Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > RESOURCE CENTER > The Drug War
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

The Drug War A war against drugs, or against families?

View Poll Results: Do you think the that first-time felon drug charges should be thrown in prison?
Yes 51 7.37%
No 641 92.63%
Voters: 692. You may not vote on this poll

Old 12-08-2011, 05:35 AM

My bf case is similar, non-violent drug charges. Had previous drug charges that were dismissed. He was sentenced 3-10. Hoping he will only have to do 4-5 more months, this is the longest time hes had to do.
Sponsored Links
Old 12-08-2011, 11:24 AM
Donation Award 

Thanked 1,279 Times in 602 Posts

Ky made some changes in the laws here this year ..............and they changed some of the felony charges to misdeamenors and will just give citations to non violent misdeamenor offenses
http://www.wpsdlocal6.com/news/local...123423539.html
Old 12-15-2011, 03:08 PM
Glad I'm Out

As a first time drug offender and first time felon, it was a HORRIBLE idea to send me to prison. Why would they want to send me to a drug/crime education school like that?

A few months in jail was definitely enough.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to JasonJames For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-11-2012), SusanWayward (09-08-2012)
Old 12-15-2011, 03:33 PM

My bf got charged with heroin. They found it while he was crossing the Mexican border. I wonder if it helps that its his first time?
Old 01-10-2012, 12:58 PM
Still Believe

My son is 24. When he was 22 his best friend came into our home and asked him for some hydrocodone that I had a prescription for. My son gave him some and the "best friend" was wired. My son was picked up a couple of months later in a drug run on Trafficking charges. In Florida they go by the weight. The hydrocodone was the lowest dose and it was the largest pill. He was not a user, he was not a seller, he is definitely not a trafficker. He had a public defender. Actually it took 2 years for him to be sentenced and he went through 2 state attorneys (the first one was fired), 2 public defenders (the first one quit) and 2 judges (the first one retired). He was sentenced by the 2nd judge who had been in office for 1 month and was sentenced to 7 years. His first offense. We still do not know the logic behind any of this. There is a change in the drug laws here which is trying to get through, but of course, we have no clue as to how long it will take, but if it gets through there are a lot of people who will have a chance to get out of prison. My son will now be known as a trafficker. If they are going to arrest people on trafficking this way - they should be in an age-restricted community. At the end of the month there is more drug (prescription pills) trading going on than in the town. Everyone is put into one category no matter what the circumstances are and no matter what type of pills. As some of you have said, this is a big business. The bail bondsmen get their cut, the city gets their cut, the state gets their cut. I'm not even going to start about the attorneys. Then the amount of money spent on phone calls, canteens, some extra clothes, etc., etc. In the meantime, families are destroyed, lives are destroyed. It has to change!!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to lindaland13 For This Useful Post:
mortimersmith (01-06-2013), Tyler's Momma (05-28-2012)
Old 01-10-2012, 01:14 PM
Still Believe

Default Drug War

Quote:
Originally Posted by Berae View Post
Look, I have sympathy for people who have had "the book" thrown at them. But seriously, I don't care how trite or unfair the laws in your state are, those are the laws on the books and this ridiculous war on drugs have caused millions of people to suffer because they think it wont happen to them. If you are going to risk breaking the law you need to be aware of the possible repercussions, period. If your state has draconian drug laws, maybe you should consider either moving or here's a thought... don't break those laws. But you cannot in hindsight bitch and complain when you get caught, It makes you sound ignorant.
Unfortunately, a lot of us are "ignorant". If we have never been in trouble before or had anything to do with felony charges, and we have always trusted the judicial system, how do we know what to do? How many people look up the law before they do something? The laws are not the same in every state. How do we know that? If we are not a dealer, or a trafficker, or a user, how are we suppose to know that giving a friend some medicine we have that works for a legitimate condition they have, will put us in prison (for a long time)? Why is giving someone a pill that has more non-drug medicine than prescription drug in it the same as someone selling 100x that amount of the prescription drug, receiving a lesser charge because the pill is smaller and doesn't weigh as much? So now they are back on the street and have learned the weight differential. Why is the person giving some medicine to one friend considered a trafficker while someone on the street daily is only considered a seller and gets less time? Unfortunately, for a lot, the ignorance only goes away after the damage has been done.
The Following User Says Thank You to lindaland13 For This Useful Post:
Tyler's Momma (05-28-2012)
Old 01-11-2012, 07:46 AM

I believe we need to decriminalize drugs in general. I don't think first timers should get jail or prison time and I don't believe in probation either. Probation is a setup to go to prison. We need to take a look at other countries with lower drug abuse rates and lower crime rates and see what it is that they are doing that we are not. Locking people away does not solve the "problem," on either end - drugs will continue to be sold and abused regardless as to whether or not the individual seller or user is in jail, and the individual in jail will not benefit or rehabilitate by going to jail. It's a lose-lose situation. I don't think people should blindly obey the law either just because it's on the books.

The Following User Says Thank You to BadGrlGoneGood For This Useful Post:
MrsCetina (05-31-2012)
Old 01-13-2012, 03:00 PM

Gotta love the mandatory sentencing. Not.

Someone with no criminal history...and I mean none, not so much as a speeding ticket...(and they are in their 40's), a job with the federal government where they a) had to be drug free to get the job and b) had to remain drug free to keep the job, property owner, small business owner, growing some marijuana on their own private fenced property (no fewer than 4 fences had to be crossed to get to it...all posted no trespassing) is sentenced to the 5-year mitigated minimum sentence.

So now this person who was actually a productive member of society, who contributed quite a bit in the way of taxes and was a consumer helping out other businesses is gone. As a result of an illegal tresspass by an off duty border patrol agent...but who cares, the person was evil because they grew some pot.

Any guesses what this person is learning in prison?
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to skyline_pigeon For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-14-2012), mortimersmith (01-06-2013), MrsCetina (05-31-2012), ThxInAdvance (12-30-2012)
Old 01-17-2012, 06:42 PM

I agree about the great injustice of the "justice system"... How can a judge and jury (in my husbands case) put him behind bars for 12 YEARS for supposed CONSPIRACY to traffic marijuana??? Go figure. Nothing on him, not a thing, and thats what he got. First time being caught with mar. on you I believe gets you 5 years... yet you can throw someone away for 12 on conspiracy. What is going on????
The Following User Says Thank You to nicksjellybean For This Useful Post:
mortimersmith (01-06-2013)
Old 01-18-2012, 09:46 AM

So I have been reading through the posts on this thread and have come to this conclusion. (let me just ad before I begin that my husband was sentenced to 5 years on a cultivation charge for what they said was 10 marajuana plants. I myself do not use it and never will and after this do not want it anywhere around me.) That being said, I think that the ignorance here is in the law itself not so much the individuals that are breaking the so called law. The punishment for a first time drug offence is rediculus if you ask me. How many of these first time offenders do you think really new exactly what they were doing? Think about it if they did they would not of got caught however now that the state has put them in jail they are prevy to all the secrets and know how of how to do it better the next go round. Grantit some may get out and never do it again, some will. Some are using these drugs to self medicate for an underlined medical condition and instead of prison what they really need is some kind of rehabilitation that will work one on one with them to find out what makes them want to use drugs and fix the problem. It is not that they are bad people. Come on, how many of you use your cell phone while driving even though that may be against the law in your state. You still do it knowing you could get caught and get introuble. The laws on first time drug offences need to change. We are paying good money for first time offenders to be in prison when we don't have to. There are other much better options for this. Why do we put them in a cell and leave them to thier vices? That is not helping anything. The prisons are overcrowed enough as it is and we are the ones paying to house them there. Come on people who are the real ignorant ones here? I don't know about yall but I think this is all just crazy expecially after reading some of yalls posts and the circumstances in which some of these individuals are spending years in prison for. Something has got to change.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to loulabell For This Useful Post:
BadGrlGoneGood (01-20-2012), kyi kyi (02-27-2012), mortimersmith (01-06-2013), MrsCetina (05-31-2012), Tyler's Momma (05-28-2012)
Old 02-04-2012, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lindaland13 View Post
My son is 24. When he was 22 his best friend came into our home and asked him for some hydrocodone that I had a prescription for. My son gave him some and the "best friend" was wired. My son was picked up a couple of months later in a drug run on Trafficking charges. In Florida they go by the weight. The hydrocodone was the lowest dose and it was the largest pill. He was not a user, he was not a seller, he is definitely not a trafficker. He had a public defender. Actually it took 2 years for him to be sentenced and he went through 2 state attorneys (the first one was fired), 2 public defenders (the first one quit) and 2 judges (the first one retired). He was sentenced by the 2nd judge who had been in office for 1 month and was sentenced to 7 years. His first offense. We still do not know the logic behind any of this. There is a change in the drug laws here which is trying to get through, but of course, we have no clue as to how long it will take, but if it gets through there are a lot of people who will have a chance to get out of prison. My son will now be known as a trafficker. If they are going to arrest people on trafficking this way - they should be in an age-restricted community. At the end of the month there is more drug (prescription pills) trading going on than in the town. Everyone is put into one category no matter what the circumstances are and no matter what type of pills. As some of you have said, this is a big business. The bail bondsmen get their cut, the city gets their cut, the state gets their cut. I'm not even going to start about the attorneys. Then the amount of money spent on phone calls, canteens, some extra clothes, etc., etc. In the meantime, families are destroyed, lives are destroyed. It has to change!!
You are so right, that right there ought to strike FL's crazy drug laws unconstitutional. If they ever set up informants and sent them to the senior citizen parks they's be dragging them out by the truckload. Thing is they don't want old people in prison cause their medical care is so expensive.

They've already shut down 6 or 7 FL prisons because of the budget and FL constituionally must have a balanced budget. There are some cases in the higher courts that are trying to undo FL's draconian pill laws, hopefully they'll help your son. Good luck.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to xlabel For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (09-08-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 01:18 AM

Angry

Its all a money making game and believe me the more people that they can lock up and make felons are more people that lose their right to vote, to be able to tell the truth on a job app....The rich people like Lindsey Lohan and Charlie Sheen never see time, and they've been getting high for years in front of his kids!! He is WINNING!
Locking someone up does not solve the problem...and believe me I know...Mike Huckabee was the only one that tried to do anything about getting people rehab and he's the only one that stood up for people. He was the best Govenor that Ark ever had. Start a petition to the white house and have people sign a letter that we are sick of them ruining lives over a lil dope....rapist get off with less time than a person caught with dope...and molesters can never be rehabilitated and they know that and they still let them walk the streets with their balls intact...Its a crazy world!
Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think the whole school zone thing is ridiculous anyway. If someone is soliciting drugs to children then yes, they should get a harsher punishment. And I am not saying that I believe in drugs in any way; however, the school zone thing is STUPID. Just because someone is in a school zone does not mean that they are dealing drugs to kids. The school zones are so large that in some counties pretty much the whole city is a school zone.

You also have people that get caught with drugs in THEIR OWN HOUSE that aren't even selling these drugs, be it marijuana or whatever that live across the street from a school or down the street from a school.

I don't think that first-time offenders should go to prison. Not at all. The government should be getting HELP for these people. Not locking them up in prison away from their families. The only people that actually are being punished by this is the offender's families. I think that if you commit a NONAGGRIVATED or VIOLENT crime, such as dealing drugs or doing drugs that instead of throwing you in prison for a HUGE amount of time that you should be given probation. Give the person a chance to realize on their own that what they have done is wrong. Give the person the chance to see how much trouble they could have actually gotten into. Tell them that this time you are given probation, next time you are given 10 years in prison, and I bet you 80% of the people do not get involved in this kind of trouble again. And that is 80% less space taken up in the prisons by drug offenders. And that is 80% more people that can support their families. That is 80% less families on welfare. The prisons are overcrowded as it is. The government is spending God knows how much money on feeding and housing these prisoners, when they could be given a chance to do right, but instead are being thrown in prison, taken away from their families, and leaving a HUGE mess of bills for women and children. It's just not right.

That's my opinion on it. But of course, the beauty of America is that we have freedom of speech.

If you don't like it, I'm sorry! But that's how I feel.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mamarocks For This Useful Post:
Furrcats (09-01-2013), unsneakycindy (02-17-2012)
Old 02-06-2012, 09:57 AM

Crime is actually dropping nationwide lately, but drugs are around and plentiful as ever. They can't use that line anymore, Drugs = Crime. Now they're on a crusade to save lives, 7 people a day die from pill overdose in FL they claim. They're gonna throw the book at you in the name of saving your life and put you in jail we're you can be stabbed and killed over a pair of sneakers or a bag of chips, makes a lot of sense doesn't it?
The Following User Says Thank You to xlabel For This Useful Post:
SusanWayward (09-08-2012)
Old 02-07-2012, 09:52 AM

My man hasn't been sentenced yet but he got caught with a ton of shit. We have a 5 year old and a 5 month old. It's his first ever offence too. We're not rich so we can't pay a judge off but man oh man he's facing time. Serious serious time. Damn.
Old 02-16-2012, 06:01 PM
Banned

Unhappy Prescription Drug Addicted Son Died in Prison of Illegal Drugs!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HopeFaithNLove View Post
I think someone should start a petition on first-time drug charges going to prison. I think that some people get into more trouble than they could have expected.

They should be given an automatic chance on probation with some type of class that has to be taken as well, instead of being thrown in prison for 2-10 years or more!

If you agree please post here. If you know anything about trying to change the law in US please let me know!

I am in Texas!
This was MY SON'S FIRST OFFENSE, FIRST TIME ARRESTED, FIRST TIME IN JAIL AND FIRST TIME IN PRISON!!! NO CRIMINAL RECORD... My son died of a heroin overdose in prison after serving only 1 yr and 3 months of his 13 yr sentence! He had robbed some pharmacies for Oxycontin and Zanax!!! Not for money, but to feed his sick addiction! No one was physically touched by him.

I had always heard that a drug addicts either die or go to prison... I HAD NEVER HEARD.... And your loved one could die of an overdose of ILLEGAL DRUGS IN PRISON!!! The worst place to put a sick drug addicts, is in prisons where there are Illegal Drugs available! Where is the Zero Tolerance??? So how many inmates die from illegal drug overdoses in prison???

The Arizona DOC accepts no responsibility for my son's death! And they blame only the visitors for bringing these illegal drugs into the prison, but we know that is NOT the only way they get in!!! Their attitude is that my son's precious life was only considered as collateral damage!??? His fault!? Really??? No one really cares about 'inmates'!

My son's death WAS PREVENTABLE had there been some alternate program available to help him and other sick drug addicts! Now his 4 yr old son can't understand where his daddy is and why he can't even visit his daddy anymore!!! His wife of over 10 yrs is now a widow! We are all BROKEN!!! His dad cries everyday, my 2 sons miss their brother... and I have no more joy left in me!

The laws must be changed!!! Although my beloved son is dead, I want to help change the laws, as no parent should ever have to bury their child, adult or not!!! This was a life changing horror for us. I gave the DOC my son alive and paying his debt to society and they gave me back his body! This is so morally wrong!!!

Where is the Zero Tolorance against Illegal Drugs getting into our prisons? Do they have an active drug testing program for the hired staff (civilian and officers)? I never hear of visitors being arrested... and if that was the only way these illegal drugs get in (like the DOC says) you NEVER hear anything about their arrests.

I don't know where to start in changing any laws, but I am willing to do what I can to help other sons, daughters, dads, mothers, brothers and sisters!

If I can help you in ANYWAY... please contact me!!! I am in Arizona.

**AZ Prisons are not Safe for Drug Addicts!**
**STOP Illegal Drugs in Prison!**
Old 02-20-2012, 09:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by unsneakycindy

This was MY SON'S FIRST OFFENSE, FIRST TIME ARRESTED, FIRST TIME IN JAIL AND FIRST TIME IN PRISON!!! NO CRIMINAL RECORD... My son died of a heroin overdose in prison after serving only 1 yr and 3 months of his 13 yr sentence! He had robbed some pharmacies for Oxycontin and Zanax!!! Not for money, but to feed his sick addiction! No one was physically touched by him.

I had always heard that a drug addicts either die or go to prison... I HAD NEVER HEARD.... And your loved one could die of an overdose of ILLEGAL DRUGS IN PRISON!!! The worst place to put a sick drug addicts, is in prisons where there are Illegal Drugs available! Where is the Zero Tolerance??? So how many inmates die from illegal drug overdoses in prison???

The Arizona DOC accepts no responsibility for my son's death! And they blame only the visitors for bringing these illegal drugs into the prison, but we know that is NOT the only way they get in!!! Their attitude is that my son's precious life was only considered as collateral damage!??? His fault!? Really??? No one really cares about 'inmates'!

My son's death WAS PREVENTABLE had there been some alternate program available to help him and other sick drug addicts! Now his 4 yr old son can't understand where his daddy is and why he can't even visit his daddy anymore!!! His wife of over 10 yrs is now a widow! We are all BROKEN!!! His dad cries everyday, my 2 sons miss their brother... and I have no more joy left in me!

The laws must be changed!!! Although my beloved son is dead, I want to help change the laws, as no parent should ever have to bury their child, adult or not!!! This was a life changing horror for us. I gave the DOC my son alive and paying his debt to society and they gave me back his body! This is so morally wrong!!!

Where is the Zero Tolorance against Illegal Drugs getting into our prisons? Do they have an active drug testing program for the hired staff (civilian and officers)? I never hear of visitors being arrested... and if that was the only way these illegal drugs get in (like the DOC says) you NEVER hear anything about their arrests.

I don't know where to start in changing any laws, but I am willing to do what I can to help other sons, daughters, dads, mothers, brothers and sisters!

If I can help you in ANYWAY... please contact me!!! I am in Arizona.

**AZ Prisons are not Safe for Drug Addicts!**
**STOP Illegal Drugs in Prison!**
I agree 110% instead of putting someone in prison for a mental sickness that they feel the need to self medicate for. GET THEM HELP.. The system failed ur son.. he needed rehab an detox.. like most to all men and women in prison for drug addiction.. I would feel much better knowing my tax dollars are going to get a sick person the help they need...if there was something I could do to get these laws changed I would..
Old 02-21-2012, 01:15 PM

I agree with the first time drug offenders given another chance. Could've been worse
Old 02-24-2012, 10:58 PM

Please go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: nonviolent federal parole and sign please!!!
Old 02-24-2012, 11:13 PM

Go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: Nonviolent federal offenders and sign the petition!!
We have to start somewhere. It needs 10,000 signatures and is no where near that. Please help support it.
Old 03-28-2012, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchweiksGirl
Go to "www.petitionsite.com" KEYWORD: Nonviolent federal offenders and sign the petition!!
We have to start somewhere. It needs 10,000 signatures and is no where near that. Please help support it.
I just signed =) thanks for bringing this to my attention,, I just posted on fb & sent out text
Old 04-01-2012, 07:13 PM

My bf got 24 years for manufacturing and intent to deliver meth. He just got caught up in the wrong thing and went into a downward spiral for 9 months. :-(
Old 04-23-2012, 02:07 AM

Default It's not just whether it's your first time

Yup, I didn't vote basically because it's not just whether it's your first time. If the first time was heavy enough, prison may be a lawful way (say, instead of a death penalty).

But yeah there are definitely alternatives. Besides, prison is not the best place for rehabilitation. When you put someone in jail, it shouldn't be just to purely punish the person but to convert the person to something useful. We have to get to the root of this to solve the actual problem. Otherwise these drug offenders will likely just keep re-offending. And drug prices are just gonna keep soaring high in the black market making drugs stuff even more lucrative.
Old 05-20-2012, 10:31 AM
Unrepentant Mule-Wearer
Donation Award 

Hi all -

I really appreciate the feeling behind the starting of this thread. But I do want to say, starting online petitions is one of the least effective ways to get our elected officials to sit up and take notice.

You must start contacting your people in Congress, and your State & local elected officials. Write letters to them, make phone calls and maybe join with others in your LOCAL area to get state laws changed and on a national level, there are organizations like the Drug Policy Alliance (google that I'm not sure I can put a link to it) you can donate and also get involved in campaigns with them.

Other organizations:

NORML
Law Enforcement Against Prohibition
NADCP (organization that supports the use of Drug Courts instead of jails)
Moms United To End the War On Drugs

To the mom here who lost her son to a heroin overdose: I am so sorry for your loss. Yours is a case where maybe a Drug Court would have gotten your son into treatment and prevented your family's tragedy. I hope you are able to tell your story to the right people and perhaps bring about some change - it is sadly too late for your own family but perhaps you can find peace in helping to bring about change for the next family - and please, get a GOOD lawyer, too if you do not already have one.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:08 PM

I think for a sometimes jail/prison can be a wake up call. But I think think that is rare. Most addicts and drug users need treatment, counseling and other resources to help them. I think prison /jail should only be an option when other option fail.
The Following User Says Thank You to LadeeInWaiting For This Useful Post:
cottage style (08-05-2012)
Old 10-13-2012, 04:03 PM
Account Closed

My 46 year old husband got set up with pills. His luck the only person he ever sold to was trying to turn people to get his own sentence reduced. He is a first time offender and non violent and was sentenced to a mandatory 25 years just yesterday. After everything we've been through, he wouldn't give someone even an aspirin for a headache. But they will give him no second chance and now I am going to be a single mom with 2 little girls that he used to provide for. This war on drugs completely sucks when it comes to situations like ours. With the judge's hands tied, it put all the power in the prosecutor's hands. This is not justice.