Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > MICHIGAN > Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Michigan Laws - Updates/Reviews/Questions Post all legal information and questions here about laws in Michigan.

Old 12-11-2011, 03:25 PM

Default Are there Diversion programs in Michigan for non-juveniles?

I am wondering if my attorney did due diligence in my Retail Fraud, 3rd degree case. I was told that pleading guilty and being sentenced under MCL 771.1 was the best and only option for me to avoid having a conviction. However, I've since discovered that there is such a thing as diversion programs which could have been utilized, if available, which might have had a better outcome for me. I made a poor choice, I admit it, however I am deeply concerned with all I've read about my sentencing that this will still dub me as 'convicted' of a crime even though it's not a formal conviction. I can't find anything online about county specific diversion programs, other than for juveniles or drug court. Does anyone have any insight?

Thanks for your time.

*my county is Berrien btw*
Sponsored Links
Old 04-15-2012, 10:00 AM

Not sure if you'll be reading this since it's so long since you posted, but even diversion programs call for sentencing under 771.1 so even if you had been sentenced to a diversion program, you would have the same result. Once you complete your requirements, the case will be dismissed. Law enforcement authorities will still be able to see it, but they will also see that it was dismissed.