Welcome to the Prison Talk Online Community! Take a Minute and Sign Up Today!

Go Back   Prison Talk > U.S. REGIONAL FORUMS > SOUTH CAROLINA > South Carolina General Prison Talk
Register Entertainment FAQ Calendar Mark Forums Read

Notices

South Carolina General Prison Talk Topics & Discussions relating to Prison & the Criminal Justice System in SC that do not fit into any other SC subforum.

Old 02-14-2012, 07:59 AM
Account Closed

Default Western Union vs. JPay

I found out a little bit of info last night that I wanted to pass along to everyone. I needed to transfer money to my husband for him to go to canteen today, but he didn't tell me he needed anything until 6pm last night. I was on my way home from work and wasn't going to be able to transfer until later. I sent the money through Western Union at 7:30pm last night and it actually posted to his account last night. Sending money through JPay meant having to send it before 3pm the day before his canteen day so it would process.

What I took away from this is that you can Western Union money online to an inmate after 3pm and still have it post to their account that night so it's available to them the next day. With JPay, you have to send it prior to 3pm the day before their canteen day in order for it to be available to them the next day. The fees are pretty comparable from what I can tell and with a Western Union Gold Card (their rewards program..free to sign up), you can earn points every transfer to apply toward a fee reduction or just take the points and convert them to cash for yourself (sent in a pre-paid debit card).

I hope someone finds this useful. I was shocked when he called me this morning and told me the money was there for him to spend today. Needless to say he was thrilled.
Sponsored Links
Old 02-16-2012, 08:08 AM

As always, you have given us valuable information. Thanks.
The Following User Says Thank You to lteal1979 For This Useful Post:
seeyouin10 (02-16-2012)
Old 02-18-2012, 08:31 PM

That's great to know! Last week I tried Money Gram. It was cheaper than jpay. Not sure if it's as fast as western union tho.