Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > AROUND THE WORLD > SOUTH and CENTRAL AMERICA, CARIBBEAN PRISON FORUMS
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

SOUTH and CENTRAL AMERICA, CARIBBEAN PRISON FORUMS Discussions and Information about South and Central American and Caribbean Prisons, Jails, the Criminal Justice System, etc.

Old 06-02-2006, 01:26 PM

Unhappy Americans in Colombian prisons

I am the mother of one.Her boyfriend is also with her.They have been in there a year.The Foreign prisoner support site is very good,but it originates from Australia .They have no prisoners in Colombia and there country does alot to help thier own.
Over this past year I have been thru hell and back.A book and movie need to be created.The US does little for its citizens.When you leave our soil,you are on your own,even if another country assumes you did aomething wrong! Americans need to know that our gov't will not intervene.I have a story to tell,but since I cannot reveal any more info,it will have to wait.This is a dangerous situation.
I chose this site for emotional support.
I need it badly.Is there anyone out there who knows what its like to deal with another country/system/laws?
Sponsored Links
Old 06-02-2006, 02:17 PM

Americans travelling in other countries are subject to the laws of those countries. Being an American doesn't give us any latitude in our behavior. It's not a question of our government simply choosing to do nothing. We have no say in the legal system of other countries, just as someone here who commits a crime here cannot be sprirted away by their own country. Other countries do not relax their laws just because someone is an American or hand America back those that commit crimes in their country.

It has always been this way, and it works the same way for foreign visitors to the US. You are subject to the laws of the country you are in. It's up to the traveller to familiarize themselves with the laws of the countries they will be in.

This got a lot of attention in a 70's movie, Midnight Express. It's based on real events that happened to Billy Hayes, a kid trying to smuggle hash out of Turkey.

The best option might be to work with the American Embassy in Bogota, Columbia.

http://bogota.usembassy.gov/wwwsmane.shtml

As bad as some people think the US might be on crime, it's a very harsh world beyond our borders. I'm sorry you're going through this. I hope it all works out for you and them.

Last edited by jameslo; 06-02-2006 at 02:19 PM..
Old 06-02-2006, 03:24 PM

Here's another site that might be able to assist...

ASSISTANCE TO U.S. CITIZENS ARRESTED ABROAD

DISCLAIMER: THE FOLLOWING IS A SUMMARY OF SERVICES PROVIDED TO U.S. CITIZENS ARRESTED ABROAD BY U.S. CONSULAR OFFICERS. SINCE CONDITIONS VARY FROM COUNTRY TO COUNTRY, THE PRECISE NATURE OF SERVICES MAY VARY LIKEWISE, DEPENDING ON INDIVIDUAL CIRCUMSTANCES IN A PARTICULAR CASE.

http://travel.state.gov/travel/tips/...cies_1199.html
Old 06-02-2006, 03:53 PM
In a good place!
Donation Award 

Welcome to PTO! You'll receive lots of advice, support and information here. Glad that youve found us and decided to join.

I am sorry to hear that you are going through this. We are all here to support you.
Old 06-05-2006, 11:12 AM

Default Been there done that and it is all WRONG!!!!!!

Everything you wrote is obsolete.Been there/done that a year ago.What I have been able to uncover,is that ohter countries do help their own citizens.America does not.The Latn American gulags do not supply tampons or toilet paper,a matress or decent medical care.I am an Air Force Veteran,third generation.My son was in 911.The fact that I am a
taxpayer supporting Colombian incarcerated in American jails,makes me sick! Those Colombians are getting 3 meals and a cot,plus all the amentiees/services they need.My daughter is getting worms,lice and has to live with paramilitaries who have grenades in there.She had a trial without an interperter.She was physically abused in detention.There were no Miranda rights.When an AK 47 is pointed at you,then you sign anything in a language you do not know.You plead guilty(even if you are not) cause you will NOT get a fair trial and this way you can get time off your sentence.Shall I go on? You mean to tell me that my own govenment cannot afford toilet paper and other ammenities for 6 citizens in there? I have been thru congressmen and even higher up.Know what they told me after the usual attempts at empathy?Its not in the BUDGET! Why?Cause American society views everyone incarccerated as low lifes who deserve to suffer.A Colombian in an American jail lives BETTER than if he were free in his own country! A drug trafficker gets 40 years in jail .A murderer 3 years.It is NOT illegal to use drugs in Colombia,only when you attempt to get it out.Everyone from A-Z is involved in the billion dollar drug trade.Read Narconews about the corruption and ties with the US in the trade.Anyhow,you do NOT have the right to remain silent.You will not be given stamps to send mail to your family.A plate of pig intestines,1/2 cooked meat and some rice is the menu for today and.....forever.You say you are innocent? Too bad...tough luck...no mitigating factors for you.You signed you were guilty.Its YOUR fault you do not know Spanish! That package you got from home?It will cost you 20 bucks,which I will split with the prison commander......"Midnight Express'"? More like Colombian Expresso!!!!. This will all be exposed oneday on Dateline or LArry King.
She has a story to tell.Bush can give billions to Uribe to fight the drug trade there,but my daughter can't get toilet paper!
Old 06-05-2006, 12:02 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Thanked 2,385 Times in 1,088 Posts

I am going to try this again. I just posted and it went to the Twilight Zone somewhere not on this thread!

When I was in prison my roommate was British and I hold dual German/american citizenship. Though as far as I am concerned after my conviction, I hold only German, but that is besides the point.

Both our respective governments checked on our wellbeing in one form or another monthly, and if we had a complaint, they were all over the prison authorities.

The U.S. is notorious for leaving it's citizens out on the hook so to speak even under your daughter's situation. Which happens even in this country, believe it or not (as far as how some confessions are gotten).

But anyway, and I cannot remember the name of the treaty and I am not sure if Columbia is even a signatory. But, both Liz (my roomy) and I had applied to be transferred to our home countries under this treaty to finish our time. Mine was dicy because of the dual citizenship, but Liz may yet get it.

A fellow PTO member Bellisq suggested this man in another thread, she apparently knows him personally, I know his reputation only, otherwise I would not recommend him.

"Ted (Theodore) Simons in PHiladelphia PA" I pulled his name from Bellisq thread.

Anyways, I noticed that you said you are an Air Force Veteran, I am a Coast Guard Veteran, you and I know what you have to do to survive or win in a situation, this is the same way. You have treat it the same way we did in the desert or in my case the Persian Gulf.

Stay strong, and be there for your daughter. Most importantly stay cold and hard and do what you have to do (legally) to get her home.

Patti
Old 06-05-2006, 12:06 PM
Boss

I just wanted to say welcome to PTO. We've got some good people here that will hopefully be able to support you and provide direction. How much time did your daughter and son-in-law recieve?
Old 06-05-2006, 12:30 PM

Yes - prisons in other countries are very harsh. Very. They don't enjoy the rights we Americans have, such as the Miranda rights you mentioned. That's a USA thing. It's not the way all countries operate.

The reality, though, in a lot of countries, supplies sent to prisoners would not make it to the prisoner they were intended to reach.

Other than hand delivering the supplies to the prisoner, which isn't likely to happen, there's not a world of options left. The US has no authority over the legal systems of other countries.

The US Embassy in that country would be the best place to start.

It's not realistic to expect, though, that the Columbian government is going to hand their prisoners over. The US doesn't do that, either, but granted, the conditions in our prisons are very nice in comparison.

But it's no secret that messing with drugs in a 3rd world country is a fast trip to hell. When you're in their country, you're under their rules and being an American won't help. And if they don't like Americans, you're that much worse off.

But that still doesn't give the US any authority in other country's legal systems.

Please give the Embassy a try.
Old 06-05-2006, 02:26 PM
Crazy Cajun Super Moderator

PTOQ Editorial Team Member PTO Super Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 12,477 Times in 5,179 Posts

My God! I can' t believe that horror that you and your daughter must be living through. I wish I had information to give you, but unfortunately I don't. I will keep you and your daughter and her boyfriend in my prayers.

Introducing PTO Quarterly - Summer 2014 Issue Read All About it Right Here!!

The Following User Says Thank You to LifeTraveler For This Useful Post:
2muchmisery4me (05-20-2014)
Old 06-05-2006, 03:47 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

James,

How much International Law do you know, or the treaties that the U.S. has signed?

I admit I know very little myself, and most of what I know was in Maritime Law when I was in a Coast Guard Legal Office.

However, there is such a thing as a Transfer Treaty, (the exact name escapes me) and it works much the same as the Interstate compact that allows inmates to either transfer their incarceration or probation to their home states. Now a lot depends on the states involved as will in this case will depend a lot on the countries involved. So, it is not a matter of one country "just handing over their prisoners" if Columbia is a signatory of this treaty it is still not that simple, but there are treatorial mechanisms to get foreign nationals home to their own countries prisons to do their time, which in this case would be far better than where she is.

I don't know if Columbia is a signatory of this treaty, Germany my home country is, and so is Britain. So between two nations such as these a transfer is relatively easy as International Law goes. It takes time and you have a lot of hoops to jump through so to speak but it can be done.

Now, as I told Miamio above she needs to contact a U.S. attorney specializing in both Criminal and International Law, and possibly eventually a Columbian attorney it is going being a expensive, however, if things click she will not be relieved of her prison sentence, however, she may be able to do it in an american prison.

I was trying very hard to do my time in a German prison - which is far an above better conditions than in the u.s. prisons. Same for Liz for the same reasons. If I had not had a sentence reduction, so to speak, I would have eventually been transferred. By the way it was not Germany that was holding me up, I had been accepted it was the wonderful folks here!

Oh, and as to u.s. not having the right to interfere in the legal affairs of other nations, your right - it does not, but they do all the time, more so than other nations do in u.s. legal affairs. I am not saying this to instigate, it is just simply a fact, learned the hard way in that Legal Office.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:53 PM
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FriscoLady
But anyway, and I cannot remember the name of the treaty and I am not sure if Columbia is even a signatory.
Patti
Patti- were you referring to the International Prisoner Transfer Treaty? The US does not apparently have a bilateral transfer treaty with Columbia (for more info. see Transfer Treaty).

miamio-I am really sorry to hear about all of this - I can only suggest you make this as high profile as you can with petitions, contacting newspapers etc and as FriscoLady said, get a very competent lawyer who knows about international laws.
Old 06-05-2006, 03:57 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by DLM
Patti- were you referring to the International Prisoner Transfer Treaty? The US does not apparently have a bilateral transfer treaty with Columbia (for more info. see Transfer Treaty).

miamio-I am really sorry to hear about all of this - I can only suggest you make this as high profile as you can with petitions, contacting newspapers etc and as FriscoLady said, get a very competent lawyer who knows about international laws.
Thank You! That is the one!

miamio, I am sorry that Columbia is not a signatory to this treaty, it will be harder still, but not undoable.

Stay strong,

Patti
Old 06-05-2006, 03:59 PM

Patti, I know a little about international issues, and I know a little about other governments. The treaty link DLM posted is from the web page I mentioned in my second post. That wasn't just a lucky guess on my part
Old 06-05-2006, 04:19 PM
Account Closed
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jameslo
Patti, I know a little about international issues, and I know a little about other governments. The treaty link DLM posted is from the web page I mentioned in my second post. That wasn't just a lucky guess on my part
Ok so I did not have my glasses on! All joking aside, I am glad you did post that. We may have our disagreements here, but we - you and I have accomplished PTOs purpose: Support and help.

miamio,

James' point about contacting the embassy - that I would do - and I would contact an atty versed in International Law. They know and can work the systems - we may just muck it up.

Patti
Old 06-06-2006, 09:01 AM

Default Spies behind the pillars

Thankyou everyone.
Just to let you know,I have accessed every conceivable contact all over the world,including CNN,Larry King and others.This is a story of lies,betrayal and deceit.We have the opportunity to go public once they are released.I have been in contact with ex CIA security agents to very dangerous people.I cannot give info on here or tell the story of 2 innocent people who were set up.Check out Foreign prisoner support site,run by Kay Danes,who has become my friend.Read her story.People assume veryone arrested are guilty and or low lifes,deserving of horrible conditions.Colombia does not have a transfer treaty.My 2 would have felonies over theior heads if they were here.Colombia does not have that.During last weeks elections,my daughter told me that rocket launchers and thousand of troops were surronding her boyfriends' prison.There are very dangerous paramilitaries in there.They were moving prisoners out in the nite to remote jungle prisons ,due top severe overcrowding.I told the Embassy who immeadiatelty had a meeting.Yes this is all unreal.Its a novel and a movie.The corruption of the society and gov't is unreal.A dollar buys you anything you need.People profit off the suffering of others.I am well aware of American Citizen Services.They provide minor checking up,vitamins and try to make sure no one is being tortured.Right now,as we speak,there are things going on behind the scenes.Unfortunatley I cannot have faith,due to all that has happened.I cannot tell the whole story,until the criminals are caught and mine are free.Read about the American in Bolivia who blew up the hotel.I was in touch with his mother thru the Foreign prisoner site before he did it.She never told me he was insane.I told her about my situation and had several e mails with her.His name is Lestat Montevideo.This fellow almost caused Chavez to blame it on America!There are many Americans imprisoned all over the world.A film maker from Canada is going to do a documentary and I have expressed interest.Conditions in prisons all over the world are much worse than ours.I am outraged that our gov't does not do more for our people.Its all about $$$$$$$ budgets and "Prisoners are not that important".I ask myself why did I serve this country? They are not helping me! The American public needs to know.They will when the time is right
Old 06-06-2006, 05:55 PM

I forgot to ask.What does a prisoner in a federal prison in the US get? Besides 3 hots and a cot?I am trying to make a point about human rights and civility.This experience made me think of Guantanamo and abu Gharib.Is there a money stipend?One reads about libraries,Gyms,social services,etc.My daughter has no hot water and if you knew how prisoners receive medical care you would cringe!Gloves?Hand washing?
No way! How about being given a used cup of water to swallow a pill? I figure it this way:if my taxes are providing needs for prisoners here,why can't the gov't also provide for Americans in other places?I do not see the difference.Colombia is surely not providing anything but slop that causes parasites.Thousands sleep on the bare floor.One has to buy a matress and soap.When I heard these things,I was in a state of shock.Now I know what the term"gulag" means!My beautifulk daughter was hit on the head for 24 hours while in detention,nor given any food or water in detention.She was 3 days post op with sutures.She is not a criminal,nor did she do anything to anyone.Her only crime was to trust a life long friend.,She lost her car,her home and her young child.All of us were robbed by unscrupuous people both here and there who pretended to help.The true criminals are known and waiting to be caught.I have gone undercover myself.Her boyfriend is in the worse gulag in South America.Its a good thing he is a big guy.Colombians are little.
He has been very ill there,probably has TB by now.They got 10 years 8 months.Originally 30 years.You can work off your sentence there.There is nothing known as a felony.Because she gave info to(u know who)we are hoping she will get a reduction.This is a sheer nightmare.Why?Cause they are innocent without the ability to prove it,have support there
There is a 40 year war going on there.No one cares about them.I have travelled in my life and lived overseas.I have never ever met such unscrupulous,corrupt and indifferent people in my life! Its all about money,not caring.I am sure there must be some caring people.We have had very bad times with the worse.From lawyers to doctors to commanders.
I will end this here as it is a year anniversary and I haven't the energy.The child is doing just fine.We are not.We grieve.
It is too dangerous for Americans to go there.Kidnap capital.
I would be too angry and get myself in trouble there.Will this nightmare ever end? The latest behind the scene things gives a ray of hope,not much.Please ! No one suggest anything of this gov't to me! Have been pro active and done it all.My congressman,cuts and pastes.He then leaks stuff out to the press to make it look like he is doing something!Its all BS!!!!!
I am sorry that I served my gov't.Paybacks are a ....!!!!
Old 06-26-2006, 11:55 AM

Hello, I do remember speaking with you on the phone. yes we are in somewhat similar situations. I would appreciate it however if you would not write about my son. We are as in much pain as you are. I didn't think that I needed to tell you about my sons mental health, it is not as if we knew each other. and it doesn't sound like it would have made a difference to you anyway. Most people to not have much compassion for the mentally ill. It is a difficult thing to speak about with strangers. Please keep in mind that my son has not gone to trial, there fore has not been declared guilty, please give him the same courtesy that you would want for your daughter. As for other governmental blaming the US for what has happened in Bolivia. Our governments have been on shaky ground for some time now. I am sure that they are aware of the true situation. I am sorry if you feel this adversely affects your family. I am very sorry for what you are going through and I hope you find some peace. But please in the future please try to have some empathy for us and keep our family out of it.
Old 06-26-2006, 05:55 PM

Well said Dawna. This is an emotional journey for both families and will not serve any useful purpose to add more pain to the suffering.

I think the best thing to do is try to remain as calm as possible and try to find solutions. people in this forum often give help and it is wonderful that they take the time to do that. We all know that there are no easy answers and often the support we want isn't there as we would want. But working together can help both emotionally and in other ways.

I'm sorry for all the families that are suffering like these two Mom's are suffering.
Old 11-17-2009, 09:43 PM

Default Sorry for your loss

I am so sorry for your loss. I actually have a friend who is in a colombian prison. She is also with her boyfriend. We could be talking about the same person. I am also from PA. I now have no contact wiht my friend and I can not imagine what she is going through. I send her pictures and letters but I do not know where she is anymore. I was told that she is getting out soon but I have no idea. I think that it is horrible the amount of money that we give to other countries but when it comes to helping our own, the government just turns there back on them. My friend has a daughter that her parents are now taking care of. I am not sure what else to say to you but I am sorry.
Old 11-19-2009, 01:32 AM

I'm really sorry about your ordeal. Have you tried appealing to the Columbian Embassy in D.C.? Have you visited your daughter in prison? I know you are hurting and I know that right now you are tremendously upset but do not categorize all Columbians like you have been doing. It does not help matters any.

I know this might be hard but if you are truly trying to get your daughter's release you might need to approach this in constructive and smart way. I don't mean that in a bad way. I mean learn the culture of the Columbians, get sympathy from organizations in Columbia, etc. Sometimes our emotions get the best of us and we tend to be hysterical in our manners in trying to solve a problem. Maricopa County jails in Arizona (under Arpaio) are worse than you can imagine and probably just as bad as Columbian prisons.

Write a plea to the Columbian Embassy but do it in a respectful way and please try not to belitte the Columbians while you are doing it. It will just make matters worse for you.

Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by miamio View Post
I forgot to ask.What does a prisoner in a federal prison in the US get? Besides 3 hots and a cot?I am trying to make a point about human rights and civility.This experience made me think of Guantanamo and abu Gharib.Is there a money stipend?One reads about libraries,Gyms,social services,etc.My daughter has no hot water and if you knew how prisoners receive medical care you would cringe!Gloves?Hand washing?
No way! How about being given a used cup of water to swallow a pill? I figure it this way:if my taxes are providing needs for prisoners here,why can't the gov't also provide for Americans in other places?I do not see the difference.Colombia is surely not providing anything but slop that causes parasites.Thousands sleep on the bare floor.One has to buy a matress and soap.When I heard these things,I was in a state of shock.Now I know what the term"gulag" means!My beautifulk daughter was hit on the head for 24 hours while in detention,nor given any food or water in detention.She was 3 days post op with sutures.She is not a criminal,nor did she do anything to anyone.Her only crime was to trust a life long friend.,She lost her car,her home and her young child.All of us were robbed by unscrupuous people both here and there who pretended to help.The true criminals are known and waiting to be caught.I have gone undercover myself.Her boyfriend is in the worse gulag in South America.Its a good thing he is a big guy.Colombians are little.
He has been very ill there,probably has TB by now.They got 10 years 8 months.Originally 30 years.You can work off your sentence there.There is nothing known as a felony.Because she gave info to(u know who)we are hoping she will get a reduction.This is a sheer nightmare.Why?Cause they are innocent without the ability to prove it,have support there
There is a 40 year war going on there.No one cares about them.I have travelled in my life and lived overseas.I have never ever met such unscrupulous,corrupt and indifferent people in my life! Its all about money,not caring.I am sure there must be some caring people.We have had very bad times with the worse.From lawyers to doctors to commanders.
I will end this here as it is a year anniversary and I haven't the energy.The child is doing just fine.We are not.We grieve.
I would be too angry and get myself in trouble there.Will this nightmare ever end? The latest behind the scene things gives a ray of hope,not much.Please ! No one suggest anything of this gov't to me! Have been pro active and done it all.My congressman,cuts and pastes.He then leaks stuff out to the press to make it look like he is doing something!Its all BS!!!!!
Old 06-28-2010, 12:06 PM
Helping friend

Smile

Quote:
I am the mother of one.Her boyfriend is also with her.They have been in there a year.The Foreign prisoner support site is very good,but it originates from Australia .They have no prisoners in Colombia and there country does alot to help thier own.
Over this past year I have been thru hell and back.A book and movie need to be created.The US does little for its citizens.When you leave our soil,you are on your own,even if another country assumes you did aomething wrong! Americans need to know that our gov't will not intervene.I have a story to tell,but since I cannot reveal any more info,it will have to wait.This is a dangerous situation.
I chose this site for emotional support.
I need it badly.Is there anyone out there who knows what its like to deal with another country/system/laws?
Dear Lady: We will be glad to help you. Please contact us at the Facebook group "Imprisoned Americans in Colombia Helping Team" or write to removed per PTO policy - please PM member for info.

Last edited by Keltria; 06-28-2010 at 02:07 PM.. Reason: missing word
Old 06-28-2010, 12:08 PM
Helping friend

Contact Imprisoned Americans in Colombia Helping Hand Team or contact Mr. Alfonso Lemmon at removed per PTO policy. Please pm member for Info.

God bless you

Last edited by Keltria; 06-28-2010 at 02:08 PM.. Reason: missing word
Old 06-28-2010, 12:13 PM
Helping friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by nb8168 View Post
I am so sorry for your loss. I actually have a friend who is in a colombian prison. She is also with her boyfriend. We could be talking about the same person. I am also from PA. I now have no contact wiht my friend and I can not imagine what she is going through. I send her pictures and letters but I do not know where she is anymore. I was told that she is getting out soon but I have no idea. I think that it is horrible the amount of money that we give to other countries but when it comes to helping our own, the government just turns there back on them. My friend has a daughter that her parents are now taking care of. I am not sure what else to say to you but I am sorry.
Help to your friend is now available. Please write to the "Imprisoned Americans in Colombia Helping Hand Team" or to removed as per PTO Policy - Please PM member for info to receive assistance.

Last edited by Keltria; 06-28-2010 at 02:10 PM..
Old 04-26-2012, 10:06 AM

I just wanted to give some insight to the people currently on these kind of situations. As a background I am a lawyer on US and I lived on Colombia for over 10 years as my father (an American) fell in love with the country.

A BIG IMPORTNAT NOTE TO ANYONE GOING TO COLOMBIA: IT IS ILLEGAL to use drugs on Colombia in fact engaging on drug business is alrgely looked down upon, in fact more people use drugs on US than on Colombia because it is a social stigma to be a consumer on Colombia. Please if you ever go there DO NOT engage in any kind of drug trafficking or consumption because they DO get very harsh punishments, miamio is completly ignorant of the reality of the country. So NO drugs in Colombia have never been legal there.

Quote:
Everything you wrote is obsolete.Been there/done that a year ago.What I have been able to uncover,is that ohter countries do help their own citizens.America does not.The Latn American gulags do not supply tampons or toilet paper,a matress or decent medical care.I am an Air Force Veteran,third generation.My son was in 911.The fact that I am a
taxpayer supporting Colombian incarcerated in American jails,makes me sick! Those Colombians are getting 3 meals and a cot,plus all the amentiees/services they need.My daughter is getting worms,lice and has to live with paramilitaries who have grenades in there.She had a trial without an interperter.She was physically abused in detention.There were no Miranda rights.When an AK 47 is pointed at you,then you sign anything in a language you do not know.You plead guilty(even if you are not) cause you will NOT get a fair trial and this way you can get time off your sentence.Shall I go on? You mean to tell me that my own govenment cannot afford toilet paper and other ammenities for 6 citizens in there? I have been thru congressmen and even higher up.Know what they told me after the usual attempts at empathy?Its not in the BUDGET! Why?Cause American society views everyone incarccerated as low lifes who deserve to suffer.A Colombian in an American jail lives BETTER than if he were free in his own country! A drug trafficker gets 40 years in jail .A murderer 3 years.It is NOT illegal to use drugs in Colombia,only when you attempt to get it out.Everyone from A-Z is involved in the billion dollar drug trade.Read Narconews about the corruption and ties with the US in the trade.Anyhow,you do NOT have the right to remain silent.You will not be given stamps to send mail to your family.A plate of pig intestines,1/2 cooked meat and some rice is the menu for today and.....forever.You say you are innocent? Too bad...tough luck...no mitigating factors for you.You signed you were guilty.Its YOUR fault you do not know Spanish! That package you got from home?It will cost you 20 bucks,which I will split with the prison commander......"Midnight Express'"? More like Colombian Expresso!!!!. This will all be exposed oneday on Dateline or LArry King.
She has a story to tell.Bush can give billions to Uribe to fight the drug trade there,but my daughter can't get toilet paper!
You support Colombians incarcerated for drug trade because the US goverment requires them to be extradited. Actually, extraditions are very looked down upon on general Colombian society, and prisoners much rather stay on colombian soil.

Your daughter is most not likely living with paramilitary, if someone does not know the history of Colombia they should not talk lightly of it. Paramilitaries are usually not put with general population nor in the same facilities, and they have disbanded since this time and the war is pretty much over . Colombians do get a bed, a meal, and family and volunteers can and do bring food, books, treats, or anything.

No, they are NOT given stamps because this is not the USPS. Colombia does not use the same mail system as the US - mail on Colombia is very reliable, but prisoners can mail letter it is jsut that stamps aer not used to mail.

A BIG IMPORTNAT NOTE TO ANYONE GOING TO COLOMBIA: IT IS ILLEGAL to use drugs on Colombia in fact engaging on drug business is alrgely looked down upon, in fact more people use drugs on US than on Colombia because it is a social stigma to be a consumer on Colombia. Please if you ever go there DO NOT engage in any kind of drug trafficking or anythign because they DO get very harsh punishments, this poster is completly ignorant of the reality of the country.

No you do not have the right to be silent, you have to plead guilty or not, that is it. No one can point a gun to you, if they do it is against your rights and you can even sue the state. Honestly, I do think the poster has been slightly lied to.

You can send packages to prisoners from here, sending mail/packages to Colombia is easy, just check with some Hispanics to where they send gift tot heir families from. Sending a pound is around 3, 4 dollars.

Quote:

No your daughter has not hot water, and so do millions of people on Colombia. Hot water is not something that you will die if you do not have, in fact a lot of people on usually day to day life take cold showers, because it is believed to be healthier. Your daughter has it much better than if she had committed a drug offense on Singapore.

They do get water, I have toured as a legal assistant for an international law firm on Colombia and assisted many Colombian prisoners, and they do get water and meals. Why is your daughter not getting this? Sounds fishy to me.
Colombians are not little, they are usually tall... they do not inject their foods with hormones and have healthier diets as food is very affordable back there. Sack of potatoes of about 8 potatoes can post you .50 cents or less. Which contributes to Colombians to be generally a healthy and higher than average population.

But A dollar wont buy you anything, more than a few dollars may. Also, if you are not getting help try to be polite to Colombians overall and do not shit on their country, they are extremely proud people who have overcome a lot and have a nice bumbling economy now. People are very educated into being polite, and so if you are not polite to them they will reciprocate badly. Most people speak English, getting a lawyer in Bogota that speaks English is very easy. Try to not speak ill of their country while treating with them, as I mentioned the drugs issue is very delicate and looked down upon.

No, Colombia is not kidnap central, and if you treat them like they are some indians, they will get offended and rather not have anything to do with you. Colombia is a modern country (It has very remarkable medicine honestly), that welcomes tourists and is very open to people as long as you are mindful of common laws, and abide tot he law of their country.

I am surprised that you have not gotten response from the Embassy, because I have always had a prompt reasonable response from them. You can also go an visit the Embassy in Bogota and speak to Americans there and explain your situation, and possibly contact you with a lawyer. On my cases they have always been helpful.

I honestly, think the poster has been had with some of these stories. If they are any true the poster should sue the state as she would get a lot of $$.

If anyone ever needs some resource help with foreign prisoners on Colombia, please pm me. I would love to give you information and guidance (free of charge). I am currently on Florida, but own a house on Colombia and travel regularly because of my job.
Old 05-16-2013, 04:13 AM

i also want to say and praying like "LifeTraveler" My God! I can' t believe that horror that you and your daughter must be living through. I wish I had information to give you, but unfortunately I don't. I will keep you and your daughter and her boyfriend in my prayers.