Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > FOR "OFFENDERS" > Employment
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Employment Finding post-incarceration employment can be an almost monumental task. Find tips, job offers and stories from those of us that have experienced it first hand.

Old 09-19-2010, 03:49 PM

Default Is there a nationwide organization to get felons jobs?

Its been 3 months, no one will hire me, I was fired from a restaurant because my memory is all f*cked up. I don't know what to do, I applied to at least a 100 places online, all super stores, supermarkets, Life Sucks when you suck!
Sponsored Links
Old 09-19-2010, 03:54 PM
El Amor Nunca Falla
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,072 Times in 652 Posts

I don't know of one, but a lot of felons in my state are able to get trade/union/construction jobs.

I don't think its just you and your record. Its hard for everyone to find a job right now! Just keep your head up and keep trying. Also, I have never had luck with applying at chains online!
The Following User Says Thank You to scd123 For This Useful Post:
David Burton (01-30-2012)
Old 09-19-2010, 03:59 PM

In person is always better. Try the warehouses to.
Old 09-19-2010, 04:02 PM

Yes this economy is leaving alot of people w/o jobs. And I am sure it is especially hard for felons. You just have to keep plugging along I am sure someone will take the chance and then you need to show them you were worth the chance. Good Luck in your endeavors and stay strong.
Old 11-02-2010, 01:50 PM

http://www.hirenetwork.org/resource.html
The Following User Says Thank You to SaritaLovesLuis For This Useful Post:
QPunky7408 (11-08-2010)
Old 01-29-2012, 11:06 AM
Banned

Default Hire Network

For whatever reason, this failed attempt of caring about felons by putting a website together of Pardon and Parole offices (aka H.I.R.E. network) keeps getting mentioned, but I do not find this site to be helpful at all. If you go look at it and somehow it helps you, great.
Old 01-30-2012, 01:39 PM

Default I'm going thru the same thing in Gainesville, Ga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corp900 View Post
Its been 3 months, no one will hire me, I was fired from a restaurant because my memory is all f*cked up. I don't know what to do, I applied to at least a 100 places online, all super stores, supermarkets, Life Sucks when you suck!
I've been out since Oct. 18th of 2011, and every place I look their doing criminal background checks. I was told to go to The Toppstep coordinators Office upon release, and they are not helping at all. Can anybody Help? It don't matter what I did, My time is done and I'm ready to move on with my life.
Old 01-30-2012, 02:42 PM

Quote:
No. But then there's not a nationwide program to get anyone else a job, either.

It's tough out there. College grads aren't getting jobs. College dropouts, high school dropouts, and so on... the less you bring to the table, the less your chances are of getting a job.

Just keep at it, present yourself as positively as you can, and like the rest of us, keep trying.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
montysmom (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 03:11 PM
チェッカー
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,353 Times in 393 Posts

I think you might want to spend some time looking online and even through some of the job related threads in this forum for pointers on overcoming your background on applications and during interviews. Everyone does background checks, but generally not before an interview. On an application you can be honest but note that the reason for your conviction(s) require a verbal explanation.

My employer does background checks on every employee. After I was interviewed they did a background check on me and got to read about my 5 times to prison and 15 felony convictions over a 15 year period. Why did they hire me? Because during the interview I told them everything there was to know about me so I "PASSED" the background check.

I know it is hard. My wife is a college graduate and teacher who has been totally unemployed for going on 10 months now. She's had about a dozen more rejections than I ever had and her background is squeaky clean. She'll get a job eventually, and so will you. Just don't take rejections personal and keep at it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Real Checker For This Useful Post:
montysmom (01-31-2012)
Old 01-30-2012, 04:20 PM

The question is what kind of job you have
Old 01-31-2012, 07:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lack10 View Post
The question is what kind of job you have
I think the answer is, "one that pays money."

The goal is to get "a* job. Then you can start looking for a "better" job.

Once you get a "better" job, you can start looking for either a second job, or a better job.

Nothing is easy, and no one owes any of us the job we want.
The Following User Says Thank You to Straight For This Useful Post:
montysmom (01-31-2012)
Old 01-31-2012, 12:07 PM

Indeed nothing is easy but until the law is changed we will be second class in the great USA
Old 01-31-2012, 12:48 PM
Survivor and Thriver!

Staff Superstar Winner 

Donation Award 

Thanked 7,186 Times in 2,979 Posts

try collection agencies.

When I was lost--I found PTO. Thank you everyone.

"Pay it forward."
Old 01-31-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lack10 View Post
Indeed nothing is easy but until the law is changed we will be second class in the great USA
I certainly understand the frustration, but I'm not sure what law can be changed to change who gets hired.

It's a tough job market and we all have to work hard to get one and do all we can to be prepared for that competetion.
Old 01-31-2012, 02:20 PM

There was a list somewhere I know bowing hires felons I think they get kickbacks, and landscaping companies do, lead men make decent money
Old 01-31-2012, 04:15 PM

Thanked 1,238 Times in 672 Posts

Let me just say that any job is better than no job.
There are men coming home from the military that cannot find jobs, my grandson graduated from Texas State last year and he is working in a machine shop with kids that did not graduate high school. You do what you have to do until something better comes along,giving up should not be an option.
Old 04-28-2012, 08:23 AM
Account Closed

Default Jr2017

Quote:
Originally Posted by Real Checker View Post
I think you might want to spend some time looking online and even through some of the job related threads in this forum for pointers on overcoming your background on applications and during interviews. Everyone does background checks, but generally not before an interview. On an application you can be honest but note that the reason for your conviction(s) require a verbal explanation.

My employer does background checks on every employee. After I was interviewed they did a background check on me and got to read about my 5 times to prison and 15 felony convictions over a 15 year period. Why did they hire me? Because during the interview I told them everything there was to know about me so I "PASSED" the background check.

I know it is hard. My wife is a college graduate and teacher who has been totally unemployed for going on 10 months now. She's had about a dozen more rejections than I ever had and her background is squeaky clean. She'll get a job eventually, and so will you. Just don't take rejections personal and keep at it.
I like to clarify this , Most Employer's are not the same as where you landed your job. I have been through many of companies telling the truth No matter what, Not a one from this day forward would give me a chance as pose to thousand's out there in the same situations. I have been out since 2004, From this day there is not one Legal company that will give me the Opportunity to be placed within Their Establishment. Many of us NO Matter how Honest and Truthful we are , ( It doesn't work in the same Favor as you ). Yes take Rejection Personally , After serving time your still doing time , As for myself I have no patients ready to lose all i have gained not having the resource's to my bills , As for other's yes it works. We all don't have that pattern of Luck .
Old 04-28-2012, 07:02 PM

Quote:
Here is one possible resource http://www.xamire.com/

keep trying and don't give up
Old 04-28-2012, 07:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JR2017 View Post
I like to clarify this , Most Employer's are not the same as where you landed your job. I have been through many of companies telling the truth No matter what, Not a one from this day forward would give me a chance as pose to thousand's out there in the same situations. I have been out since 2004, From this day there is not one Legal company that will give me the Opportunity to be placed within Their Establishment. Many of us NO Matter how Honest and Truthful we are , ( It doesn't work in the same Favor as you ). Yes take Rejection Personally , After serving time your still doing time , As for myself I have no patients ready to lose all i have gained not having the resource's to my bills , As for other's yes it works. We all don't have that pattern of Luck .
Sorry, but I don't think it is luck..............it is called perseverence