I haven't posted in a while, but I'm back now with more questions. My fiance just got moved to CRAF today - in fact, he's probably still in the van heading up there. Before he gets to his "home" prison and all, I wanted to ask the following, if anyone knows any of the answers, it'd be a big help.:
1. I don't have a landline, and apparently cell phones won't accept the calls. Is there any other way for him to call me, like will a phone card allow him to connect to my cell phone?
2. I sent him a list (addresses, names, phone numbers) while he was at county, but this past weekend was Easter weekend and he might not have gotten the letters yet. Will they forward his mail to him from county to CRAF?
3. He said they would send him to either Yardville or a prison up in northern New Jersey, I think he was using a nickname for it. Whatever it was, it sounded like it started with an "a" and he said it was up by Perth Amboy. When will I know which facility he went to?
4. My cell phone number is a PA number, so it costs more per phone call since he's in the NJ system. Assuming he can even call my cell phone somehow or gets a phone card, is there any way to reduce the cost? I've seen advertisements but I don't know what's a scam and what's real.
5. While in county before we posted his bail a couple months ago, he served about three months and should have gotten good time. When will that be calculated and put toward his overall time served?
6. How long will it be until he can go to a halfway house? He was sentenced, and has to serve at least 4 1/2 years (for his first offense, and he's only 20; it was a car accident) before he's eligible for parole.
7. He had said another inmate said he could get CDs, DVDs, old handheld gaming consoles (Gameboy, etc. without access to the Internet and that needed batteries to play/couldn't be charged), and things like that. What can I actually send him? Can I send him clothes, shoes, and towels? Does everything I send have to come from a store, factory, or Amazon?
I think that's all my questions for the time being, I'm sure I'll have more as time goes on.
1. They are not allowed to call cell phones & unfortunately there is no way around it. Some have tried google talk or forward the calls from a land line to a cell phone but after time they pick up to it.
2. They will not forward his mail to craf. They will either toss it or send it back to you.
3. You won't know where he is going to go until he knows. He has to go thro classification at craf before you will know.
4. I am not sure of any cheaper phone companies. I know there are a lot out there but not sure which ones are good or bad. Check the phone section on here. I am sure someone has mentioned one that is good.
5. Items sent to prisons must come from the direct resource. I don't believe you can send those items but I could be wrong. If he did have any money on his account while at county it will follow him.
6. Hallway houses are for non violent offenders. Not sure your LO circumstances so I can't say one way or another. It is normally 18 months before their release date.
I think I covered everything. If you have anymore questions please feel free to PM me. Sorry they aren't in order of the questions. Good luck with your journey!
The Following User Says Thank You to luvmyluis For This Useful Post:
Alright, thanks so much. I'll resend him his list just in case, I haven't heard from him since our last visit on Sunday and I know he didn't have it then, chances are he didn't get it Monday either. I ended up calling CRAF, she said he won't be able to call for seven to ten days, but I should set up the Global Tel*Link account in advance to avoid any complications, so I guess I'll just have to get a landline and get that over with. It's bad enough I can't visit him there, even if it's just for a minute I'd like to hear his voice.