Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia DOC - What You Need to Know
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Georgia DOC - What You Need to Know Information relating to the Georgia Department of Corrections. Q&A for those new to the system should be posted here.

Old 01-12-2010, 01:33 AM

Default How long is the wait for a bed in the RSAT program?

my fiance is at the RSAT program at walker state. He has been heavily into drugs since 2004.. He is 22 years old and this is his second time being at a rehab.. he has been gone since may18th and went to walker on sept 28th.. his release date is march 23rd.. its really hard with out him here with me.

does anybody have a loved one that goes there
Sponsored Links
Old 01-12-2010, 08:17 PM

Hi, I am sorry I don't know anyone that that goes there but I understand completely what you mean about it being hard without him. My fiance was court ordered to a 2 year rehab/

I have been so depressed, because we are not married we are not allowed to have any communication with each other for 6 months and this has definitely devastated me.
We have been together for 10 years and have two children together.
He just now (after 60 days) received priviliges to write letters to his mom and children! I am so excited for my boys to get their letter from their daddy

Until May, I will wait patiently and for the moment I get my letters and phone calls.

I hope everything works out for you and hang in there, you guys do not have much longer! Best wishes

I don't love you because I need you, I need you because I love you~
Old 01-17-2010, 04:25 PM

thats awesome.. i guess im lucky, because i am able to go see him and touch him and kiss him every weekend.. but its 2 hours away. I didnt know that any place was a 2 year program? when does he graduate
Old 01-18-2010, 02:13 PM

Not until November 2011.. he is in Nc and there are only 2 places here like that. Of course it is called a Therapeutic Community and they teach them how to "live life" , they put them in school and teach them a trade, it will be worth it in the long run but for right now my children and I are hurting so bad.
I can't wait until I can touch him,hold him and kiss him When does yours graduate?

I don't love you because I need you, I need you because I love you~
Old 01-28-2010, 04:03 PM

he graduates march 23 2010
Old 01-28-2010, 11:35 PM

How long did he have to wait before he was transferred? My ex-husband has been sitting in the Carroll County Jail Almost 90 days. I was told since is was sentenced to 6 months inpatient rehab, they couldn't hold him in the county for longer than 6 months. He could sit there 5 months and 30 days, they pick him up and he has to do his 6 months. Do you know anything about this?
Old 01-31-2010, 10:10 PM

my boyfriend/fiance is in there aint wont be home till march 4th!
Old 01-31-2010, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justawaitin View Post
How long did he have to wait before he was transferred? My ex-husband has been sitting in the Carroll County Jail Almost 90 days. I was told since is was sentenced to 6 months inpatient rehab, they couldn't hold him in the county for longer than 6 months. He could sit there 5 months and 30 days, they pick him up and he has to do his 6 months. Do you know anything about this?

mine sat in walton county for only 2 1/2 weeks before they came and picked him up!
Old 02-03-2010, 02:02 AM

mine sat for four months. it pissed me off SO bad
Old 02-03-2010, 02:03 AM

you are right though, i was told the same thing... they have up for 6 months to come get them.. and if it hits that 6 month they go home... but ive never heard of that happening.
Old 02-05-2010, 09:49 AM

Unhappy Walker Rsat

Quote:
Originally Posted by princesslizx0 View Post
you are right though, i was told the same thing... they have up for 6 months to come get them.. and if it hits that 6 month they go home... but ive never heard of that happening.

My son sat in the Bartow County jail 2 weeks short of six months his probation officer told him she forgot about him. He was sent to Walkers RSAT 2/1/10. Now I am waiting on any information I can find about the phone calls, visitations, or how to send him any money. If any of you have any info I sure would appreciate it.
Old 02-14-2010, 01:20 AM

you have to to through GTL and set up an advanced pay account
to send him money, you must get his ID number and make an account on JPAY

that is horrible. probation officer did the same thing to my bf
Old 03-09-2010, 12:02 PM

Default My son just got shipped there yesterday morning....

I am not certain as to what I should expect. I understand that they utilize Spectrum Health Services to do their substance abuse classes. I viewe the website, but nothing about their contract with the State of Georgia Dept. of Corrections work. Obviously they are a big outfit. How does your man like the program. I am sure some inmates are only going because they have to, but I hope my son wanted to go, as he signed a waiver to go to avoid going before the judge on a probation revocation for a misdemeanor charge. Just tell me all about it.

Melissa

Quote:
my fiance is at the RSAT program at walker state. He has been heavily into drugs since 2004.. He is 22 years old and this is his second time being at a rehab.. he has been gone since may18th and went to walker on sept 28th.. his release date is march 23rd.. its really hard with out him here with me.

Old 05-06-2010, 05:58 AM

impressive keep it up
Old 09-21-2010, 10:18 AM
~WilliamsLove~

Quote:
thats awesome.. i guess im lucky, because i am able to go see him and touch him and kiss him every weekend.. but its 2 hours away. I didnt know that any place was a 2 year program? when does he graduate

Hey I have a boyfriend that just went into rehab yesterday, September 20. He is suppose to stay there for 6 months but they might let him out early seeing as how he has been clean and sober for 5 months now. He wanted to go so I am happy for him but at the same time I want him to call me and I hope I am able to see him when he can have visits. We have been together for a year and I love him and care about him so much. I know that he feels the same way. I am just worried that I will not be able to see him when he can have visits. I was told that it is really for family and it is hard for a girlfriend or boyfriend to visit in rehab. Do you know if this is true or not. I know that it is VERY hard to be out here without him. I hope I can talk to you more and maybe we can get through this together.
Old 11-18-2011, 09:50 PM
sam43005

Question Sentenced two years Rsat

my brother is waiting in the hall county jail,hes been there for 18 months waiting to be transfered,I called the GDC (Geogia department of corrections) they told me its because of the way he was sentenced there is no two year Rsat program so now his sentence has to be revised by the judge,because of there mistake hes just waiting,he took a plea to do 5 years- 2 Rsat and 3 intence probation,but when I talked to the GDC its not showing his plea only the 15 years do 7,its a mess.
Old 12-22-2011, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Justawaitin View Post

My boyfriend sat in the Bartow County jail for about 3 months before he was moved to the NWRSAT program at Walker State Prison. Ive heard of people waiting much ,uch longer...Like 18mnths, but like I said...I HEARD that. Ive nevder known anyone else that went other than my boyfriend. Good luck to you.
Old 12-27-2011, 02:12 AM

Default How long after going to NWRSAT for visitation???

My boyfriend went to NWRSAT at Walker in the beginning of December and here it is almost January....How long did it take yall (ANYONE ELSE) to be able to visit an inmate at the RSAT program???????? Please respond! Im going crazy
Old 12-27-2011, 07:03 PM

Quote:

Yes I do. My boyfriend has been there since early december. He had a problem with coccaine and im all for him getting help with it but not too carazy about him being forced to be away from me for this time period. I should be allowee visits soon, IM HOPING!!
Old 04-23-2012, 02:36 PM

My fiance is waiting for a bed space to open in the RSAT program and I was wondering how long the wait is for an opening?
Old 05-07-2012, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bestmom3911 View Post
My fiance is waiting for a bed space to open in the RSAT program and I was wondering how long the wait is for an opening?
Bestmom- I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this program is one of the most inept and poorly run programs I have ever seen- and I've worked for the federal and state government for the last decade. Seriously, HUGE waste of tax dollars. My husband was on probation for a theft charge and sentenced to 1 yr for violation of probation (failure to report). Because he had ONE DUI in 2008 and no other drug history he was sent to RSAT at Coastal State (the six month program at that!). If he had refused RSAT he would be coming home next month, but he accepted under their ruse that it would get him out earlier... LIARS! He was sentenced on Oct. 10 (our one year anniversary and went to Coastal on Oct. 27. He sat there until the last week of February before finally being orientated. Meanwhile, in December, Parole gave him a TMP of May 9... two days from now. I was told by several different people that the parole date was set and it didn't matter when he started the program since he wouldn't have to finish it anyway... they lied, I believed them, and I stopped pestering them about getting orientated in December. You would think Parole, in December, would have seen that my husband hadn't started the program and set the TMP far enough out so that he could finish, but they apparently aren't that smart.... and even now it still says May 12... but according to all my calling today it will now be AUGUST! My husband kept telling his counselor (sic) and finally one said "Why haven't you been orientated yet?" and "You must have fallen through the cracks when we were organizing probation RSAT!" So they admitted that their incompetence is the only reason that he was held back.. but they don't believe in righting their wrongs (cause that would teach criminals to be accountable for themselves now wouldn't it?)

My only advice can be to hang in there. Hopefully it will provide something useful for your fiance, but for my husband that's NEVER had a substance abuse problem, it's been a complete waste of time and money.

I also should point out that it is my belief that the fact that the boast low recidivism rates is a fallacy- the only reason they have low recidivism rates from this program is because they put people that are already low-risk into the program to boost their numbers!
Old 05-14-2012, 01:44 PM
journey started 3-28-11

Quote:
Originally Posted by smith85 View Post
Bestmom- I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but this program is one of the most inept and poorly run programs I have ever seen- and I've worked for the federal and state government for the last decade. Seriously, HUGE waste of tax dollars. My husband was on probation for a theft charge and sentenced to 1 yr for violation of probation (failure to report). Because he had ONE DUI in 2008 and no other drug history he was sent to RSAT at Coastal State (the six month program at that!). If he had refused RSAT he would be coming home next month, but he accepted under their ruse that it would get him out earlier... LIARS! He was sentenced on Oct. 10 (our one year anniversary and went to Coastal on Oct. 27. He sat there until the last week of February before finally being orientated. Meanwhile, in December, Parole gave him a TMP of May 9... two days from now. I was told by several different people that the parole date was set and it didn't matter when he started the program since he wouldn't have to finish it anyway... they lied, I believed them, and I stopped pestering them about getting orientated in December. You would think Parole, in December, would have seen that my husband hadn't started the program and set the TMP far enough out so that he could finish, but they apparently aren't that smart.... and even now it still says May 12... but according to all my calling today it will now be AUGUST! My husband kept telling his counselor (sic) and finally one said "Why haven't you been orientated yet?" and "You must have fallen through the cracks when we were organizing probation RSAT!" So they admitted that their incompetence is the only reason that he was held back.. but they don't believe in righting their wrongs (cause that would teach criminals to be accountable for themselves now wouldn't it?)

My only advice can be to hang in there. Hopefully it will provide something useful for your fiance, but for my husband that's NEVER had a substance abuse problem, it's been a complete waste of time and money.

I also should point out that it is my belief that the fact that the boast low recidivism rates is a fallacy- the only reason they have low recidivism rates from this program is because they put people that are already low-risk into the program to boost their numbers!

Hey there,

Thank you for this post. My fiance is serving a 4 year sentence within 18 months he's been through county jail, Jackson diagnostics, Burruss SP, Wilcox SP, Baldwin SP, and last week got transferred to Dooly SP. Of course the counselor at Dooly is no better than any of the others, but he's being told he needs to do RSAT at Johnson SP.

After reading your post I am very concerned that he'll get transferred again just to WAIT for orientation and WAIT to start the 6 month program. He says that if his TPM comes up while he's in RSAT he will still parole out, but I don't believe this.

If the judge or the parole board didn't mandate RSAT, can't he refuse to do it? What about all the new laws going through with Gov Deal's 1176 bill? Would being in RSAT help him or hurt him?

Thanks for any wisdom and opinions you can share!

Katy