Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!






Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Alderson Federal Prison Camp
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Alderson Federal Prison Camp Topics & Discussions relating to the Federal Prison Camp for women in Alderson, West Virginia.

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 12-27-2011, 02:55 PM
scaredoutofmymi scaredoutofmymi is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default Just pled for 21-27 months....

Not sure where I'm going. Haven't been sentenced yet. My attorney has stated that there will be a pre-sentencing report done and the prosecutors are open to me going to a camp. I'm a first time, non-violent offender for mail fraud. I currently live in East TN where there are no camps. I was wondering if Alderson would be a good place to request to go? There is also FMC Lexington but I can't find much information about it. I'm a 35 yr old mother of 3 young boys and I'm scared out of my mind. Any information would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Melisa
Reply With Quote
Sponsored Links
  #2  
Old 12-27-2011, 09:34 PM
CdaleR4000si CdaleR4000si is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, ga.
Posts: 48
Thanks: 4
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

My wife self surrendered to Alderson about 5 months ago. I've had a crash course in all things Alderson. By and large, I think that as far as prisons go, Alderson seems to be a fairly decent place.

I usually check this forum every day, so please ask me any questions that you can think of. If I don't know the answer, I'll ask my wife (we email every day and talk on the phone every other night).

I know that you are scared, but trust me, YOU WILL GET THROUGH THIS!

Oh, FYI... There are plenty of women from Tennessee in Alderson. Depending on what part of E. Tenn, it is probably a 2 1/2 or 3 hour drive, so it is easy for family and friends to make the drive. The more visits you get, the easier the time will pass.

Please let me know if I can answer any questions for you (or for your family).

Take care
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 12-28-2011, 10:23 AM
scaredoutofmymi scaredoutofmymi is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks so much for your response. I really appreciate it. I'm so glad to know that you can e-mail each other everyday. That will help me stay in touch with my husband and children. I've been doing some research on where women are sent from this area (I live close to Knoxville), it seems to be either FPC Alderson or FCI Marianna which is in Florida. Alderson would be a lot closer for me so I'm hoping that's where I'm sent.

I do have a few questions about Alderson....

How is the visitation? I've read that visitation is available on Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. If my family comes to visit me...can they visit all those days or just one of the days?

Can I wear contacts?

I had gastric by-pass surgery a few years ago. So my diet is crucial for me to stay healthy. How strict are they on taking food with you after you eat? Or can you take breaks while at work to eat something small? I have to eat 6 small meals a day to maintain energy.

I'm hoping to SS in March of 2012. Will your wife still be there then?
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 12-28-2011, 12:30 PM
CdaleR4000si CdaleR4000si is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, ga.
Posts: 48
Thanks: 4
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Yeah, Alderson would be ideal, for your family, that shouldn't be a bad drive at all. Wen your family (or friends) come for visits, they can typically visit on all 4 days. I have heard that the COs can cut visits short, or turn visitors away, but I have not heard of any instances where they actually have done so. Theoretically, if they visitation room gets too crowded, they would go to the visitors that signed in earliest and tell them that they have to leave, to allow people arriving later to visit for a while. I have heard that IF this were to happen, they take into consideration things like how far they drove from and how often the inmate recieves visitors. Again, I've never heard of anyone being turned away. It was jam packed on Christmas, and nobody was cut short. What I found nice, is they give visitation priority over all other activities, so even if you are scheduled to work, your visit gets precedence.

There are a lot of rules (written and unwritten) that your family will need to know, I'll work on seeing if I can write something up about it (it's very convoluted). If you do get designated to Alderson, we can go into it more. It may be easier for me to explain over the phone. If you want, you can PM me for my phone number and I can tell you, or your husband or parents all about it.

One great thing to note, is the Alderson Hospitalty House. It is a guest house that is operated by a Catholic Charitable Program. A young couple, Brian and Kathleen DeRouen (and their little one, Micah) run the house. Your loved ones can make a reservation and have a place to stay while visiting. The cook dinner on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, and provide breakfast (cereals, donuts, coffee, etc...). The house runs on donations, so when they checkout, they leave whatever they can afford. Brian will tell them, if they cannot afford to pay anything, that is fine, but if they CAN, it helps other families that might not be able to afford it. It is really an amazing place! For me, as the husband of an inmate, its so nice to be able to meet all of these other people who are in the same situation. I have some very supportive friends, but they do not really understand what we go through. The families at the Hospitality House know. It is a place of healing for us. Your family will meet some amazing peple there.

No contacts are allowed, unless you have a well documented record of a very specific eye problem (I cannot remember what it is called, but I had never heard of it). My wife wears (wore) contacts, we ended up getting her some cheap frames.

The food will be a problem, the dining hall serves food that is pretty bad, they rarely serve anything that is nutritionally sound. My wife had a very serious surgery before she went in and as a result she gets sick if she eats greasy foods (she has no gall bladder). She rarely eats in the dining halls, pretty much lives on tuna, grits, oatmeal, and whatever else she can get from the commisary. If I recall, I think she told me that they can take a piece of fruit with them, out of the dining hall. As far as taking a snack break while working, I think that it really depends on what job you get assigned to. As long as you have some money on your books for commisary, you should be able to come up with the snacks that you need.

My wife will be there untill mid December.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 12-29-2011, 06:54 PM
scaredoutofmymi scaredoutofmymi is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Yes! Any information you can give us would be helpful. My attorney is going to let me know early next week about my court date. It will hopefully be before January 20. So, I will let you know when that happens and maybe we can start talking about more specifics. I'm hoping in the pre-sentencing report that I can make my request for Alderson known...but not sure how much of an impact that will have.

Thanks for much for all of your help! I really, really appreciate it.

I'm so scared...this has been hell for me and husband. I'm just ready to get it over with.
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 12-29-2011, 09:15 PM
CdaleR4000si CdaleR4000si is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Atlanta, ga.
Posts: 48
Thanks: 4
Thanked 27 Times in 17 Posts
Default

Obviously I don't know anything about you other than the mail fraud charge, but if you have any sort of history with drugs, you may want to get that noted in the PSR. If you can get into RDAP, you can qualify for a reduction of your sentence (I think 21-27 months would get you either a 6 or 9 month reduction). Your charges don't need to be drug related to get into RDAP, but your PSR will need to show a history of drug use. And a recommendation for RDAP from the Judge doesn't hurt either. Just something to consider.

I would say being a first time offender, non-violent, I think that Alderson is a very likely designation. I'll keep my fingers crossed for you.

I know that it may sound strange, but I think that what you and your family are going through right now, is just about the hardest part. At least thats how my wife and I felt. The uncertainty and constant fear was almost unbearable. When my wife was sentenced, we both felt like a weight had been lifted. After her sentencing, we had about 1 month to prepare for her to SS, that last month was the most peaceful that our lives had been since the whole thing started.

In the meantime, enjoy every minute that you can with your family. The BOP will get their 21-27 months, but until you SS, these next few months belong to you!
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 01-02-2012, 07:56 AM
DebAP's Avatar
DebAP DebAP is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2005
Location: Derwood, Maryland
Posts: 75
Thanks: 5
Thanked 24 Times in 14 Posts
Default Questions about Lexington?

I found this post I did from back in 2009 - this gives you the flavor of what it was like for someone who self surrendered to Lexington Camp.


Lexington Self Surrender Update
I received a letter today from Donna - who self surrendered to Lexington FMC Camp last month. I told her that I would post her experiences on PTO - and will relay - in her own words - what she's been through thus far: "Nothing is as bad as you first week. My first day was pure hell. I drove to Kentucky from Ohio and it took about 5 1/2 hours. My husband drove and I cried the whole way. I was so scared. When we got here I made him drive past it becaues I wasn't ready yet. We drove around for a while and when I was able to pull myself together we pulled in. We pulled up the the camp and a white truck met us at the front. He directed us to drive behind him and follow him over to the men's prison next door. (This is the really scary part) - He instructed us to pull over in the parking lot and wait for another guard to pull up to give us instructions.
A woman guard pulled up behind us and we both got out of the car. I gave my husband a last kiss and hug - and walked away. That was the hardest part. I walked up to the guard and she instructed me to walk across the parking lot and INTO the mens prison. I must have given her a look like ' are you kidding me'? . She smiled at me and told me that I wouldn't be staying there. You have to go in there to be 'processed'. It's called R&D for receiving and discharge. The mens prison has the big fence with the big coils of razor wire all on the top. It's all very scary. You have to walk ALL BY YOURSELF through the 'hall' of razor wire to reach the gate. When I reached the gate another guard met me outside of the gate. It was another woman. She made me spread my feet and arms and she patted me down. The worst part of this whole thing is the men behind the fence. They have an area right by the gate where they all hang out. The minute they see a woman coming in to be processed they get rowdy. They will call out to you and yell at you. As well as everyone in the building as they are all in the windows. They will whistle, hoot, yell and say a lot of disgusting things. You just have to ignore it. I kept my head down and kept walking with the guard.
After I was patted down at the front gate another male guard came up to the second gate that was inside the fence. I had to verify my birthday and my name. He then let me in through the second gate. This is when the men tend to act up. They are only about 10-15 feet away from you. The guard I was following was very nice. He kept telling me -reassuring me, that this was not where I would be staying. He led me to a door on the inside of th ebuilding and led me down into a basement. This is strictly R&D. I gave him my cash (for commissary), my medicine, address & phone list and surrender paper. A couple of girls were saved by bringing that paper. The BOP had earlier surrender dates in the computer and had already issued warrants for their arrest. Their surrender papers saved them." REMEMBER TO BRING YOUR SURRENDER PAPER WITH YOU IF YOU SELF SURRENDER. "Bring cash with you. It really takes $300 to $400 to get you started. They provide you with NOTHING. DO NOT bring all of your medicine. Just BRING THE EMPTY BOTTLES. They throw everyone's medicine away. - Back to R&D - they take your picture, take your fingerprints, etc. They had me see a Nurse to review my current medication. I then had to fill out a bunch of paperwork. The last thing they do is the strip search. This scared me at first but turned out to be a piece of cake. I was lucky and had a wonderful woman guard who told me that she was just as uncomfortable with this as I was. She did her best to put me at ease. Tell everyone to wear WHITE UNDERWEAR AND WHITE BRA WITH NO UNDERWIRE. They will let you keep those. Before I go any further - they WILL NOT let you bring in any type of earrings now. I had teeny tiny gold studs and she made me take them out. You also cannot wear any cross necklaces either. You also cannot keep any white t-shirts, socks or white tennis shoes. They made me give them everything I was told I could wear outside of the underwear. After all of my clothes were off she had me lift each breast - show her the bottom of my feet - between my toes -. She had me run my fingers through my hair - open my mouth and she looked behind my ears. Finally - she asked me to turn around, squat and cough. That was it. It all went by really fast. She then gave me my underwear to put back on - and she went to find some clothes to wear. At the womens camp everyone wears "greens" everyday. This consists of green scrub top and pants. When you first go through R&D they only have mens prison clothes which are a khaki scrub top and pants. Needless to say the fit is terrible. The shoes they give you are generic cloth, thin blue loafer-like slip ons. This is always a sign of someone new --- those shoes! When you are done there they give you an ID Card with you name, picture, and inmate # on it and you're good to go (The money you bring is put on the ID card like a debit card).
A guard escorts you out and a white van is waiting for you outside of the gates (Oh before you walk out they give you a bed roll which consists of your blanket, 2 sheets, pillowcase and 2 towels and a washcloth. Also a small bad of generic supplies to get you through until you can go to commissary). You go over to the camp and go inside into the guards room. They issue your bed # and take you to it. Then that's it - they leave you there and you're on your own."
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 01-02-2012, 09:28 AM
katybug katybug is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jan 2012
Location: bainville, mt
Posts: 1
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Hi, I spent 7 yrs w the feds n traveled a lot via con-air, I must tell you, Anderson, was the worse.Marianna wud b my best suggestion for you. The women who came to alderson from there described it as miserable as did I coming from Dublin n victorville. The officers r all related, not professional like the military officers, they don't ship the inmates who fight to the SHU, one building has air, the other doesn't, u have to climb hills to com.e back from food service, commissary, education, .....I hated it, the women r rude, loud, n terribly disrespective. Coleman sounds decent, shoot....Hazelton even sounded better!
I know its scary, but just do ur time, the time does go fast (maybe not day by day, but looking back over wks, it does), u cant wear contacts unless u get a outside Dr.s direct order that u can't wear glasses. U will meet some awesome women, true lifelong ones. This is ur time, use it to reflect and come out a better person vs a bitter one.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 01-03-2012, 07:11 AM
scaredoutofmymi scaredoutofmymi is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Nov 2011
Location: Tennessee, United States
Posts: 4
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Thanks katybug...can u give me more info on Marianna?
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 01-11-2012, 08:28 PM
crazyoldmac crazyoldmac is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: North Carolina
Posts: 44
Thanks: 1
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Was at Alderson for 13 months, if you have any questions, just ask!
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 03-07-2012, 01:06 PM
dekatboss's Avatar
dekatboss dekatboss is offline
Becky
 

Join Date: Mar 2010
Location: Louisiana
Posts: 60
Thanks: 2
Thanked 5 Times in 5 Posts
Default

Hello...The handbook is pretty accurate. When your first get here youwill be living on the bustop or in the fishbowl. Its an area in the front of the range that really has no privacy becasue its out in the open (bustop) or in a room with 8 people (fishbowl) this is temporary...just for the two weeks you are in Admission and Orientation (A+O) You will be in range A# when you first arrive. We live in cubicles. They have no doors but its just you and your bunky in there and you will be moved once you have completed A+O. You will either stay in one of the four A ranges if you are designated a valley inmate or one of the two top floor B ranges if you are a ridge inmate and if you are RDAP (the drug program) you will be in one of the bottom two B building ranges, but if an addiction is not noted in your PSI, they WILL NOT let you in!!!!!!
There is a WIDE diversity of people here...No racial tension much at all I have to admit. Of course you have your cliques but thats anywhere. And of course there are a select few who have racial issues but its nothing at all to worry about and they get weeded out of here pretty fast. Leopard cant hide its spots for long. Staff is actually more attitudinal and condesending than the inmates.
There a a few college courses (med coding and billing, med office assistant, transcription, cosmotology) but they go by your out date so if you have alot of time, you kind of sit around doing nothing...I gotta be honest. There are alot of silly hobby classes and stuff...take them..it passes the time. You cant bring any sneakers with you. You have to buy everything here. Sneakers are 50 to 60 dollars depending on what you get. We have MP3 players here now with FM radio, they are 69 dollars and music ranges from 1 to 2 dollars. Regular radios are 50 bucks. You need one or the other to watch television.
The worst part about this is that you are away from your family. This is doable. There are alot of unfair things around here but its prison. You have to exercise your rights. Let me know when you are coming and your name. Im Raye, Im in B4..you can always come and have someone get me out of my range (we arent allowed to go into another range) If you have any other questions....just ask. Keep your head up..this too shall pass
__________________
Phillipians 4:13 I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 03-24-2012, 10:33 PM
Macncheese Macncheese is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Michigan
Posts: 10
Thanks: 0
Thanked 1 Time in 1 Post
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredoutofmymi View Post
Not sure where I'm going. Haven't been sentenced yet. My attorney has stated that there will be a pre-sentencing report done and the prosecutors are open to me going to a camp. I'm a first time, non-violent offender for mail fraud. I currently live in East TN where there are no camps. I was wondering if Alderson would be a good place to request to go? There is also FMC Lexington but I can't find much information about it. I'm a 35 yr old mother of 3 young boys and I'm scared out of my mind. Any information would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Melisa
Melisa
Did you get your designation yet?
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 05-08-2012, 10:03 AM
JRW29 JRW29 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: May 2012
Location: pittsburgh pa
Posts: 3
Thanks: 0
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default hi melisa

Hi melisa, iam a 42 yr old mom with 2 kids and i am sentenced to go to alderson on may the 3rd for preparing false income tax returns. I too am scared out of my mind, lets keep in touch maybe we will be there around the same time.
Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredoutofmymi View Post
Not sure where I'm going. Haven't been sentenced yet. My attorney has stated that there will be a pre-sentencing report done and the prosecutors are open to me going to a camp. I'm a first time, non-violent offender for mail fraud. I currently live in East TN where there are no camps. I was wondering if Alderson would be a good place to request to go? There is also FMC Lexington but I can't find much information about it. I'm a 35 yr old mother of 3 young boys and I'm scared out of my mind. Any information would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Melisa
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 07-11-2012, 01:10 PM
crazycameleon crazycameleon is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: charleston, wv USA
Posts: 7
Thanks: 0
Thanked 2 Times in 1 Post
Unhappy Just sentenced

I got sentenced July 9th to 12 mos and 1 day and the judge recommended that I go to Alderson. Any new recent updated information will be helpful I have only done 10 days in one of the regional jails here in wv for DUI and the time was easy cause i knew i was getting out in 10 days. I could see how some of the "weaker" inmates would get picked on and commisary stolen from them. Is this a problem at Alderson? With such a short sentence what programs will be available to me? I need to lose some weight so the long walk seems like something that I need anyway. Please any info will help im hate not knowing.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 12-04-2012, 03:15 PM
kittywill kittywill is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 29
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default

My presentence report says I have 17 points which means 24-30 months; do you think I will I do this amount of time or will the judge go below this time?
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 12-21-2012, 09:16 PM
kittywill kittywill is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 29
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Wink hope to meet you

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRW29 View Post
Hi melisa, iam a 42 yr old mom with 2 kids and i am sentenced to go to alderson on may the 3rd for preparing false income tax returns. I too am scared out of my mind, lets keep in touch maybe we will be there around the same time.
if i come to alderson I will try to find you. Not sure yet where Im going Im sure either place is like being in Hell.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 12-23-2012, 12:16 AM
peacelily peacelily is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: fl, usa
Posts: 28
Thanks: 8
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

Kitty, my presentence report had 27-33 months and I got 12 months 1 day, which is a little over 10 months.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peacelily For This Useful Post:
kittywill (12-25-2012)
  #18  
Old 12-25-2012, 10:24 PM
kittywill kittywill is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Sep 2012
Location: SC, USA
Posts: 67
Thanks: 29
Thanked 16 Times in 9 Posts
Default im praying

My attorney whom is a pd say that they dont aways go below the guide line. Im in south carolina and its federal. How about yours?
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 12-29-2012, 01:43 AM
peacelily peacelily is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: fl, usa
Posts: 28
Thanks: 8
Thanked 16 Times in 12 Posts
Default

I'm in Mississippi and its federal too.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to peacelily For This Useful Post:
kittywill (01-10-2013)
  #20  
Old 12-31-2012, 10:04 AM
mtoles's Avatar
mtoles mtoles is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Tennessee
Posts: 65
Thanks: 66
Thanked 65 Times in 37 Posts
Default Aliceville FCI is 3 hours from Memphis

Quote:
Originally Posted by scaredoutofmymi View Post
Not sure where I'm going. Haven't been sentenced yet. My attorney has stated that there will be a pre-sentencing report done and the prosecutors are open to me going to a camp. I'm a first time, non-violent offender for mail fraud. I currently live in East TN where there are no camps. I was wondering if Alderson would be a good place to request to go? There is also FMC Lexington but I can't find much information about it. I'm a 35 yr old mother of 3 young boys and I'm scared out of my mind. Any information would be most helpful.

Thanks,

Melisa
There is a new prison in Aliceville Al that will open this spring. It is a female camp and low facility.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 01-02-2013, 11:26 AM
Diesel4875 Diesel4875 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: IL USA
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

If you have no priors in certain instances you may receive the lower end of the sentencing range. Ask your lawyer to inquire about Alternative sentencing options. There use to be shock incarceration program but it has changed;

CHAPTER FIVE - DETERMINING THE SENTENCE

PART F - SENTENCING OPTIONS
§5F1.7. Shock Incarceration Program (Policy Statement)
The court, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §§ 3582(a) and 3621(b)(4), may recommend that a defendant who meets the criteria set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 4046 participate in a shock incarceration program.
Commentary
Background. Section 4046 of title 18, United States Code, provides --
"(a) the Bureau of Prisons may place in a shock incarceration program any person who is sentenced to a term of more than 12, but not more than 30 months, if such person consents to that placement.
(b)For such initial portion of the term of imprisonment as the Bureau of Prisons may determine, not to exceed six months, an inmate in the shock incarceration program shall be required to -
(1)adhere to a highly regimented schedule that provides the strict discipline, physical training, hard labor, drill, and ceremony characteristic of military basic training; and
(2)participate in appropriate job training and educational programs (including literacy programs) and drug, alcohol, and other counseling programs.
(c)An inmate who in the judgment of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons has successfully completed the required period of shock incarceration shall remain in the custody of the Bureau for such period (not to exceed the remainder of the prison term otherwise required by law to be served by that inmate), and under such conditions, as the Bureau deems appropriate. 18 U.S.C. § 4046."
The Bureau of Prisons has issued an operations memorandum (174-90 (5390), November 20, 1990) that outlines eligibility criteria and procedures for the implementation of this program (which the Bureau of Prisons has titled "intensive confinement program"). Under these procedures, the Bureau will not place a defendant in an intensive confinement program unless the sentencing court has approved, either at the time of sentencing or upon consultation after the Bureau has determined that the defendant is otherwise eligible. In return for the successful completion of the "intensive confinement" portion of the program, the defendant is eligible to serve the remainder of his term of imprisonment in a graduated release program comprised of community corrections center and home confinement phases.

You must make sure your judge approve you for this. I believe you do 1/2 time in and 1/2 in home detention - but make sure your lawyer get all details spelled out and in writing.

Also if you have restitution make sure you get an order to postpone payment until 90 days after your release from BOP. If not BOP will take it out of your commissary account so watch your spending.

If you need any further assistance just contact me ill be glad to help. I was released in September.
Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Diesel4875 For This Useful Post:
kittywill (01-10-2013)
  #22  
Old 01-02-2013, 11:27 AM
Diesel4875 Diesel4875 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Jun 2011
Location: IL USA
Posts: 78
Thanks: 0
Thanked 11 Times in 10 Posts
Default

And I was at Alderson and you will be okay. It is a very open campus that looks like a college. No barbed wire fencing. I had no problems but let me know if you have any further questions.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:34 AM
Nita 721 Nita 721 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by CdaleR4000si View Post
Yeah, Alderson would be ideal, for your family, that shouldn't be a bad drive at all. Wen your family (or friends) come for visits, they can typically visit on all 4 days. I have heard that the COs can cut visits short, or turn visitors away, but I have not heard of any instances where they actually have done so. Theoretically, if they visitation room gets too crowded, they would go to the visitors that signed in earliest and tell them that they have to leave, to allow people arriving later to visit for a while. I have heard that IF this were to happen, they take into consideration things like how far they drove from and how often the inmate recieves visitors. Again, I've never heard of anyone being turned away. It was jam packed on Christmas, and nobody was cut short. What I found nice, is they give visitation priority over all other activities, so even if you are scheduled to work, your visit gets precedence.

There are a lot of rules (written and unwritten) that your family will need to know, I'll work on seeing if I can write something up about it (it's very convoluted). If you do get designated to Alderson, we can go into it more. It may be easier for me to explain over the phone. If you want, you can PM me for my phone number and I can tell you, or your husband or parents all about it.

One great thing to note, is the Alderson Hospitalty House. It is a guest house that is operated by a Catholic Charitable Program. A young couple, Brian and Kathleen DeRouen (and their little one, Micah) run the house. Your loved ones can make a reservation and have a place to stay while visiting. The cook dinner on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday nights, and provide breakfast (cereals, donuts, coffee, etc...). The house runs on donations, so when they checkout, they leave whatever they can afford. Brian will tell them, if they cannot afford to pay anything, that is fine, but if they CAN, it helps other families that might not be able to afford it. It is really an amazing place! For me, as the husband of an inmate, its so nice to be able to meet all of these other people who are in the same situation. I have some very supportive friends, but they do not really understand what we go through. The families at the Hospitality House know. It is a place of healing for us. Your family will meet some amazing peple there.

No contacts are allowed, unless you have a well documented record of a very specific eye problem (I cannot remember what it is called, but I had never heard of it). My wife wears (wore) contacts, we ended up getting her some cheap frames.

The food will be a problem, the dining hall serves food that is pretty bad, they rarely serve anything that is nutritionally sound. My wife had a very serious surgery before she went in and as a result she gets sick if she eats greasy foods (she has no gall bladder). She rarely eats in the dining halls, pretty much lives on tuna, grits, oatmeal, and whatever else she can get from the commisary. If I recall, I think she told me that they can take a piece of fruit with them, out of the dining hall. As far as taking a snack break while working, I think that it really depends on what job you get assigned to. As long as you have some money on your books for commisary, you should be able to come up with the snacks that you need.

My wife will be there untill mid December.
hello...i have to ss next month can you call me or email me...thankz
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:37 AM
Nita 721 Nita 721 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4875 View Post
If you have no priors in certain instances you may receive the lower end of the sentencing range. Ask your lawyer to inquire about Alternative sentencing options. There use to be shock incarceration program but it has changed;

CHAPTER FIVE - DETERMINING THE SENTENCE

PART F - SENTENCING OPTIONS
§5F1.7. Shock Incarceration Program (Policy Statement)
The court, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §§ 3582(a) and 3621(b)(4), may recommend that a defendant who meets the criteria set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 4046 participate in a shock incarceration program.
Commentary
Background. Section 4046 of title 18, United States Code, provides --
"(a) the Bureau of Prisons may place in a shock incarceration program any person who is sentenced to a term of more than 12, but not more than 30 months, if such person consents to that placement.
(b)For such initial portion of the term of imprisonment as the Bureau of Prisons may determine, not to exceed six months, an inmate in the shock incarceration program shall be required to -
(1)adhere to a highly regimented schedule that provides the strict discipline, physical training, hard labor, drill, and ceremony characteristic of military basic training; and
(2)participate in appropriate job training and educational programs (including literacy programs) and drug, alcohol, and other counseling programs.
(c)An inmate who in the judgment of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons has successfully completed the required period of shock incarceration shall remain in the custody of the Bureau for such period (not to exceed the remainder of the prison term otherwise required by law to be served by that inmate), and under such conditions, as the Bureau deems appropriate. 18 U.S.C. § 4046."
The Bureau of Prisons has issued an operations memorandum (174-90 (5390), November 20, 1990) that outlines eligibility criteria and procedures for the implementation of this program (which the Bureau of Prisons has titled "intensive confinement program"). Under these procedures, the Bureau will not place a defendant in an intensive confinement program unless the sentencing court has approved, either at the time of sentencing or upon consultation after the Bureau has determined that the defendant is otherwise eligible. In return for the successful completion of the "intensive confinement" portion of the program, the defendant is eligible to serve the remainder of his term of imprisonment in a graduated release program comprised of community corrections center and home confinement phases.

You must make sure your judge approve you for this. I believe you do 1/2 time in and 1/2 in home detention - but make sure your lawyer get all details spelled out and in writing.

Also if you have restitution make sure you get an order to postpone payment until 90 days after your release from BOP. If not BOP will take it out of your commissary account so watch your spending.

If you need any further assistance just contact me ill be glad to help. I was released in September.
hello can you contac
t me plz i cc next month
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 12-04-2013, 03:40 AM
Nita 721 Nita 721 is offline
Registered User
 

Join Date: Dec 2013
Location: Baltimore
Posts: 7
Thanks: 1
Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4875 View Post
If you have no priors in certain instances you may receive the lower end of the sentencing range. Ask your lawyer to inquire about Alternative sentencing options. There use to be shock incarceration program but it has changed;

CHAPTER FIVE - DETERMINING THE SENTENCE

PART F - SENTENCING OPTIONS
§5F1.7. Shock Incarceration Program (Policy Statement)
The court, pursuant to 18 U.S.C. §§ 3582(a) and 3621(b)(4), may recommend that a defendant who meets the criteria set forth in 18 U.S.C. § 4046 participate in a shock incarceration program.
Commentary
Background. Section 4046 of title 18, United States Code, provides --
"(a) the Bureau of Prisons may place in a shock incarceration program any person who is sentenced to a term of more than 12, but not more than 30 months, if such person consents to that placement.
(b)For such initial portion of the term of imprisonment as the Bureau of Prisons may determine, not to exceed six months, an inmate in the shock incarceration program shall be required to -
(1)adhere to a highly regimented schedule that provides the strict discipline, physical training, hard labor, drill, and ceremony characteristic of military basic training; and
(2)participate in appropriate job training and educational programs (including literacy programs) and drug, alcohol, and other counseling programs.
(c)An inmate who in the judgment of the Director of the Bureau of Prisons has successfully completed the required period of shock incarceration shall remain in the custody of the Bureau for such period (not to exceed the remainder of the prison term otherwise required by law to be served by that inmate), and under such conditions, as the Bureau deems appropriate. 18 U.S.C. § 4046."
The Bureau of Prisons has issued an operations memorandum (174-90 (5390), November 20, 1990) that outlines eligibility criteria and procedures for the implementation of this program (which the Bureau of Prisons has titled "intensive confinement program"). Under these procedures, the Bureau will not place a defendant in an intensive confinement program unless the sentencing court has approved, either at the time of sentencing or upon consultation after the Bureau has determined that the defendant is otherwise eligible. In return for the successful completion of the "intensive confinement" portion of the program, the defendant is eligible to serve the remainder of his term of imprisonment in a graduated release program comprised of community corrections center and home confinement phases.

You must make sure your judge approve you for this. I believe you do 1/2 time in and 1/2 in home detention - but make sure your lawyer get all details spelled out and in writing.

Also if you have restitution make sure you get an order to postpone payment until 90 days after your release from BOP. If not BOP will take it out of your commissary account so watch your spending.

If you need any further assistance just contact me ill be glad to help. I was released in September.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Diesel4875 View Post
And I was at Alderson and you will be okay. It is a very open campus that looks like a college. No barbed wire fencing. I had no problems but let me know if you have any further questions.
hello can you contac
t me plz i cc next month
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:52 AM.
Copyright © 2001- 2013 Prison Talk Online
Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.7.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Website Design & Custom vBulletin Skins by: Relivo Media
Message Board Statistics