Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Mental Health
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Mental Health Pleae use this forum for all mental health related issues dealing with the prison system.

Old 04-26-2012, 12:07 AM
Nope. No Pumpkins Here At All
Donation Award 

Default Info on Bipolar?

What do you know about bipolar in mental health? Just curious, I'm looking out for a friend.

Alona............aloha from far away! Sent from my iPhone using PrisonTalk
Sponsored Links
Old 04-26-2012, 04:00 AM
attorney

Thanked 12,145 Times in 4,448 Posts

There's plenty of information to be found about bipolar online. One of the best resources is the Depression Bipolar Support Alliance. http://www.dbsalliance.org/site/Page...?pagename=home

They have a wealth of information and offer support groups for both patients and their LO.

Other good sources include the Mayo Clinic, Psych Central, and NAMI.
The Following User Says Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
norbit09 (05-24-2012)
Old 05-21-2012, 11:44 AM
Dalhamersgirl67

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid
What do you know about bipolar in mental health? Just curious, I'm looking out for a friend.

What do you want to know exactly?
Old 06-15-2012, 03:35 PM
sacesdad

What exactly would you like to know about bipolar disorder as there is bipolar I and bipolar II. Usually the bipolar I people have more mania than depression. Has your friend been diagnosed?
Old 07-12-2012, 08:35 PM

Default i have bipolar

for me,
bipolar 1 since highschool, now 52 yo
medication for mania and depression, basically severe, debilating mood swings was a mood stabilizer, a medication for sleep due to insomnia,
a tranquilizer for anxiety and an anti deppressant to control depression.
took over 15 yrs and 3 rehabs to find the right medication cocktail
broke the law when off my meds, no regrets or regard to consequences of any kind when off meds and/or on meds depending on the degree of my episode. episodes could last months and months sometimes years
every patient is differenct, co morbid dx are common with bipolar dx
alcoholism and drug abuse, ptsd, gad, depression, etc. dbsa is a good website for info , bipolar world, crazy meds is loaded with accurate information about many mental health disorders.
The Following User Says Thank You to Flagirl1960 For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-12-2012)
Old 07-12-2012, 08:44 PM
Does NOT Sugarcoat

Thanked 3,626 Times in 1,885 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaredsmermaid View Post

Your best bet is to Google Bi-polar disorder...you can find everything you want that way. It basically is a very serious form of depression and if not treated can ruin families and relationships.

Peace~

Old 07-12-2012, 08:48 PM

I have found that bi polar disorder affects people differently. I know that there are a huge number of books that you can look into. Both my ex and my current husband suffer from bi polar, very different, my ex was very abusive towards me, in all ways,,, my current husband is destructive to himself but very gentle with me. Bi polar disorder is a very serious disorder and it can be treated with medication.

There is not a day or hour that I do not think of being in your arms!
Old 07-12-2012, 10:29 PM
attorney

Thanked 12,145 Times in 4,448 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nieves915 View Post
I have found that bi polar disorder affects people differently. I know that there are a huge number of books that you can look into. Both my ex and my current husband suffer from bi polar, very different, my ex was very abusive towards me, in all ways,,, my current husband is destructive to himself but very gentle with me. Bi polar disorder is a very serious disorder and it can be treated with medication.
It can be treated a lot of ways. Medication is one way to treat it. The type of bipolar and the severity of the symptoms dictate how necessary medication is. The most severe bipolar disorders are marked by psychosis at both the depressive and manic ends of the spectrum, and that can be very scary for both the bipolar person as well as those around him/her.

Fortunately, it is a very small percentage of people who experience psychosis.

I think one of the most debilitating forms is severe bipolar I, with or without psychosis, where medications don't work. Fortunately, that too, is small percentage.

Medications are expensive and do impact other areas of life, so lots of bipolar patients manage through other forms of therapy including talk therapy, diet, exercise, meditation, and stress reduction.

Mania is difficult to deal with - at the hypomanic stage, a person is full of energy and gets a lot done - they don't want to get out of that stage. Those who go into full mania don't always realize they are fully manic. They don't always appreciate the risk of actions. For some, the rest of the world is just too slow to keep up with the manic person.

Bipolar depression is difficult to treat. Some researchers estimate that it is even more severe than major depressive disorder, but personally, I think that's irrelevant. But, if you can imagine the most down day in your life and magnifying it by 1000, and coupling that with down days seeming to stretch one after the other in an never ending series, you can start to appreciate where they are with it. They don't appreciate how depressed they are lots of the time. It's frustrating and scary in its own way.

Then there are mixed episodes - where you have some of the symptoms of mania and some of the symptoms of depression, and these are just terrible. Think lots of energy but in a terrible mood. Yeah, scary.

There are lots of degrees of both. There's rapid cycling, ultra rapid cycling. There's bipolar I and bipolar II and cyclothemia.

So, two people can have the same diagnosis and experience the condition completely differently. Doesn't mean that one's not suffering just as much as the other, just means that they experience it differently. Similarly, some people need medication, some people can't do medication, and some people can do without medication.

An expert really needs to be involved with the person to help find the best combination of treatments for the whole person, and not just the most expedient one. LOs need to educate themselves about the disorder in general, as well as the disorder as it's expressed in their bipolar LO.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to yourself For This Useful Post:
mg113 (07-14-2012), Mrs*Axeslinger (07-23-2012), norbit09 (12-01-2012)
Old 07-23-2012, 08:02 PM
Donation Award 

Best book I have read on the subject-- Loving someone with bipolar disorder by Julie Fast. Actually anything by Julie Fast, she is bipolar and writes about it really well.

Old 07-23-2012, 08:12 PM
BB ♥'s BB

The National Alliance for the Mentally Ill (NAMI) is a great organization and mental health resource. They offer information, education, facts, support groups, etc...for those who have a friend or loved one with mental illness, Bipolar, depression or have a disorder themselves. Their website is www.nami.org. They have some good short overviews on different types of mental illness. Here is the Bipolar one:

http://www.nami.org/Content/Navigati..._Disorder_.htm

Looks like people are giving you a lot of useful info on here!

Old 07-23-2012, 09:34 PM
Love Waits....02/05/13

Quote:
Originally Posted by yourself View Post
It can be treated a lot of ways. Medication is one way to treat it. The type of bipolar and the severity of the symptoms dictate how necessary medication is. The most severe bipolar disorders are marked by psychosis at both the depressive and manic ends of the spectrum, and that can be very scary for both the bipolar person as well as those around him/her.

Fortunately, it is a very small percentage of people who experience psychosis.

I think one of the most debilitating forms is severe bipolar I, with or without psychosis, where medications don't work. Fortunately, that too, is small percentage.

Medications are expensive and do impact other areas of life, so lots of bipolar patients manage through other forms of therapy including talk therapy, diet, exercise, meditation, and stress reduction.

Mania is difficult to deal with - at the hypomanic stage, a person is full of energy and gets a lot done - they don't want to get out of that stage. Those who go into full mania don't always realize they are fully manic. They don't always appreciate the risk of actions. For some, the rest of the world is just too slow to keep up with the manic person.

Bipolar depression is difficult to treat. Some researchers estimate that it is even more severe than major depressive disorder, but personally, I think that's irrelevant. But, if you can imagine the most down day in your life and magnifying it by 1000, and coupling that with down days seeming to stretch one after the other in an never ending series, you can start to appreciate where they are with it. They don't appreciate how depressed they are lots of the time. It's frustrating and scary in its own way.

Then there are mixed episodes - where you have some of the symptoms of mania and some of the symptoms of depression, and these are just terrible. Think lots of energy but in a terrible mood. Yeah, scary.

There are lots of degrees of both. There's rapid cycling, ultra rapid cycling. There's bipolar I and bipolar II and cyclothemia.

So, two people can have the same diagnosis and experience the condition completely differently. Doesn't mean that one's not suffering just as much as the other, just means that they experience it differently. Similarly, some people need medication, some people can't do medication, and some people can do without medication.

An expert really needs to be involved with the person to help find the best combination of treatments for the whole person, and not just the most expedient one. LOs need to educate themselves about the disorder in general, as well as the disorder as it's expressed in their bipolar LO.
I agree....my mother battled with depression and alcoholism for years, and has been on every antidepressant you can think of at one time or another. She was diagnosed with bipolar disorder last year when she attempted suicide by overdosing on her antidepressants.
In retrospect, I always knew there was something more going on with her far worse than the "usual" depression we all feel from time to time, but never dared bring it up to her, because I knew it would be taken wrong and blown out of proportion....(I remember an "episode" when I was 18 years old and she burst into my apartment, drunk and upset that I was moving to California, tore me out of bed and proceeded to beat the crap out of me, nearly putting me through a window of my second story apartment)...matter of fact, I can't count the times she's told me that I was the one that needed "professional help"......
Wow, I've never put that situation on "paper" before now...just sent a chill up my spine.
Anyway, we almost lost her because she wasn't getting the help that she needed. Fortunately, she's doing better now, but with all the medication she's on, sometimes I feel like I don't even really know who she is because she acts so different. I guess I'll always be questioning, Is this who she is or was THAT who she really is??
I would advise anybody who has a LO with even the most minute of symptoms of this disorder to NOT OVERLOOK THEM. It does not just "go away" on it's own.

"Rocksie" w/out "Fraenkie"? ~

The Following User Says Thank You to Mrs*Axeslinger For This Useful Post:
yourself (07-23-2012)