Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > FEDERAL PRISON SYSTEM > Federal Prisons > Morgantown FCI
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

Morgantown FCI Topics and discussion specific to FCI Morgantown in Morgantown, West Virginia.

Old 06-15-2010, 06:40 PM

Default Q: Is Morgantown one of the "better" prisons?

Is Morgantown considered one of the "better" federal prisons? My fiance and I have been doin research on facilities but obviously the best info is from people who have been or loved ones who have been there... Also, from what I understand there's an option for a halfway house program but can someone tell me how that works? I hope Im not asking too much, I guess I just want to be prepared and give my fiance as much info as possible.

Thanks so much everyone.
Sponsored Links
Old 06-16-2010, 11:40 AM
Two hearts~One love~6-22

My husband is at Morgantown...just from my personal experience from all the other places he was in before finally getting to Morgantown..it is one of the best places...just because it is so unique in that the place really doesn't look like a prison from the outside....halfway house is for when you are almost done with your sentence...it is to my understanding that just about everyone will go to a halfway house before they can come home..I could be wrong...we are not at that point yet..
The Following User Says Thank You to Greg's shortay For This Useful Post:
pannie1978 (06-18-2010)
Old 06-18-2010, 11:02 AM

I just left Morgantown. I actually just got out of the halfway house today. Morgantown isn't bad, but it is petty. It's basically a low security prison without the 10 minute moves. There's about 1300 inmates there. I'm from the area and it's located in a beautiful spot. The compound itself is beautiful. I talked to a lot of people while there and they just complained about it being petty. By petty I mean that they will put you in the hole for having cereal bars in your locker from the kitchen and stupid stuff like that, but I guess that's prison so you can't ask for too much flexibility. If you have any questions about that location in particular, hit me up, I left in May so I literally was just there and can answer anything for you.
The Following User Says Thank You to Billyspt4 For This Useful Post:
pannie1978 (06-18-2010)
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM

Question Questions

Quote:
Originally Posted by billyspt4 View Post
i just left morgantown. I actually just got out of the halfway house today. Morgantown isn't bad, but it is petty. It's basically a low security prison without the 10 minute moves. There's about 1300 inmates there. I'm from the area and it's located in a beautiful spot. The compound itself is beautiful. I talked to a lot of people while there and they just complained about it being petty. By petty i mean that they will put you in the hole for having cereal bars in your locker from the kitchen and stupid stuff like that, but i guess that's prison so you can't ask for too much flexibility. If you have any questions about that location in particular, hit me up, i left in may so i literally was just there and can answer anything for you.
do morgantown have a drug program and do it take 12 months off ur sentence (i got 70 months)? Can u get outside food in there like (fast foods)? How r the beds setup? Is there alot of trouble (fighting ,stabbing,etc.)? R u in a cell? Can u go outside in the yard everyday?
Old 10-30-2011, 05:32 PM

Default Morgantown ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by cr250r View Post
do morgantown have a drug program and do it take 12 months off ur sentence (i got 70 months)? Can u get outside food in there like (fast foods)? How r the beds setup? Is there alot of trouble (fighting ,stabbing,etc.)? R u in a cell? Can u go outside in the yard everyday?

HA HA .. stabbings ... not in Morgantown FCI ... that is Club Fed !!! It is a great place to go if you have to go ... I spent 11 months there ... it is a camp ... no fences ans lots of things to do. I saw one fight and heard about another ... it is very safe.
Old 11-27-2011, 05:47 PM

I been to FCI-MRG twice, once on my sentence where I started out at a high, and the second time for a 8 month supervised release violation. It is CLUB FED. Nothing to worry about. You are safer than downtown in a large city. It's college without girls, alcohol and drugs. Staff are laid back, especially if you came from a higher level facility (they'll cut you slack). There are no cells, just cottages and dorms unless you are "in-transit". As in all camps, just don't let others know your business.
Old 01-01-2012, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris5225 View Post
I been to FCI-MRG twice, once on my sentence where I started out at a high, and the second time for a 8 month supervised release violation. It is CLUB FED. Nothing to worry about. You are safer than downtown in a large city. It's college without girls, alcohol and drugs. Staff are laid back, especially if you came from a higher level facility (they'll cut you slack). There are no cells, just cottages and dorms unless you are "in-transit". As in all camps, just don't let others know your business.
Is there a/c? Weights? Is the surrounding area scenic so you can see wildlife?
Old 01-09-2012, 06:12 AM
missing kev

Air conditioning in SOME buildings, definitely not the majority. There are weights, and there is definitely wildlife. I live in the country and sometimes I think I see more varied wildlife outside the visiting room than I do here in the sticks. Groundhogs, deer, geese, ducks... there was a little family of racoons for a while, but they are probably all big racoons now. I never saw them, but my bf used to talk about seeing them out the window when we were on the phone.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:17 AM

Default just leaving morgantown

morgantown is a cool spot to be at. food is very very bad.get your love ones a goggle voice number so you can save on phone bill . if you need help setting it up email me
Old 03-05-2012, 04:07 AM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,175 Times in 2,539 Posts

This is my friendly reminder that any type of call forwarding is frowned upon by the BOP and if found out is reason to have phone privileges taken away.

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck50 View Post
morgantown is a cool spot to be at. food is very very bad.get your love ones a goggle voice number so you can save on phone bill . if you need help setting it up email me
Old 01-30-2013, 03:59 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck50 View Post
Hi, what is a google voice number and how do I set it up?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:05 PM
Til Death Do Us Part
Donation Award 

Default google voice

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobwilliams5 View Post
Hi, what is a google voice number and how do I set it up?
go to https://www.google.com/voice and log on to ur gmail account. If u don't have a gmail account, just set one up. the area code for MRG is 304, try to get a number in MRG, if it isn't available try Fairmont.

Last edited by Mrs_W; 01-31-2013 at 05:07 PM.. Reason: wrong link
Old 02-01-2013, 04:48 AM

Staff Superstar Winner PTO Site Moderator 

Donation Award 

Thanked 5,175 Times in 2,539 Posts

Again I will state, any kind of call forwarding, including but not limited to Google Voice, is frowned upon by the BOP. If you use a call forwarding service and it is discovered, you are subject to losing your phone privileges.

I recommended getting a cell phone that has the local area code and exchange to the facility your LO is in.