Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > GEORGIA > Georgia Prison Profiles > Georgia State Prisons > Georgia Diagnostic & Classification Prison
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Georgia Diagnostic & Classification Prison Topics and discussion specific to Georgia Diagnostic & Classification Prison in Jackson, Georgia.

Old 01-19-2011, 05:24 PM
Donation Award 

abclove,

last week's mail may have been delayed due to weather.
Sponsored Links
Old 05-12-2011, 03:08 PM
journey started 3-28-11

Question Direct Phone #

Quote:
Originally Posted by strongernow View Post
[center][size=4][b]

TEL.: (770) 504-2000
FAX : (770) 504-2006
When I called this # I got an automated menu for all GDOC. What is the direct line to Jackson? Does anyone know the mailroom #?

Thanks
Old 05-31-2011, 04:51 PM

Hey uncle danny Young i c u back in jail. U just dont know how to stay out of trouble this days. Well we miss u. Love u always
Old 06-19-2011, 04:15 PM

My boyfriend just got moved to Georgia Diagnostic & Classification Prison why are they sent their? I also heard that in order to get paroled he mist live in a house not an apt is this true??? I would appreciate any info
Please and thank you :]
The Following User Says Thank You to Hdz_Ncy For This Useful Post:
eeniaLorr (04-29-2012)
Old 06-25-2011, 05:26 AM

can anyone send me information on Ga diagnostic center in Jackson Ga. My son was sent there and I have no idea the address to write him or what phone service to put money on. I sent him money using jpay but will they notify him. any help would be appreciated.
Old 07-08-2011, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JLynnM83 View Post
Hi There!

I hope everyone is doing well and staying positive!

I am from Canada and my boyfriend is in Georgia USA! He was charged with theft by taking and violation of probation. He was sentenced to two years. He was at Gwinett County Detention Centre from July up until a few days ago. He has been transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison.
Being from Canada, I'm not entirely sure of how the prison system works in the USA. I'm basically learning as I go. I was told by someone at Gwinett County that if an inmate has a sentence of more then a year, they are eventually transferred to prison. Is this true?
Here's a list of my questions that I will hopefully be able to get answers to.

1) Why was my boyfriend transferred to Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison? And why was he transferred to a maximum security, when his only crime was theft by taking?

2) What does Diagnostic and Classification mean exactly? What is this place and what do they do?

3) His sister told me that he was in processing. What does this mean?

4) I understand that an individual can be granted parole 1/3 of their sentence. And my boyfriend has two years, making 1/3 of his sentence eight months. So his parole month should be March. But he told me that the parole board is four months behind, so March could turn into July. And I understand this. But my question is that, does his transfer effect him getting parole? Or can he still be granted parole?

5) At the Georgia Diagnostic and Classification Prison, are the inmates divided according to type of crime? I guess I just want to know that he is safe and he wont be put into any situations that can jeopardize his chances of being granted parole.

The last time I heard from him was the middle of February when he was still at Gwinnett, so now I write him back. I've also asked him the same questions about his case.

I am hoping that someone can answer my questions and help me to understand what is going on.

Thanks so much!
Hi, my name is april. My husband was transferred to GDCP yesterday. This is where they evaluate the inmates. If they were on drugs previously, or have mental issues,etc. this is where they will find out where to place the inmates. Either in max security, medium, or min. The usual time they are here is 6-8 wks. Could be longer. He will still be eligible for parole.
Old 02-02-2012, 11:46 AM

my son has been at GDCP since oct and clearly past the 90 days. Since he is classified as diagnostic and not a permanent he cannot receive books or anything. My question is how can I get a special visit since I am in Illinois and he is in Georgia when every time he submits are request they go unanswered. I call and each time I am told something different. How can I get accurate info and what can he do to get his request to see a counselor answered? Thanks
Old 04-07-2012, 05:13 PM

Default scared

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
hello JLynnM83.

welcome to pto and the ga forum family. i sent you a private message.
Hi everyone, I am lost my 24 year old son was transported last week from lowndes county jail in valdosta to jackson diagnostic and i just recieved a letter from me and was shocked because i was told it would one month before i hear from him. This is his first time in prison and i hope the last but i have so many questions. First is there a website that give information on his such as his destination and his maximum release date. Yes like many others I am going crazy and feeling as if i let my son down although he had an attorney it was like having a child represent him. I understand jackson is very rough, of course i never expected prison to be anything but rough. he is requesting money for commissary and for phone i certainly appreciate any advice you can give.
thanks.
Old 04-07-2012, 05:30 PM

I understand Jackson is where they house inmates on death row, it is really scaring me although my son nick is their at jackson he is not as strong as most think. I feel as if I am all alone yet I understand other families are going through the same. Hang in there to all.
Old 05-23-2013, 07:38 AM

Is there anyone that has any first had knowledge or any information that could share with me about Jackson State Diag? My son was just transferred there on Monday. Are they locked down all day? Will he be able to call home? Is that place as dangerous as I have read about on the web? HELP ME PLEASE! Any information will help.
Old 05-23-2013, 11:32 AM
You + Me = ALWAYS

No they are not on lockdown all day, though during the diagnostic process there is nothing for them to do. He will not be able to call home until after he has finished diagnostics which can take 2-6 weeks, they seem to be moving them through pretty fast though, my LO was finished in 13 days so it was not that bad. He will be able to write to you, so if you are able to make sure you put some money on his books so he is able to go to "store". Jackson uses Globel-tel for phone calls so you might want to look into setting up an account with them so he is able to call once he is done with the process. My LO has been at Jackson about 6 months now, he was made a permanent there once he was done with diagnostics, and in the time that he has been there it has been pretty quiet, no major fights or whatnot, though I have been told that the permanent side of the compound is more relaxed with less chaos than the diagnostic side, but my Hubby had no problems while in diagnostics either. It's not as bad as it's made out to be, though I am sure it's not a bed of roses either. Just try to relax, I know easier said than done, but he will be okay I am sure of it. Feel free to PM me if you have anymore questions and I will do my best to answer them for you.
Old 08-22-2013, 06:03 AM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

Hi, I was not sure where to post this.
My question ...is do women go to Jackson Diagnostic and Classification prison too ?
Or are they classified somewhere else?
Thanks so much

Poor planning and irresponsibility on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Old 08-22-2013, 10:45 AM
You + Me = ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lesliezack View Post
Hi, I was not sure where to post this.
My question ...is do women go to Jackson Diagnostic and Classification prison too ?
Or are they classified somewhere else?
Thanks so much

No, Jackson is a men's only facility. I believe women go to Arrendale State Prison for diagnostic's and classification.
Old 08-22-2013, 04:45 PM
a Realist NOT an enabler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by s&talways View Post
No, Jackson is a men's only facility. I believe women go to Arrendale State Prison for diagnostic's and classification.
Thank you so much!

Poor planning and irresponsibility on your part does not constitute an emergency on my part!
Old 09-06-2013, 08:51 PM

my boyfriend was just sent here and there is no possible way for me to get to him to give him money so how do you send money orders?
Old 09-06-2013, 09:06 PM
You + Me = ALWAYS

Quote:
Originally Posted by jessieka2012 View Post
my boyfriend was just sent here and there is no possible way for me to get to him to give him money so how do you send money orders?
You can go to the Ga Dept of Corrections website and get all the info you need to send a money or to them. But it can take a while for them to get it. The quickest way to get your LO money is either JayPay or Western Union quick collect, which both can be done online and take about 24hrs to get placed on their account.
Old 12-12-2013, 06:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Praying4myson View Post
Is there anyone that has any first had knowledge or any information that could share with me about Jackson State Diag? My son was just transferred there on Monday. Are they locked down all day? Will he be able to call home? Is that place as dangerous as I have read about on the web? HELP ME PLEASE! Any information will help.
My ex-husband was transferred there about a week ago. He is in diagnostics and is what they term a "parole revocator." He was able to write me the day after he arrived and has followed up with another letter and card since then. He says that the PR's are on lockdown 24 hours a day until they are fully processed into the system. They even receive their trays in their cells. If your son doesn't fall into that category, it may not be the same with him. My ex-husband also told me that it will be some time before he can make phone calls. I've read around the forum that it may be as long as six weeks to 90 days. My ex-husband asked me to go ahead and set up a phone account with GlobalTel (which I've done) so that he can call me when it's permissible. I don't know about the level of danger there.

I hope this helps.
Old 01-30-2014, 11:34 AM

Default no parole for 2-year sentence????

dingy2366- unfortunately, inmates with sentences under 3 years max out and serve the ENTIRE bid. they are not paroled. he will be able to get visits and calls once he is transferred to a permanent camp. (10 months will go by quicker than you think. just keep your head up and stay positive.)

???? I saw today that my hubby was moved here. He has sat 6 month in jail before and he has a two year sentence. WHY you say he needs to be locked up all two years? I've never heard that before. Doesn't he have the right to parole all of a sudden? He's 1/3 is coming up now in March and I was hoping he would come out soon. Any ideas on how long he will be in there.. and I HOPE you're wrong!!
Old 01-30-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kae View Post
hello JLynnM83.

welcome to pto and the ga forum family. i sent you a private message.
Too bad you didn't answer in thread since i have exact same questions, with hubby also on two years and 1/3 in March
Old 05-17-2014, 08:10 PM

Default Jackson

I am a college student earning a criminal justice degree and I got to go on a tour of the Georgia Diagnostics and Classification Prison. I thought I would tell my experience there not as someone in the DOC or an inmate but just an average citizen who got to witness what goes on there. I got to see the main corridors, E-House, a single dorm, death row and the death house. I will just say right off the bat that I would not want to be locked up there, it is not a nice place to be. The whole building smells like a dirty public restroom and the smell of the food coming from the kitchen is a whole different story. I’ll just put it this way, I wouldn’t want to eat that food. Overall when I was there the staff seems like they have a very firm control over things and were very professional when I was there. When we were there, there was a fight and the guards had it under control within seconds. Georgia prisons are a para-military style system so all the inmates have to talk to guards like a solider talks to a drill sergeant in boot camp. When we were there we were feet away from inmates and they didn’t dare try anything because they were afraid of the guards and the guards make it clear that any misbehavior will not be tolerated. So if inmates there follow the rules and don’t act up they should be somewhat safe even though it’s impossible to be completely safe in any prison. Also the majority of the inmates I saw in there just looked like kids in their late teens and early twenties. Now death row is a whole different ball park from the rest of the prison. I will not lie, that was the scariest thing I ever saw. We got to walk down one tier on death row and the inmates could literally reach through the bars and touch us we were so close to them. I was in favor of the death penalty but after actually looking those men in the eyes and just feeling the energy of that place, I sort of am on the fence now. If there is a true hell on earth, that is it. That place has such an evil dark energy to the place that I just can’t describe it and the air was so thick and heavy you could cut it with a knife. It’s just a place you don’t want to be. Also we got to see the death house which was also creepy. There is a show on the national geographic channel called hard time and they did a couple of episodes on Jackson that you can watch for free online if anyone wants to see for their self what it’s like in there. This forum won’t let me post the links but if you google ( hard time the outsiders) or (hard time breaking in) and click on the videos from snagfilms.com you can watch the episodes for free. I hope I could answer some questions about this place.

Last edited by GA12345; 05-17-2014 at 08:15 PM..
Old 05-23-2014, 09:48 PM
Counting the days...
Donation Award 

Here is a link to the current fact sheet for diagnostics at Jackson.

http://www.dcor.state.ga.us/Research...sification.pdf

From what I've been reading most inmates recently have been here right around 2 weeks. I'll be following along closely once my honey gets there.