Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > BECOMING INVOLVED > Prison Activism
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Prison Activism What's going on? How to become involved.

Old 10-28-2011, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpuckett View Post
I have a new complaint, More has happened, A guy in jail with my man was just bonded out and he had 3 counts of crack possesion, probation violation HE IS WHITE, (What on earth, This is so crazy, I don't understand it, Black, White, Asian, Latino, What is wrong with people, We are the same, Just because your a different skin color who cares, they should be treated the same) My man is only in for 3rd count of public intox on private property/ probation violation that's all! Also he got locked down today because they did a search of his cell and found an extra ink pen and he was only suppose to have 1 not 2. OMG!! I am furious, i don't want to just sit and keep quiet, I want stand up for all this discrimination, inhumane treatment and injustice, If I don't who will, It's not just my man it's alot of inmates there I talked too the other ladies when i go up and visit him.
Thanks for keeping us up to date with recent developments. That does sound pretty ridiculous regardless of race involved. The pen thing I feel you my boo has blisters all over his hand because they are only allowed to have those small pencils you see at church with no erasers. I'm glad you are angry because anger is close to passion so I know you will passionately help with this project. Please feel free to encourage the ladies you talk to at visits to join and contribute too.
Sponsored Links
Old 10-30-2011, 07:39 AM

This is a link to a study about conjugal visits http://www.fcnetwork.org/reading/conjugal.html it is an older article and kind of long, but I thought some of you might find it interesting, I did.
Old 10-30-2011, 11:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kluvrae View Post
This is a link to a study about conjugal visits http://www.fcnetwork.org/reading/conjugal.html it is an older article and kind of long, but I thought some of you might find it interesting, I did.
This was great! Thanks so much for posting. I wish they would have given solutions to the complaints they listed.
Old 10-31-2011, 05:21 AM

I want to be a part of this too! My husband was put in the hole because he broke. Up a fight between two gang members! He there for 6 months in the hole no visits or phone calls! Now they have also charged him with the fight, assault, being in someone else's cell and on top of that they have now labeled him a gang member! What are these people doing! They abuse there power to the utmost! I have contacted the director of prisons in north Carolina and they just stood by their decisions! There were numerous witnesses that told them my husband had nothing to do with the fight! On a different note back in July when I went to visit my husband a different situation came about! We were ripped apart from a visit in the first five minutes saying that we kissed to long and they beleived I passed him something...... girls beware these people are crazy and will take away any bit of happiness u can get out of this situation. Anyway our visit was cancelled immediately and I was sent home they kept my husband dry celled for a week to find that he did not have anything!!! Then they kept him still in the hole for 3 more weeks because they said we kissed too long!!! My visits were taken for six months because of the kiss!. Let me say that we r a mixed couple and I do believe that has an enormous amount to do with it! And all of his following problems the fight for example! It doesn't matter that we have been married for 15 years and have four children!!!! On the next note north Carolina has no conjugal visits..... our family deserves to be able to keep that bond and they don't care if one state had it they all should have it! We need new laws to protect our inmates and family's from this abuse of power! I will support this cause at any cost! Please let me know what I can do!
Old 10-31-2011, 11:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jermainesbaby View Post
I want to be a part of this too! My husband was put in the hole because he broke. Up a fight between two gang members! He there for 6 months in the hole no visits or phone calls! Now they have also charged him with the fight, assault, being in someone else's cell and on top of that they have now labeled him a gang member! What are these people doing! They abuse there power to the utmost! I have contacted the director of prisons in north Carolina and they just stood by their decisions! There were numerous witnesses that told them my husband had nothing to do with the fight! On a different note back in July when I went to visit my husband a different situation came about! We were ripped apart from a visit in the first five minutes saying that we kissed to long and they beleived I passed him something...... girls beware these people are crazy and will take away any bit of happiness u can get out of this situation. Anyway our visit was cancelled immediately and I was sent home they kept my husband dry celled for a week to find that he did not have anything!!! Then they kept him still in the hole for 3 more weeks because they said we kissed too long!!! My visits were taken for six months because of the kiss!. Let me say that we r a mixed couple and I do believe that has an enormous amount to do with it! And all of his following problems the fight for example! It doesn't matter that we have been married for 15 years and have four children!!!! On the next note north Carolina has no conjugal visits..... our family deserves to be able to keep that bond and they don't care if one state had it they all should have it! We need new laws to protect our inmates and family's from this abuse of power! I will support this cause at any cost! Please let me know what I can do!
Thank you for your story! If I am keeping all of you straight on here I believe you are the 2nd mixed couple and have voiced concerns regarding race. I will take note of this. PM me with your skill set and the things you are most interested in regarding your hot button issues and we will see how you can best help the cause! Thanks for your support and we all look forward to working with you! P.S. Please read the article above the member supplied regarding conjugal visits it is a great read.
Old 11-01-2011, 02:47 PM
Intoxicatedmadness

I would love for " conjugal " visits or " Family" visits to become legal. New Jersey doesn't allow them
Old 11-04-2011, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SmashingTeas View Post
I would love for " conjugal " visits or " Family" visits to become legal. New Jersey doesn't allow them
Can you tell me why you think this type of visit would be beneficial to you and your loved one? What is it that you like the most about that type of arrangement?
Old 11-06-2011, 09:15 AM

My man"s been in prison since wed am. They said I can't see him or talk to him for a month, I don't get it but I guess. They also said if i sent money for him to call me they would send it back. This is so special. I feel for everyone who has a loved one in jail or prison. My heart goes out to all of you.
Old 11-06-2011, 07:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gpuckett View Post
My man"s been in prison since wed am. They said I can't see him or talk to him for a month, I don't get it but I guess. They also said if i sent money for him to call me they would send it back. This is so special. I feel for everyone who has a loved one in jail or prison. My heart goes out to all of you.
I wonder why they won't let you see or talk to him or even if there is a reason at all...hmmmm.We are here for you, feel free to vent and keep us posted on anything that should be added to our petition.
The Following User Says Thank You to cornellcutie1 For This Useful Post:
gpherscovici (11-13-2011)
Old 11-06-2011, 09:26 PM

Is anyone here from Oregon or Indiana? I randomly came to find out about their work programs in both states and want to know an "insider's" view on if they work and are a good thing.
Old 12-07-2011, 07:08 PM
His Princess!!!

Hey there! I hadn't checked on this thread for a while but I'm about to write a complaint to the U.S. Department of Justice for inhumane treatment. It is 19 degrees where my man is at and they don't give them any sweats or sweatshirts because he is in the hole, he has the same needs as someone in GP. One blanket not to mention their sorry ass blankets, that's all they get. So him and some other inmates are writing letters to this division and to the U.S. Deputy who is in charge of overseeing private facilities in Southern Calif. good luck to all of you and keep me updated.

I love you baby! You and I til the End of our time....

Psalm 46:1 “God is our refuge and strength, a very present help in trouble.”
Old 01-09-2012, 10:43 PM

Exclamation

Hey there Jay 1! As some of you know I am ill. As of late my condition has got worse. I also have limited access to the internet right now as well.I have not forgotten any of you and I still want to work on this project together and need ALL of your help to do so. I'm so happy that you are doing what you are doing and hope it inspires others to stick up for their significant others and kin as well!

For those of you who committed to doing research or anything else on this thread, please give us all an update of your status.

We need more stories, more members++++, and more factual data. Anyway you can contribute to these needs is appreciated whether you already pledged to do something or you are brand new to the thread.

Thank you for all that you do here and for your family.

All my love- Cornellcutie1
Old 01-20-2012, 08:43 PM
Donation Award 

Remember, these petitions are for the FEDERAL government to act on, not the state governments. Most of what is being posted are state issues. In those cases, you need to write to the Secretary of Corrections in your state.

Old 03-30-2012, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelf View Post
Remember, these petitions are for the FEDERAL government to act on, not the state governments. Most of what is being posted are state issues. In those cases, you need to write to the Secretary of Corrections in your state.
Thank you for your post! This will be drafted for the Federal government,but a lot of these state by state stories prove that change needs to happen nationally.

On a side note I now have internet access so I will be on more often,but bear with me I'm still ill and weak and do all I can do with what I've got.

We still need more members to this discussion so anything you can do to increase our numbers would be much appreciated.

All my love and prayers go out to all of you and your loved ones.
Old 04-18-2012, 11:26 PM

I read a book and wanted to share it with all of you because I feel it adds to this discussion it's called: Capital Punishment An Indictment by a Death-Row Survivor by Billy Wayne Sinclair and Jodie Sinclair. It is a very well researched book and I'm sure you will read things that sound familiar to you and your loved ones.I was able to find it on Amazon even though I bought my copy at a dollar store.
I also just signed a petition that was sent to my inbox regarding Kerry Max Cook on Change.org if your from Texas I'm sure you have heard how he was on death row for a murder he did not commit for 22 years! Please keep all of us updated on any thing you have dug up or any new issues with the jails you are dealing with.
Old 04-27-2012, 08:24 PM

My issue is education, I can you expect a person to come home and be productive in society, with no education or skills
Old 04-28-2012, 12:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitegirl31 View Post
My issue is education, I can you expect a person to come home and be productive in society, with no education or skills
What type of education or skill sets do you think need to be taught while they are in prison? I know some prisons and jails have programs,but they differ from place to place, and by state as well.
Old 04-30-2012, 11:41 PM

I see that this thread has been looked at over 5,000 times. If everyone who looked at this thread joined the discussion we would be a 3rd of the way to the number we need to have leverage to make whatever our final petion ends up saying actually happen. That's right people we need 15,000 people actively taking part in this thread and helping form and write the petition we will all sign and put on the government petition platform. So, what I need to know at this point is how are you personally committing to this task? How are you increasing our numbers? How are you adding to the knowledge we already have? Do you intend to help with the drafting and editiing of the petition as well? I need to know where everyone here's head is at and how committed to this all of you are. I know that "real life" can get in the way and that you have bills to pay and mouths to feed. We all have that, but I know if you were as committed to this project as you are to your men and women locked up, togather we could move mountains. Let's make it happen!
Old 06-02-2012, 10:45 PM

Thanked 1,633 Times in 609 Posts

I think everything stated here is worthy of our pursuit. Another topic that I would like to find a voice for is the plight of the lifer with possibility of parole in the state of California. My soon to be husband is a lifer. He is on a 7 to life sentence. He has been down 34 years. The Parole Board has repeatedly denied him parole. This is a huge problem I CA there are approximately 30,000 lifers in CA with possibility of that number roughly 20,000 have served their minimum sentence and then some. What about placing a cap on the maximum number of years these inmates can serve. It is kind of ridiculas to say we will consider you for parole after 7 years but we will hold you 27 more. When is enough time served?
Old 06-02-2012, 11:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by krc1abc1 View Post
I think everything stated here is worthy of our pursuit. Another topic that I would like to find a voice for is the plight of the lifer with possibility of parole in the state of California. My soon to be husband is a lifer. He is on a 7 to life sentence. He has been down 34 years. The Parole Board has repeatedly denied him parole. This is a huge problem I CA there are approximately 30,000 lifers in CA with possibility of that number roughly 20,000 have served their minimum sentence and then some. What about placing a cap on the maximum number of years these inmates can serve. It is kind of ridiculas to say we will consider you for parole after 7 years but we will hold you 27 more. When is enough time served?
Thanks so much for posting! We've been a little dead here lately and could definitely use your fresh blood! It's very clear from your post and my additional research in other threads that our main petition or vision will have to be customized for each state and possibly each county therein. No worries though people we just need to band together write the all inclusive draft and edit it and create multiple petitions with it! That is why it is important to have as many people as possible here. Remember the governments platform requires 15,000 ppl. minimum to sign any petition before they look at it and take it seriously. The more people we have here and the more we include their input in the draft the more likely we will have massive numbers behind it, supporting it, and recruiting people to sign via their social networks. Let's get to it Step One Operation Bring in the Numbers!
Old 06-03-2012, 12:15 PM

I love this thread. My concerns are just like everyone els's. Medical care is a joke, there are no family visits in federal prison and they send them so far away that the family can only visit every few months. They put alot of pressure on the families financially when they only pay $.12 an hour. Especially if they are having to pay a fine. I think the case managers need to be in contact with the families at least in the beginning to help them understand the process and what to expect. I also think that there needs to be an independant group that oversees the CO's. Too many of them take advantage or think they are better than everyone else. My husband has a very large family and church family that would sign in a heartbeat.
Old 06-03-2012, 11:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by myonlylove95 View Post
I love this thread. My concerns are just like everyone els's. Medical care is a joke, there are no family visits in federal prison and they send them so far away that the family can only visit every few months. They put alot of pressure on the families financially when they only pay $.12 an hour. Especially if they are having to pay a fine. I think the case managers need to be in contact with the families at least in the beginning to help them understand the process and what to expect. I also think that there needs to be an independant group that oversees the CO's. Too many of them take advantage or think they are better than everyone else. My husband has a very large family and church family that would sign in a heartbeat.
Thank you saying you "love this thread" validates all the hard work I am doing here! Do you have any exact experiences you can share with the group that help illustrate why these issues are of concern to you? Your idea about the case manager is excellent and none of us has brought anything like this up, thank you! I agree with you on the independent group for the Cos as well. If you have anyone that you think would contribute, sign, or get more voices in here please send them here to this thread. Thanks so much looking forward to all of your input!
Old 06-06-2012, 12:20 AM

Interested and would like to help. I am also working on something I am very passionate about. I would like anyone from Idaho and all over to visit my facebook page I have started. I am trying to get the word out and make some positive changes for everyone involved. My page web site is facebook.com/ITAG.ORG
Old 06-09-2012, 04:06 PM

I don't know if any of you have taken the Prison Wives Quiz. It asks questions about prison life and is found here: http://investigation.discovery.com/i...ison-life.html

Spoiler Alert: According to the quiz 90% of inmates are eventually released. Which makes what we are doing very important. Reform is mandatory in order to have men and women who are equipped to deal with real life once they are on the outside.
Old 07-08-2012, 03:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay1
Hey there! I hadn't checked on this thread for a while but I'm about to write a complaint to the U.S. Department of Justice for inhumane treatment. It is 19 degrees where my man is at and they don't give them any sweats or sweatshirts because he is in the hole, he has the same needs as someone in GP. One blanket not to mention their sorry ass blankets, that's all they get. So him and some other inmates are writing letters to this division and to the U.S. Deputy who is in charge of overseeing private facilities in Southern Calif. good luck to all of you and keep me updated.
Sad!!! It took a hunger strike a few years back in PB to get beanies and jackets for the snow!!!