounds. Some docs will push this to the 200 mark, however the medication does not work on individuals heavier than 90kg. The medication is dose dependent, and the dose is supposed to be weight dependent. The FDA however would not approve all doses due to side effects. The dose that was approved maxs out at 90kg. [*] They cannot be eligible for parole or work release and they must be in mental and physical shape in the doctor's opinion to endure the treatment without stops and starts for 1 full year followed by 6 months of follow up. The reason for this is that you cannot "partially treat" a patient. It must be an all or nothing decision.

If while on treatment, the side effects become so severe that they are debilitating or require hospitalization, the treatment will be stopped and will not be resumed.

6 months into treatment lab work is done to determine serological response. If the patient has not responded, the medication is not continued. If there is a response, the treatment continues for the remaining 6 months.

If the genotype is NOT 1a
Everything stated above for genotype 1a still applies except for :
[*]Only 6 months of treatment is required. For those patients one year needs to be remaining on the sentence. [*] Again, no work release or pending parole permitted. [*] Treatment is given for the full 6 months, and the patient is observed for another 6 months.

In the free world, the doctors are free to do more frequent blood work. They can also adjust the dose up or down.

There is an enormous amount of information posted in this forum for Hep C and the treatment. As I always say, the treatment is not for everyone and each patient must be evaluated on a case by case basis.

[/quote]

Ok well i have hep c, and even though ive been thru treatment once, the disease is no detectable in my system and i am having complications from the disease again, because my liver levels are not at drastically high levels, i wont receive treatment again until they reach a certain level. And ive been treated at mass general, one of the best hospitals not only in boston but in the world
And my husband is in prison in massachusetts. He is on dialysis becaise his kidneys are failing which is a side effect of his hepatitis. He is a model inmate, hasnt been in trouble hasnt been in the hole hasnt been in any fights. And they will treat his kidney failure, but they theres a waitin list almost 3 years long for him to receive interferon treatment.
So it doesnt matter what type of hepatitis you have, whether or not you are in prison or not, maybe your experience is different but mass has the highest opiate addiction rate, which makes it one of the highest rates of hepatitis sickness and interferon is not available for just anybody at anytime.
And the worst part, if ur in prison and u r on treatments and u get a ticket for anythin, not tuckin in ur t shirt not returnin a library book on time gettin into an argument, you r immediately removed from treatment and refused interferon for the rest of ur bid
So again, maybe where ur from is different but where im at in boston ma, this is how shit works
Old 07-28-2012, 11:53 AM
Banned

And like what happens to those people, like my fiance, who are 6'6 and will never weigh 200 lbs in his life? I know, they treat his symptoms til the disease gets the best of him and he gets taken away
Old 07-29-2012, 01:51 AM
Account Closed

Default Collidal Silver

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrewsbaby08 View Post
Ok sorry if i sound pissy but im mad right now and have a question to ask..Has anyone on here ever gotten hepatitis C through having sex , no drug use involved to other possible way to have gotten it but by just having sex with an infected person?? My fiancee has hepatitis C when i first met him he kept it from me because he was afraid i wouldnt wanna be with him and at that time not knowing as much as i do now about it he probably would have been right..Anyways he told me he didnt tell me because he was told by a doctor when he was in prison that hepatitis C was so rare to catch through sexual contact that they've never actually had any just sexual cases recorded that most where from tattoos or needles, drug needles mostly( that is how he caught it)...Anyways im tired of arguing with my mother about it 24/7 ive read plenty of websites saying the risks of catching it through sex are very low...I've been with him almost 2 yrs now and was pregnant(misscarriage) by him,tested and dont have it...

Collidal Silver has been shown to kill the virus. I do not have it but have known people that have had it . I have known person that said that Collodial Silver cures it . If you truly love him dont worry about we are all going to die one day . Just find something to kill the virus if it exist. Talk to a Herbalist go to GNC or the Vitaim Shop and talk to a Doctor since I am not a professional.

Peace

Last edited by HaveHopeNetwork; 07-29-2012 at 01:52 AM..
Old 07-29-2012, 08:48 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by HaveHopeNetwork

Collidal Silver has been shown to kill the virus. I do not have it but have known people that have had it . I have known person that said that Collodial Silver cures it . If you truly love him dont worry about we are all going to die one day . Just find something to kill the virus if it exist. Talk to a Herbalist go to GNC or the Vitaim Shop and talk to a Doctor since I am not a professional.

Peace
I dont kno if it will kill it, but it will go undetected in ur system. But just cus its undetected doesnt mean u dont have it, that it wont come back and it doesnt mean that while its undetected u cant spread it cus u can. Its like aids/hiv. Its actually the same treatment they give aids patients. Ribovarin everyday shot of interferon once a week for 6 months to a year. Mines gone undetected, my brother in law is undetected but my husband and his nephew still come up positive.
U can live with it. If you keep healthy no drugs, excersise eat right. Ull be ok. Just take care of urself, be smart. U can even have babies that wont be infected, i did. I have hep c transmitted through sex and found out during. Y pregnancy and my son is fine.
Just be smart about it
Old 07-31-2012, 10:14 PM
Forever reaching

My hubby has had hep c for the entire 8 years we've been together. We have children and I get tested every year and do not have it. It CAN be transmitted by having sex but ONLY through blood to blood direct contact. For example If you have a bleeding cut in your genital area or bleeding herpe sore and the person that youre having sex with also has a bleeding cut in their genital area or a bleeding herpe sore it can be transmitted. But both your cuts and/or sores have to bleed TOGETHER

"Never look down on anybody unless you're helping them up."
-The Reverend Jesse Jackson

@~~{~~~~~
Old 08-03-2012, 10:27 PM
Banned

I dont know of any cuts on his half, but i know he had been using drugs and when we where havin sex it was pretty rough and i had some tearing. Neither of us has herpes or warts or any std. But who knows, he works w his hands doing construction and im a hair dresser, both of us have cuts on our hands all the time so maybe it was that. He got it from sharing a dirty needle, i have never done any drugs other than smoke a joint every now and then before i had kids and now i have a few beers by the pool on the weekends. However i caught it, i know it cant be cured but you can be ok.
Old 08-03-2012, 10:31 PM
Banned

And ive done alot of research since ive been infected. And yes, you can catch it sexually. Especially when someone is newly infected, if your having rough sex or having sex on your period.
Chances are higher if you have multiple partners, which is not my case its just been me and chad since, well, like 8 years.
Old 08-04-2012, 12:48 AM
Forever reaching

Quote:
I dont know of any cuts on his half, but i know he had been using drugs and when we where havin sex it was pretty rough and i had some tearing. Neither of us has herpes or warts or any std. But who knows, he works w his hands doing construction and im a hair dresser, both of us have cuts on our hands all the time so maybe it was that. He got it from sharing a dirty needle, i have never done any drugs other than smoke a joint every now and then before i had kids and now i have a few beers by the pool on the weekends. However i caught it, i know it cant be cured but you can be ok.
If you have a cat/kitten and the cat scratches him and then you it can be passed. I think it can stay on surfaces (cat nails) or even each others nail- for 3-4 days

@~~{~~~~~
Old 08-04-2012, 12:49 AM
Forever reaching

Quote:
And ive done alot of research since ive been infected. And yes, you can catch it sexually. Especially when someone is newly infected, if your having rough sex or having sex on your period.
Chances are higher if you have multiple partners, which is not my case its just been me and chad since, well, like 8 years.
If the woman had hep c only and she had sex with a man how would her period blood get into his blood?

@~~{~~~~~
Old 08-04-2012, 10:29 AM
Banned

Thats what im saying. Its not only blood. Ive been doin research and the center for disease control released an article sayin it CAN BE SPREAD SEXUALLY. U dont need to be bleeding. While the chances r small the possibility is there. Do some research talk to ur docs. Even my doc at massachusetts general in boston said he has multiple patients who have contracted
Old 08-04-2012, 10:40 AM
Banned

Hep c through sexual interaction. All im tryin to say is be careful. Im not tryin to preach to anyone or prove a point im just puttin my story out there so people are aware of what can happen. It happened to me. It can happen and even tho people are thinkin it cant, it can