Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Federal General Prison Talk This forum is for general topics & discussions relating to the U.S. Federal Prison System. If there is no other category available, please use this one.

Old 01-02-2005, 10:06 PM

Default Any legal info. at visiting will help...FDC Sheridan--help!

My man's at FDC Sheridan. He is currently in the detention center part because he got a p.v. and was sentenced to 6mos. Please be patient, I am new at this, but, because he's in the detention side, (whatever that means) he's been told the only visitors he can see is immediate family or a spouse. Can they do that? In the BOP rules and regs. it states "friends or family" as long as approved. Does anyone know what the law is on this? Or, does anyone know who I need to contact at the prison? Anyone else ever had this problem?
Sponsored Links
Old 01-02-2005, 10:42 PM
Yooper Mod on Leave
Donation Award 

Hi and welcome to PTO! I moved your post to the federal forum as the folks here should be able to answer your questions... Good luck!

Deb

September 10th 2009
Old 01-03-2005, 04:30 AM
~Washington JustGirls~

As far as I know if they are in the detention center it has to be immediate family to visit.. I had a friend in Seatac FDC and it was that way for him... HOpefully there is some way around that - someone else here might know the info. on that, unfortunately I don't.. I just know that we had the same issue and I wasn't allowed to visit him at all there....
Old 01-03-2005, 01:02 PM

that sucks!!! thank you for the reply though... ANYONE know of a way @ this issue??? Help!!
Old 01-03-2005, 04:52 PM
Donation Award 

Thanked 7,937 Times in 4,395 Posts

Common rule at BOP detention centers. Don't know of anyway around it. Sorry! Is he going to spend the entire six months in the detention center? Zelda
Old 01-03-2005, 08:16 PM

Yep- the entire 6 mos. Thanks for the reply!
Come on- there's gotta be a loophole somewhere - hasn't ANYONE found it??
Old 01-04-2005, 03:39 PM
hiswoman

Well I'm going through that same thing right now my man has been at FDC SeaTac since September and I haven't been able to visit but our sons have gone up with his sister a couple times thank goodnesshe at least got to visit. But I know he is going for sentencing this month and hopefully will be transferred soon to somewhere that will allow me to come.But I think he has other charges pending in county will that hold him up?

Oh yeah maybe you could ask for a special visiting priveledge from the warden. My man writes him all the time begging him to just let me come once in a supervised visit. I don't understand why they don't at least have "Behind -the -glass" visiting for non-family visits. Of course they don't want to make things any easier for the inmates. It really sucks!
Old 01-04-2005, 09:17 PM

Thanks for the reply! I called the detention center today & asked to speak to the warden- per advice from a nice lady here- unfrotunately, i got an answering machiene.. hang in there ok? You might want to check the Federal Bureau of Prisons program statement. I am curently trying to find a loophole there..

Quote:
Originally Posted by divinelove
Well I'm going through that same thing right now my man has been at FDC SeaTac since September and I haven't been able to visit but our sons have gone up with his sister a couple times thank goodnesshe at least got to visit. But I know he is going for sentencing this month and hopefully will be transferred soon to somewhere that will allow me to come.But I think he has other charges pending in county will that hold him up?

Oh yeah maybe you could ask for a special visiting priveledge from the warden. My man writes him all the time begging him to just let me come once in a supervised visit. I don't understand why they don't at least have "Behind -the -glass" visiting for non-family visits. Of course they don't want to make things any easier for the inmates. It really sucks!
Old 01-12-2005, 03:37 PM

Well I too am going through the same thing with the man I love. He is in FDC Brooklyn and has been so for over a little over a year now. I have not been able to visit him because of that immediate family rule and it is killing me. I miss him so bad as I am sure all of you can relate to. He was already sentenced and a while ago and he is still there. He will be out in 2006 and is not sure if they will be moving him at all due to the lenghth of time remaining on his sentence. He said he is going to look into getting me on the list. Wish us luck or if anyone has any advice let me know.
Old 01-14-2005, 05:33 AM

my brother is in sheridan fdc.does any one know where on the net i can find federal visiting forms.cuz i can't find mine and i need to get them sent out so i can go see him
Old 01-14-2005, 12:14 PM
~Washington JustGirls~

I think you have to have him send you one.. I don't believe they are anywhere on here... Good luck!
Old 04-26-2012, 07:38 PM

Default Heading there tomorrow

I was in the same boat as all of you. My daughters dad is at FDC SeaTac and I was not approved for visitation because we were not married. But our daughter was.. How is a 3yr old supposed to visit by their self? .. Dumb. Anyhow, he finally got sentenced after being there for 7 months. Today his mom received my 'ok' to go visit. So I am heading up there tomorrow morning. I am under the impression that as long as they have been sentenced, friends can also visit.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM
Liberty Tree

I wish you the best - but there is no loophole. It is totally within the descretion of the BOP to establish and manage their visiting rules/regulation.

Sorry-

Now any warden can make exceptions - if they so choose. But if they choose to do so, then they open up that proverbial can of worms. And few (very few if any) will do so. Once it is done for one then it has to done for all. Now I know from your perspective that would be ok with you, in fact you probably have all very good (legitimate) reasons to justify why you should be allowed to visit - but from a prison management side of things it is just not that simple. And when it is a choice between prison management and things outside of a prison - then the prison will almost always win.

Again .... sorry
GG
Old 04-26-2012, 10:46 PM
Donation Award 

@Seezo. Once an inmate is sentenced and designated to a detention center, it opens up the visiting list to more than just immediate family. But pre-trial, only immediate family is allowed to visit, if approved.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 AM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 685 Posts

The forms are on the bop site. Go to forms and search there. Good luck.
Old 04-27-2012, 09:52 PM
Donation Award 

But if you use a form from online, you have to know what counselor to send it to...
The Following User Says Thank You to Zelda50 For This Useful Post:
amazggrace (04-27-2012)
Old 04-27-2012, 10:49 PM
Donation Award 

Location: Somewhere out there, beneath the clear blue sky (f)
Thanked 1,121 Times in 685 Posts

Great point!
Old 04-28-2012, 02:27 PM

Thanked 1,460 Times in 821 Posts

I'm going through this with my man at FDC SeaTac. Here is the REAL deal there. It does NOT matter if they have been sentenced...you will still not be able to visit unless you are immediate family...UNLESS he is serving his sentence there and then you'll have to wait until he is transferred to a work cadre unit. My man has been at SeaTac for over 8 months. He was sentenced two months ago, has been designated and is waiting to be transferred to his final prison. He has not had a single visitor the entire time he has been there because his family all lives in Europe and we are not married. Without me even asking, his counselor requested a one-time special visit and was denied. Then she tried again last month (again, we did not ask for this!) and it was approved so I was able to see him last Saturday for the first time in 8 months. From what she told me it is VERY rare for a special visit to be granted like that.

Unfortunately the only other way you would be able to visit is if you get permission from the Warden....which I hate to say but is probably not going to happen. Also, be careful that you don't become a pain in the ass by calling and asking everyone and pestering people because it could make things more difficult for him in there. I completely, totally, 100% understand how much you want to see him, but honestly 6 months is not that long and at least you can email and talk on the phone and you know he's coming home to you...my man will be shipped 6,000 miles away when he's done in 7 more months. So remember it could be worse. Unfortunately there are no loopholes. This is prison. I wish I had better news for you. Hang in there!!! And of course you can always hope for a policy change along the way....
Old 04-28-2012, 03:23 PM
Donation Award 

From BOP policy:

17. [VISITS TO INMATES NOT IN REGULAR POPULATION STATUS §540.50
a. Admission and Holdover Status. The Warden may limit to the immediate family of the inmate visits during the admission-orientation period or for holdovers where there is neither a visiting list from a transferring institution nor other verification of proposed visitors.

So - it sounds like those who are in the detention center and not assigned to a work cadre are either pretrial or HOLDOVER and they are using the holdover status as the reason to deny non-immediate family visitation approval.

Once designated to a detention center work cadre, however, non-immediate family members should be able to apply and be approved, barring other security issues.
Old 04-28-2012, 04:30 PM

Hk i am reading this thread i dont understand why some holdover facilities wont allow visits if your not married my man was in fdc philadelphia and we not married no kids together nothing and they let me visit the whole time and he was there 8 momths the rules should be the same all over best of luck to u id try to write the warden
Old 04-28-2012, 06:43 PM
Donation Award 

Some wardens allow things that others don't. But if you push for all to be uniform when some are more liberal than the rules, you end up with it being more restrictive everywhere.
Old 04-29-2012, 12:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by taylorsboo4eva
Hk i am reading this thread i dont understand why some holdover facilities wont allow visits if your not married my man was in fdc philadelphia and we not married no kids together nothing and they let me visit the whole time and he was there 8 momths the rules should be the same all over best of luck to u id try to write the warden
The warden previous to the current one at SeaTac let other people visit inmate of they were pretrial/presentencing /holdovers. But when the new Warden came along she decided to make everything strictly by the book and does not allow anyone except immediate family....not even grandparents can visit unless they can show they raised the inmate as a child or they are dying. Nice. It's just the way it is for now. I'm crossing my fingers for a policy change....
Old 04-29-2012, 12:45 PM
Donation Award 

What you're going to get at FDC Seatac is a warden change. The warden is leaving to become the warden at FCI Sheridan. I don't know the timeline.
Old 04-29-2012, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zelda50
What you're going to get at FDC Seatac is a warden change. The warden is leaving to become the warden at FCI Sheridan. I don't know the timeline.
Hmmmm....interesting! His counselor said something about a possible policy change and that she would know more on Monday (tomorrow). Keeping my fingers crossed that good news is coming soon. Thanks for the info...I didn't know about that.