Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM
NoPumpkinsHere NoPumpkinsHere is offline
Nope. No Pumpkins Here At All
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Posts: 1,450
Thanks: 4
Thanked 608 Times in 456 Posts
Default Info on Bipolar?

What do you know about bipolar in mental health? Just curious, I'm looking out for a friend.

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
yourself yourself is offline
attorney
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: ma
Posts: 7,478
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 12,145 Times in 4,448 Posts
Default

There's plenty of information to be found about bipolar online. One of the best resources is the Depression Bipolar Support Alliance. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page...?pagename=home

They have a wealth of information and offer support groups for both patients and their LO.

Other good sources include the Mayo Clinic, Psych Central, and NAMI.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
norbit09 (05-24-2012)
  #3  
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Dalhamersgirl67's Avatar
Dalhamersgirl67 Dalhamersgirl67 is offline
Dalhamersgirl67
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Oviedo Florida
Posts: 26
Thanks: 0
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid
What do you know about bipolar in mental health? Just curious, I'm looking out for a friend.

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
What do you want to know exactly?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
sacesdad sacesdad is offline
sacesdad
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: AZ usa
Posts: 12
Thanks: 7
Thanked 20 Times in 3 Posts
Default

What exactly would you like to know about bipolar disorder as there is bipolar I and bipolar II. Usually the bipolar I people have more mania than depression. Has your friend been diagnosed?
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM
Flagirl1960 Flagirl1960 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Jacksonville, Fl, USA
Posts: 11
Thanks: 5
Thanked 3 Times in 3 Posts
Default i have bipolar

for me,
bipolar 1 since highschool, now 52 yo
medication for mania and depression, basically severe, debilating mood swings was a mood stabilizer, a medication for sleep due to insomnia,
a tranquilizer for anxiety and an anti deppressant to control depression.
took over 15 yrs and 3 rehabs to find the right medication cocktail
broke the law when off my meds, no regrets or regard to consequences of any kind when off meds and/or on meds depending on the degree of my episode. episodes could last months and months sometimes years
every patient is differenct, co morbid dx are common with bipolar dx
alcoholism and drug abuse, ptsd, gad, depression, etc. dbsa is a good website for info , bipolar world, crazy meds is loaded with accurate information about many mental health disorders.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Flagirl1960 For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-12-2012)
  #6  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
InmateLover67's Avatar
InmateLover67 InmateLover67 is offline
Does NOT Sugarcoat
 

Join Date: Jan 2009
Location: Oregon
Posts: 4,075
Thanks: 872
Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,885 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid View Post
What do you know about bipolar in mental health? Just curious, I'm looking out for a friend.

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
Your best bet is to Google Bi-polar disorder...you can find everything you want that way. It basically is a very serious form of depression and if not treated can ruin families and relationships.

Peace~
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM
Nieves915's Avatar
Nieves915 Nieves915 is offline
Member
 

Join Date: Apr 2007
Location: El Paso Texas
Posts: 640
Thanks: 514
Thanked 542 Times in 258 Posts
Default

I have found that bi polar disorder affects people differently. I know that there are a huge number of books that you can look into. Both my ex and my current husband suffer from bi polar, very different, my ex was very abusive towards me, in all ways,,, my current husband is destructive to himself but very gentle with me. Bi polar disorder is a very serious disorder and it can be treated with medication.
__________________













There is not a day or hour that I do not think of being in your arms!
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
yourself yourself is offline
attorney
 

Join Date: May 2010
Location: ma
Posts: 7,478
Thanks: 2,074
Thanked 12,145 Times in 4,448 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nieves915 View Post
I have found that bi polar disorder affects people differently. I know that there are a huge number of books that you can look into. Both my ex and my current husband suffer from bi polar, very different, my ex was very abusive towards me, in all ways,,, my current husband is destructive to himself but very gentle with me. Bi polar disorder is a very serious disorder and it can be treated with medication.
It can be treated a lot of ways. Medication is one way to treat it. The type of bipolar and the severity of the symptoms dictate how necessary medication is. The most severe bipolar disorders are marked by psychosis at both the depressive and manic ends of the spectrum, and that can be very scary for both the bipolar person as well as those around him/her.

Fortunately, it is a very small percentage of people who experience psychosis.

I think one of the most debilitating forms is severe bipolar I, with or without psychosis, where medications don't work. Fortunately, that too, is small percentage.

Medications are expensive and do impact other areas of life, so lots of bipolar patients manage through other forms of therapy including talk therapy, diet, exercise, meditation, and stress reduction.

Mania is difficult to deal with - at the hypomanic stage, a person is full of energy and gets a lot done - they don't want to get out of that stage. Those who go into full mania don't always realize they are fully manic. They don't always appreciate the risk of actions. For some, the rest of the world is just too slow to keep up with the manic person.

Bipolar depression is difficult to treat. Some researchers estimate that it is even more severe than major depressive disorder, but personally, I think that's irrelevant. But, if you can imagine the most down day in your life and magnifying it by 1000, and coupling that with down days seeming to stretch one after the other in an never ending series, you can start to appreciate where they are with it. They don't appreciate how depressed they are lots of the time. It's frustrating and scary in its own way.

Then there are mixed episodes - where you have some of the symptoms of mania and some of the symptoms of depression, and these are just terrible. Think lots of energy but in a terrible mood. Yeah, scary.

There are lots of degrees of both. There's rapid cycling, ultra rapid cycling. There's bipolar I and bipolar II and cyclothemia.

So, two people can have the same diagnosis and experience the condition completely differently. Doesn't mean that one's not suffering just as much as the other, just means that they experience it differently. Similarly, some people need medication, some people can't do medication, and some people can do without medication.

An expert really needs to be involved with the person to help find the best combination of treatments for the whole person, and not just the most expedient one. LOs need to educate themselves about the disorder in general, as well as the disorder as it's expressed in their bipolar LO.
Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
mg113 (07-14-2012), Mrs*Axeslinger (07-23-2012), norbit09 (12-01-2012)
  #9  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
dalesgirl's Avatar
dalesgirl dalesgirl is offline
Registered User
Donation Award 
 

Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Salem Oregon
Posts: 555
Thanks: 251
Thanked 244 Times in 136 Posts
Default

Best book I have read on the subject-- Loving someone with bipolar disorder by Julie Fast. Actually anything by Julie Fast, she is bipolar and writes about it really well.
__________________


Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
Sad_Eyes's Avatar
Sad_Eyes Sad_Eyes is offline
BB ♥'s BB
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: USA
Posts: 735
Thanks: 306
Thanked 192 Times in 149 Posts
Default

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) is a great organization and mental health resource. They offer information, education, facts, support groups, etc...for those who have a friend or loved one with mental illness, Bipolar, depression or have a disorder themselves. Their website is www.nami.org. They have some good short overviews on different types of mental illness. Here is the Bipolar one:

http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigati..._Disorder_.htm

Looks like people are giving you a lot of useful info on here!
__________________




Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Mrs*Axeslinger's Avatar
Mrs*Axeslinger Mrs*Axeslinger is offline
Love Waits....02/05/13
 

Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Corning, NY, US
Posts: 236
Thanks: 125
Thanked 51 Times in 41 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
It can be treated a lot of ways. Medication is one way to treat it. The type of bipolar and the severity of the symptoms dictate how necessary medication is. The most severe bipolar disorders are marked by psychosis at both the depressive and manic ends of the spectrum, and that can be very scary for both the bipolar person as well as those around him/her.

Fortunately, it is a very small percentage of people who experience psychosis.

I think one of the most debilitating forms is severe bipolar I, with or without psychosis, where medications don't work. Fortunately, that too, is small percentage.

Medications are expensive and do impact other areas of life, so lots of bipolar patients manage through other forms of therapy including talk therapy, diet, exercise, meditation, and stress reduction.

Mania is difficult to deal with - at the hypomanic stage, a person is full of energy and gets a lot done - they don't want to get out of that stage. Those who go into full mania don't always realize they are fully manic. They don't always appreciate the risk of actions. For some, the rest of the world is just too slow to keep up with the manic person.

Bipolar depression is difficult to treat. Some researchers estimate that it is even more severe than major depressive disorder, but personally, I think that's irrelevant. But, if you can imagine the most down day in your life and magnifying it by 1000, and coupling that with down days seeming to stretch one after the other in an never ending series, you can start to appreciate where they are with it. They don't appreciate how depressed they are lots of the time. It's frustrating and scary in its own way.

Then there are mixed episodes - where you have some of the symptoms of mania and some of the symptoms of depression, and these are just terrible. Think lots of energy but in a terrible mood. Yeah, scary.

There are lots of degrees of both. There's rapid cycling, ultra rapid cycling. There's bipolar I and bipolar II and cyclothemia.

So, two people can have the same diagnosis and experience the condition completely differently. Doesn't mean that one's not suffering just as much as the other, just means that they experience it differently. Similarly, some people need medication, some people can't do medication, and some people can do without medication.

An expert really needs to be involved with the person to help find the best combination of treatments for the whole person, and not just the most expedient one. LOs need to educate themselves about the disorder in general, as well as the disorder as it's expressed in their bipolar LO.
I agree....my mother battled with depression and alcoholism for years, and has been on every antidepressant you can think of at one time or another. She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder last year when she attempted suicide by overdosing on her antidepressants.
In retrospect, I always knew there was something more going on with her far worse than the "usual" depression we all feel from time to time, but never dared bring it up to her, because I knew it would be taken wrong and blown out of proportion....(I remember an "episode" when I was 18 years old and she burst into my apartment, drunk and upset that I was moving to California, tore me out of bed and proceeded to beat the crap out of me, nearly putting me through a window of my second story apartment)...matter of fact, I can't count the times she's told me that I was the one that needed "professional help"......
Wow, I've never put that situation on "paper" before now...just sent a chill up my spine.
Anyway, we almost lost her because she wasn't getting the help that she needed. Fortunately, she's doing better now, but with all the medication she's on, sometimes I feel like I don't even really know who she is because she acts so different. I guess I'll always be questioning, Is this who she is or was THAT who she really is??
I would advise anybody who has a LO with even the most minute of symptoms of this disorder to NOT OVERLOOK THEM. It does not just "go away" on it's own.
__________________


"Rocksie" w/out "Fraenkie"? ~




Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs*Axeslinger For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-23-2012)
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 07:41 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics