Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > ALABAMA > Alabama Prisons & Jails > Kilby Correctional Facility (Reception Center) - Alabama
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Kilby Correctional Facility (Reception Center) - Alabama Topics and discussion specific to Kilby Correctional Facility, the ADOC reception center for men, in Mt. Meigs, Alabama.

Old 03-28-2008, 05:22 PM

Red face What should happen next? Confused! When will he go to Kilby?

Our son was sentenced January , 2008 to a 3 year sentence with credit given for over 200 days in Etowah County Detention Center. After I bugged the Information Officer, Brian Corbett, the County finally "found" his file and e-mailed his record electronically to Montgomery. He continues to sit in ECDC. Every week he thinks he will be able to go to Kilby to be processed in. He was told by two lawyers and a court clerk that he would be "released soon" yet his EOS was FINALLY posted two weeks ago and is in October, 2008. Will he be paroled out? Will he be sent to work release? When will he EVER go to Kilby? This was his first time in trouble....we were led to believe that he would spend 1/3 of his sentence in jail, but that would mean he would be out in May, 2008. What's up with this 10/08? Brian Corbett said that unless he is paroled he will be released 10/08. That would mean he will have served 15+ mos. for a 36 month sentence. That is more then 1/3. His timesheet reads that he gets 40 days for each month....what does that mean? Thanks for any help you can give us!
Sponsored Links
Old 03-28-2008, 10:42 PM
Babyface and Babygirl

Hi Mommy...you should try posting in the MI forum because every state is so different. Here, in CA they get 1/3 county time and 1/2 State time, but I'm going through the same thing. My Husband has been in County since Christmas Day and he only had 27 days left as of today before he was released and they just took him to State so now I have NO idea when he's supposed to come home...But, check with your local forum, maybe they could help more...Good Luck and I hope your son comes home REAL SOON!!!
Old 03-29-2008, 06:38 AM

He is in the Alabama system where he lives...just I live in Michigan. Can someone from Alabama respond to this please? Thx!
Old 03-29-2008, 01:46 PM

Default In Alabama

Mommy W,
My fiancee sat in a county jail for right @ 3 months before he was sent to Kilby for state processing. We were told at his sentencing that he would only serve about 4 months and then placed on work release or community corrections. Now that he is in the ADOC system they classified him under his arrest charge and not his actual charge and they are telling us he will not be released prior to the 18 month sentence that was handed down when the judge sentenced him. I believe the sheet you are looking at may have what they call "good time" credit. In Alabama some (let me emphasize SOME) are eligible for the "good time" credit. I am now assuming that means if they tell you the truth about what charges they will be actually classified on. They will put the release date as the worst case senerio in your case. Then, they have the "good time" points as well as parole hearings (for those that qualify) and that can change the release date. I am not sure what your sons situation is but believe me when I say, " They don't tell you the truth about things!" If you are like me, you file motions, beg and plea with attorneys, pay more money and the most important thing I have done and must continue to do is PRAY!!!!!
Your son will be able to give you more information than you will ever be able to find out on your own once he goes to classification at Kilby. We found that the rules changed and everything we were told was not true in my sweethearts case. I believe different charges are classified in different ways so truthfully unless someone has the same exact issue you have they may not be able to answer this question with confidence they will be giving you the right answer. I will be praying for you and your son. If I were you, I would try to reach his attorney and get the best answers he can give you concerning your sons specific case. I wish I could tell you something that would be more helpful but I believe alot of us feel that once they go to the ADOC anything can happen as far as where they send them, for how long, ect.

It is not about the pain we endure. It is about the power within us to overcome it!
Old 03-29-2008, 09:24 PM

Frontlinelady,
Thx a bunch....your comments are very helpful! We have indeed been mislead by two attorneys who don't know what will or did or could happen...they seem to guess alot which is so frustrating. Yes, we have paid big bucks for really nothing! Our praying is consistent and very strong and our son is very strong also. So far his security level reads: No classification and his custody: OTW-C means "STRAIGHT HONOR CAMP" so says an old timer - its all Greek to us! Every Tuesday and Thursday he thinks he will be the next to go to Kilby - it will be 3 mos. the first of April.
He supposedly gets 40 days for 30 - good time credit which means little to us. I have contacted the Information officer who tells me to contact the County Court Clerk who gives me little info. The lawyers' words are pretty worthless for all that they have told us has not come true. Isn't this just the tougest darn situation?? Thx for your input!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mommy W For This Useful Post:
alwayslovehim06 (03-08-2012), emotionalmama (04-09-2008)
Old 04-01-2008, 09:21 PM

Default Always good to have God on your side

Keep your chin up and keep praying. I will be praying for your son and you as well. I admit that I never believed I would be where I am nor my sweetheart where he is today. I now that in God's time we will have the answers we seek and this test will be an awesome testimony for the Glory of the Lord.

It is not about the pain we endure. It is about the power within us to overcome it!
Old 04-02-2008, 06:37 PM

'Will do and you also...still no word about his transport to Kilby! The waiting must be just terrible for them! hang in there and thanks for all your kind words!!
Old 04-02-2008, 07:00 PM
vamom

I can identify with your plight. I hired "the best" Montgomery lawyers and was mainly given misinformation. There was amazing incompetence and the judicial system does whatever they want to, so just keep on top of it. Read some Alabama forums when you get time. They are much more informative than my "big name" lawyers.
Old 04-03-2008, 09:34 AM

RKERED,
Really....and we have a well known birmingham lawyer "on hold" right now for some other issues that will be dealt with at some point in time. This is AMERICA not Russia, China, or Viet Nam! I will speak up until something is done......there is no reason for most of this deceitfulness except for money hungry people! Its absolutely disgusting! Thanks for your input!! Grrrr!!
Old 04-07-2008, 08:27 PM

Default Has He Made It To Bibb Yet?

They told my sweetie he was going to Fountain in Atmore, AL where he would be closer to home. I was just curious if your son has made it to Bibb or if they sent him somewhere else????

Old 04-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Frontlinelady,

He is still at Etowah County and was praying to be on the "train" this AM. The Info Officer said last week it should be this week...a CO in Etowah said yesterday he would be on the next "train". He has seen those in court the same day as he (Jan) leave mos. ago. They refuse to give him his necessary meds - we will address that once he is out! The COs don't like him because he is a Yankee so they call him....we did not know what they were talking about...seriously !! Anyway...his EOS is 10/08 which is a shock to us. We think he will go to Work Release somewhere but are not positive. He wants to be paroled but we fear he will not be paroled to Michigan and if so will take longer! He has a condo in AL waiting for him...the whole thing is the biggest MESS! We are shocked at the outcome of all this! No consistencies in the punishments or anything related except inconsistencies!!

Last edited by Mommy W; 04-09-2008 at 09:52 AM..
Old 04-09-2008, 12:16 PM

Default Inconsitencies

I know what you are talking about lady! It took an act of congress to get my sweetie out of county and into the state processing facility. Our county jail is a pure hell hole. My sweetheart did not see sunshine for over 70 days before they moved him to the processing facility. The day they moved him it was raining and I went to pick up his personal items from the county jail before I came into work. I remember walking in the rain and looking into the sky to feel the rain on my face and I knew he had just walked where I was walking to get on the transport van. I rejoiced that he too had felt the rain on his face for the first time in 70 days.
His attorney lied to us as well concerning many things and we found out yesterday he has lied to us agian. He told us he filed a motion to request a change in sentence. My mother in law called the judges secretary and no motion has been filed! Unbelieveable!!! They have clssified my sweetheart with the original arrest charges so he cannot go to work release, community corrections, or a lower level prison and has been told we will have to stay @ Bibb for the complete sentence! They also told him if he took the plea bargain for a lesser charge he would never hear anything about the original arrest charge. That is the only reason he took the plea bargain and did not go to trial on this. He told me we would have fought this if they would have told him the truth! They convienced him to plea guilty on a lesser charge on something he did not do to begin with on a bucket full of lies! Sorry, I am passionate about this but this is my sweetheart they are playing God with! I feel your frustration, I really do.
The only thing that keeps me going is my faith that God will turn this tragedy into a major slap in the devil's face!

Old 04-10-2008, 12:31 AM

Mommy, My husband did 7 years in prison and just got out December 2007. If your sons release date is October 2008 he should not have to be on parobation. You need to contact the county comissioner where ever your son is at and tell them they what has been going on and he should be moved quick.... That is what I done and my husband was transfered within 2 days. Good Luck!!!

I Love you Donovan... Always and Forever!!!!

Old 04-10-2008, 08:40 AM

Frontlinelady and I love Donovan,
Thanks again for your kindness. The latest: I contacted the Governor and got a letter from him Saturday telling me to contact the Commissioner Allen, so I did. I talked to my son last night and he hopes and prays it was this AM that he left. He just wants to get out of the HELL HOLE and move forward with work release or whatever they have in mind for him.

If his EOS is 10/22 and this is 4/08 - he gets 40 days good time per 30....do either of you know what may or could or should or might or will happen? What are some possibilities? His 3 kids have not seen him for over a year.....Thx again for your unreal support!
Old 04-10-2008, 08:43 PM

With him having so little time left, he may stay in the county.

Old 04-11-2008, 05:52 AM

Smile stephrn

Thx for your reply! As it turned out, he was able to get on a "train" yesterday after one day short of 3 mos. - of course we wanted him out of that "pit" and did all we could do to get him moved. He called twice yesterday from Kilby, because we had some money on the phone - GLOBAL TELL LINK - 1-800-483-8314 -for those of you who need the number! He will be processed in and we "think" sent to work release maybe within a month. He sounds much better for it is the first time he is able to breathe fresh air and there are about 100 beds in the huge dorm room vs, 2-3 men in a small 2 person cell. He said that he can't call until tonight because he has many tests to take today - medical, psychological, etc. He can smoke also which was taken away from them "cold turkey" April 1, 2008 at the county level. I was able to put money on his store account by using Western Union - if one can't figure it out, they have live chat who will walk you through the tabs. I received an e-mail within minutes that the money was put in his account! So far...so good! Thx again for your input!
Old 04-11-2008, 05:26 PM

To: Mommy W

Look at his time sheet. He will have a long date and a short date on it. You say he has done 200 days in the County. He did not start earning goodtime on the 3 years until AFTER he was sentenced. How long was he in the County BEFORE he was sentenced awaiting trial? That is where you are getting confused. If he has a time sheet and he should, look at the date of conviction and then look at the jail credit.

On a straight sentence like that, the GOOD TIME does not start until after he was sentenced. The days that he sat there in the county prior to sentencing, will come off the front end of the sentence. Let me explain, I know it gets confusing.

He has a 36 month sentence. Lets just say he was out on bond, went to trial and made a plea that same day. His goodtime would have started then, and he would have E.O.S. the sentnce in about 12 months, usually 4 months for every year given.

Lets see if I go this right, he was sentenced to 3 years in Jan of 2008, and had 200 days of jail credit he was given credit for. You say he will E.O.S. in October of 2008,, which is 10 months, and he has 6 months of jail credit ( 200 days ). Yeah that is about right. He just didn't get any good time on the 200 days jail credit, which gives him a total incarceration time of a little over 16 months. If he would have got to Court and made an immediate plea, then his goodtime would have started immediately, and he would have been out 2 months earlier, in late July of 2008 or early August.

By law they are suspose to tranfer an inmate within 30 days AFTER sentencing, but they have been holding them in the County because of prison overcrowding.

I do not want to burst your bubble, but he will probally not make parole with only 6 months left to go before he will E.O.S.

I have been in prison here in Alabama, worked in the law library and saw these type situations all the time. This may be working out for the best for him. Etowah County is air conditioned, and I can assure you that it is getting to the point at this time of year where the temperatures in those dorms at Kilby and the other prisons are about 90 to 95 degrees, even NOW, and it will get a lot worse as we get closer to summer. With him having only 6 months to go, October of 2008, then he would proablly go to Kilby for 3 or 4 weeks, then out to Ventress or someplace like that for a SAP program and finish his sentence there. With that short of time to go he won't go to a work release, but maybe, just maybe to an "HONOR CAMP" and I really, really hate to use that term "HONOR CAMP". It is nothing but a forced labor camp, ther is nothing honorable about it. You work out in that hot summer sun for free for some municipality, or yuou work out on the prison farm in the fields. Pray that he satys in the County until he E.O.S. in October, and tell him when he gets to Kilby to sign up for a sap class, that will keep him out of the prison farms in the hot Alabama summer sun, and he can sit back and just relax, and wait for his time for a SAP class to start, and be out of there in 6 months.

Ypou see what I mean?

Jeff
Old 04-12-2008, 07:50 AM

Jeff 123,
This is all helpful info and I thank you. He moved to Kilby 2 days ago. He sounds much better - you see there was much going on in county that will be dealt with at a later date. Its caused "abuse".

Two inmates who were in court with him in January were moved much faster (2 mos ago) and ended up in work release and their EOS's were a month before his, so we think that he may be on WR, although on his timesheet there was reference to something that an old timer said is "straight honor camp", so that could be. He graduated from SAP - was in CC 140 plus days which he got no credit for. (His former judge lawyer said he woul!) He reported to CC for all those mos. and at the end (12/7/07) locked him up for a questionable urine sample. It went to lab and came back negative but they said it was positive so he sat and waited locked up and waited until 1/11/08 to go to trial when they put a 3 year sentence on him. His total jail credit is 206 days! He was incarcerated about 2-3 weeks longer then 206 days! The Judge wanted to send him to rehab...CC said NO! We are wondering what the intentions of CC are - certainly not rehabilitation of the ill. They want to lock them up! We appreciate your attention to the detail and wonder if you know what determines the amount of good time? He got 40 for 30 but I have read that some get up to 75 per 30.
Also, we have always heard that sentences are 1/3 so why is his so long? One more question: Who determines all these details...judge? CC?

Thx again...your info has been very helpful!

Last edited by Mommy W; 04-12-2008 at 07:52 AM..
Old 04-12-2008, 03:44 PM
vamom

I just said a prayer, how are things going now?
Old 04-12-2008, 04:42 PM

rkered,
Thx so much. Well...I heard from him again this AM...he had a migraine but later called and said they treated his migraine. They can't have pillows so it is difficult for him to sleep flat. He has big shoulders and a big head - HA! He sounds much better having been able to breathe fresh air and is in a big dorm room (medical) with over 100 beds, so he is feeling better! I sent money Thursday PM via Western Union and he had a receipt on his bed today that he had money in his account. He will be in Kilby in the medical area for about 7 days for tests, etc., then will be moved to another dorm. We are holding our breath for what will happen then. Thx again for praying and asking!
Old 03-06-2012, 08:31 AM

My husband is currently waiting for his "oreder" from the judge while sitting in the st clair county jail in ashville. I received a call from his lawyer Friday and he said that the judge ordered a split sentence, instead of three years, to a year and a day but complete an 8week SAP program and when he gets his certificate then he gets it to me and he'll be brought back before the judge again and probably due the rest on community corrections. The reason he is even going to kilby is because he violated the drug court program when he got a sanction for a dilute he had a tylenol. So he got the contraband charge and they kicked him out. I am so new to this we have 2 children and I am now working two jobs and I am not doing so well at making ends meet. Is there any resources that can help prison familys? Thank you to you all!
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM
WIthoutHim

To - Alwayslovehim, I'm so sorry for all your facing. I also have 2 young children and it is so difficult. I don't think anyone understands til they have been in these shoes. If you learn of any resources. Please let me know.

Good luck to you.
The Following User Says Thank You to WithoutHim For This Useful Post:
alwayslovehim06 (03-28-2012)
Old 03-30-2012, 10:29 AM

He finally got his order and he was moved from county to Bibb yesterday, from my understanding they're holding them there bc they're waiting for an opening in kilby? what was the point of taking him to Bibb why didn't they just leave him in county?
Old 04-24-2012, 02:50 PM
WIthoutHim

That makes no sense to move him to Bibb to await an opening at Kilby. In our situation, he just sat in the county jail for 3 months until there was an opening at Kilby. Maybe he will get to where he is going to be before long.
Old 04-24-2012, 10:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WithoutHim View Post
That makes no sense to move him to Bibb to await an opening at Kilby. In our situation, he just sat in the county jail for 3 months until there was an opening at Kilby. Maybe he will get to where he is going to be before long.

Yeah.. I have an update since that last post. I was told by a guard they took him to Bibb. Then I receive a call few days later from DOC Pickens County. Yeah,, he's in an Annex building waiting to be sent to kilby. rediculous,,