Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > CALIFORNIA > California Prison-Specific Forums > California Menís Colony (CMC) - San Luis Obispo
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

California Menís Colony (CMC) - San Luis Obispo Topic and discussion specific to CMC Ė California Menís Colony Prison in San Luis Obispo, California.

Closed Thread

Old 03-14-2012, 07:08 PM

Thanked 1,901 Times in 945 Posts

Yes you need your registration and proof of insurance. If it hasn't arrived by the week before you can go to the DMV and request a copy. If you can not pick him up they will drop him off at the bus station.
The Following User Says Thank You to DP's Girl For This Useful Post:
patswife4-ever (03-14-2012)
Sponsored Links
Old 03-14-2012, 07:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana1989
So my love sent me a letter asking me what I'd rather have him do; work or go to school?
what do you guys think? What are the programs like?
On the website it only lists "Academic: Adult Basic Education, GED, Literacy Program." and my man has a GED already so is that as far as he can go? Can't they get an Associate Degree or something?
Also, what kind of jobs do they have? What do you think benefits them the most?
TIA!
Hello Ana,

My husband was at CMC for 12 years and he finally was released a couple of months ago. While at CMC my husband actually did both....he went to school and worked. If your man is under
25 years old then he can do college courses through the prison via Palo Verde College. My husband was not under that age limit so I paid for his college education. He attended Palo Verde Community College and Coastline Community College via the distance learning program. He has a teacher at the prison proctor all of his exams. By the time he came home he had his GED and his A.A. Degree.

On top of going to college as a full time student, he also had a job inside the prisons PIA. It can be done, the inmate just needs to apply himself and be willing to take it serious.

Good luck!
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky99 For This Useful Post:
ana1989 (03-16-2012)
Old 03-14-2012, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky99

Hello Ana,

My husband was at CMC for 12 years and he finally was released a couple of months ago. While at CMC my husband actually did both....he went to school and worked. If your man is under
25 years old then he can do college courses through the prison via Palo Verde College. My husband was not under that age limit so I paid for his college education. He attended Palo Verde Community College and Coastline Community College via the distance learning program. He has a teacher at the prison proctor all of his exams. By the time he came home he had his GED and his A.A. Degree.

On top of going to college as a full time student, he also had a job inside the prisons PIA. It can be done, the inmate just needs to apply himself and be willing to take it serious.

Good luck!
Sadly, and probably another byproduct of the budget crisis, CMC no longer has proctors available. I called to inquire because Dee was interested in taking courses. If he takes courses it would have to be a completely independent endeavor requiring no proctoring or computer access. The facility no longer offers programs or assistance with programs to obtain a college degree. This was the information I was provided by inmate services department last summer.
Old 03-15-2012, 05:57 AM

The whole no proctor a available is true as to what they tell us but not true inside....if that makes sense. Some of my husbands courses did not require a proctor and the ones that did he got the proctoring done "on the under" so to speak. Do there are people at CMC East that are able to proctor, your husband himself has to find someone in there nice enough to do it for him.

Very sad the loops these men have to go through for an education. smh
Old 03-15-2012, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pinky99
The whole no proctor a available is true as to what they tell us but not true inside....if that makes sense. Some of my husbands courses did not require a proctor and the ones that did he got the proctoring done "on the under" so to speak. Do there are people at CMC East that are able to proctor, your husband himself has to find someone in there nice enough to do it for him.

Very sad the loops these men have to go through for an education. smh
Really!?! Thanks for the info. I will tell him to keep his eyes open for someone he thinks would be willing to help.
Old 03-15-2012, 02:45 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,368 Times in 1,016 Posts

UGH... not sure if I should be mad or disappointed Hubby has been telling me he is getting out March 29th. Well, I talked to his counselor today (who, BTW is super nice and helpful ) Anyway, his counselor is still showing hubby's release date as May 10th!!
Has anyone here ever had their loved ones get the 6 weeks off for GED or anything?!? If so, how long did it take for their release date to reflect the change??
Our son's birthday is March 30th and all he wants for his birthday is for his dad to come home I am not sure where to go from here.. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!! TIA

Old 03-16-2012, 02:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patswife4-ever
UGH... not sure if I should be mad or disappointed Hubby has been telling me he is getting out March 29th. Well, I talked to his counselor today (who, BTW is super nice and helpful ) Anyway, his counselor is still showing hubby's release date as May 10th!!
Has anyone here ever had their loved ones get the 6 weeks off for GED or anything?!? If so, how long did it take for their release date to reflect the change??
Our son's birthday is March 30th and all he wants for his birthday is for his dad to come home I am not sure where to go from here.. Any info/help would be greatly appreciated!! TIA
I'm so sorry. Hopefully it's a calculation error and he will receive time off for his GED and be home for your son's birthday.
Old 03-16-2012, 02:51 PM

I'm heading up to CMC this afternoon. We're leaving early because we're expecting terrible weather. I wasn't supposed to go for a weekend visit until next week but obligations blocked that so here I am on my way after just being there Sunday. Back to back visits are great but it's going to seem like forever before I get to see him again :-(
For those of you heading up please be careful a bad storm is expected. If you're not visiting I wish you the best letters and phone calls ever.
Old 03-16-2012, 07:47 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Okay so Hubby's counselor called back today and left a VM.. unfortunately the very end of the message (the MOST IMPORTANT PART) is all jumbled and I cannot understand everything he said But.... from what it sounded like (to me and my friend) is that hubby will be home THIS MONTH!! March 29th to be exact!! I tried calling his counselor back like 20 times but he never answered his phone. And of course it is Friday so I won't be able to confirm 100% until Monday!! I am hoping for a phone call from hubby this weekend confirming also. The kids and I are soooo excited!! I just cannot believe he will be home in 13 days!!!

Old 03-16-2012, 11:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by patswife4-ever View Post
Okay so Hubby's counselor called back today and left a VM.. unfortunately the very end of the message (the MOST IMPORTANT PART) is all jumbled and I cannot understand everything he said But.... from what it sounded like (to me and my friend) is that hubby will be home THIS MONTH!! March 29th to be exact!! I tried calling his counselor back like 20 times but he never answered his phone. And of course it is Friday so I won't be able to confirm 100% until Monday!! I am hoping for a phone call from hubby this weekend confirming also. The kids and I are soooo excited!! I just cannot believe he will be home in 13 days!!!
YAY!! im SO happy for you!!

It looks like I'm going on my first contact visit next weekend, for his birthday. I decided not to go this weekend cause I'd have to trek alone from San Diego in this bad weather :/ and it's my birthday tomorrow so I'd hate to be alone in a new town.

STOKED! for next weekend. hopefully i see some of you ladies there because i get super nervous the first time i do anything!

--edit--
so im going crazy looking for shoes on the approved vendor site...it is a special order item, right? :/

Last edited by ana1989; 03-16-2012 at 11:40 PM..
The Following User Says Thank You to ana1989 For This Useful Post:
patswife4-ever (03-17-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 04:34 AM

Quote:

It looks like I'm going on my first contact visit next weekend, for his birthday. I decided not to go this weekend cause I'd have to trek alone from San Diego in this bad weather :/ and it's my birthday tomorrow so I'd hate to be alone in a new town.

STOKED! for next weekend. hopefully i see some of you ladies there because i get super nervous the first time i do anything!

--edit--
so im going crazy looking for shoes on the approved vendor site...it is a special order item, right? :/
Shoes are part of the quarterly packet items. Special purchase items are usually electronics
Old 03-17-2012, 04:38 AM

Headed to see my love. I wasn't planning on visiting, but this weather actually freed my weekend. Stay dry ladies, drive safe
Old 03-17-2012, 11:19 AM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ana1989 View Post

--edit--
HAPPY BIRTHDAY!!!

The Following User Says Thank You to patswife4-ever For This Useful Post:
ana1989 (03-18-2012)
Old 03-17-2012, 08:31 PM

Quote:
CONGRATULATIONS! That is awesome news. Let us know for sure Monday once you confirm.
Old 03-17-2012, 08:34 PM

Quote:

yay!! Im so happy for you!! :d

It looks like i'm going on my first contact visit next weekend, for his birthday. I decided not to go this weekend cause i'd have to trek alone from san diego in this bad weather :/ and it's my birthday tomorrow so i'd hate to be alone in a new town.

Stoked! For next weekend. Hopefully i see some of you ladies there because i get super nervous the first time i do anything!

--edit--
happy birthday to you happy birthday to you happy birthday dear ana happy birthday to yoooouuuu
ana1989 (03-18-2012)
Old 03-19-2012, 11:00 AM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

UGH... so frustrated!! I have not been able to get in touch with hubby's counselor and I have not heard from hubby since LAST WEEK!! I just want to know if he will be home this month!!! Hoping they get off LD soon so hubby can call....

Old 03-19-2012, 04:45 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Hubby's counselor just called me back!! Hubby will be HOME MARCH 29th!!! The kids and I are soooo excited. I just cannot believe he will be home in TEN DAYS!!! Wow.. so much to do before he gets home though!! We weren't expecting him until May 10th!! LOL I guess I better get busy..

Old 03-19-2012, 04:47 PM

Quote:
Hubby's counselor just called me back!! Hubby will be HOME MARCH 29th!!! The kids and I are soooo excited. I just cannot believe he will be home in TEN DAYS!!! Wow.. so much to do before he gets home though!! We weren't expecting him until May 10th!! LOL I guess I better get busy..
Congrats!!!! I know you are too happy for words. Get busy :-)
patswife4-ever (03-19-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 01:06 PM
~ Forever and a Week ~
Donation Award 

Was expecting a phone call from Hubby this morning but did not get one Is there another LD that I am not aware of?! LOL We only have four days left, but I need to talk to him before I pick him up. Hoping for a phone call soon!!

MY LOVE COMES HOME MARCH 29th

Old 03-25-2012, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Was expecting a phone call from Hubby this morning but did not get one Is there another LD that I am not aware of?! LOL We only have four days left, but I need to talk to him before I pick him up. Hoping for a phone call soon!!

Congrats girl!!!! I know exactly how you are feeling. My husband was released December 2011 after serving close to 13 years straight. I was a nervous wreck. I couldn't sleep, lost 10 lbs from stress, and I freaked out if he didn't call when I was expecting a call. Good luck and before you know it he will be home.
The Following User Says Thank You to Pinky99 For This Useful Post:
patswife4-ever (03-25-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 04:44 PM

Quote:

I got a call from yard 4. My husband did say that half of the phones were down today and they weren't even working on Friday.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lovin_him_4_evr For This Useful Post:
patswife4-ever (03-25-2012), rumney13 (03-26-2012)
Old 03-25-2012, 11:48 PM

my man sent a letter a few days ago saying they were on lockdown for like a week. he is on east, d quad. but it sounds like they weren't? did anyone hear anything? i feel like it might be an excuse for not sending mail that whole time

"Middle-Class White Girls Who Make National Honor Society And The Cheerleading Squad Do Not Grow Up To Visit Men In Prison..."
Quote From Author Bridget Kinsella In Her Book "Visiting Life: Women Doing Time On The Outside"
Looks Like Her And I Both Proved That Theory Wrong.
Old 03-26-2012, 12:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ashleym151
my man sent a letter a few days ago saying they were on lockdown for like a week. he is on east, d quad. but it sounds like they weren't? did anyone hear anything? i feel like it might be an excuse for not sending mail that whole time
Hey Ashley I had to laugh when I read that because I can't imagine him of all people doing that. But I have no recollection of D being on LD in the last few weeks. Dee usually tells me if another yard is down because he knows I update PTO. A quad was down for a few hours one day but the only extended LD was on West. I visited last weekend and the weekend before and I'm sure there were a few people from D out there. Don't be too hard on him though he was probably just busy with his group or something and didn't want you to fuss. Besides it's March madness he might have gotten caught up in the basketball games. Give him a break this once and tell Giggles I said it better not happen again or I'm not taking up for him :-)
ashleym151 (04-30-2012)
Old 03-26-2012, 11:18 PM

I dislike running car errands. I am capable/able to do it but I don't like it. I need him back... I just had to vent
Old 03-27-2012, 07:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lovin_him_4_evr
I dislike running car errands. I am capable/able to do it but I don't like it. I need him back... I just had to vent
I'm with you on that. I'm so tired of playing chauffeur I don't know what to do. He says every time he calls I'm either getting in the car, already in the car, or being informed by the boys of some activity they need to driven to. Hopefully we'll both have them home soon. In the meantime is 11 too young to drive?
Closed Thread