Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > MEDICAL & HEALTH > Hepatitis C
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Hepatitis C Living with it, inside prison and out in the world.

Old 04-23-2012, 09:04 PM

Default Treatment not working-please pray

Just got a call from my brother this evening to tell me that his Hep C treatment is not working. He began treatment several months ago and everything was fune and now his numbers are going up again. He is at 5,000 and by now he should be at zero. I feel bad for him but I am powerfless. He is at stage 2 and told me that there are 5 stages. He is moving slow (a good thing) right now but it could change. He says that the doctor says that it might take around 10 years to move to stage 3. He says that they will wait for another 3 to 5 years to see if a new treatment become available but until then we wait. Please keep him in prayer. He is naturally afraid. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to see if he got his information right and to see if there is anthing left to do. Hard when they are on the inside and can't demand anything.
Sponsored Links
Old 04-24-2012, 02:52 PM

Thanked 5,132 Times in 2,375 Posts

What is his genotype? Did he get a full 6 months of treatment? Have they stopped the treatment completely?

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrubberduck View Post
Just got a call from my brother this evening to tell me that his Hep C treatment is not working. He began treatment several months ago and everything was fune and now his numbers are going up again. He is at 5,000 and by now he should be at zero. I feel bad for him but I am powerfless. He is at stage 2 and told me that there are 5 stages. He is moving slow (a good thing) right now but it could change. He says that the doctor says that it might take around 10 years to move to stage 3. He says that they will wait for another 3 to 5 years to see if a new treatment become available but until then we wait. Please keep him in prayer. He is naturally afraid. I am calling the doctor tomorrow to see if he got his information right and to see if there is anthing left to do. Hard when they are on the inside and can't demand anything.
Old 04-25-2012, 12:37 PM

Treatment doesn't work for everyone...but new methods of treatment are coming out all the time. He is not going to die from this anytime soon, if he eats well and stays off of alcohol. Don't worry too much. What is his genotype?
Old 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM

I am still waiting for his doctor to call me back. I'm not sure what his type is but I will ask. He did not get the full treatment. The doctor did tell me that they would test him once a month to see if the treatment was working and as long as it appeared to be working that they would continue but if not they would stop. I know that he has been getting treatments for at least 3 months but it could have been longer. I believe that he can live a long time without the treatments but he is doubtful. It has taken 20 yeras for him to progress this far so I believe that it would take another 20 years to get to stage 3. I am calling the doctor and social worker again tomorrow to see if they will give me more information. My brother called again tonight and he is freaking out. They had to move him (to monitor his behavior) because he doesn't feel like he will live and he made a statement (what was the point of trying) that was cause for concern. He is not on suicide watch yet but they did increase his psych meds. Wow it is one thing after another. Keep us in prayer.
Old 05-04-2012, 07:14 PM

Default update

Finally spoke with my brother's doctor and he didn't really add much that I didin't know already. He said that my brother had 30 weeks of treatment and only had 14 more weeks to go and then all of a sudden the treatment stopped working. He said that they tired 1 extra week just to make sure but he failed. He said that maybe in 2 to 3 years a new treatment may be available for him to try. He said that Hep C would not kill him. He has the slow moving kind and he is in stage 2 and has 3 more stages to go. His liver is holding up well. His diabetic condition is what they are more concerned about now and he needs a total knee replacment but can't have it for at least 3 months. His has no antibodies due to the Hep C treament and they need for that to build up again. The doctor never told me what his antiogene type was...
Old 05-06-2012, 04:24 PM

Thanked 5,132 Times in 2,375 Posts

Actually, this is good news. For once there is a prison doctor who seems to know the disease and is properly treating it.
Depression and suicidal thoughts is a side effect of the treatment, and in fact is one very good reason to stop treatment. I am glad that they increased his depression medications.

He did receive 7 months of treatment and either did not respond at all, or had a poor response. When that happens, the side effects outweigh any possible benefit.

If I did it correctly, the prescribing information for Intron A, which is Interferon is attached. It's long and quite scientific, however, pages, 12, 14 and 15 pertain to your man.

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamsrubberduck View Post
Finally spoke with my brother's doctor and he didn't really add much that I didin't know already. He said that my brother had 30 weeks of treatment and only had 14 more weeks to go and then all of a sudden the treatment stopped working. He said that they tired 1 extra week just to make sure but he failed. He said that maybe in 2 to 3 years a new treatment may be available for him to try. He said that Hep C would not kill him. He has the slow moving kind and he is in stage 2 and has 3 more stages to go. His liver is holding up well. His diabetic condition is what they are more concerned about now and he needs a total knee replacment but can't have it for at least 3 months. His has no antibodies due to the Hep C treament and they need for that to build up again. The doctor never told me what his antiogene type was...
Attached Files
File Type: pdf piintrona[1].pdf (195.5 KB, 3 views)
Old 05-07-2012, 01:10 PM

Thank you for the kind words of hope and for the medical information and in this case the inmate is my brother. I am so blessed by this whole prison deal that my guy is an inmate as well but not the one with Hep C. Just kidding about being blessed with inmates in my life. I can say that I have been dealing with the in prisoned loved ones for the last 5 years. This brother, another brother who is out now and my guy. I am blessed that all 3 were not in at the same time. I have earned some gray hairs on my head from all of them! I do love each one of them through.
The Following User Says Thank You to adamsrubberduck For This Useful Post:
only1love (06-16-2012)
Old 05-27-2012, 08:00 PM

Many prayers Please know that he is correct stages can be moved slowly i know he likely can not take milk thistle while in prison but it can slow it even more as can eating healthy something else not easy to do while in prison i was diagnosed in 2000 i was stage 2 not long after i am still at stage 3
Tried treatment twice i am genotype A1 which does not respond well BUT there are new Treatments now that were just approved that genotype A1 responds well to so do not give up hope
Old 05-29-2012, 09:47 AM

lilbay.... Thank you so much for the encourging words. It is hard because he has little control over his diet but he is doing the best that he can. We are blessed because of the place that he is in. I can say that they are doing a great job for him and that is rare in places like this. He is under civil commitment and he is in a secure mental set up which is better than prison where he got no help. They are working with him on his other many illness. He has kidney, liver, vision and diabetic issues. He also needs a total knee replacement. Father time has been bad to him but his is a guy who has lived most of his life in jails and prisons. My brother has had mental issues since 6 years old and somethng should have been done about it long agao. I believe his mother and my father for not getting him the help that he neded. Some times we just look the other way and pretend that our children are okay when we know that they are not and this happened to him so now he pays for this with his life. So sad for him.

I hope that you and all of the others like my brother get a cure one day soon.

Thanks again.
Old 05-30-2012, 05:55 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 3,606 Times in 1,999 Posts

I'm so sorry your brother is dealing with so many issues.
It is nice to know he is getting some positive attention and not just lost in some shu cell somewhere.
Prayers for him and for you.
Huggs
Old 06-02-2012, 06:56 PM

Thanks so much Sheryl P..... I didn't think that anyone would care about him but it just goes to show that not everyone in the system is bad and some people really are there to help. I am just sorry for him that the help is coming so late. I am also sorry for him that 1 of my cousin and I are the only family members that he has left that talk to, write him or visit him.

Keep us in your thoughts and I will do the same for you and your loved ones.
Old 06-13-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Default hep c

Hi! My name is Rick,l was stage3, according to my Dr,liver transplant was my next move.Got lucky slayed the dragon.The reason for the email,there is a site called hepc nomads,good site find out new@ old treatments.Check it out!! You will be glad you did.have a good one! Rick
Old 06-14-2012, 05:50 PM

Thanks for the info Rick! Glad you found something to help you.